Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yep, Tommy. Agreed. For the better for sure. At the same time, I do respect either side. You can make crappy music with MIDI and RD's/RT's, or good with either or both. I do prefer the real stuff, though

Cheers,
Mike

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
As long as the tone is 'in the ballpark' you can emulate the instrument. After all, what is good tone? (We've been here before, but for the newbies). Is good guitar tone Hendrix, Stevie Ray, Jimmy Page, Joe Pass, Eric Gale, Slash, Jeff Beck, Vai, EVH, Kessell, Wes Montgomery, George Harrison, Brian Setzer? And on which guitar? Which amp? Which FX pedal?

The trick to making a MIDI file sound like the instrument you are emulating is to use the continuous controllers available to copy the nuances and articulations of the instrument in question. This requires:
  • Analytically listening to the instrument to hear how the particular instrument gets its expression - if you play a guitar patch like a piano you aren't going to fool anyone
  • Exploring the patch you are using to see which expressive nuances of the instrument you are emulating you it will reproduce (play these)
  • Exploring the patch to see which parameters of the patch will definitely not sound like the instrument you are emulating (avoid these)

It's a little like a comedian/impressionist emulating a famous person. When you hear the comedian 'doing' George W Bush, Obama, or any other famous person, you hear the famous person, not the comedian. Now the comedian does not have the same voice as the person he/she is 'doing' so why do you hear the President (or whoever else he/she is emulating)? Because the comedian has reproduced the nuances of the famous persons speech pattern, repeated the nuances he/she can reproduce and avoided ones he/she cannot.

In emulating an instrument, you can't just plug in the notes. Saxophones often 'scoop' up to notes in the beginning of the phrase and other stressed notes, vibrato on a sax is usually greater below zero pitch than above it, vibrato is often delayed and variable, longer notes are seldom held at the same volume for the duration of the notes, the dynamics of a phrase are never constant, phrases need to breathe, slight distortion can be added at times, etc., etc., etc., depending on the song and part you are playing.

Most guitarists use vibrato from pitch zero to higher and back, unless they are using the whammy bar, then for most guitars it's below zero pitch and back, guitarists use hammer-ons/pull-offs often, other expressive elements are slides, bends, etc., etc. Listen and copy.

There is an art and science to it. But if you want to play your own music instead of someone else's music, these are the things you should learn.

There are a couple of benefits to this
  • This will open your ears to music, you will listen to music in an entirely new way and get more pleasure out of music knowing how the instruments got their expression
  • It will make you a better musician on your own 'home' instrument.
I know that learning to emulate guitars, saxes, and other instruments have even helped me get more expression out of my 'pure synth' patches. I use tricks playing acoustic saxophone that I learned while trying to emulate a few things Jimmy Smith did on B-3 organ. When I learned to play lead guitar, I brought along things I learned on saxophone, like leaving room for breaths in my phrasing.

True I get a little defensive when people say that MIDI cannot sound like "the real thing". What you are really saying is that you cannot make MIDI sound like the real thing -- and with an attitude like that, you will never learn to make MIDI sound like the real thing. But remember, over half the MIDI sound modules on the market use digital samples of the instruments to make their sounds. The digital sample is as real as the sound on the audio loop. It is a recording of a real instrument. The reason why it doesn't sound right is because the player hasn't acquired the skills to make it sound right.

Music is a lifelong learning process. When I was in school, according to the Florida Bandmaster's Association I was the best saxophone player in the state each and every year that I went to state contest. I'm not saying that to brag. The point is this, I have learned new things about saxophone and/or music constantly since then. Sergei Rachmaninov said, “Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music.” What I think he meant and what I agree with is that if you live to be 120 years old, there are still things you can learn about music.

Learning is growing, and when you quit growing, you are dead.

Those clips I made in my last post were done on a synth module that was made in the 90s. It doesn't even use sampled voices but relies on Physical Modeling synthesis. But yet I could fool dozens of guitarists on a guitar forum into thinking it was a real guitar.

And even if the sounds were inferior, that doesn't matter to the audience. After all, does Dr. John, Madonna, John Lennon, Stevie Nicks, Rod Stewart and dozens of other stars have great voices? No, but they have great expression for their targeted audience. Expression is much more important than tone.

So don't say that MIDI sounds are inferior and then expect me not to debate the point with you.

So repeat after me:
  • MIDI has no sound
  • Synthesizers have sounds and are played by MIDI messages
  • Some synths sound cheesy, some sound excellent, some use digital samples of 'real' instruments, others us different froms of synthesis
  • There are 128 continuous controllers available to make the articulation and expression of the synthesizer sound emulate the instrument you want to play
  • Movie soundtracks, blockbuster recordings, virtually modern synthesizer, bands from local venues to national exposure, and even symphony orchestras use MIDI and they wouldn't use it if it was in any way inferior
  • The audience doesn't care about the finer points of tone, they want to hear the song and they want to hear it expressed well
  • With MIDI you can play your own music, with audio loops you can only assemble what others have played
  • There is more than one right way to make music, and MIDI is not inferior to any other way.

Using MIDI I have played on Cruise Ships, 5 star hotels, Television (ABC, NBC, CBS, MTV and BBC), Yacht Clubs, Country Clubs, and in a dozen or so different countries. I make my living doing music and nothing but music, and MIDI is a major part of that. In other words, there isn't anything wrong with MIDI. It is one of the finest tools in our musical toolbox.

There, I've said it again.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You could buy a cheap guitar and save a ton of money, time and it would sound just like a real guitar. My used Strat Ultra cost $200 my 65 Vox amp $350 but you can find even cheaper stuff on eBay. If I was a Sax Player I would play a real one. If real instruments sounded worse than MIDI instruments you would never see anything else in a real studio. All real studios have a disproportional amount of equipment geared towards real instruments and real voices. They all have what they need to make MIDI sound great also,but in all the 100's of sessions I've ever done no one has ever said why don't you play your MIDI guitar it sounds better than your real guitar. I have played piano parts on a MIDI guitar,but I still would rather have the real piano that it was trying to emulate. People that want to use MIDI should use it, when all else fails I use it. It's just not my Biab go to guy and until PG made Real Tracks I saw no need to update just to get more MIDI, I would just edit it to get what I wanted or just make a new style. I would think the average user would save a fortune just using Real Tracks by not having to keep buying something to make MIDI work for them. You can get some very Pro sounds and never leave a PG product start to finish just by using their latest and greatest RT's. But for me I need a lot more to make MIDI passable for me. PG must have paid a small fortune to accomplish this Incredible new RT lineup, musicians of this quality in a real studio would be more than most could ever afford. Just ask your local studio how much to get these guys and have them wait while you write a song!

Off-Topic
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

Yes I listened to all the links on this page ,it did not sound like a real guitar. It didn't sound awful just not like a real guitar,it was better than the Sax though. Over the years I have played guitars that were MIDI controllers they all sounded better as a piano than a guitar. If PG didn't think the same they would have stayed a MIDI only program,don't you think they changed for the better?

Ok, I see where the disagreement lies. You are saying the Hendrix style guitar doesn't sound like a 'real' guitar and on that I agree. I never claimed it did. What I did claim is that it sounds 'good'. And I maintain that claim. The sound that's possible now with BiaB midi tracks is orders of magnitude better than it was with prior versions.

Furthermore, I have said all along, and many others have said the same, that when mixed with RTs and RDs these guitar tracks can fool a non-musician. As a bassist I might not be fooled by a particular midi bassline even dressed up with good FX and emulation since I'd likely spot the problems with articulation and expression. But I'd quite likely be fooled by a good sax line since I know nothing about sax. To me that means midi has become far more usable than it was in the past.

Since I use BiaB mainly for backing tracks to play bass or sing to the holy grail of midi is not whether it sounds absolutly 'real' but whether it creates the illusion of jamming with a great musician like Hendrix and IMO it does that.

BiaB 2013 b366, RB 2013 b4, WinXP Pro SP3, Toshiba M70, 1.8GHz 2GB RAM 100GB HD. Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, Ketron SD2.BiaB Wiki
Off-Topic
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

If real instruments sounded worse than MIDI instruments you would never see anything else in a real studio.

Once again this is where the difference in opinion lies. I'm sure nobody ever meant that midi can sound better than a real istrument played by a real player. If you were doing this intentionally, which I don't think you are, that would be a strawman argument. Easy to dismiss because no one is really claiming this in the first place. I think it's just a misunderstanding of what is really being claimed about midi, that midi can now sound good enough to give an illusion of a real player and instrument especially when combined with RTs and RDs and especially to a non-musician.

BiaB 2013 b366, RB 2013 b4, WinXP Pro SP3, Toshiba M70, 1.8GHz 2GB RAM 100GB HD. Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, Ketron SD2.BiaB Wiki
Off-Topic
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

I do prefer the real stuff, though

So do I. But you can't do covers with RTs alone. That's why the improvement to midi is so startling. I find I can now do a signature guitar lick using midi and have it sound good enough to give the illusion of a real player.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
It's not really midi that has improved is it ? It is the availability of better VST's etc. for rendering the generic midi data.

The 'Hendrix' experiment is really to tout the Amplitube plugs more than the midi. It's the rendering that makes it sound 'good' (matter of opinion though).

As a guitar player, I would never use midi for guitar parts. What I need it for is horns, strings, occassional acoustic bass guitar, percussion. If these were available as RealTracks, by all means I would use them instead of rendered midi parts (except where I needed a signature line, lick...but NEVER midi guitar in my case)

On a side note, I find it amusing that this topic is so polarizing ! Almost as much fun as political or religious doctrinal threads elsewere.

Off-Topic
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

It's not really midi that has improved is it ? It is the availability of better VST's etc. for rendering the generic midi data.

Yes, that's what I was really emphasizing in the original tip. Strangely (or not) the discussion soon turned to the value of midi itself.

Quote:

The 'Hendrix' experiment is really to tout the Amplitube plugs more than the midi. It's the rendering that makes it sound 'good' (matter of opinion though).

Actually, while I like Amplitube a lot, I couldn't get the Hendrixy sound from amplitube with any of the free presets. I used the Camel Crusher distortion pluggin and the Juicy77 amp (plus a little phaser) to get that sound.

Amplitube is great for cleaner sounds but Juicy77 is miles ahead for overdriven guitar leads IMO.

Quote:

As a guitar player, I would never use midi for guitar parts. What I need it for is horns, strings, occassional acoustic bass guitar, percussion. If these were available as RealTracks, by all means I would use them instead of rendered midi parts (except where I needed a signature line, lick...but NEVER midi guitar in my case)

Agreed. As a bass player I wouldn't use midi for bass even though I generally suck.

Quote:

On a side note, I find it amusing that this topic is so polarizing ! Almost as much fun as political or religious doctrinal threads elsewere.

I know. I guess midi advocates are liberal and RT advocates are conservative. Those on the far left or right will never agree because they don't even hear each other. Only moderates can have a coherent conversastion.

Yep, it does sound a lot like politics.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

can fool a non-musician.

I think there are a lot of musicians on this site, some quite good.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Sorry, I thought the Camel Crusher and Juicy77 were patches available in Amplitube. I'm sure the full blown version of Amplitube would have the distortion sounds desired... not willing to invest the $239+ for it however.

A thread title of 'New VST's enhance midi..' might have diffused the midi debate a tad (I doubt it though) ;-)

Off-Topic
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

Sorry, I thought the Camel Crusher and Juicy77 were patches available in Amplitube. I'm sure the full blown version of Amplitube would have the distortion sounds desired... not willing to invest the $239+ for it however.

Try Juicy77 and Camel Crusher. Both are free. Camel Crusher requires registration but that's all. You'll like them. Not suggesting they replace amplitube though.

Quote:

A thread title of 'New VST's enhance midi..' might have diffused the midi debate a tad (I doubt it though) ;-)

I think you may be correct. I'm lousy at thinking up titles.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
That would be an excellent Topic Mitch ,one where people could share Ideas on how to make MIDI sound better. Very Constructive Idea 1+!

Off-Topic
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

Quote:

can fool a non-musician.

I think there are a lot of musicians on this site, some quite good.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here but I included the phrase non-musician because many people on these forums do gigs with BiaB and they would only need the audience to accept the midi not other musicians. Still, whether you like/use midi or not is entirely up to you. For my purposes I find it very useful now.

Off-Topic
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

That would be an excellent Topic Mitch ,one where people could share Ideas on how to make MIDI sound better. Very Constructive Idea 1+!

And I'd be happy to join in. I have found a number of useful ways of using VSTs to enhance midi.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
MIDI is not responsible for the sound that eventually comes out of the speakers.
However, Real Tracks, VST's and other enhancements can't work without MIDI, MIDI is the means of controlling the sounds, whether from a real tracks sound font, a VST sound font or the plain and simple GM sound font. MIDI is what it say it is, Musical Instrument Digital Interface, and that is all it is.

Off-Topic
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

whether from a real tracks sound font

Sorry, this is incorrect. RealTracks are complete phrases recorded by real musicians. The phrases are copied from a master file in lengths of one or more bars (possibly less when needed). They are not fonts at the note level.

Midi is not needed to create or control RTs and they will not respond to midi edits even when they have midi notes associated with them. The midi notes are only there to show approximately what is being played.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Midi is not needed to create or control RTs

Huh?
I always thought MIDI timing (and chord interpretation) was a pretty big factor. Using them in Realband seems to make this more likely. Play with your Resolution in RB and generate a section (taking the time to use the audio edit window to see the RT generation adjustment to MIDI resolution) ... interesting test.

If you generate a new section at 120 resolution and zoom in you'll se exactly where the new generated part starts. (If you don't, try another style just for this test; it'll be obvious)
Then change resolution to something higher (like 3940). Move one end of the highlited section to a slightly different number (one not divisible by 120 preferably). Hold shift and click just off the original start point to set a new range. Regenerate, open audio edit window and look at the new section. It helps to just leave the cursor where it was (don't play it during the test) for reference.

Then open the event list for that track and note the triggers for the Realtracks. They will be in MIDI terms at the new resolution.

Last edited by rharv; 02/03/12 04:48 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

Quote:

Midi is not needed to create or control RTs

Huh?

RealTracks are audio. Where would the midi come in?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
^ Look up; I edited above response..

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

^ Look up; I edited above response..

Ok, I didn't know that. I realize there must be a way to match tempo. However, I don't think it's in any way correct to call RTs soundfonts. They don't work that way at all.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,484
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195