Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#152837 03/09/12 08:15 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'm looking for a full range small,cheap speaker that I can use to play guitar, bass or keyboard through. I don't want a regular amp. I use my laptop as the pre with AT3 & Ampeg SVX. The first thing that comes to mind is a Kustom 10" powered. Any other suggestions? Of course based on personal use.
Thanks friends.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
John,

I am a big fan of Pawn Shops, you might look there as they are always speakers of all sort in the ones I visit.

Good Luck,

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Although discontinued by Radio Shack after nearly 30 years, the Minimus 7s are great full-range speakers.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=minimus+7+speakers

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Powered

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
John,

The cheapest full range powered speakers for performance - which is what you want if I understand correctly - are keyboard amplifier packages.

zzounds selection: http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?q=keyboard+amp&form=search

Sweetwater selection: http://www.sweetwater.com/c525--Keyboard_Amplifiers/pn1

Another option are powered mains that can be used as well, but they don't have the controls that keyboard amps provide:

http://www.sweetwater.com/c134--Active_Powered_PA_Speakers

The exception is that Behringer with the 3 channel mixer built in - that's actually a cool product - I would call it a keyboard amp!

-Scott

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
John i have the non powered Kustom 10s and i love them, not huge sound, but very useable. I would expect the powered as the same with ... well power. Should do the job.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman

Off-Topic
D
DHD Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
In regards to the Behringer Truth B3031A
I maybe wrong but aren't studio reference monitors "near field" designed.
Not sure they would work well for gigging.

Bill

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

I'm looking for a full range small,cheap speaker that I can use to play guitar, bass or keyboard through. I don't want a regular amp. I use my laptop as the pre with AT3 & Ampeg SVX. The first thing that comes to mind is a Kustom 10" powered. Any other suggestions? Of course based on personal use.
Thanks friends.

Check out the Roland CUBE offerings.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

John i have the non powered Kustom 10s and i love them, not huge sound, but very useable. I would expect the powered as the same with ... well power. Should do the job.

I have the 15" non powered ones. The odd thing is I discovered there is a difference between the powered & non powered. The non have crossovers with horns that have compression drivers. The powered do not. they just use piezo horns.
I think I'll just build my own. This is just for small get togethers in the living room or whatever. I have all I need for performance.Just to play guitar, bass or keyboard. As I said I have modeling software so the lappy serves as the pre & effects etc. Just need a full range speaker with power.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

In regards to the Behringer Truth B3031A
I maybe wrong but aren't studio reference monitors "near field" designed.

Yes. But I have used them as loud speakers in a small space 900sqft ~ 1000sqft with under 50 folks in attendance and they sound great if you are not looking to color the sound. In fact they can be way too loud.

I have also used one as a stage monitor in a pinch. In this case it was a school gym with a stage ~500 folks in attendance. During dress rehearsals the backing tracks on the PA sounded just fine and the choir was able to pick up its ques. After the place was filled with bodies the PA was insufficient on stage. I hooked the B3031 to the monitor out and tucked it behind the risers of the choir, reflecting off the back wall. The choir had no problem hearing the backing tracks. In fact, the monitor could be heard at the back of the gym.

Neither of the above are the intended use, but they work great in both situations.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My parents store sells quite a few of those Cube amps Mac mentioned. Many happy customers raving about them. Even the the micro cube gets great reviews. I was surprised by them.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I have a micro cube, and while it is totally amazing for what it is, it is not really full sounding enough to play a "full band" through.

For a small area like a living room alone or with a friend or two, I might suggest monitors as well. i have M-Audio BX5A's and I play through them for practice, and they are great. with the doors closed, you can hear them out at the street.

John you might be over thinking this for a small area type system. you don't need anything big and powerful. At my house i can't even use my Kustom 10s, they just are too loud for the neighborhood. My M-Audio monitors are perfect.

Last edited by Robh; 03/10/12 08:35 AM.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I did not use the word, "MICRO" along with Cube.

Check out the Roland Cube series, John.

Like maybe the 60W one...

--Mac

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
John, what are the specifics of your needs again besides 'powered' and 'speaker'? Do you need a small mixer on-board or ability to use multiple sources into the powered speaker?

Mac, the cube series - aren't they aimed at the guitar amplifier market? I'm wondering if they are indeed full range. I know that they use amp simulation, so perhaps they are full range and rely on the amp simulation to emulate cabinet and speaker non-flat response that is so characteristic of guitar amps.

I didn't see any of the larger cubes that were simply powered full range speaker arrangements. There's a smaller one that is battery powered that looks more like a powered speaker - just curious.

I'm trolling this thread because I am sort of in the market for something similar - a full range self-contained thing, with multiple inputs/simple mixer (my needs, not necessarily John's) and want to have a finger on the pulse of this market. That Behringer unit looks most interesting for the price to me: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B205D.aspx $150

-Scott

Last edited by rockstar_not; 03/10/12 09:17 AM.
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Cube is fullrange enough.

Yes, due to the fact it is a "modeling" amp, the power output stage is actually a full "twenty to twenty" (20Hz to 20KHz) arrangement, much like you'd find in a 60W HIFI amplifier.

One reason why they work so well with 88 key piano keyboards and basses, too.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Let me try this another way. I have a full blown PA. 15" two way tops with an 1100 watt Crown. I have a pair of 15" subs with a 1500 watt Crown. That's plenty of PA for gigs. For gigs I play bass with IKMultimedia audio interface into the lappy where I use their Ampeg SVX modeling plug. Sometimes I'll use AT3. So I don't need a PA & I don't need the front end of a keyboard or guitar amp. I have all the control I need in the software. So the scenario is this: " hey John were having some friends over for a couple beers and play some tunes. All acoustic players. I think they'd be upset if I brought that PA rig over.All I want is one simple little powered pa speaker to play bass, guitar or keyboard through using the lappy as front end. One instrument. That's it.
What I'm looking for is someone who has bought one of the little pieces of crap on the market but is pleasantly surprised at how it sounds. I know I could buy a JBL pa speaker and it would be great. Don't want to spend that kind of $$$$$. If the Kustom 10" powered had a real horn I'd get that as I like the 15" from them I have.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
John, with that description, I would simply then just go with a powered main speaker from Behringer - most of them let you pole mount them or they also lay nicely on their side as a floor monitor type thing. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B212XL/

$142

But to be honest, spending another 7 bux (though losing the horn) the B250D from Behringer looks like a better deal from a flexibility standpoint.

Off-Topic
P
Journeyman
Journeyman
P
Hey John,

Long time no talk.

About 3 years ago I purchased a Behringer Ultratone K450 FX - a 45 Watt PA / Keyboard Amp and love it.
It has 3 line inputs- I use one for my MP3 player and one for my mic. I quit the piano playing but do play a melodica over the mike.

I play in smaller to medium-sized restaurants and other venues as well as outdoors; it's plenty loud. Also very portable. The RealTracks sound great.

The unit costs about $180 nowadays so it's not all that cheap anymore. I paid around $120.

Percy

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Scott the B212XL is passive (not powered).

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195