Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
MitchC Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
OK, right up front... this is NOT a debate about midi vs RealTracks !

Assuming you DO use midi, for at least some things, what plug-ins, synths etc do you find really help your midi tracks sound their best ? I for one, have 4 of the Garritan products that I use for horns, strings, percussion, occassional bass tracks (where I could not find a suitable RealTrack).

I think most of us are familiar with "Notes" and his uses... How 'bout you ?

Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
If you need a good Hammond organ, the best I've found is ORGANised trio. You can Google it or check it out at -

http://www.vstplanet.com/Instruments/Organ.htm

And it's freeware (donation) as well.

ROG

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
What VSTI to use that is free would also be incredible for those on fixed income or just strapped for cash! I saw this piano Acoustic Piano SFZ free compressed or $3 uncompressed, sounded pretty good for free. http://www.mildonstudios.com/freebie_lite_piano.html and here is a free SFZ player if you need one. http://www.camelaudio.com/SFZ-Player-Editor-Definition-Samples.php

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I use TTS1 & Sample Tank.
My horns are all played by me using a VL70m & recording only the audio.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
For keyboards or strings I find it's hard to beat the Ketron SD2. Just to jam along with though I'd use the VSC DXi.

For sax I use the free sfz soundfont player from Calkwalk with a good soundfont.

For clean guitars I use sfz and an appropriate soundfont from a half dozen or so free ones. I'd use amplitube for amplification. Ususlly the BBClean preset.

For overdriven lead guitar I'd use sfz and a good sound font with a combination of FX from Camel Crusher, Killapluggies or PGM. For amplification I'd use Juicy77. Links provided in the Tips and Tricks entry for creating Hendrix style guitars.

For vocals I'd use the GComp2 compressor, the Detuna from killapluggies and 10 band EQ from PGM.

BiaB 2013 b366, RB 2013 b4, WinXP Pro SP3, Toshiba M70, 1.8GHz 2GB RAM 100GB HD. Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, Ketron SD2.BiaB Wiki
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Mitch,

Have a copy of Kontakt 5 free player with some voices.
Sounds great, but don't have many voices.

Noel suggested SampleTankFree with a lot of voicing.
Also they have large collection of voicing.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/sampletankfree/features/

Am very happy with two of their guitars and on of their pianos.

Did get Kontakt working with BIAB, and may have been latency glitches
not sure, didnt work with it long enough.

The SampleTankFree installed and have a very large number of
voices freebies.

I wanted some Midi driven Quality voicing to use with Melodist and Soloist
drivers. Rendering Realtracks and Melody is instant gratification.
Melodist can generate some nice MIDI melodies, so having a nice sounding
VSTi to drive is great.

Good Luck !

Last edited by seeker; 02/03/12 01:01 PM.

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Most of my stuff is either old-school electromechanical keyboards, for which Genuine Soundware stuff is tops (Organized Trio, mentioned above, is from this company).

http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=products

Organized Trio is a freeware, that will eat a little more CPU than the VB3 product from the same company and doesn't have quite all the bells and whistles, but is still WAY better than a sampled organ sound.

Their Rhodes and Wurly emulations are excellent. Very fun to play.

For ambient, washy type stuff, I use a variety of VSTi, preferring Cygnus by Krakli http://www.krakli.co.uk/cygnus.htm and Chameleon 5000 http://www.camelaudio.com/cameleon5000.php Note: Cameleon has been replaced by Alchemy.

The cool thing about both of those synths is that the late, great Tim Conrardy wrote patches for both of them.

Analog lead synth stuff:
http://glenstegner.com/softsynths.html

Orchestral / Acoustic Instruments:

lately I've been using a cut-down version of Garritan Personal Orchestra that came bundled with Tracktion. There's more there than I'll ever make use of what with individual string parts to make my own string sections, etc. The Steinway is nice. It's a little bright for my ear for ambient music, so I've taken to low pass filtering it pretty heavy and sending to a muffly reverb to make it sound more distant. Recent fiddling around example in 6/8 and 7/8 with this piano:
http://rockstarnot.rekkerd.org/fawm2012/Scott%20Lake%20-%20God%20Almighty%20-%20FAWM2012-1.mp3 (Don't blame the terrible drum parts on any program, that's my two-finger on the keyboard attempt - late at night. Will be replaced, hopefully, by a real drummer with a properly mic'ed kit)

See, the thing is, most of my songs really aren't like others here, where autogenerated parts are the norm. I've kind of approached my music making from a different angle, where I have to be able to play everything that gets recorded. This is, admittedly, a limiting mindset. But it does cause one to peek into different corners than most on this forum. For example: I have yet to write a song that uses a horn part; mainly because I just can't hear it correctly in my head to know when and what would be appropriate.

The one exception I have is drum parts - I simply use loops and when I can get a usable output, I'll let Jamstix jam along and print it's output to audio. Jamstix here: http://www.rayzoon.com/ Note, Jamstix's jam-along function doesn't work with PG products.

I'll also use BFD for drums. The version I have came free on a Computer Music magazine cover DVD a few years ago.

Guitars - I do those myself to within my abilities. With electric guitars, this means that I often do textural things rather than lick-based things; though with practice, I can pull off some country licks. Also includes bass. Means that my bass parts will never be mistaken for Mr. Jamerson, or Ms. Kay, or Misters Wooten or Clarke - but it's fun to try to get there!

I use Guitar Rig 3 LE and Amplitube 1 LE for amp simulation, or my trusty Behringer V-Amp2, but that's not a plugin.

I tend to hide in the land of delay and reverb when it comes to guitar textures. Favorite signal chain is:
Amp sim --> Kjaerhus classic filter or Frohmage filter --> Bionic Delay on a tape delay emulation --> Ariesverb reverb.

Locations for those plugins:
http://www.acoustica.com/plugins/vst-directx.htm
http://www.ohmforce.com/HomePage.do# (note - very dodgy website, doesn't work 1/2 of the visits at least, but Frohmage is very fun to play with so it's worth the effort)
http://www.interruptor.ch/vst_overview.shtml
http://www.ariescode.com/index.php (use the freeware version - note that sometimes this thing can be a resource hog and also go into resonance - you've been warned - but the first preset, temple of the ancients, is heaven for ambient music when used as a bussed effect)

It would take years to learn the finer points of this rather small collection of instruments and effects. Have fun!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I spent a lot of time scouring the internet for good, free sounds. Part of that was because I didn't have the money to purchase a decent library, and another part was just the acquisition syndrome where you "gotta get them all." I finally decided to stop when I noticed that I was spending a huge chunk of time looking for the "perfect" sound, and never making any music with what I had.

Although I can't say that my sounds are professional, but I really like the sound of the Garritan Personal Orchestra - especially the woodwinds. I also like how lightweight the library is, compared to some other stuff.

The main source of disappointment is the solo string instruments. I've heard some people get great sounds out of it, but I've not been able to do that. In particular, I with the solo strings had a more expressive, wider vibrato. I'm hoping that Garritan puts out an inexpensive "Advanced Strings" library at some point.

As a sidebar, I see that the top items being voted on for Garritan's next library are "Advanced Strings" (28.5%) and "Choir" (28.3%). This pretty much matches what people have been asking for from RealTracks as well.

I've got Miroslav Philharmonik, which has some nice solo strings. It may just be my machine, but it seems to take forever to load up, so I usually just bail at that point and rework the orchestration for woodwinds.

Hrm... Looks like Quantum Leap has a fairly inexpensive solo violin. Too bad it uses iLok (and I don't have any money). I'd still prefer to get a Garritan library, partly because they don't have nasty authentication, and partly because I could get it through PG.

I just got JABB, so I haven't formed much opinion about that yet. My initial impression is that it's doesn't feel as playable as I was hoping - it feels more like a SoundFont filled with solid sounds, but not really the sort of expression that you expect sound library. I suspect that I really need to dig deeper into the library, but I'm working with other stuff right now.

JABB actually has a nice arco bass that I've been playing around with - something that's currently lacking in BiaB. Not wonderful, mind you - just nice. I haven't had time to compare it with the one in GPO, though.

For MIDI fingerpicked guitar, I've used the SoniVox Taylor Acoustic Guitar. It's also got sampled up/down/chuck strums, so that's nice, too. Putting in MIDI guitar parts is pretty tedious, because it's got to be done (or at least edited) in piano roll mode so that the strings sustain correctly. And the chords have to be voiced properly, or it sounds stupid. But with a bit of work, simple MIDI guitar parts really can be very good.

There are a lot of pretty good guitar SoundFonts out there.

Keep in mind that a lot of my selection is based on what's affordable, not what sounds best. There are some awesome sound libraries out there, but they're out of my price range.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The most critical to me is a great piano sound. I spent months looking into those and finnaly settled on Native Instruments "Alicias Keys". For $99, I think it is one of the very best piano VSTi's available. Give it a listen.

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Off-Topic
MitchC Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I downloaded the ORGANized Trio and tried to add the VST in BIAB, but it will not load ? What am I doing wrong ?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I rarely use midi but when I do, I like the Miroslav for strings. The Organized trio sounds good but refused to work right and play nice with my computer so I gave up and deleted it. Otherwise I still use my little Yamaha psr keyboard to render midi.

....edit for spelling - love it but never spelll it right LOL! Miroslav Philharmonik

Last edited by Sundance; 02/04/12 11:23 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Now this is a thread worth a sticky in tips and tricks.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
It's not a VST, it's a VSTi - make sure you are trying to load it in the rigt slot.

Did you unzip it first?

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
regarding Garritan Strings:

One of my ongoing frustrations in the quest for realistic MIDI is that in order to achieve all the sounds an instrument can make, it takes more than one patch. Strings especially use a lot of different expressive techniques in any given passage, and no single patch will be right for the whole passage.

I've noticed, however, that the Garritan Solo strings seem to have more built-in intelligence than some other string alternatives. For example, if the soloist plays a series of notes, some of which are held longer than others, after a certain time the soloist automatically introduces vibrato (which is what a real soloist would probably do on a sustained note)

I also like the fact that the Aria engine gives me a lot of options for tweaking the sound without having to resort to piano roll CC adjustments. And the options that are available for tweaking seem to be different depending on the instrument.

If more control is needed, it seems to respond to the continuous controllers too. Especially at the reduced price offered about a month ago, this was a good buy for my use. Like most of these toys, you can go broke pretty quickly if you buy everything that's good at full price.

I'm hoping that people who are on various mailing lists will advise the rest of us when a product that is potentially useful to this crowd goes on sale.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I used Miroslav Philharmonik for the strings melody on this track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg6gF9siJeg

I have mostly used Coyote for MIDI parts. With careful layering I have gotten some very good results, as you can hear on my other YouTube videos.

Voice Crystal has some of the best Sound fonts ever:

http://www.voicecrystal.com/sfengine.mv

use Synth Font to play them.

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Off-Topic
MitchC Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
OK, after a very severe senior moment I got ORANized Trio to load...once I applied it to a MIDI track and not a REAL TRACK ! DUH..

LOTS of great info and links here ! Will need to bookmark this for future reference.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Between using it on a MIDI track versus a RealTrack, and the difference between the slots for VSTi versus VST, I wonder if there is an opportunity to improve the mixer so that this confusion could be reduced?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have a lot of stuff I’ve accumulated over the years. All except Sonar and Pgmusic’s software I bought on sale, never full price.

VSTi’s – all of the software that comes with Sonar (TSS-1, Roland Groovesynth, Dimension lite, Pentagon etc.), NI’s Kontakt 4 with a lot of 3rd party sounds, B4II and FM8, Korg’s M1 and Wavestation (both with all of the available cards), Aria’s J&BB and GPO, AAS’s String Studio and UltraAnalog, a ton of SF2s, Rhino2 and the free version of Alchemy.

Hardware synths – Roland String Ensemble M-SE1, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV880 and the Zoom MRT-3 drum machine.

Midi controllers – M-Audio’s MK-449C keyboard, Casio MG510MIDI guitar controller and Akai’s MPD18 compact pad controller.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Korg’s M1 and Wavestation (both with all of the available cards)

How well does the virtual M1 hold up? The example sounds on Synthmania sound pretty nice, and the price is down to $50.

I need to start saving up pennies...

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

Korg’s M1 and Wavestation (both with all of the available cards)

How well does the virtual M1 hold up? The example sounds on Synthmania sound pretty nice, and the price is down to $50.

I need to start saving up pennies...

I just compared a few samples from Synthmania and my virtual M1 and they sound identical. For $50 this is a no-brainer in my mind. Lots of good usable sounds for $50 IMHO.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,566
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200