Go To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Off-Topic
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi all.

A friend of mine has performed country songs for years, just singing and playing guitar. A while back he asked me to put drums and bass on some backing tracks and this seemed to work well. Recently, a few tracks have acquired slide guitar and piano. Now he's asking - "How many instruments can I put on before people will stop thinking of it as a live performance?"

Now, before we get back into the MIDI v Realtracks argument, let me say that all the instruments were recorded live, except the drums which were programmed.

I know that this really has to be a subjective view and that there isn't going to be just one simple answer, but I also know that there's a wealth of experience out there and I'd love to know what you all think.

ROG.

Off-Topic
R
Expert
Expert
R
I use BIAB for most of my live performances. I play piano and have a lead vocalist. We use BIAB for bass and drums. Often times, we bring in a live sax player which really adds a lot. That is all I use and feel it is pushing the limits of live performance to the point of almost karaoke. We do try to perform songs with just piano and vocals but still have many which require the backing tracks.

As much as I love adding Bossa guitar and soloists, I just don't think it is 'real'. If the audience closes their eyes, it would be great. I think the other instruments are perfect for making demos and CDs but there is something about using these live which makes me feel like I'm doing karaoke.

How would you like it watching a duo of piano and singer with a bunch of virtual instruments backing? It sounds great but still something is wrong with the picture. I've sat through a duo using backing tracks and it just is not the same.

I do have a music degree which probably alters my opinion of such a setup. Even though the performers may be great, hearing instruments that are not really there lowers my opinion of the performance.

Now if only I could find venues that are willing to pay for a quartet...

R

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I have been out to a dozen places in the past year, and all of them had either one man shows, or Duos. The crowd seemed happy and engaged. I think the biggest deal is was the performer good, and did he entertain the crowd. If he sang well, played the guitar well, and the backing instruments sounded good, the crowd stayed and listened and responded, then i would say that is live entertainment.

After that it is all just opinions really. er .. ah . just like mine is here i guess!

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I strongly agree with Rachael. Less is more. As soon as you add a full band behind one or two people is's Karaoke. I play keyboards so it's bass and drums for 90% of the tunes and maybe some rhythm guitar but never strings or horns because I'll have those set up as layers. If there's strings or a synth pad coming in people can see me doing it. I like to use my Kurzweil to it's full capabilities and play all kinds of things, not just piano or organ. It drives me crazy when I see a good player doing nothing but piano when he's got a killer synth to play with. For guitarists who do single or duo work I'm a big proponent of using a guitar synth. There's a couple of guys I know who can do all the keyboard stuff I can do using a Roland synth and their guitar. One is a good friend and when we get together he will do a B3 organ solo just to mock me. In a friendly way of course...I still have the advantage on keys but he does a good job with it and people look at him thinking "how did he do that?". Very impressive to the audience.

If you can't tell, when I do duo work I'm into the one man band wow factor with the less prerecorded backing the better. It's fun and it goes over big.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I gotta go with Rachael on this one:

Quote:

Even though the performers may be great, hearing instruments that are not really there lowers my opinion of the performance.

A performer or duo using backing tracks just doesn’t have the energy you get from a “live” band, but it beats the heck out of a DJ. But since employers aren’t willing to pay enough to support a full band, they kind of force the issue.

For the record, if I started performing again it would most likely be me & my guitar plus backing tracks but it’s hard to escape the “karaoke” comparison.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
So using bass and drum samples is acceptable, but if you add one more sample, it becomes Karaoke? And, it's OK to use samples if you are playing them "live" on a keyboard?

I remember the same sort of purist argument when Dylan plugged in his electric guitar. the Folkies were horrified!

If you are playing a major concert in support of a CD project, I would avoid backing tracks. If you are playing at The Sleeze Bucket bar, I say use whatever it takes to get the job done. The fact is, most punters don't know the difference. They are there to get drunk and...well, the other thing.

Music is "art", and I have to agree with Marshall McLuhan, who once said:

“Art is anything you can get away with.”

Off-Topic
C
Expert
Expert
C
In my opinion, musicians should use backing tracks only if they REALLY need to. It's true that every day it's more difficult to find venues that are willing to pay for a band, and that it's sad; but I've seen entire "orchestras" "playing" their unplugged instruments over backing tracks just because they thought it sounded better (and because it was "easier", of course), and that's still worse. This is, in fact, very sad.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hey ROG,

Tell him to so as I do ... bill himself as "insert his name here" and the Almost Live Band.

Now to answer Rachael’s question . . . yes if I were playing for other musicians as almost by nature we always are trying to find out the details behind the sound. But a big NO when it comes to general audiences as most could care less how many backing tracks you are using as long as they are entertained. As long as you present yourself and your arrangements before hand so everyone knows what to expect.

Most audiences are there for the performance, with this said if you are not on top of your game you can have a full live orchestra behind you and still not sell the performance. And the last thing they care about is whether you have a music degree or not, they just want you to be able to "play and sang".

Later,

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

And Andy Warhol got away with it.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

And Andy Warhol got away with it.

And so did Van Halen, AC/DC, The Eurythmics, and a number of other "artists".

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

And so did Van Halen

You mean you didn't like Eddie "How many notes can I fit into this 32 bars if I turn my amp up to 27 and play with my right hand on the neck?" Van Halen? The guy who later changed his name to Eddie "Screw you Mike Anthony and all you meant to this band for decades. My talentless kid who is going to spend his whole life riding the coat tails of my name is going to play bass or I will not tour." Van Halen?

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
People go a restaurant where music is played to be entertained. They love to hear old songs from their youth, and memories of great times, old flames, and experiences of the past. Some prefer to hear a guitarist/vocalist strum and pick out some great version of old tunes. Others like to hear the full sound of the old recording complete with signature licks and riffs. Still others like to hear jazzy non vocal versions of old hits. The point is that there are many different ways to entertain a crowd.

To label entertainers as karaoke because they have more backing tracks than bass and drums, is just wrong in many ways. Fist off it demeans the great drummers and bassist through the decades, as if their contribution to all those great recordings was/is unimportant. Look at our beloved Silvertones here, we all praised him for gigging again after a long hiatus. So are all of you saying he is nothing but a karaoke singer cause he plays the lowly bass, and records/programs/creates the other instruments. Really? I remember quite a few of you offering support to him, and best wishes. Were they sincere?

You are saying as long as you play the keys, guitars, and or sax you are a true artist, and others are karaoke singers. What of the singer that plays a little guitar, since he can't find venues that will pay a full band he should retire to a life of karaoke bars, and leave the real gigs to you elitist horn/keyboard players?

Come on people, don't label fellow musicians, show some support. If you don't personally dig it fine don't go there for entertainment. If it ain't your cup of tea fine, you get to chose what you personally like. I have a friend who plays a couple nights a week in a Jimmy Buffet tribute band, and on other nights he does a couple rest, where he plays similar flavored tunes with full backing tracks. The guy is very good, and sounds great. He is doing what he loves, and people come from far around to hear him play.

Just remember that we are all trying to refine our art form, and some chose to go a different path than yours. Be careful when you speak down about others path, as there are always some that might not dig your path either, but they just chose not to talk down about it.

If I sound grumpy, i apologize for that, but elitist comments have always bummed me out. Also remember where you are at. the land or auto accompaniment.

Last edited by Robh; 03/13/12 05:20 PM.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
I'm not proud so I use all the features BIAB has to offer to enhance my keyboard playing during live performance.

Sometimes, if the piano piece is too hard for me I will add a BIAB piano solo through my sound module and play the melody with one finger on the keyboard. It can sound great and I have had compliments on my playing! I have asked if anyone knew there were two pianos playing and so far no-one has noticed. Also I often showcase BIAB by adding different solos with different instruments.

For me, Karoake is not a swear word.

Tony

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

And so did Van Halen

You mean you didn't like Eddie "How many notes can I fit into this 32 bars if I turn my amp up to 27 and play with my right hand on the neck?" Van Halen? The guy who later changed his name to Eddie "Screw you Mike Anthony and all you meant to this band for decades. My talentless kid who is going to spend his whole life riding the coat tails of my name is going to play bass or I will not tour." Van Halen?

Yup, that's the guy, and your vitriol doesn't detract from his accomplishments one iota.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Stealing Django Reinhart's technique, claiming it was his own, and playing too loud is a list of accomplishments? Anthony was really the musical soul of that group. Note, THAT group. I do not take away from Van Halen's overall musicianship. Exquisite classical pianist. Extremely talented overall musician. But put a shirt on, have enough brains to stop smoking non stop until they remove 1/3 of your tongue, stop using alcohol and drugs to excess, don't cheat on your wife, go ahead and EAT the red M&Ms, and use your God given talent in a matter HE would be proud of.

But that's just me..... Vice free me..... (Equally as wide SMILEY FACE!)

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The original question was “What constitutes a live performance?”

I think I have to say that once you add any backing tracks, it ceases to be a live performance in the truest sense. But it’s still not karaoke by any stretch of the imagination. Especially for those who create their own backing tracks using BIAB or other means vs buying them. It’s an art form incorporating “live” instruments and/ or singing and computer skills to create the finished product.

But it ain’t “live”. JMHO.

P.S. Eddie. I'm not a Van Halen fan either. Too many (useless) notes in too little time.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Stealing Django Reinhart's technique, claiming it was his own, and playing too loud is a list of accomplishments? Anthony was really the musical soul of that group. Note, THAT group. I do not take away from Van Halen's overall musicianship. Exquisite classical pianist. Extremely talented overall musician. But put a shirt on, have enough brains to stop smoking non stop until they remove 1/3 of your tongue, stop using alcohol and drugs to excess, don't cheat on your wife, go ahead and EAT the red M&Ms, and use your God given talent in a matter HE would be proud of.

But that's just me..... Vice free me..... (Equally as wide SMILEY FACE!)

Dude - you've obviously got issues which might be better addressed professionally. I would like to compare your “accomplishments” to that of this drug-crazed, cheating, shirtless chain-smoker, member of the R&R Hall of Fame (the 'Other' Eddie), but I feel that you would come up short somehow.

I must take exception with your interjection of God, though, and your particular interpretation of the proper use of His given talent, your vice-free pure lifestyle notwithstanding. He only had one Son, and you ain't Him.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Okay, off the anti Van Halen rant.... and back to topic.

Karaoke meaning "empty orchestra", I would say that by literal definition that any live performing constitutes "live". How many shows have you seen lately where there wasn't sweetening tracks mixed in from the board, or a keyboard player under the stage? It also is usually for wannabe types to sing over background music when they get drunk enough to be goaded into getting on stage. I don't consider a viable performer using backing tracks to be karaoke.

At the local level, the iPod band member came out of necessity due to club owners being increasingly and incredibly cheap. Makes me sad to think back 20 years and see the difference here where you'd expect music would always be a major presence. The bands that DO play are all either tribute, motown or classic rock. I go to see a classic rock act on rare occasion, mainly to visit with my friends who play in them, but I rarely stay beyond one set. The motown acts typically get the country club/wedding kind of gigs, and that isn't my scene. Plus I was in an amazing motown band in the early 90s and it's rough to hear pretenders play what we did better. Tribute bands - I wouldn't cross the street to pee on a tribute band if they were on fire. Also factor in that there are no more "music clubs" here. Bands play at restaurants now, and setup is at 7:30 for a 9pm start time, ohm and keep it down because people are still eating.

So we have a lot of solo acts with backing tracks. Most of them make their own tracks. Some cheat and buy them. That second group is usually singers who do not play and are not able to make tracks, so they get a free pass. (Remember how many people think using Real Band is cheating.)

Want to know the saddest part of all the truths I described above? (Pay attention 90db.)

"Here"...... is Cleveland Ohio. Home of that Hall of Fame you spoke of.

The scene here is now reduced to rubble in comparison to the 80s and 90s. There is the art house goon clique who play at coffee shops for 3 people who would prefer it was quiet. There is also the songwriting clique who have their songwriting shows. (Those are enjoyable because normally the music has to be original.) However, it's the same handful of people who perform and attend, and if you aren't in the clique, you can't get a slot. The metalheads have some clubs but that music is boring if you don't ride a Harley and wear a headband. (We don't have to wear helmets here.) Neighborhood joints have duo and trio acts because they don't pay enough to draw bigger bands, and they can't fit enough people to sell enough beer to pay 5 or 6 pieces.

I miss the days when money wasn't the way to keep score.....

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Bob (90db), Eddie behave yourselves now, we are all pretty!

If adding any backing tracks makes it not "live" then i guess the singer, and guitarist then considered not live by association?

So making tracks vs buying makes it better? Oh wait, then we have to make up our own chords as well, since the other one have been used up already!

Does that mean by extension we now have to make all our own instruments as well? Better get that ol' rosewood tree chopped up soon!

Darn! can't use a electronic keyboard, cause heaven forbid them devils gots them sampled sounds in them, that ain't no reel pienanner, or geetar in thar!

What is one buys simple basic midi tracks and then takes time to rework them and adds some hand picked samples to play them, adding a RT or two to enhance the palate, ah wait a minute! I forgot Them thar traks is kareokee! I better go listen to some foggy mountain breakdown, and have a revival! (pictures a blind boy playing the banjo in mind) hears "you gotta purdy mouth!"

Just Joshin' ya there flatpicker! Don't go all west vurginnie mountain man on me!

Anyway ROG did ask a real question, and we all answered it from what i see that answer lies in the question, it is up to the people listening to decide what is too much, appropriate, whatever. If the customer wants a full band sound give it to him, if he wants you and the guitar, give him that, if he wants you the guitar, and the Olsen twins on banjo, and mandolin, well you get the picture.

Look folks these here ideers are just opinions, some are worth talking about, many are just downright putting someones craft down.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
You all are a buch of slackers -- no backing tracks allowed! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXMuWi0dUBc

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,475
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195