Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
As some of you are aware, (since you helped diagnose the problem), my motherboard and/or CPU fried on my old system a month or 2 ago. I've been using an old Dell shell with Ubuntu 11.10 to get by since then. I really couldn't afford a new system but I've been bummed not having BIAB and no video games!

I usually build my own systems, but I didn't have any current parts for a "base system" and it wasn't cost effective to start from scratch. So here's what I got:

Quote:

iBUYPOWER HS11

Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor (4x 3.30GHz/6MB L3 Cache)

Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155] - ARC Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)

8 GB [4 GB X 2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair XMS3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 - 2GB - Single Video Card - Zotac

Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 Motherboard

Thermaltake 850 Watt W0319RU Power Supply

1 TB Hard Drive -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

Optical Drive (24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black)

3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit

NZXT Tempest 410 Gaming Case - Black

iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ([6-Port] NZXT Internal USB Expansion System + Bluetooth & Wireless N Modules)

3 Year Standard Warranty Service

It was a "configure your own" system so I made sure to get a MOBO with 2 extra PCI and 2 extra PCI Express slots for expansion. I'll probably add my old Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS to it and put my old 500 GB hard drive in so I can add XP 32 as a dual boot system, (I have music hardware and software that won't run on a 64 bit system).

I'll have to say that this is easily the quietest system I've ever been around. I guess the Liquid CPU Cooling system is worth considering for any recording musician, not just gamers.

I'd like to say thanks again to everyone who helped with the old PC. There's a bunch of good folks on this forum.

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Looks good Bob. What's the geek bench score for that? http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Peter,

I'd never used Geekbench, but since I know you're a trusted source I installed and ran it. (FWIW, it's FREE to try, 20 seconds to install and 60 seconds to run, in case anyone else wants to try it out).

I did get the message on the install that "64 bit benchmarks are disabled for tryout mode", so it ran it based on 32 bit benchmarks.

My score was 8,492. How's that?

Last edited by bobcflatpicker; 02/17/12 04:25 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bob,

Not Peter of course but:
Limited knowledge of Geekbench but my score on a pretty fast 3 1/2 year old Vista system
is 2895, hench your PC is literally 2.9 times faster perfomance than mine, its a screamer.

Based this on http://support.primatelabs.ca/kb/geekbench/interpreting-geekbench-scores

Hot damn, wish yours was sitting on my desk...

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Frank,

Thanks for the link on interpreting the Geekbench scores. It helps me put it in perspective.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
happy for you, BobC.

*smile*

--Mac

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Congrats !

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks guys. It feels good just having a computer that WORKS! Especially so fast!

Mac,

I really appreciate the phone conversations we had while I was trying to figure out the problem with the old computer. Thanks again my friend.

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Yes, that's an incredibly fast GeekBench result.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Happy for you, Bob. Looking forward to seeing you post some of that good ol mountain music.

Don S.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Congrats Bob!

Josie

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
If you don't mind my asking Bob, how many of your US dollars did it take to get that thing humming (quietly) in front of you?

Curious regards,

Marc

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Marc,

I don't mind. $1045 plus shipping. iBUYPOWER was having a Super Bowl sale on a "configure your own" system. There were several upgrades I got for free as part of the promotion.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
A newer PC is on my horizon the next few months.
Shopping a bit, and trying to learn more, and in process
found this link for PC Geekbench speed comparisons.
My current Vista system clocks out a bit faster
due to my Nvidia 9600 graphics card. The 2895 as
mentioned above. In June its about 4 years old.

Your system 8492 is right up there in speed.
Your processor can drive even faster system as noted
on this link. Its only 8 down from the top units
tested Nov 2011. You really have a hot system.

http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/pc-benchmarks/

Make sure you have lotsa air movement around it.

Envy, Envy, Envy, Envious....think that is some kind of a sin.

Last edited by seeker; 02/18/12 03:02 PM.

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Frank,

Quote:

Make sure you have lotsa air movement around it.

I should be in good shape in that regard. I had them add 2 large high performance silent fans to the case. The top of the case over the MOBO is essentially open as it has a mesh or grate to allow heat to rise, although I have yet to detect even the slightest bit of warm air coming out, even while playing games. I've never had a liquid CPU cooling system but it seems to be working very well.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Even though I somehow suspect that you have plenty experience in the art and science of liquid cooling.

Now you can apply to the puter instead of just yer liver though...

Hey BobC, TRIED TO CALL YA and got someone else?

PM me.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bob,
does this mean we'll be hearing some new songs from you?

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
I had a liquid cooling system on my PC, but it kept leaking and breaking down... finally the manufacturer suggested I switch to a heat sink with extra fans.... it's been running like a charm since then... keep an eye on it... it also kept frying my memory modules... and since they were guaranteed for life... they kept changing them for free, but it was a hassle... Ever since the heat sink, no problem there too.

2008 Gibson ES-339 Custom & 2010 Les Paul Traditional. Fender SCXD Amp
BIAB/RB 2015 UltraPAK + Ketron SD2
Windows 7/64 Intel i5 3550 PC, Tascam USB144MKII
Behringer X1204 Mixer
Bose Companion 3 and/or L1 II w/T1 + SM58 MIC
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Marc,

I don't mind. $1045 plus shipping. iBUYPOWER was having a Super Bowl sale on a "configure your own" system. There were several upgrades I got for free as part of the promotion.

THanks Bob, I think you'd have to look very long and hard over here in Euro land to find a comparable system for under 800 EUR.

ENJOY!!

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Pat,

Quote:

does this mean we'll be hearing some new songs from you?

Maybe, ... maybe not. It at least removes one of my excuses for not recording.

I've got a ton of originals that I'd like to at least do rough draft recordings of before I croak. At least a few of them are pretty good and potentially marketable.

But I still have the excuse of letting my chops get stale! It would take at least a few months to get even close to where they need to be.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195