#153182 03/11/12 10:22 PM
RealBand
R
rokq22 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Yes, I have been watching the tutorials as I've been told to (and would have anyway). The last one I viewed was the 3rd one entitled "Cooking the song with RealTracks Part 2". However, the 4th one was called "Real Band Plugin Mode to Reaper, Part 1". Er, so could someone please tell me how does "Reaper" fit in the PG Music's "RealBand"? Frankly, I got the idea that RealBand was a recording program itself. So why does the author of those tutorials go to using "Reaper" for recording?

Guess I'm done for the night as I have no idea how or why the tutorials went from a "How I Use RealBand To Improve My BIAB Song" tutorial to a "How To Use Reaper For Recording And Finalizing My Song From RealBand" tutorial.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Hi rockq22,

Sounds like you've been watching dfizzbom's videos on Youtube. They are excellent. Dan has done a great job putting them together.

Reaper is a DAW like SONAR, Audacity, Protools, etc. If you're perfectly happy using Realband to assemble your songs, there's no reason for you to consider Reaper.

Like Dan, I create my songs in in BIAB, dress them up in Realband and then take the tracks from Realband to Reaper to mix and master the final work. I find that Reaper has a great deal control over putting the end product together. That's just me, though.

As I said, if you're happy with Realband, there's no need to look any further.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

So why does the author of those tutorials go to using "Reaper" for recording?

Because Reaper is way cool. Actually the BIAB - RB - Reaper is a very common progression - kinda like the I - IV - V of home studio workflows.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

RealBand
R
rokq22 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Thanks for the responses. Yes, I've been watching the videos by dfizzbom and will watch a few more today. But, okay, so I take it that some folk must not be pleased enough with RealBand to use it for recording and opt for "Reaper" instead. If I might ask WHY? Easier to use? More things to tinker with? I'm a newbie and haven't recorded ANYTHING through the computer yet but will soon (I just purchased my Line 6 UX1 interface and got it installed) so I'm just wondering as I'm almost ready to do so. (I already have tons of songs to work on and record). Anyhow, I've been to the "Reaper" website (just read it more carefully) and, apparently, the "discount license" can be obtained for $60. (I was thinking it was gonna cost $299):

"$225: full commercial license. $60: discounted license. You may use the discounted license if any of the following is true: You are an individual, using REAPER only for personal use. You are an individual or business, using REAPER for commercial use, and the yearly gross revenue does not exceed USD $20,000. You are an educational or non-profit organization."

Guess I'll go for it.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
No, No, NO. You haven't recorded your first lick yet. Real Band is perfectly fine for 95% of the people on this forum. What it doesn't do and something like Reaper or Sonar does is way, way above your head right now. That's like third year student stuff and you're still in recording basics 101. No cutting classes and jumping ahead when you haven't finished 101. Once you completely understand how RB works to the point that you're answering noob's questions on this forum you may well be in that 95% and have no need for anything else.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
RealBand
R
rokq22 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Quote:

No, No, NO. You haven't recorded your first lick yet. Real Band is perfectly fine for 95% of the people on this forum. What it doesn't do and something like Reaper or Sonar does is way, way above your head right now. That's like third year student stuff and you're still in recording basics 101. No cutting classes and jumping ahead when you haven't finished 101. Once you completely understand how RB works to the point that you're answering noob's questions on this forum you may well be in that 95% and have no need for anything else.

Bob

Well, I went for it but can easily uninstall it. But should I? The thing is that, as instructed to, I've been watching the videos (so far only the first 3 by dfizzbom) and it was in the 3rd one where the RealBand tracks were dragged over to Reaper. So I guess I went too far and should check out some of the other tutorials dealing with RealBand. I'll watch "How To make Music with RealBand", Parts 1 and 2, by oicurapns in a bit (need breakfast).

But now wondering, since Reaper might be more than I can chew at the moment why are there so many Reaper videos on the PG Music site and not more recording with RealBand videos? I mean, I went to this:

http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.user.htm

and thought that, because they were the ones posted on the PG Music website, that these were the videos I was to watch that would show me how to start recording. So where are the videos that teach SPECIFICALLY on recording with RealBand?

RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Reaper has a well rather rabid following, and you will find Reaperites on almost every forum singing it's praises. I believe since the developers are out in the open and the users get to have almost daily input into the development. Plus the fact that the program is cheap, and has almost daily updates.

I have a license for version 4 and have used it, but i find i can do everything i need in RB.

Where Reaper really shines is in the area of routing of tracks. Every track acts like a buss, and or a instrument track, and you can send and receive to and from all of them in very unique ways.

Reaper is in my view still a long way off the top tier, but developing smoothly. It is a viable option, for those who do not want to spend the money on cubase, or sonar, and prefer daily, slow, steady development, over once or twice a year version based development.

I also own Sonar X1d, and it is a very solid program, while Reaper may be it's equal in audio Sonar is superior in midi. I find i like the work flow better in Sonar, partially due to familiarity, but also due to the fact that i don't want to have to go through the custom setup required in Reaper each time.

For me RB is like a simple, powerful, and comfortable old jacket. All my sonar plugins work in RB, SO i have a great suite of plugs to use along with PGs which are far better than most give them credit for.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
So rokq22, do you have any clue about most of what Rob just said? No? Pack up Reaper and just learn Real Band until you understand this stuff. Yes, all the other DAW's usually do one thing better than the others or have one feature the other's don't have like Real Tracks in RB for example. You can go crazy thinking oh I have to be able to do that when what you have can actually do it just not as easily. They're all like that. Pick one and learn it then you can make an informed decision to go off with something else.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
As you visit the respective forums, remember where you are when you are reading. If you are riding the Reaper range, you won't hear a discouraging word. Same for Sonar, Protools, Real Band.... it's like trying to explain to a Grateful Dead fan why their music sucks once the drugs wear off. Talking to diehard fans about something is not the right place to get unbiased, objective reviews. Read reviews from people who have no agenda.

Real Band does almost everything any Digital Audio Workstation (I hate getting newer people lost in the acronym desert - I still call them "sequencers" - I see no need to care about being "industry hip, groovy or cool") does, PLUS it composes. No other software that is considered to be in the deeper end of the sequencer gene pool is going to compose. Garage Band, and now some new piano thing, but none of them do what Real Band does.

Write your first song with Real Band. Then write your first song with Reaper. And that is a trick question because Reaper will not "write" your first song. You have to play all the tracks in, assign the MIDI channels for drum machines, etc....

I changed to Real Band after doing it the hard way for a long time. The ONLY downside to Real Band is that Real Band is ruining me for playing. The software plays better than I ever have or ever will. I have created guitar solos with the Real Tracks that the very good guitar players from my old band say "Wow. Who is that?"

Beat Real Band up some before you move away from it.

(edited to correct AWFUL spelling mistakes)

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
RealBand
Apprentice
Apprentice
I wholeheartedly agree with Bob, above. Reaper, Sonar, etc., will all have their own considerable learning curves. You've already begun the learning process with Realband. Stick with it and learn how to record and edit within Realband. You may very well find that it is all you need. And you can't beat free (with the purchase of BIAB), along with the great support you'll find from both PG Music and this friendly forum of users.

Terry

BIAB/RB 2018 PlusPak. Dell Inspiron23 running Win10, 12GB RAM, 2.5GHz i7, Presonus AudioBox USB interface.
RealBand
R
rokq22 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Quote:

The ONLY downside to Real Band is that Real Band is ruining me for playing. The software plays better than I ever have or ever will. I have created guitar solos with the Real Tracks that the very good guitar players from my old band say "Wow. Who is that?"

Beat Real Band up some before you move away from it.

I understand that! But for me it's HELPING my playing! I stuck a Real Tracks solo by Brent Mason in a simple progression in a BIAB song and it was great! Frankly, I never could have thought of it myself and was going to leave it but thought, "Why not learn the solo and play it myself?" (Besides, even the guitar tablature is there!) And so I learned it. For me, BIAB is great for coming up with new improvised guitar solos. (Which is a problem I have.) Anyhow, I haven't "composed" any songs with RealBand yet but I'm VERY happy with BIAB and can open all the stuff in RealBand so there's no need to learn writing on RealBand now, just how to record with it.

Okay, so I deleted "Reaper" and will concentrate on RealBand. It was just that I saw the videos and thought that was the way to go. I still don't get that so many of the videos that are on the front page of the tutorials/video page were for "Reaper" and not RealBand instruction. Oh well, they were great (mostly saw the ones for BIAB and beginning with RealBand) but think it would have been nice if the instruction was for RealBand instead of Reaper. Oh well...

Oh, another positive aspect of using BIAB and RealBand is this forum. It's great that I get all my questions answered so quickly.

Thanks all!

RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Hey Bob, thanks for clearing my comments up, sometimes i have issues with getting to the point!

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,633
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234
38,498 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193