You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#150158 - 02/10/12 01:42 AM [Off-Topic] For Eddie and anyone else with a 23 year old Ensoniq
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
My venerable Ensoniq VFX-SD may finally be giving up the ghost. I'm in a songwriting frenzy right now, and I'm getting loads of funky stuff happening with this thing - primarily related to banging and pounding on the keys. I do know that there's an issue with the main PCBs with this axe. Ensoniq used a huge edge connector between two long rather cantilevered PCBs inside the case. I actually found some pictures of this awhile back and posted somewhere here in PG forums.

I love the keyfeel on this keyboard. I really don't want to give up on it, but I can't take the time to repair it at present either.

-Scott

#150159 - 02/10/12 08:25 AM [Off-Topic] Re: For Eddie and anyone else with a 23 year old Ensoniq [Re: rockstar_not]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Describe the fault you are experiencing *exactly* as well as you can, step-by-step and let's take it from there.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#150160 - 02/10/12 09:15 AM [Off-Topic] Re: For Eddie and anyone else with a 23 year old Ensoniq [Re: Mac]
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

A. upon slightly energetic playing, any one of the following occurs:

the LED panel will either blank out, with one segment of one of the characters looking as if it's receiving all the energy intended for either the whole character or the whole panel

The LED panel will blank totally

The VFX SD will report any one of a couple of keyboard error numbers (I still have the manual and should be able to look these up)

B. This ALWAYS occurs with the failure: midi data is interrupted and 'locked' causing a need to cut the end-to-end audio function of the DAW software, shut down DAW software, shut down audio interface, repower audio interface, relaunch DAW.

I've set the VFX aside for now. I'm down to my M-Audio Oxygen 49, which has the keyfeel of a 10$ garage sale Casio.

I WILL be opening up the VFX to look for mechanically related items - no errors from it when not playing, display is fine, etc. So IMO, I've got some chips that need re-seating, connectors to reseat, etc.

-Scott

#150161 - 02/10/12 12:41 PM [Off-Topic] Re: For Eddie and anyone else with a 23 year old Ensoniq [Re: rockstar_not]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
The issue with mine (A VFX that was NOT the sd model) was the keyboard freezing, and that was resolved by hard soldering 14 wire jumpers between the 2 "half motherboards". Your fix may be something similar. My VFXsd that I bought at a pawn shop has never worked. Maybe we could Frankenstein them into one good one....

#150162 - 02/10/12 12:42 PM [Off-Topic] Re: For Eddie and anyone else with a 23 year old Ensoniq [Re: eddie1261]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
And I know of exactly ONE place to get these fixed, that place being in PA, near Philly.

#150163 - 02/10/12 02:45 PM [Off-Topic] Re: For Eddie and anyone else with a 23 year old Ensoniq [Re: eddie1261]
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

Quote:

The issue with mine (A VFX that was NOT the sd model) was the keyboard freezing, and that was resolved by hard soldering 14 wire jumpers between the 2 "half motherboards". Your fix may be something similar. My VFXsd that I bought at a pawn shop has never worked. Maybe we could Frankenstein them into one good one....

I had that repair done years ago and perhaps it's failed. It has been over 15 years since I had mine fixed the first time. If that's it, it's definitely user serviceable, though tedious.

-Scott

#150164 - 02/10/12 04:09 PM [Off-Topic] Re: For Eddie and anyone else with a 23 year old Ensoniq [Re: rockstar_not]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Scott,

From the reported symptoms I suspect power supply problems, either dried out electrolytic capacitors or possibly a three-terminal regulator is going out or from years of heat has simply desoldered its ground pin.

Inspect the underside of the board under all or any three-terminal regs and resolder if it looks flaky, check the voltages of each and if the DC voltage isn't spot on the voltage for that partigular reg, replace it.

A quick way to determine if electrolytics have dried out is to heat that area of the board and the caps with a hair dryer (NOT a heat gun, hair dryer on high is enough) and then fire the thing up and see if you have better operation. If you do, shotgun those eleclectrolytics with appropriate value and voltage for each one.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#150165 - 02/10/12 07:11 PM [Off-Topic] Re: For Eddie and anyone else with a 23 year old Ensoniq [Re: Mac]
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

Thanks - this won't happen for at least a month, but I will bookmark this thread for future reference.

#150166 - 02/11/12 02:41 AM [Off-Topic] Re: For Eddie and anyone else with a 23 year old Ensoniq [Re: rockstar_not]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
This sounds like a similar problem I had with my old Kurzweil K1000. I bought it new in 1987. I started losing sound from random keys and the display was going wonky. I bought a new keyboard and gave that one to a friend who used it as a sound module and controled it from another old keyboard. Finally one day he opened it up and played with a big ribbon cable inside and some of the keys came back. He finally cludged a regular old PC IDE cable and fitted it and it worked.

I just discovered something similar with my 2001 Mercedes CLK430 that I just bought. It has a partial digital readout in the instrument cluster. The pixels are known to go out with that dash as the cars get older. Merecedes wants $900 for a new cluster. Over on the MBZ forum there's a guy who posted nice pics of how to fix it and it involves a similar small ribbon cable with two clips on each end that power the display but those clips are not quite strong enough to make a good solid connection. He took a very small screw and drilled a equally small hole in the board right next to the connector where there's no soldered parts. The screw head gives just enough pressure against the middle of the connector along with the two clips at the ends to insure a good connection and problem solved, the pixels light right up. I mention this because the dealer I bought the car from had to fix my dash as part of the deal and they use a guy who charges $350 and this fix takes maybe an hour and costs what, 5c for the screw? Circuit boards are remarkably simple to fix in some cases. Btw, the instrument binnicle pops right out with two wire hooks that anybody can make.

Mac, you're an opportunist you should check this out. If I wasn't so busy doing taxes I might start a little side business. You have any idea how many Mercedes there are around here?

Bob

#150167 - 02/11/12 09:17 AM [Off-Topic] Re: For Eddie and anyone else with a 23 year old Ensoniq [Re: jazzmammal]
Mac Offline
Veteran

I have indeed had a few keyboards pass over my testbench where a ribbon cable failure of some kind was the culprit. Most times a cleaning of contacts or a simple blanket replacement of said cable is the cure. In the case of the mentioned Ensoniq, desoldering the cable pins and hard soldering the ribbon cable from board to board is the preferred method that lasts. In the case of this particular Ensoniq, it was stated that the ribbon cable had already been hard-soldered at a previous time. If that is still holding up, and no other ribbon cables have failed, the power supply would be the next logical area of investigation for this kind of fault. The good news is that the problem is most likely to be caused by one or the other, going by the number of them I've worked on, which isn't a statistically significant amount, really. The older keyboards are actually built like tanks in comparison to some of the newer ones in this regard, the technology of that era tends to lend itself more favorably to less expensive repairs like the ones mentioned as versus the need for proprietary parts replacement, that't the good news.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

PG Music News
YouTube Find - Triste - Hammond Organ + Band-in-a-Box®

Our latest search of "Band-in-a-Box" on YouTube has delivered some great videos, including this one by YouTube user Keith Horton!

YouTube Video - Triste - Hammond Organ + Band In A Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Features a Cleaned-up BB Folder

If you've used previous versions of Band-in-a-Box®, you may have noticed a lot of different files and folders within the "BB" folder for the program - after years and years of development there are up to 10,000 files for an UltraPAK! With Version 2018, we've cleaned it up - but you're not losing anything - the cleanup normally happens automatically during installation, but you can run it manually if you'd like - just select the main menu Help | Utilities | Run Cleanup routine...

Review all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm

Introducing... RealTracks Artist Kirk "Jelly Roll" Johnson

One of our just-released RealTracks Sets features the award winning harmonica player Kirk "Jelly Roll" Johnson!
RealTracks Set 283: Jelly-Roll Country Harmonica

Add his harmonica playing to your Band-in-a-Box song for that soulful feel that cannot be matched!

Learn more about "Jelly Roll" Johnson and listen to demos of his RealTracks when you visit his RealTracks Artist Bio page.

Beginners Forum - Exporting from Band-in-a-Box® to a .MID File

Our Forum is amazing - an online community full of helpful program users, BETA testers, endorsers, and staff!

We include a Beginners Forum, which is a great place for Band-in-a-Box beginners to visit for discussions & resources!

This week included a very active post, Exporting from Band-in-a-Box to a .MID file. Visit this post to learn more about exporting RealTracks as .MID files, and see our friendly forum users at work!

Introducing... RealTracks Artist Colin Linden!

Have you heard the newest Guitar RealTracks from Colin Linden? You can find his RealTracks with:
RealTracks Set 279: Americana: Slow Groovin' 12-8 & 16ths
RealTracks Set 280: Americana: Gritty Blues & Rockabilly Swing
RealTracks Set 287: Pop Songwriter: Acoustic Guitar
RealTracks Set 299: Rootsy Blues Guitar & Piano

Learn more about Colin and listen to demos of his RealTracks when you visit his RealTracks Artist Bio.

The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 49-PAK with 40 Unreleased RealTracks!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 49-PAK is still available, and includes 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band, Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band, 32 MIDI SuperTracks, 108 Instrumental Studies, Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé, 40 AmpliTube Presets & 37 Associated Styles, and 52 Loops!

Add this to your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase for just $49! Purchasing an UltraPAK or Audiophile Edition? As of January 16th, the 49-PAK is included in your purchase (uncompressed RealTracks files for the Audiophile too)!

Learn more about the 49-PAK and listen to demos at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.49pak.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 For Windows Build 509 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows customers can download this free patch update at http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#509

Summary of changes:
Added: The drop station has MP3 and WMAL (lossless WMA) quadrants added.
Fixed: "Drag Audio as MP3" setting in the Plugin settings did not work when dragging a file to Windows Explorer.
Fixed: "Pause Play until MIDI or key received" setting did not work if using WAS audio drivers.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box Server was unable to communicate with BB2018.
Fixed: Choosing a drum kit file in the MIDI/Audio Driver Setup dialog would fail with error "Unable to install patch/drum map for...".
Fixed: Disabling "Include 2 bar lead-in" setting in the Render Song to Audio File dialog would cause videos to be out of sync.
Fixed: It was not possible to type the # sharp character into the chord sheet if using a French keyboard.
Fixed: Some Amplitube TGS files and styles were missing in certain installations.
Fixed: Song would stop playing at bar 8 after rendering to an audio file.
Fixed: The Practice Window songs would not load with error "This directory does not exist...".
Fixed: The Tip of the Day dialog was not displaying any tips.
Fixed: The Tuner, MIDI Monitor, and Drum Kit window were always displaying in English instead of the user's language.

Forum Stats
26975 Members
49 Forums
49738 Topics
407272 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
prasopal666, rstuvw705365, Marz, Frank Gualtieri, David Carden

26979 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 401
Matt Finley 276