Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#150175 - 02/10/12 11:30 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] transpose only selected chords?
blue-moves Offline

transpose only selected chords?

is it possible? i haven't found a way...

sometimes in the middle of a tune i want to transpose just a section of the chord sequence - would be good if there was a way you could select those chords and transpose them en masse - at the mo i have to go through and re-type them all.. (and i'm too lazy for that malarky!)

thoughts?

#150176 - 02/10/12 12:18 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: blue-moves]
Cerio Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Spain
Select the chords, then Edit -> Transpose -> Transpose From...To... -> You're done.

#150177 - 02/10/12 12:31 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: Cerio]
blue-moves Offline

forgot to say - i'm on a mac.. 'edit > transpose' works only globally.. *grumble*

#428962 - 09/06/17 11:15 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: blue-moves]
Forecast Offline

I realize that I am responding to a pretty old post, but years later this user still hasn't been able to find an easy way to transpose selected chords in BIAB UltraPAK for Mac 2017 (which I love, overall) without transposing the whole song.

Here's a workaround I use, assuming transposing selected chords still isn't a function native to 2017 BIAB.

With the project I'm working on open and saved (C major), I selected and copied the chord progression I wanted to transpose; next, I opened a new project (it turned out it was in the same style as my original project and in C major -- not sure whether that matters or not); and then, I pasted the selected progression in Bar 1.

After that, I clicked on the "key" button and changed the key from C major to D major, and the chords I pasted were automatically transposed up two semi tones, which is what I wanted.

Finally, I copied and pasted the transposed chords back into to my original project. The whole operation took less than a minute, which was much faster and more accurate than retyping 12 chord symbols in this case.

It would be a great upgrade to be able to select a chord progression and then go to "Selected Chord(s) Transposition" in a menu and type in the number of semitones for the transposition, up or down.

If something like this already exists, I obviously haven't found it and would like to know if it does in fact exist and where to access it.

If there's an easier workaround, please share it.

#428997 - 09/06/17 03:53 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: Forecast]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I'm not aware of a feature to do this for specific chords, but if not there, the idea has merit.

BTW, welcome to the forums.

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#429008 - 09/06/17 05:02 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: blue-moves]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Welcome, Forecast. Just to clarify, this function has already exited for years in the PC version. Cerio, above, gave the steps, and it works beautifully.

Are you saying the Mac version does not have this command? If so, then

+1 to make the Mac version match the PC version
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#429027 - 09/07/17 03:27 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: Matt Finley]
Forecast Offline

Thanks for your reply, Matt. Where would I find the transposition steps Cerio provided?

#429028 - 09/07/17 04:05 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: blue-moves]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Forecast,

With the Windows version of the program, the tool is found under "Edit | Transpose".

Regards,
Noel

#429030 - 09/07/17 04:46 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: Forecast]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Forecast, Cerio's method is even easier if you highlight the measures you want to transpose. This way the transfer from and how many bars windows are already filled in for you.

Good luck.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#429033 - 09/07/17 06:33 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: blue-moves]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

It’s the Edit menu, Transpose, Transpose From .. To. Choose key.

Highlight the bars first and they are already selected, as just mentioned.

Unless the Mac version doesn’t have this?
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#429049 - 09/07/17 09:55 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: Forecast]
raymb1 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sterling, Va
Doesn't cut and paste work in Mac? This works for me when I want to copy selected chords.

#429073 - 09/07/17 12:37 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: blue-moves]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Ray, I think it does but how does that help him transpose just a section?

#429084 - 09/07/17 02:48 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: raymb1]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: raymb1
Doesn't cut and paste work in Mac? This works for me when I want to copy selected chords.

I tried running 2 instances of MacBB transposed one and copied a section but it would not paste into the other instance like you can with the audio edit window.

You can add it to the chart Band-in-a-Box Feature Comparison Chart - Windows Versus Mac

But let's see in we get a Cross-platform 64bit Biab at the end of the year.

#429090 - 09/07/17 03:36 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: Matt Finley]
raymb1 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sterling, Va
My bad! Read OP's post too quickly.

#429091 - 09/07/17 03:46 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: blue-moves]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Pipeline, I assume you first verified that Transpose From To is not available on the Mac version.

Blue moves, looks like it won’t work on the Mac version of BIAB.

You could consider getting the PC version and a utility to run that on the Mac. It may sound strange but Dr. Peter Gannon (the PG of PG Music) develops the program that way.

In the meantime as Pipeline said, this needs to go in the Mac version Wishlist.

#429093 - 09/07/17 05:28 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: Matt Finley]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

I will have to sit down one day and go through them both side by side.
But, I think will wait n see what happens at the end of the year.

Attachments
MacBB_Transpose.png

WinBB_Transpose.jpg

#429108 - 09/07/17 07:21 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: blue-moves]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Thanks!

+1 for the original request (Mac version only). It's a very useful function.

#429113 - 09/07/17 08:23 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: Matt Finley]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Here's a Mac/Win Menu Comparison, Win users can use it to support Mac users, just pause the videos to read, if you download the video it will play clear:

Watch Mac https://www.dropbox.com/s/iey9mhehz9cdxrq/MacBB_Menu.mp4?dl=0
Download Mac https://www.dropbox.com/s/iey9mhehz9cdxrq/MacBB_Menu.mp4?dl=1

Watch Win https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vh5pejrfyaaoa6/WinBB_Menu.mp4?dl=0
Download Win https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vh5pejrfyaaoa6/WinBB_Menu.mp4?dl=1

Click No Thanks Continue if you get a login

#429134 - 09/08/17 04:23 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: Matt Finley]
Forecast Offline

The three transposition options in the Edit menu (on a Mac) are, as follows: Transpose Down 1 semitone, Transpose UP 1 semitone, and Transpose # of semitones.

Even when four bars of chords have been selected, for example, all of the transposition options above still transpose the entire song/project (instead of just the chords I chose), which is why I went with my workaround.

So, it looks like the Mac version of BIAB doesn't have the command, which you have described.

#429142 - 09/08/17 06:08 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: Matt Finley]
Forecast Offline

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Thanks!

+1 for the original request (Mac version only). It's a very useful function.

Sounds great, but how do I "engage" +1? I have no experience with this; so, if you wouldn't mind explaining it a bit more, I'd appreciate it.

#429146 - 09/08/17 06:29 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: Pipeline]
Forecast Offline

The Mac Edit menu doesn't have the option: Transpose From...To. Therein lies the problem for Mac users, so it appears.

#429184 - 09/08/17 02:40 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: blue-moves]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

You already did your part, Forecast. You discovered something you need, and we verified it is (surprisingly) not in the Mac version. We put “+1” on posts like this to indicate to the developers who see these suggestions that we support the request. I’m sorry but we all have to wait for the next version to see if it’s implemented by PG Music.

#429195 - 09/08/17 04:28 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: blue-moves]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Although I am a Windows BiaB user I will add my +1 for all the Mac versions of BiaB.

Maybe if BiaB was a VSTi then both OSes would have the same version.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#429304 - 09/10/17 02:35 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: Matt Finley]
Forecast Offline

[quote=Matt Finley] You discovered something you need, and we verified it is (surprisingly) not in the Mac version. We put “+1” on posts like this to indicate to the developers who see these suggestions that we support the request.

Thanks for this info, Matt.

#429360 - 09/10/17 02:54 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: Forecast]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

If it's not there now, it needs to be.
+1

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#429364 - 09/10/17 03:43 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: blue-moves]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

I posted about this in the developers area, but only for PC since I can’t post in the Mac area. One of us will follow through to be sure it is seen by PG Music.

#429380 - 09/10/17 06:56 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: Matt Finley]
Forecast Offline

A BIAB technical support technician recently concurred via email that the "Transposition From..To.." command that's already in the PC version also needs to be in the Mac version, and he has made a formal request to developers to bring this about, hopefully in 2018.

#429385 - 09/10/17 09:10 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: blue-moves]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Excellent.

#446041 - 12/19/17 09:21 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: Forecast]
nonchai Online   content
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Forecast
A BIAB technical support technician recently concurred via email that the "Transposition From..To.." command that's already in the PC version also needs to be in the Mac version, and he has made a formal request to developers to bring this about, hopefully in 2018.

I think this just reiterates how much it is - high time that PG Music spend some developer resources to finally bite the bullet and consolidate their code-base to be truly cross-platform - due to the many lacking features in the OSX version compared to Windows.

We OSX users are second-rate citizens. And yet the Mac is clearly the preferred operating system and computers used by most pro musicians and producers who use computers as their way of music creation or performance.

There is still some ugly PASCAL based bits of code and GUI going right back to the days of the ATARI ST. PG Music are just too unwilling to commit developer resources to remove it. Which would involve a rewrite of some code in a modern language.

And also the most pain-free, low latency and most supported platform audio-wise. Hence why even now in 2017 it is still a free - independently developed audio driver ASIO - and other bits of middleware that one is forced to use if one wants low latency with ones DAW on Windows - even Windoze 10.

I cannot think of another music software company that has a constant release-version disparity and long lag between the windows and OSX version.

The version numbers get a different release date - and yet EVEN when version numbers match for a few months - say 2017 - it is the case that feature sets don't match.

Shoddy.

Yet PG has been getting away with this for decades.

Edited by nonchai (12/19/17 09:27 AM)

#447066 - 12/24/17 12:25 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: nonchai]
Islansoul Offline
Journeyman

Loc: St. Petersburg , FL
Originally Posted By: nonchai
Originally Posted By: Forecast

I think this just reiterates how much it is - high time that PG Music spend some developer resources to finally bite the bullet and consolidate their code-base to be truly cross-platform - due to the many lacking features in the OSX version compared to Windows.

We OSX users are second-rate citizens. And yet the Mac is clearly the preferred operating system and computers used by most pro musicians and producers who use computers as their way of music creation or performance.

There is still some ugly PASCAL based bits of code and GUI going right back to the days of the ATARI ST. PG Music are just too unwilling to commit developer resources to remove it. Which would involve a rewrite of some code in a modern language.

And also the most pain-free, low latency and most supported platform audio-wise. Hence why even now in 2017 it is still a free - independently developed audio driver ASIO - and other bits of middleware that one is forced to use if one wants low latency with ones DAW on Windows - even Windoze 10.

I cannot think of another music software company that has a constant release-version disparity and long lag between the windows and OSX version.

The version numbers get a different release date - and yet EVEN when version numbers match for a few months - say 2017 - it is the case that feature sets don't match.

Shoddy.

Yet PG has been getting away with this for decades.

Amen!
music producer/engineer

#447746 - 12/28/17 07:04 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? [Re: blue-moves]
Kent - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Hi Guys,

There's a fairly easy work-around until this feature gets implemented, in case anyone's interested.

Highlight the measures you want to transpose using your mouse, then hit Edit - Transpose - Transpose # of Semitones, type in a number, and click Ok. This will transpose the whole song.

Next, hit Command+C to copy the transposed chords, Command+Z to undo the transposition of the song, then Command+V to paste the transposed chords back in. You can hold down the Command key the whole time, and just hit C,Z,V.

Once you get the hang of it, this should only take a few seconds.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

#452627 - 01/21/18 09:34 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? + And Rhythm????? [Re: Kent - PG Music]
Le vrai Chris Offline

Thanks Kent, very useful tip.
Those who know the jazz standard "Comrad Conrad" (Bill Evans), would also ask: how to make a change in selected chords no only in terms of transposition but also in rhythmic? Comrad Conrad changes each chorus by transposing in the fifth cycle but also by alternate each chorus 4/4 <-> 3/4, etc.
So my question is now: is it possible to make also this kind of change in BiaB, and if yes, how?
Thanks,
Christophe

Edited by Le vrai Chris (01/21/18 09:40 AM)

#452697 - 01/21/18 02:18 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: transpose only selected chords? + And Rhythm????? [Re: Le vrai Chris]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Le vrai Chris
Thanks Kent, very useful tip.
Those who know the jazz standard "Comrad Conrad" (Bill Evans), would also ask: how to make a change in selected chords no only in terms of transposition but also in rhythmic? Comrad Conrad changes each chorus by transposing in the fifth cycle but also by alternate each chorus 4/4 <-> 3/4, etc.
So my question is now: is it possible to make also this kind of change in BiaB, and if yes, how?
Thanks,
Christophe

Chistophe,
Good question.
It may be one worth posting separately in the Band-In-A-Box forum rather than in the Wishlist. It might get better identification there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Video - Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows!

Learn how you can add MIDI SuperTracks to your Band-in-a-Box® song?

Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows!

Video - Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Mac!

Learn how you can add MIDI SuperTracks to your Band-in-a-Box® song?

Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Mac!

Musician Brent Mason in the Studio Recording RealTracks!

Before leaving Nashville, Tobin caught up with Brent Mason recording some future RealTracks in the studio.

We can't wait to hear them!

Video - Adding RealTracks to Your Band-in-a-Box® Song

There are 300 RealTracks Sets available (over 2,500 RealTracks!), and here at PG Music we have this to say about them: You'll want to use RealTracks in all of your projects... and you can!

But what if you're not sure how to add them to your Band-in-a-Box® song? We have a video for that! Click here to watch...

Save Notation Window as a Video with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Did you know... Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac allows you to save the Notation Window as a video? What a great way to share your songs with users, and LEARN from the notation as you listen!

From the program manual:
[Save As] | Save as video
-In the Make Notation Video dialog, select a track at the upper left corner. (Note: The dialog title says “Make Chord Sheet Video” until you select a track.)
-You can also set the dimension (width/height) of the video and select the number of frames per second and a specific codec.
-Press the [OK - Render Video] button to start rendering the video. When the video has been created, press the [Show Video File] button.
-You can then double click on the file to watch the rendered video.

Note: A special use of this feature is to combine a Video RealTracks (new with version 2018) with the corresponding notation in a single video. This creates an educational video, which shows the actual performance with notation/tab, playing over your chord progression! To do this, right-click on the Master button or one of the track buttons at the top of the main screen and select Render Video(s) from the menu.

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac Resource - Individual New Features Videos

The release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac added 50+ new features and enhancements, Video RealTracks, 202 new RealTracks, and more!

Here is a summary of the videos created to highlight the new additions and features:
(click on the title to play the video)
-Everything you need to know in under 5 minutes!
-Complete New Features Video
-2018 Audio Chord Wizard
-Piano Roll Window
-Vocal Ooh & Aahs
-Audio Harmonies
-Video RealTracks
-202 NEW RealTracks
-40 Bonus RealTracks in the 2018 49-PAK

Summer NAMM 2018 Shout Out!

We were just down in Nashville for the 2018 Summer NAMM show. We were especially excited to attend this trade show as we've had a number or musicians record RealTracks for us in Nashville, and we hoped to meet them in person!

Click here to see everyone who stopped by!

From left to right:

RealTracks Producer Mike Harrison, PG Music's own Tobin Frank, and RealTracks Artist Wanda Vick
RealTracks Artist Eddy Dunlap & Tobin
Tobin with RealTracks Artist Brent Mason
RealTracks Artists Dave Cleveland and Darin Favorite with Mike and Tobin
Tobin with Brent Mason, Mike Harris, and Darin Favorite
Mike & RealTracks Artist Jelly Roll Johnson
Tobin & RealTracks Artist Jason Roller
Tobin with RealTracks Artist Tony King
Band-in-a-Box Endorser Bobby Cochran with Tobin & Mike

Special thanks to Mike and all the RealTracks Artists and PG Endorsers who stopped by. It was so great to meet everyone!!

Forum Stats
27716 Members
50 Forums
52596 Topics
435931 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
jigelaz, gerry logan, jack homburg, perljazz, dreamoutlaw

27715 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
David Snyder 154
Al-David 150