Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#150175 - 02/10/12 11:30 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] transpose only selected chords?
blue-moves Offline

transpose only selected chords?

is it possible? i haven't found a way...

sometimes in the middle of a tune i want to transpose just a section of the chord sequence - would be good if there was a way you could select those chords and transpose them en masse - at the mo i have to go through and re-type them all.. (and i'm too lazy for that malarky!)

thoughts?

#150176 - 02/10/12 12:18 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: blue-moves]
Cerio Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Spain
Select the chords, then Edit -> Transpose -> Transpose From...To... -> You're done.

#150177 - 02/10/12 12:31 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: Cerio]
blue-moves Offline

forgot to say - i'm on a mac.. 'edit > transpose' works only globally.. *grumble*

#428962 - 09/06/17 11:15 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: blue-moves]
Forecast Offline

I realize that I am responding to a pretty old post, but years later this user still hasn't been able to find an easy way to transpose selected chords in BIAB UltraPAK for Mac 2017 (which I love, overall) without transposing the whole song.

Here's a workaround I use, assuming transposing selected chords still isn't a function native to 2017 BIAB.

With the project I'm working on open and saved (C major), I selected and copied the chord progression I wanted to transpose; next, I opened a new project (it turned out it was in the same style as my original project and in C major -- not sure whether that matters or not); and then, I pasted the selected progression in Bar 1.

After that, I clicked on the "key" button and changed the key from C major to D major, and the chords I pasted were automatically transposed up two semi tones, which is what I wanted.

Finally, I copied and pasted the transposed chords back into to my original project. The whole operation took less than a minute, which was much faster and more accurate than retyping 12 chord symbols in this case.

It would be a great upgrade to be able to select a chord progression and then go to "Selected Chord(s) Transposition" in a menu and type in the number of semitones for the transposition, up or down.

If something like this already exists, I obviously haven't found it and would like to know if it does in fact exist and where to access it.

If there's an easier workaround, please share it.

#428997 - 09/06/17 03:53 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: Forecast]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I'm not aware of a feature to do this for specific chords, but if not there, the idea has merit.

BTW, welcome to the forums.

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#429008 - 09/06/17 05:02 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: blue-moves]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Welcome, Forecast. Just to clarify, this function has already exited for years in the PC version. Cerio, above, gave the steps, and it works beautifully.

Are you saying the Mac version does not have this command? If so, then

+1 to make the Mac version match the PC version
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#429027 - 09/07/17 03:27 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: Matt Finley]
Forecast Offline

Thanks for your reply, Matt. Where would I find the transposition steps Cerio provided?

#429028 - 09/07/17 04:05 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: blue-moves]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Forecast,

With the Windows version of the program, the tool is found under "Edit | Transpose".

Regards,
Noel

#429030 - 09/07/17 04:46 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: Forecast]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Forecast, Cerio's method is even easier if you highlight the measures you want to transpose. This way the transfer from and how many bars windows are already filled in for you.

Good luck.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#429033 - 09/07/17 06:33 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: blue-moves]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

It’s the Edit menu, Transpose, Transpose From .. To. Choose key.

Highlight the bars first and they are already selected, as just mentioned.

Unless the Mac version doesn’t have this?
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#429049 - 09/07/17 09:55 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: Forecast]
raymb1 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sterling, Va
Doesn't cut and paste work in Mac? This works for me when I want to copy selected chords.

#429073 - 09/07/17 12:37 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: blue-moves]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Ray, I think it does but how does that help him transpose just a section?

#429084 - 09/07/17 02:48 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: raymb1]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: raymb1
Doesn't cut and paste work in Mac? This works for me when I want to copy selected chords.

I tried running 2 instances of MacBB transposed one and copied a section but it would not paste into the other instance like you can with the audio edit window.

You can add it to the chart Band-in-a-Box Feature Comparison Chart - Windows Versus Mac

But let's see in we get a Cross-platform 64bit Biab at the end of the year.

#429090 - 09/07/17 03:36 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: Matt Finley]
raymb1 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sterling, Va
My bad! Read OP's post too quickly.

#429091 - 09/07/17 03:46 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: blue-moves]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Pipeline, I assume you first verified that Transpose From To is not available on the Mac version.

Blue moves, looks like it won’t work on the Mac version of BIAB.

You could consider getting the PC version and a utility to run that on the Mac. It may sound strange but Dr. Peter Gannon (the PG of PG Music) develops the program that way.

In the meantime as Pipeline said, this needs to go in the Mac version Wishlist.

#429093 - 09/07/17 05:28 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: Matt Finley]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

I will have to sit down one day and go through them both side by side.
But, I think will wait n see what happens at the end of the year.

Attachments
MacBB_Transpose.png

WinBB_Transpose.jpg

#429108 - 09/07/17 07:21 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: blue-moves]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Thanks!

+1 for the original request (Mac version only). It's a very useful function.

#429113 - 09/07/17 08:23 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: Matt Finley]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Here's a Mac/Win Menu Comparison, Win users can use it to support Mac users, just pause the videos to read, if you download the video it will play clear:

Watch Mac https://www.dropbox.com/s/iey9mhehz9cdxrq/MacBB_Menu.mp4?dl=0
Download Mac https://www.dropbox.com/s/iey9mhehz9cdxrq/MacBB_Menu.mp4?dl=1

Watch Win https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vh5pejrfyaaoa6/WinBB_Menu.mp4?dl=0
Download Win https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vh5pejrfyaaoa6/WinBB_Menu.mp4?dl=1

Click No Thanks Continue if you get a login

#429134 - 09/08/17 04:23 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: Matt Finley]
Forecast Offline

The three transposition options in the Edit menu (on a Mac) are, as follows: Transpose Down 1 semitone, Transpose UP 1 semitone, and Transpose # of semitones.

Even when four bars of chords have been selected, for example, all of the transposition options above still transpose the entire song/project (instead of just the chords I chose), which is why I went with my workaround.

So, it looks like the Mac version of BIAB doesn't have the command, which you have described.

#429142 - 09/08/17 06:08 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: Matt Finley]
Forecast Offline

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Thanks!

+1 for the original request (Mac version only). It's a very useful function.

Sounds great, but how do I "engage" +1? I have no experience with this; so, if you wouldn't mind explaining it a bit more, I'd appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
#TBT Band-in-a-Box® 2017 Review - Software for Learning Saxophone

McGill Music Sax School posted a video review of Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Windows last year, stating "I love using software to help learn saxophone. One of my favourite programs is Band-in-a-Box. It's a really powerful tool for quickly making backing tracks I can use for lessons, or my own practice."

Check it out! www.pgmusic.com/?vid=2AgfV7emdLQ

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Importing MIDI Files

Did you know that Standard MIDI files can be read in to the Melodist or Soloist track within Band-in-a-Box? You can use all of the MIDI File, or select channels or a specific range of bars, using these steps:
1. Melody | Import Melody from MIDI File to select a MIDI file from disk using the file dialog.
2. Melody | Import Melody from Clipboard - when the MIDI data is already copied from another program to the
clipboard.

A new window will open, asking for additional criteria - which channels, # of bars to offset..., # of bars to import, include lyrics, include patch changes - and more! Head to our online manual Chapter 10: Working with MIDI to learn more!

YouTube Find - Your First 15 Minutes with Band-in-a-Box

Woody Piano Shack recently got their hands on Band-in-a-Box after a long time without the program - and they're thrilled!!

Check out this video they've shared to their YouTube Channel: https://youtu.be/9dxSfwjBvG0

Thanks Woody Piano Shack!

National Dictionary Day - Guitar & Piano Chord Dictionaries

Today is National Dictionary Day!

We offer 2 dictionaries for just $19 each: the Guitar Chord Dictionary & the Piano Chord Dictionary!

Each of these programs are easy to use! Simply choose a root note, select the chord you want to learn, and the Dictionary will play and display the chord!

An Essential Tool for any Musician!

User Tip - Band-in-a-Box® to Reaper: The Basics

Forum user DeaconBlues09 has created a video to demonstrate how easy the process is for them to streamline their workflow with DAWs, particularly Reaper - check it out: click here to watch.

Join the forum discussion.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

National Train Your Brain Day is October 13th!

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games, access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu, and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Band-in-a-Box Patch Updates - #TechTuesday

Visit our Patches & Updates page, and you will see that with every version released, there are 2+ patch updates applied to that version.

Patch updates are important, and should definitely be installed to your BB folder. They can add new features, update the help resources of the program, fix bugs reported by users, and make your entire Band-in-a-Box experience run smoothly!

Band-in-a-Box update options can be adjusted within the program too - within Band-in-a-Box for Mac, head to Band-in-a-Box | Check for Updates | and then you can select to automatically check for updates by however many days you choose!

Forum Stats
28080 Members
57 Forums
54446 Topics
450208 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
collcoll, Vocaloidgirl9980, wumaimsd, boxx.dk, Boto

28080 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 178
David Snyder 143