Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
If that unit is anything like the hardware sound modules I have used, including Roland, you would not want to cycle the power while BIAB is on, because BIAB will 'lose' it as a device. BIAB checks for devices when you start the program.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Matt

I just PM'ed you

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
And I you. I don't think there's any problem here, but if you know something I don't, which wouldn't be the first time, post away!

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
To the viewing public - nothing secret going on between Matt and myself I just didn't want to embarrass myself in public - he prevented that.

Back to the issue

After re-reading all the posts I think I lost the bubble on where/what drivers Tonnie was able to actually install with CONFIRMED communication between the SC-8820 and Win 7. Regardless, the point I was trying to make was, while in this developmental/discovery phase of how to get it to work in BIAB, to ensure at beginning of a BIAB song that the SC-8820 was actually in "native" GM2 or at least GS mode and not some "weird" unresponsive mode caused by initial selection of something like a Yama PSR or Korg device in the "synth/sound card" menu.

And FWIW with repect to PAT files: Tonnie look in the BIAB Help file under " Patches on Higher Banks" it explains it better than I did and with pictures to boot!

As a side note, since I moved to Win 7 64 I haven't spent much time trying to get the Roland USB or Serial (ZERO success on serial drivers so I dual boot for that) drivers to work because I run all my external MIDI equipment using multiple MIDI patch bays (via a lot of 5-Pin DIN MIDI cables). It gives me much better flex, control, and situational awareness over my external equipment.

The drawback is I can't use all 64 parts of my SC-8850 over MIDI cables, I can only access half (32 total using the two MIDI ins on the SC-8850). In my case the loss of those additional 32 parts is immaterial, I don't really use the SC-8850 for more than quick scratch work and not even much of that. I have availalbe more synth's with more total polyphony then I will ever realistically use.

However, in Tonnie's case, over standard MIDI cables the SC-8820 can only address the first 16 multitimbral parts that's a loss of 50% of available parts so I can appreciated the "ouch" factor.

Good Luck tonnie

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
When using the higher patches with Roland hardware and a BIAB .PAT file, my experience is that you do not send a GM or GS ON command, nor set it to either of those modes upon initialization. You need to set the hardware unit to initialize in its 'native' setting.

Larry, you mentioned Korg & Yamaha products too. The Yamaha uses a different numbering system, one digit different that Roland. It means the same .PAT file cannot possibly work. Not sure about Korg, but Gary Curran would know.

Veteran
Veteran
Matt,

Concur (I have hobbled together a few PAT/INS/INI files, some here - some not, for all three vendors plus Alesis).

Tonnie/Memphismusic

Sorry I have gotten this way OT from your OP's:

1) Lack of Roland WIN 7 64 USB drivers: yes there is a lack of them for SC-88xx modules (so use standard MIDI cabling - yes, you lose access to half of the units part's), and

2) PAT files how to use: please read BIAB help (not my ramblings) if still have questions almost anyone in these forums is willing and able to help in that area.

Good luck
Larry

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Band in a Box would not address the second set of 16 available MIDI channels on that synth anyway, as the way that is implemented with all of the hardware synths having the feature is that the second set of 16 are addressed as a separate MIDI synth. This is because of the MIDI standard, which only allows for 16 channels per synth, period.

But Band in a Box also can only address ONE MIDI synth at a time, ruling out the use of any "Synth B" implementation that can use all 32 available channels.

And besides that, BiaB doesn't really have anything to do with those extra channels, no parts to play on them unless one were to include the built in SEQ and add a MIDI file and also attempt to play back a BiaB style at the same time, something which wouldn't sound very good anyway.

RealBand or Powertracks programs can be used to address both synths simultaneously, however, and anyone who wants to try using more than 16 MIDI channels should move the project over to one of those fullblown multichannel sequencing softwares.

--Mac

P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
Just tried making SC-8820 work on my Windows 7 (home premium SP1) laptop. Downloaded Vista 64-bit driver from Roland. Extracted from zipfile, clicked on SETUP - said incompatible, so clicked on incompatibility troubleshooter and told it that it had worked on Vista - saved that and it installed fine. SC-8820 working fine. BIAB shows PARTA, PARTB, MIDI OUT as before with XP machine.

(Having said that I use Realtracks most of the time so this was just as a backup / to see if it worked. I use a Roland SD-50 now, which has the advantage of playing both the MIDI and the Audio files!)

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199