Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
OP Offline
I love BIAB 2012, but was not aware at purchase that my driver for my RolandED SC-8820 sound module was not going to be compatible with Windows 7. I have the same problem with all my Norton styles and Norton Fake Books as they are also not compatible with Windows 7.

Does anyone know of a drive fix for this? Roland has no Windows 7 driver that works with the SC-8820.

Thank you.

OP Offline
Windows 7, 64-bit.

Veteran
Veteran
The Norton styles and fakebook problem is an easy fix. Bob Norton has often commented that in situations like this, simply contact him and he will gladly send you updated installation programs for previous purchases.

For the Roland sound module, here is something you might try, based on the following post I found:

Quote:

Hi All ....
I have install WIN 7 64Bit OS .. I got the SC-8820 driver install by using the Vista64Bit downloaded version from Roland web site
Instead of running the setup file go to the device and update the driver from their.
Select the scan drivers from my computer and point it to the unzipped files
It will load the driver and recognise the SC-8820 device
I have connected it to Sonar Cakewalk without a problem

You can find the driver downloads -->> here

You'll see the 64-bit Vista driver. It's a zip file, which you can unzip to a folder. Update the driver by selecting "scan drivers from your computer" and point it to the folder you unzipped the files to.

I don't have the device myself, but a little bit of web research seemed to indicate that the above should work.

Good luck.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi,

I think you should be able to use any USB MIDI interface with the SC8820? Perhaps if there's someone here that has one, they will confirm...

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Sometimes Vista drivers will work on Win 7 and sometimes not; I had to get a new printer for my win 7 system because the Vista drivers did not work. BUT I did pickup this tidbit of information from a keyboard site. Try it and let us know if it works.

“I have install WIN 7 64Bit OS .. I got the SC-8820 driver install by using the Vista64Bit downloaded version from Roland web site
Instead of running the setup file go to the device and update the driver from their.
Select the scan drivers from my computer and point it to the unzipped files
It will load the driver and recognise the SC-8820 device
I have connected it to Sonar Cakewalk without a problem”

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Journeyman
Journeyman
Mario,

Were do I find "the scan drivers"?
Have searched my whole Laptop, but can not seem to find it.

Brgds,
Tonnie
Bergen, Norway

PS. Due to the time difference I will always wake up before you do (as long as I do it)!

Veteran
Veteran
God dag, Tonnie -

Left-click on the Start Orb, right click on "Computer" (in the right pane that pops up), and select "Manage". Once the new screen pops up, select Device Manager. Find your soundcard in the list, then right click on it and select "Update Driver Software". On the next screen, select "Browse my computer for Driver Software". At the next screen, select the folder where you unzipped the driver software and click "Next" and it should find and update the driver.

I suggest that before doing any of this, you set a restore point first.

Hilsen fra Amerika,

John

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Tonnie, it looks like John got up before me

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Journeyman
Journeyman
It seems that you suggestion to load Vist64Bit drivers via the "device update" is a dead end, as Roland products are notorious unwilling to install while the product is connected to the USD port of a computer.

On the following web site Roland has published a list of products for which there are WIN 7 drivers available, as both the SC-8020 and XV-5050 (which are the sound modules I am interested in) are not mentioned, I deduct that there are (as yet) no WIN 7 drivers available.

http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=information&id=62223370#audioif

If someone knows of any outside suppliers please let me know. It would probably not hurt if all with the same (or similar) interest would contact Roland/Edirol asking them to provide WIN 7 drivers ASAP.

Presently there are hardly any sound modules available with MIDI out or through, which I need for outputting chords to my Voice Works.

Brgds,
Tonnie

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I made my own drivers for my XV2020 using another driver sound module. I changed some identifiers in the files contained in the Roland package driver.

All these sound modules are usable with biab using a midi usb interface (but you won't be able to edit the patches with the Roland XV Editor).

Free tools for Biab:
Biab Scales and BIArpeggio to practice scales/arpeggio
Biab Explorer: the other song picker
Veteran
Veteran
I feel your pain because along with the printer I had to dump a Roland MPU64 MIDI hub as the Vista 64 drivers did not work on it in Win 7.

Did you try to install the drivers via “device update” with the unit disconnected from the computer? That may work. If it does you can daisy chain the two synths together via MIDI but you will lose the software editor on the synth that has no driver, the second one in the chain.

You should be able to connect both units using a midi interface like this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDISport2AE/

I have a number of old synths, a midi controller, a guitar controller etc connected this way. But because it is MIDI I lost the software editors that were contained in the original drivers. They work perfectly but I can’t save presets like I use to in XP. Not a big problem for me. Before anyone asks yes I checked all over the internet for drivers and there were none.

A couple of words of caution on these interfaces, if they are USB driven like the one above make sure that either you have a free USB port on the computer to use them with or a powered USB hub. Also note that not all powered USB hubs are the same and some do not have enough power for a unit like the interface. Also be sure they come with Win 7 drivers!

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Journeyman
Journeyman
There is a Roland forum where they claim to have developed of a driver for the XV-5050 for Win 7/64. It can be found under:

www.rolandforums.co.uk/forums/viewthread/1319/

I am still waiting to receive mine, but hope to get it soon.
Hope this can help others too!

Tonnie

PS. Should anyone come across a driver for Win 7/64 for the SC-8020 I would be very interested!

Expert
Expert
Quote:

..all my Norton styles and Norton Fake Books....are also not compatible with Windows 7.

Actually, your Norton Styles will work fine with Windows 7. Its the old Norton installation application that won't run in Win7. One solution as noted is to contact Notes Norton and get a new installation program for each style you have ordered from him.

Other solutions:

Dont do a completely clean installastion of Biab on your new computer. First copy your old BB folder with all of its contents onto the new computer and then install your new 2012 version into that folder. This has the advantage if keeping all your third party styles, personally created styles and other assorted things intact. Make a note for the future. When you upgrade to any new and improved version of Biab, your old BB folder is gold. Never discard it. If possible, always install into it.

if that is no longer an option:

Go to a computer that has an older operating systen like Windows XP. Make an empty folder in the c:\ directory and call it BB. Install the Norton styles into it. Copy the folder to a thumb drive. Copy the contents of the folder into your BB folder on the new computer. All your Norton stuff should run fine.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Quote:

Should anyone come across a driver for Win 7/64 for the SC-8020 I would be very interested!

Tonnie, as I said before, I wrote my own drivers for the XV-2020. I compiled a driver for the SC-8820 the same way. You'll find it here. Please let me known if it works (I could not test it as I don't own the SC-8820).

I compiled a driver for the XV-5050 too. I don't know if both drivers can be used on the same station as they contain same ids...

Free tools for Biab:
Journeyman
Journeyman
Chris,

Sorry I did not get it the first time, but have now downloaded the driver and will try it later today.

Thanks,
Tonnie

Journeyman
Journeyman
Chris,

The installation of the driver seemed to be straight forward. Afterwards the USB indication light on the front of the SC-8820 showed that there was an active connection with the PC. The SC-8820 also showed up in the MIDI Output driver-list in BB.

However the Synthesizer / Soundcard list the only name that comes near is; Roland SC88-20, but this does not work. So I downloaded one of the appropriate Patch Maps from the BB Support page. In spite of having the files properly extracted, my PC does not seem to know what to do with “.pat” files. So until I get some help here, I am stuck.

Will keep you posted.
Tonnie

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Sorry that id does not work for the SC8820. Maybe the XV5050 driver will work ?

Free tools for Biab:
Journeyman
Journeyman
Chris,

In order to compare XP to Win 7 / 64, I downloaded and installed to appropriate driver for the Roland SC-8820. In the MIDI / Audio driver set up window, under MIDI output driver the following alternatives showed up:

1: Roland SC-8820 Part A
1: Roland SC-8820 Part B
1: Roland SC-8820 MIDI OUT

This is similar to what I saw earlier under WIN 98 SE.
The Piano Test in the MIDI Output Driver Wizard gave results for Part A and B (of course nothing for MIDI OUT).

With your driver Win 7 / 64 only Roland SC-8820 showed up. Can this be an indication that there is a minor flaw in the driver you developed?

Tonnie

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hi Tonnie,

My driver is based on the Fantom XR driver. I simply changed the id of the hardware. If it doesn't work, it's probably because the SC-8820 is developed using another technology.

Chris

Free tools for Biab:
Veteran
Veteran
1. Have you verified that sending actual MIDI data to the unit over the USB cable from your PC actually triggers a sound? Using any app other than BIAB. Any simple straight GM MIDI file player set to send over the SC-8820 MIDI output?

2. A ".pat" file is/can be accessed via the "higher banks" (aka "+" button). The "+" button is sandwiched between the "GM2 F" buttons and the "Volume" (same row as pan, A.reverb, Tone, Bank0, LSB, ...)

When you click it asks for the Pat file you want to open - then lists the patches, and the associated patch #, MSB and LSB banks. The patch you select will affect/sound on the BIAB instrument (part) you have selected (Bass, Piano, Drums, Guitar, Strings, Melody, or Soloist ) at top of BIAB screen.

It's nice if under "Opt/Midi Audio Driver Setup/ Synthesizer/Sound Card" pull down your synth is there explicitly but for an SC-8820 (I have an 8850) the generic GM instrument or even the "SC-88" should work - at least for first 128 patches to get it started as a basic GM device.

Suggestion after BIAB is up and song is selected, and " Synthesizer/Sound Card" has been set - turn the SC-8820 off then back on - just to ensure a "clean slate" on the unit.

Good luck
Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,513
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195