Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
<<Keeping your main PC until it 'dies', and making it a lower priority than musical 'toys' seems like a bad idea to me Bob. Don't you make your living from PC based music?>>

True, but perhaps I haven't made myself clear enough. I sometimes don't type exactly what I should in the way that is easy for everyone to understand - I'm too close to the subject

My main computer is much newer, multi-core Intel, and lots of RAM. It has made for Win7 on it, but Win7 was brand new then and ThinkPads gave me an option to boot either in Win7 or XP, so I chose XP because after the Vista problems, I wasn't about to try Win7 since it had no reputation yet. The trade magazines were saying it was much better than Vista, but when things are pretty new, the trades are often overly enthusiastic. Sometimes the cutting edge is the bleeding edge. I'd like to wait at least until the first service pack has been released before I go with a new OS.

So while I will keep this computer until it goes belly-up, it won't be my main computer for that long. By the time it's time to 'meet its maker' it will be demoted to a function that my iPod can do, simply play mp3 files. And all those mp3 files will be backed up in multiple places, including 'the cloud' to be sure that if something happens, I can still make my living playing music.

My computers go from main, then get demoted to secondary status, the things that are more play than work and apps that I don't want on my main work computer. After that they get demoted again to a mp3 player for my backing tracks on stage, and for the last years of their life, they get demoted as a backup computer on stage. With the average life of a ThinkPad to be 8 years, that gives me about 2 years of life as a main computer.

As far as being a mp3 player on stage, my 2002 ThinkPad will still do that just fine, but it started to develop horizontal lines on the screen when moving the lid, so I retired that one years ago. High quality and high bit-rate MP3 files played through a good MP3-Audio interface and then into a nice PA system doesn't take much processing power. I suppose my old Win98 computer would do that well if I still had it (stripped everything but the OS and gave it to a nephew).

I have a feeling it's time to buy another one and make the chain of demotions. But since the 'secondary' computer is giving me that kind of trouble, I might not demote it and take a chance since the stage computer and the stage computer backup are not giving me any problems at all. Perhaps I'll play with Linux on it, that could be fun.

So I'm looking on the Lenovo site and doing some research to make sure I will be getting what I need. Win7 has been out long enough and has proven itself. I may as well get it before the brand new Win8 comes out. I hate brand new OS's because they are often buggy until they get the second or third service pack.

And actually, my main source of income is as a gigging musician http://www.s-cats.com. The BiaB aftermarket line is my 'moonlighting' job ("daylighting"??). And I love it. It brings in enough so that during the slow summer season I don't have to travel to keep making the mortgage payments. And I must say I've become a bit dependent on the "extra" income it brings in. If I wasn't moonlighting on BiaB I'd be doing something else musical to keep me here in the summer (I love Florida summers). If BiaB was my primary source of income, I'd probably have 100 style disks and 100 fake disks out by now.

Besides, the age of the computer should not affect the sound of the Real Tracks anyway. Audio is audio, I use a USB-Audio interface and play them back through a small pro PA set, and I admit they sound great. The small PA system is my back-up system in case the one for gigging fails. Samson Mixer, BBE Sonic Maximizer, QSC Power Amp, 3 way speakers.

The only problem I have with Real Tracks, Fruity Loops and other pre-recorded audio software is that it doesn't give me the ability to edit the instruments as much as I like to. Say if I wanted to change a couple of notes in the middle of a guitar part to insert a song-specific lick, it would be difficult if I had a similar guitar, similar amp, similar FX, similar recording studio, similar playing style and darn near impossible without all those things.

Perhaps I'm a minority, but I like to play with my musical software tools. And I like to play with them a lot. Audio loops allow some playing, but mostly cut and paste. I can't customize them to express my own artistic ideas (for better or for worse).

So RTs are a feature I don't use. There are other BiaB features I don't use, and that's OK, others enjoy them. I don't use the melodist, soloist, lyrics, Juke Box, and a few others. I mainly use it because it is the best audio-accompaniment program currently out here (and has been for decades), I use the harmony feature a lot, the piano roll from time to time and although I don't use it as a notation editor (I have Encore) I do refer to the notation windows a lot.

To me the features I don't use are like stations on the radio dial I don't care to listen to. They are for other ears. The features in BiaB that are not for me, are enjoyed by other people, and that's fine with me. I like BiaB for the features that I use, and I use them quite a bit.

And I show BiaB to a lot of people and send them to pgmusic.com. I do one-nighters mostly for yacht clubs, country clubs, and the retirement communities here in Florida (best pay, shortest hours) and often the person who is now retired and wants to start playing music again comes up and wants to know about computer music. I keep a copy of BiaB on my stage computers, and after the show will give them a tour and send them to you. I never tell them about real vs. midi track or anything else, I leave it up to them to decide what they are going to use.

As long as you don't abandon the MIDI part, I'm a happy camper.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
>>> I can't customize them to express my own artistic ideas (for better or for worse).

Other people ** can ** customize them Bob. And I show you how in this video.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=316518&an=0&page=2#Post316518

It's as simple as this
- if you want to replace a RealTracks part with a customized part, just cut out the part that you want to replace, and replace it with a MIDI part. Since MIDI instruments sound "real" (as you've pointed out to us), the result sounds great, as you can hear in the video demo.

- Before you reject this idea (and continue to tell others that it can't be done), have you ever tried it? I have, many times, and it works great. Other who have responded to the thread have reported similar results.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Expert
Expert
After the power supply unit quit on my old computer (600 MHz, 1 GB RAM) I invested a little money in what I have now:
an i7-2600k 64bit, 4-core processor with 8 threads, and (only) 8 GB RAM plus a gamer-motherboard with overclocking capabilities.

I won't use overclocking, but the other features make it interesting:
It uses the processors graphics -- hence no graphics adaptor needed, since I don't play such games. It is sufficient for TV and office and music software.
It may hold up to 32 GB memory.
It already has USB3 ports on board for fast connections with harddrives.

I will expand on RAM when 8-GB-chips are available at reasonable prices.

No, I won't go back to the old system. Even my previous laptop with 2.2 GHz and 4 GB RAM had the hiccoughs when using more than two RealTracks and four different chords per measure.

Guido

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

>>>
- if you want to replace a RealTracks part with a customized part, just cut out the part that you want to replace, and replace it with a MIDI part. Since MIDI instruments sound "real" (as you've pointed out to us), the result sounds great, as you can hear in the video demo.<...>

I watched/listened to the video demo and definitely understand how to do it. However, the MIDI bass sound did not match the tone of the RT bass. It was harder, had more edge and less bottom. It wasn't necessarily a bad bass, just a different bass. In that case I would find it acceptable for the audience, but the tone change would bug me. Could I live with that? I suppose. But if it were me, unless I had an acoustic bass that matched the tone of the RT bass much better than that, I'd probably re-record the entire bass part as a MIDI bass so I wouldn't get the tonal change. I could live with that easier. But that's just me I guess.

So, I can see how that is done, but I cannot see how my real sounding MIDI sax or guitar is going to have the same tone as the RT guitar or sax. After all, how many guitar tones are there? How many sax tones are there? Many more than bass tones. Do I want the guitar or sax to abruptly sound like a real but different player for those few notes?

Take sax, if my MIDI sax sounds Getz-ish and the RT sax sounds Brecker-ish, putting a few Getz-ish notes in the middle of a Brecker-ish part is not going to sound very good to my ears. What if I have a Getz-ish sax, Turrentine-ish sax, Clemmons-ish sax but not Brecker-ish sax? I'm still not going to get an acceptable match.

Or guitar, I have many different clean guitar sounds on my MIDI modules, but there are probably thousands of others that I don't have. What are the chances that from the dozens of guitar sounds on my modules one is going to be an exact match to the one on the RT, guitar model, pickup selection, tone controls, amp, fx. etc.?

And if I happen to have a great bass that works even better than the example, what are the chances my guitar, sax, piano and/or other instruments would work too?

I'm thinking that if I am going to punch in a few notes of any instrument part, and get it to sound very close to the instrument on the track that I'm doing the punch-in on, I should have a similar instrument, similar microphone, similar FX unit, and so on. This makes sense to my way of thinking.

I've been on a recording session where the singer came back the next day to punch in over a mistake. The same singer, same microphone, same vocal booth, but the engineer didn't have all the settings recorded (local recording studio). The punch in sounded weird, almost like a feminine version of the same singer so they tweaked and re-punched and tweaked and re-punched. They ended up re-doing the entire vocal track because they couldn't get it to match.

So if that can happen, how can I expect a match without the same instrument and recording chain as the RT player?

Am I over-analyzing this?

Personally I don't see how I can get an exact match, or one close enough for my ears.

If I'm wrong about this, please educate me. This would be a great tool in my musical took kit.

Thanks.

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
C
Expert
Expert
C
Quote:

How many sax tones are there? Many more than bass tones.

I disagree. A professional bassist can get a lot of different sounds from the same instrument, let alone using different instruments, amps, etc. In fact, I think bass can be one of the most difficult instruments to recreate via MIDI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb3QzDWJ7RU&feature=related

Quote:

Take sax, if my MIDI sax sounds Getz-ish and the RT sax sounds Brecker-ish, putting a few Getz-ish notes in the middle of a Brecker-ish part is not going to sound very good to my ears. What if I have a Getz-ish sax, Turrentine-ish sax, Clemmons-ish sax but not Brecker-ish sax? I'm still not going to get an acceptable match.

Do you know Celmony Melodyne? I think it's a killer combination with Realtracks, and could be what you're looking for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4YEebBN2ok

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
We will always have those among us who don't necessarily like encompassing changes in the way technologies are done. Grampa wouldn't fly in the airplane, Great-Grandpa wouldn't ride in anything that didn't have a horse in front of it, etc.

So what? Such does not in any way detract from the lives and accomplishments of either, right?

I think that it is just another way in which the wondrous diversity of humankind is manifested.

Bob, you'd make better arguments if you made 'em shorter, just one man's observation. If you don't want to, then say you don't want to and leave it at that, its good in my way of looking at it, if for no other reason than it is yours.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
You have some good points Mac.

I'm not a Luddite by any stretch of the imagination. I was one of the first musicians around here to go computer (other musicians were telling me I'd be putting musicians out of work with that thing). I bought BiaB back when it was Atari/DOS/Mac-Motorola. I was the first sax player I know to do wind synth. If I waited too long to jump on the Internet, I never would have gotten the domain name nortonmusic.com

I love new technology, although I usually wait until version 2 comes out to embrace it (learned that from past experience - the cutting edge can be the bleeding edge).

If and when I can edit audio as good or better than I can with MIDI, I'll make the switch. Until then I'll use the tool that allows me to express myself and make my music the way that it pleases my personal tastes.

Virtually every technology has it's benefits and limitations. I've never dissed the better tone benefit of the RTs or audio loops. On the other hand, I also believe in the benefit to more completely and seamlessly edit MIDI. We each have to find the balance that suits us personally. Right now, for me it's MIDI, the ability for me to more completely put my musical expression in the piece is more important than the finer points of tone. When audio editing gets to that point (and it probably will in the future) I'll switch.

I have an afternoon gig today, but tomorrow I'm going to check out Celmony Melodyne and see what it is all about.

Last edited by Notes Norton; 02/28/12 09:10 AM.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
You could also check out RealBand Bob.

You can highlight a note (of audio) in the Audio Edit Window, right click and then transpose to change the note (or chord's) pitch. This is a high quality chipmunk free transposition using Elastique algorithms built in to RealBand. You can also create notes or chords using copy and paste.

All of this done within RealBand, no third party software required. Having said that, there is amazing third party software (Melodyne) that can change single notes within an audio chord, when you need to do that.

A much faster way of editing is to just add MIDI tracks to the audio tracks, and either erase the underlying audio, or leave it in. Leaving it in allows the the MIDI to sound more real. Often if the ear is hearing an audio guitar and a MIDI guitar,it all sounds like audio .

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Peter!

This sounds exciting. None of this was available when I first tried loops. They were more like a static collage.

I've used BiaB and PTPro for years and always assumed that RealBand was a combination of the two. So I never paid much attention to it. Seems like that may have been erroneous thinking.

I tend to run separate apps instead of the all-in-one app. Smaller menus with fewer sub and sub-sub menus (so I keep my hands off the mouse and on the synth keys more), less clutter, and more intense concentration on each task.

I remember dumping a sequencer/DAW because there were sometimes 4 sub-menus and I'd have to click-click-click-click to perform an action that I did often. Not only was that a time waster, my mouse finger was getting an RSI! (I won't mention any names because that was long ago and they may have fixed the menus.)

I guess R.Band has some nifty additional features that neither BiaB or PTPro has. I'm excited. It seems like a new tool/toy!!! I'm ready for a new adventure. Is there a link to the exclusive features of R.Band?

New computer is ordered (custom configured to keep the bloatware off and install more RAM) so I'll probably wait until it comes in to start the adventure. February and March are our two busiest gigging months as well. Not many days off (and that's a good thing because the slow season follows)

So, when the new ThinkPad arrives, do I just drag and drop the BiaB and RB folders to the new computer?

If so, where should I drop them? I've been told not to put them in the program files folder.

Any suggestions?

(You may make a convert out of me yet).

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
So, when the new ThinkPad arrives, do I just drag and drop the BiaB and RB folders to the new computer?

Yes, that will work. You also need to do the fonts, either run a basic install (almost any install of BB will install the fonts), or find the fonts (files beginning with PG and with extension .TTF in the old windows font folder, and copy them to the new PC's font folder.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Apprentice
Apprentice
Quote:

You could also check out RealBand Bob.

You can highlight a note (of audio) in the Audio Edit Window, right click and then transpose to change the note (or chord's) pitch. This is a high quality chipmunk free transposition using Elastique algorithms built in to RealBand. You can also create notes or chords using copy and paste.

All of this done within RealBand, no third party software required. Having said that, there is amazing third party software (Melodyne) that can change single notes within an audio chord, when you need to do that.

A much faster way of editing is to just add MIDI tracks to the audio tracks, and either erase the underlying audio, or leave it in. Leaving it in allows the the MIDI to sound more real. Often if the ear is hearing an audio guitar and a MIDI guitar,it all sounds like audio .

Hello Mr Gannon,

I have tried what you have said but as the audio is in the shape of a waveform (unlike Melodyne) isn't it going to be a bit difficult to pick out a particular note in the audio edit window?

Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Thanks,
jan

D
D
I need further clarification. I've tried this several times and have not been able to get it to work. Is there a video or something that shows how to do this? When i change to the expanded style I can still only get 4 chords in that measure.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Dwalk -

When you expand, you have to treat every measure as a half measure, which can get confusing, but works sound-wise. Your notation won't look right, but everything should sound right. What the expansion does is doubles the durations of the notes the style would play, which is why you have to set the tempo to double. So at that doubled tempo, it now takes double the bars to play one bar. But the effect is that it gives you four slots per on-screen bar to enter chords, giving you a work-around for 8th note chord resolution (and even 16th and 32nd note in places, if you you use pushes).

I hope that made sense.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
It might help to think of each numbered slot in the BiaB matrix as a 'cell' instead of a 'bar' or 'measure'. When using an EXPANDED style, each 'cell' becomes a half measure instead of an entire measure. So Bar Number one spans Cells # 1 and 2 -- Bar Number two spans Cells #3 & 4 -- and so on.

To compensate for each cell becoming a half bar instead of a whole one, you must therefore double the tempo.

As John pointed out, this will not work if you are using the notation editor to print lead sheets, but the work-around does allow for the entry of songs that would otherwise have to be severely compromised by BiaB.

As I pointed out earlier, I have a number of styles that were designed to be EXPANDED styles, so if your forced BiaB style doesn't work, go to http://www.nortonmusic.com/styledemo.html and give them a listen.

Notes

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I have a number of styles that were designed to be EXPANDED styles

And as a satisfied customer, I will definitely vouch for Bob Norton's styles. I have a number of songs that just came to life when I applied some of his styles (this is not to disparage PGMusic styles, because I have lots of songs that use their styles, also, but for some songs, they just didn't sound right until I applied one of Bob's styles).

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks, John.

I don't try to write styles to replace PG Music styles. There is no sense in that, PG Music already has a lot of great styles (some of them I wish I had written myself <grin>). Instead, I try to write styles that PG Music hasn't addressed yet. Styles that will work with songs that I can't find a PG Music style to work for.

So I think my styles expand the possibilities of BiaB. They complement the PG styles, instead of replace them.

Veteran
Veteran
OK, a couple of people have recommended Melodyne. I've been to the home page and read a lot about it. I think I'll wait until the gigging slows down to download the demo (I really won't have time to mess with it until after Mother's Day - the "season" dies after Easter and they bury it after Mothers Day).

Which version do you all recommend? It looks like the Editor is the best mix at $400 retail, but the Studio 3 is $700 retail. Is the Studio 3 worth the extra money? And what would I get for the additional $300?

Of course, shopping around will likely get them for less.

I don't want to spend more money than I need to, but on the other hand I don't want to short myself an important function so that I end up saying, "I wish I would have purchased ____ version."

Thanks

D
D
Thanks for the reply, I've been messing around with it. I can get it to work but the drums are way too fast. Is that normal? The chords sound ok. Should I expand from the very beginning of the song? Sorry to be such a bother butI'm a newbie.

Veteran
Veteran
When you 'expand' to use 2 cells for a measure the timing must change.

Before you were moving at 80 bpm and with 4 beats per cell.

Now in 2 cells (not one) is the measure. Just do the math. So start by changing that parameter so the song is going properly and sounds right.

John Conley
Musica est vita
D
D
Thanks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,487
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195