Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I use TTS for my first run though, then i add sampletank, and Jamstix to upgrade the sounds. I bought Sampletank on the group buy last year, and i find the pianos very good, and the guitars decent. I use the Martin 6, and 12, and the jazz bass a lot.

For strings it depends, usually i use TTS if it is a string track that is just fill in type, or sampletank, has a couple fair ones. I also bought Sonar X1 essentials this year, and it came with dimension pro lite, and sound center, and the three other small samplers. One is strings, and i found a few of them pretty good so far, especially the violins and such.

I love RTs, but they do not handle everything especially on cover tunes, i need to follow the signature sounds i need great sounds.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm going to retract my complaints about the GPO solo violin. I spent some time playing with it, and while the results aren't as intense as the Gypsy violin, the results are good enough for me:

GPO Solo Violin Test

The "plain" legato instrument is nice, but it really helps to insert MIDI events - especially the pitch wheel (for sliding into notes) and the mod wheel (Garritan uses it to control volume).

I'm not sure I could use it for a fiddle, because it doesn't have the same sort of "bite", but at least I have no excuse not to use it anymore.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
MitchC Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Sounds great to me David ! Nice work on the expression. Would love to have a peek at your RB midi tracks to analyze.

Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
OK, I'm new to VSTi's, and know next to nothing about them.
I pretty much use BIAB,Realtracks, Sonar and my trusty Tyros1 to make my music right now.
I've tried software synthesizers in the past but wasn't happy with the sounds or the delay.
After reading this thread I've been investigating and am completely blowin' away by the Garritan products.
My question is can they realistically be used in real time playing or just when you render?
I would love to use some of the Garritan instruments when playing my midi wind instrument real-time.

Tim

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Mitch!

Sorry, I should have noted that I did it in Reaper, not RB. I sort of did it as an exercise to learn Reaper's piano roll mode, and played around with a lot of MIDI controllers I've ignored in the past. I've given RB a number of tries, but it never seems to click for me. One of these days...

If you're still interested, here's the MIDI file exported from Reaper. I had used the Steinway Piano on channel 1, and the Violin 3 Solo KS on channel 2. Violin 1 Solo KS is also a good match.

I can't test the upload in RB, because I accidentally nuked my external USB hard drives a couple of days ago, including my BiaB drive. I've got a BiaB backup hanging around here somewhere, but for the moment doing I'm without it.

In any event, Aria can load the MIDI file, so I suspect that RB will be able to load it without any problems.

-- David Cuny

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

My question is can they realistically be used in real time playing or just when you render?

GPO is pretty lightweight. I haven't had any problems playing multiple instruments with it on my machine. I've been told JABB is heavier, and by default, the JABB instruments are monophonic. There's probably a way around that, but I haven't had time to dig into it.

The biggest irritation (for me) is Garritan's use of the Mod wheel to control volume. Most applications (including BiaB) use the Mod to increase the vibrato of an instrument). So BiaB will set the Mod wheel controller value to 0, which effectively turns off the instrument.

You can get around this by embedding a MIDI Mod wheel event in the track, but you also have to make sure you've got it turned off in BiaB's embellished playback options, too.

It would be great if BiaB had a workaround for this. The sounds are nice, and relative to other libraries, it's a great deal.

But that Mod wheel...

-- David Cuny

Off-Topic
MitchC Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks for the file David ! Nice event editing for sure ! Patch switches, mod wheel (volume). Good stuff !

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
nice example of how good a Garritan soloist can sound, David!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I learned a lot while doing this. Digging into JABB (when I get some spare time) is going to be a similar education. I've listened to the demos, and listened to the instruments, and they're worlds apart in terms of expressiveness. I'm sure a lot of the magic lies in the MIDI editing.

I always hope I can get the software to do all the dirty work, but that's rarely the case (although some of it is getting really good). RealTracks are great, because they've already got all the nuance there.

I should mention that I've had some level of luck mixing rendered MIDI and RealTracks as well. I'll render the melody with a nice MIDI instrument, and then find a few spots where I can embed some RealTrack bits. Sort of like the trick of adding sampled breath or fingers sliding over the guitar string. But it doesn't take much to go overboard with that, either.

-- David Cuny

Off-Topic
MitchC Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
When I did my first few tunes with the Garritan stuff I knew nothing about the Piano Roll, midi controllers. Having a need sure does make one dig in and find how to get the results. Now... 'piece-o-cake' !

Your file has given me more insight into using the different KS patches ie. switching to pizz strings, then back to 'normal' etc.

Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
"The biggest irritation (for me) is Garritan's use of the Mod wheel to control volume"

Yeah that would be irritating.

Thanks for your response.

Tim

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I would love to use some of the Garritan instruments when playing my midi wind instrument real-time.

Tim

Yes, real time playing is the reason ASIO was invented. ASIO allows you to reduce the latency delay to acceptable levels when you play live using a soft synth.

Also, you made a comment about Garritan using the mod wheel for volume. Soft synths are usually played using a keyboard controller, some use a wind or guitar controller. You could use your Tyros for that too. Good controllers of any type have both a pitch and mod wheel, some like Roland use a X/Y joystick so one control does both pitch and modulation. Those two controllers are placed next to each other to the left of the keyboard for a reason. It's much easier to play your part with your right hand and use the controls with your left for the articulations. Much better than trying coordinate a volume pedal with your foot and your left hand for pitch while playing the part with your right hand. People do it all kinds of ways of course but primarily it's as I described for live playing. You can record the articulations after the fact but to me anyway, you lose the feel you get when you're doing the whole thing in one shot.

In these forums people are understandably focused on how to use these things in Biab. Biab is not designed for something like Garritan except for the basic sounds, you should use a sequencer like Real Band or Sonar for recording all those nuances with a keyboard controller.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Exclusively my hardware synth (Roland Juno-D).
Are there other or 'better' patches available?
Who knows. Maybe.

But I need to spend what little time I have available making music and not messing around searching for/purchasing/installing/configuring stuff.

Marc

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I don't know if this relevant or not, because I use hardware synths:
  • Two Roland MT-32's
  • Two Roland SC-55's
  • Two Peavey Sample Players
  • One Akai sampler
  • Two Yamaha VL70m's
  • Two Yamaha TX81z's
  • One Korg DDD-5
  • One Korg DS-8
  • One Korg i3
  • One Edirol SD-90
Each synth has its strong instrument sounds and its weak instrument sounds. The challenge and part of the fun is to pick the right sound for the right instrument from the thousands of voices I have available to me.

The doubled MT-32 and SC-55 synths are due to the days when I brought sound modules to the gig, and needed a spare "just in case". I would prefer to have different synths to have different sounds, but sometimes layering two identical sounds panning one hard L and the other hard R or layering and detuning one just a few tics works wonders.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Notes, you have a PM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Reason 3. I also have a Roland JV-1010 hardware module, but I mostly use it for straight recording.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,584
Posts734,712
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197