Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
semar Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Dear all,

in order to insert a chord on BiaB, I have to know which chord (C, Dm, etc) do I want. Fair enough.

Fact is, sometime I get a nice chord on my piano keyboard, but I don't have any clue about what for a chord is it - so, I can't enter it in BiaB.

The question: how can I recognize a chord ? For instance, I *know* that the keys C,E,G forms a C major chord. But how can I figure that out, if I didn't knew ?

In other words, is there any (simple) method I can use, to recognize a chord on a keyboard ?

Why C,E,G is a C Major chord, and not a sort of E or G chord ? Why E,G,C an G,C,E are still a C Major chord, and not something else ?

Regards,
Sergio.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You are going to get far more educated answers than this, but to get you started the chord name depends on which note is considered the root and the intervals between the notes above that. You are correct in that based on that criterion a triad can have more than one name. This is made more, ah, interesting by inversions.

I'm going to stop here. If these concepts are new to you you should invest in a book on basic music theory. I have seen good pocket references for as little as $6 new in music stores.

I mean no disrespect. It is possible that I misunderstood your question completely. If that is the case I'll delete this later.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
semar Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
No problem Ryszard, thanks for your answer.

I'm aware of some chords, like major, minor and some 7th chords, but as I wrote above, I don't really know the process to find it out.

Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Sergio

You might find this link helpful-

http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/piano/

In the long term, you could use some theory lessons. It's a complex subject and there's never going to be enough room to deal with fully on the forum.

ROG.

Off-Topic
semar Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks ROG, yes that link is helpful. However, it does not allow to build the chord on the virtual keyboard, that would do the trick !

Anyway, indeed useful.

Sergio.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Band in a Box has a feature in which you can enter a chord into the chord grid by merely playing it on a MIDI keyboard that is hooked up and on the BB Thru channel.

Quote:

MIDI Chord Recognition

Play any chord on your MIDI keyboard and the program will recognize it instantly and insert it onto the chord sheet. Just press Ctrl+Enter at any time to insert the last chord that you've played on your MIDI keyboard onto the chord sheet, even if you aren't holding the notes down anymore! This allows you to enter an entire song without having to type in any of the chords!

There's also a dedicated window that displays the chord names as you play them, suggesting any alternative chord names for the ones entered.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
What you are asking is answered in music theory books. If you really want to learn about chords and how chords are structured then music theory is the only way.

If not couldn’t you create a new midi file and record the chord(s) you don’t know. You should be able to do this in BiaB, I don’t know for sure as I do not record in BiaB, or any DAW that you are using then save that recording as a midi file. Open BiaB and under file there is an option that states something like ‘get midi chords from file’, I don’t have my music computer on right now and I don’t remember the exact wording of that option, and have BiaB name the chord for you. Let us know how this works out for you.

OOPS - I see that Mac was saying the same thing at the same time.

Last edited by MarioD; 04/12/12 06:01 AM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
... here's another "chord builder link" -- it will give you the potential names of the chord based on what you type in. In order to put into BIAB, you might have to tell it the bass note (like C/G).

http://www.scales-chords.com/chordid.php

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
R
Expert
Expert
R
Find the lead sheet for some songs you know and play around with it. Lead sheets usually have the chords and the melody. At some point (hopefully), your ear will start to recognize a major, minor, etc chord.

There are plenty of sites that have BIAB arrangements of popular songs. This would be very helpful. Also BIAB comes with a bunch of demos but they won't be songs you recognize.

R

Off-Topic
semar Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Whoa, thanks for the top info !

@Mac, that is a fantastic feature - I didn't know that ! Only the part "MIDI keyboard that is hooked up and on the BB Thru channel" scares me a little bit..

@Kemmrich, what an useful link - thanks a bunch !

@all, thanks for the kind replies.

Cheers,
Sergio.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Sergio, as others have stated - this 'recognition' of chords is at the heart of chord theory. Many resources abound. You've been given several helpful links. I'll add a few more:

http://www.scotthouston.com/store/home.php

In watching this gentleman's videos on Public Television here in the US, I think that his methodology is one of the most effective at helping to learn theory without it seeming overwhelming. His course mainly focuses on teaching keyboard for enjoyment purposes. I recognize many methods from my past teachers and self-taught chord theory in his method.

The other link that may become helpful to you after you learn some chord theory basics is this site:

http://chordmaps.com/

This will take you gently through how chords fit together in sequences for western music.

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sergio, just select your keyboard as the MIDI Input Device in BIAB. You will then be on the BIAB Thru Channel.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
semar Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
@rockstar_not - fantastic, thanks

@Matt & @Mac - fine, but how do I invoke that feature ? Ok ok, it's time to figure it out myself I guess

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I learned WAY back before internet and I was taught by "formula".

Major = 0 - 2 - 1 1/2
Minor = 0 - 1 1/2 - 2
Dominant 7th = 0 - 2 - 1 1/2 - 1 1/2
Minor 7th = 0 - 1 1/2 - 2 - 1 1/2
Diminished = 0 - 1 1/2 - 1 1/2 - 1 1/2
Augmented = 0 - 2 - 2 - 2

Where your start note is "0", you count up by half steps.

So G major would be

G (zero note) up 2 steps (or 4 half steps) to B, then up 1 1/2 steps (or 3 half steps) to D.

You music teachers in the room, do you still teach chord structure that way? Lessons ended in like 1965 for me. Fortunately my first teacher at just before 5 years of age was a FANATIC about theory.

And a great story. In 1973, I was just out of the Army and needed clothes. I went to a popular men's store in Cleveland and happened to wander up to the checkout at the same time as an older gentleman walking with a cane. He was in line ahead of me. The clerk asked "Can I have your name sir?" And before he could speak I said "His name is George Schulte, and this blazer he is buying is on me. And is not nearly enough to thank him for everything he taught me about music 15 years ago." And he looked over and finally recognized me. We walked across the street to a little coffee shop and had lunch and caught up on those last 15-ish years. He would be something like 118 now if he were still alive, but what he gave to so many young music students is alive and well.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
semar Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Well, *that* is really a nice great story Eddie, thanks for sharing this !

Oh, and thanks for that "formula" !

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

@Matt & @Mac - fine, but how do I invoke that feature ? Ok ok, it's time to figure it out myself I guess

Opt., MIDI/Audio Drivers Setup. Select your keyboard in the MIDI Input Driver pulldown.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
or if you prefer to see an overview of all chords so you can pick your chord out of a lineup, here's another link that may be useful:

http://pianofast.com/pdf/PianoChordChart.pdf

(I keep a chart very much like this one in a picture frame that hangs on the wall above my keyboard)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

or if you prefer to see an overview of all chords so you can pick your chord out of a lineup, here's another link that may be useful:

http://pianofast.com/pdf/PianoChordChart.pdf

That chart is beautiful. It will be hanging in my studio soon! I work at a place with plotters and I may get it printed BIG on a plotter and build a big frame for it.

NOW, take those chord formulas and look at where the red dots are. Start at "zero" and count the half steps and you see how it works.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
semar Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Quote:

NOW, take those chord formulas and look at where the red dots are. Start at "zero" and count the half steps and you see how it works.

I see.. the light

Many thanks Eddie. I'm going to print out this post thread for further reference.

That pdf is also really useful - thanks Pat !

Happy chord-ing to all !

Sergio.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert

Chris
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,557
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199