Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The Presonus has been tested independently and is known good. Don't know about the speakers. I believe the system has been tested without either the SSD or standard SATA HD. Nobody said anything about the graphics card, so I'll suggest they try that.

The tech IS working on a bunch of other stuff in between communications with me. This is a large shop. I believe he is competent, but I do wonder why they didn't catch this during the build, which they also did.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
What components make up the liquid cooling system? I'm guessing there's a pump somehow, with either brushless or brushed motors - notorious noise generating components. Should be taken care of if reputable, but not a 'normal' compnent in a PC nonetheless.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Probably not. But they tried a new and different model system board, so that could hardly be it, could it? I have, however, sent them a note to that effect.

Look, *both* boards are very likely to have the same outdated BIOS software.

AND, this whole problem has sounded to me like a chipset/software issue from the gitgo.

They should try the BIOS update...

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

Probably not. But they tried a new and different model system board, so that could hardly be it, could it? I have, however, sent them a note to that effect.

Look, *both* boards are very likely to have the same outdated BIOS software.

AND, this whole problem has sounded to me like a chipset/software issue from the gitgo.

They should try the BIOS update...

--Mac

Mac,
I agree 100% but they just aren't listening.I hope this isn't costing Richard a whole boat load of $$$$$$$$$ to a tech who doesn't really know what he's doing in MHO

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The last instruction I left them was to update the BIOS.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

The last instruction I left them was to update the BIOS.

Cool! I bet that does it.
BTW Folks tend to shy away from BIOS updates 'cause if you mess up the update the board is trashed or at least needs to go back to the manufacturer.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The Pro should ALWAYS power the mobo with an Uninterruptible Power Supply before starting a BIOS upgrade.

If the power should get interrupted before the BIOS upgrade is finished, well, that's usually what BRICKS the mobo...

--Mac

Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
This just in from the technician:

Quote:

Good afternoon!

I'm ready to call in a priest for a good exorcism. We've swapped out EVERYTHING inside this box and the issue is still occuring. System board, memory, processor, power supply, Cooling, video card... Everything except for the case.. Which is our next stop to eliminate the case* as the source of the problem.

I've spent about 2 hrs on it so far today, and I've got to work on some others PC's. I've got some parts I've got to install for some other customers.. And if I can't get back to yours today before I leave (at 6 today) I'll come in a hr early tomorrow to dedicate to resolving this. However I SHOULD (key word here) be able to set-up the components outside the box before I leave (if the parts installs go smoothly).

I've also looked into the [Presonus] Audiobox. It's not a soundcard, but mostly a Analog to Digital coverter that accepts professional quality Mic's/Devices. The sound still goes through the systemboard sound chip** for audio processing, so you were short changing yourself with the original SB and it's low-end built in sound card. The new one support 7.1 dolby.

thanks for your patience and have a good afternoon/evening!

*NZXT H2 Silent case
**???

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Oh boy...this is starting to sound weird! His comments about your Prosonus, the audio card and the system on-board audio chip have me scratching my head and saying "huh?"

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah, I've got to agree on the comment on the Prosonus. Yes, it's an A/D converter, and it's also a D/A converter and mixer, but no, it doesn't use the onboard sound chip. Nor is the processing done on that chip. This guy apparently doesn't know what he's doing, at least as far as your sound device goes, and that, to me, isn't something that I would trust.

How is he monitoring this noise? What I'm asking is does he have a pair of monitors plugged into the Main Outs of the Prosonus, or at least into the headphone out? Does the Prosonus have some sort of software monitoring and mixer application, and is that set correctly?

If he's changed out everything that he says he has, I'm pretty sure it's not the case. MIGHT be the power supply, but I'm sure it's not the case. Well, I'll put one exception on that. If the case has USB connections, and he didn't disconnect them, and one of them is bad, it's possible that it's messing up the USB buss, but one of the first things I would have done would have been to disconnect the case USB connectors and run just from the mainboard.

I hope you guys can figure this out.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
This dude normally probably makes boxes for gaming. He is clueless as to building a DAW and what the PreSonus is.

Get your money back ASAP.

Spend it on a Sweetwater creation station and be done with the whole mess.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I may have missed it, but has anybody suggested you take that USB interface to someone else's house and install it on another computer? Or a second computer of your own (but I don't think you have 2 if I recall from past conversations.) just to take your computer out of the equation? Also if it is set up as your system sound card you should be able to play CDs and streaming internet radio through it. Eliminate as much as possible.

The ONLY reason I would doubt the BIOS is the definition of the term itself. Basic Input Output System. His system component (USB port) is not failing. Also given that 17,936 billion computers (I statistic I made up for this post) have outdated BIOS and don't have this issue I would question the BIOS as the issue. Using the USB bus and not the board's data bus leads me to believe that BIOS is not the problem.

Also, to whoever suggested the USB data bus has been overtaxed, unless he is playing with RB, moving the mouse, printing, dumping photos from a camera, etc... he isn't using all the USB devices at once. They don't consume bandwidth just being plugged in, only when there is I/O happening. And just for an example, one of my computers has a webcam, a printer, a USB turntable, a CD storage jukebox, a PID, a iPod Shuttle charger and 2 thumb drives plugged into the USB ports (with a hub obviously) RIGHT NOW and there is no performance degradation at all. And that is on an older Dell without the horsepower Richard has.

I would also doubt it is the pwoer supply because of how the USB draws power. It comes from the PSU connection to the mobo, not from one of the power rails. And again, not all of the USB ports are drawing until used, and this is a new computer with like a large power supply. If the power supply were bad, again given that the power is coming through the mail connector to the motherboard, he would likely be seeing a lot of other problems. With the drives each being on their own 5v power rail, they could be fine and not indicate a PSU issue. Particularly with SATA conenctions....
Step one for me would have been try it on another computer.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
This fellow has not a clue...

Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Please read back through the thread. I have posted progress reports at every step. Everything has been substituted except the case. The Presonus has been tested on another system and found good. I agree that the man doesn't know from sound.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I don't, Mac, or the guy ripping Richard off?

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie,

Considering that Mac’s response wasn’t to you, but to Gary saying this about the Tech guy:

Quote:

This guy apparently doesn't know what he's doing, at least as far as your sound device goes, and that, to me, isn't something that I would trust.

...... , then I think it’s safe to assume Mac was talking about the guy working on Richard’s PC, ...not you.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
There are three things that can go wrong on a pc

Hardware
Software
Operator (in this case the tech)

Well he's changed all the hardware, so now he can start on the software.
And when he's finished with that you have to change the operator.
It looks like you should have done that earlier though.

Chris
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It's being worked on by the Service Department at the Marietta, GA, Micro Center, a regional chain with whom I have been doing business for years. They have done other work for me and done it well. It was on that basis that I brought this machine (which they built, but obviously did not test after assembly) back to them for repair.

I will see them tomorrow about assigning another technician. I have a feeling they will tell me that they have had enough (it has been in the shop for nearly two weeks), in which case will I have a thousand-dollar collection of parts which does not produce sound and which I can't even sell. What do you individually and collectively recommend as a next step?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Richard,

It sucks that you’re having all these problems. I think it has to somehow lie in the people who built it for you.

Mine has been rock solid, but of course it was built by iBUYPOWER. After the build, it went through a 2 day run in and testing before shipping.

I know most of our components are the same, but here’s my spec sheet. Please state what is different on yours.

Quote:

iBUYPOWER HS11

Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor (4x 3.30GHz/6MB L3 Cache)

Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155] - ARC Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)

8 GB [4 GB X 2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair XMS3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 - 2GB - Single Video Card - Zotac

Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 Motherboard

Thermaltake 850 Watt W0319RU Power Supply

1 TB Hard Drive -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

Optical Drive (24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black)

3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit

NZXT Tempest 410 Gaming Case - Black

iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ([6-Port] NZXT Internal USB Expansion System + Bluetooth & Wireless N Modules)

3 Year Standard Warranty Service

It’s possible that it’s hardware or software related, but I suspect incompetence on the part of the builders.

Did you buy the parts from them?

I've never heard of a problem like you're having. That's the reason I've stayed out of the discussion.

Last edited by bobcflatpicker; 05/24/12 12:33 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
One difference that I see right away is that Bob is using Win 7x64 Home Premium and Richard is using Win7x64 Ultimate. I have never liked using network specific software for home or audio work. The Ultimate version has added network security apps that cause slower startups and, in some cases, conflicts with media applications typically used in more intensive media applications. While Ultimate, with its necessary network security, is needed in enterprise business applications, I find it adds complications in media systems. YMMV. Still, that doesn't seem to explain the distortion..or does it?

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,402
Posts732,580
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200