Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#159492 - 05/23/12 04:31 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Distorted sound/no sound/no MIDI throughput from new DAW [Re: Gary Curran]
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
This dude normally probably makes boxes for gaming. He is clueless as to building a DAW and what the PreSonus is.

Get your money back ASAP.

Spend it on a Sweetwater creation station and be done with the whole mess.

#159493 - 05/23/12 04:46 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Distorted sound/no sound/no MIDI throughput from new DAW [Re: rockstar_not]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
I may have missed it, but has anybody suggested you take that USB interface to someone else's house and install it on another computer? Or a second computer of your own (but I don't think you have 2 if I recall from past conversations.) just to take your computer out of the equation? Also if it is set up as your system sound card you should be able to play CDs and streaming internet radio through it. Eliminate as much as possible.

The ONLY reason I would doubt the BIOS is the definition of the term itself. Basic Input Output System. His system component (USB port) is not failing. Also given that 17,936 billion computers (I statistic I made up for this post) have outdated BIOS and don't have this issue I would question the BIOS as the issue. Using the USB bus and not the board's data bus leads me to believe that BIOS is not the problem.

Also, to whoever suggested the USB data bus has been overtaxed, unless he is playing with RB, moving the mouse, printing, dumping photos from a camera, etc... he isn't using all the USB devices at once. They don't consume bandwidth just being plugged in, only when there is I/O happening. And just for an example, one of my computers has a webcam, a printer, a USB turntable, a CD storage jukebox, a PID, a iPod Shuttle charger and 2 thumb drives plugged into the USB ports (with a hub obviously) RIGHT NOW and there is no performance degradation at all. And that is on an older Dell without the horsepower Richard has.

I would also doubt it is the pwoer supply because of how the USB draws power. It comes from the PSU connection to the mobo, not from one of the power rails. And again, not all of the USB ports are drawing until used, and this is a new computer with like a large power supply. If the power supply were bad, again given that the power is coming through the mail connector to the motherboard, he would likely be seeing a lot of other problems. With the drives each being on their own 5v power rail, they could be fine and not indicate a PSU issue. Particularly with SATA conenctions....
Step one for me would have been try it on another computer.

#159494 - 05/23/12 05:14 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Distorted sound/no sound/no MIDI throughput from new DAW [Re: Gary Curran]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
This fellow has not a clue...

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#159495 - 05/23/12 05:23 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Distorted sound/no sound/no MIDI throughput from new DAW [Re: Mac]
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Please read back through the thread. I have posted progress reports at every step. Everything has been substituted except the case. The Presonus has been tested on another system and found good. I agree that the man doesn't know from sound.

#159496 - 05/23/12 06:07 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Distorted sound/no sound/no MIDI throughput from new DAW [Re: Ryszard]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

I don't, Mac, or the guy ripping Richard off?

#159497 - 05/23/12 06:33 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Distorted sound/no sound/no MIDI throughput from new DAW [Re: eddie1261]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

Loc: WV, USA
Eddie,

Considering that Mac’s response wasn’t to you, but to Gary saying this about the Tech guy:

Quote:

This guy apparently doesn't know what he's doing, at least as far as your sound device goes, and that, to me, isn't something that I would trust.

...... , then I think it’s safe to assume Mac was talking about the guy working on Richard’s PC, ...not you.

#159498 - 05/24/12 01:16 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Distorted sound/no sound/no MIDI throughput from new DAW [Re: Ryszard]
sinbad Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Germany
There are three things that can go wrong on a pc

Hardware
Software
Operator (in this case the tech)

Well he's changed all the hardware, so now he can start on the software.
And when he's finished with that you have to change the operator.
It looks like you should have done that earlier though.

#159499 - 05/24/12 02:35 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Distorted sound/no sound/no MIDI throughput from new DAW [Re: sinbad]
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

It's being worked on by the Service Department at the Marietta, GA, Micro Center, a regional chain with whom I have been doing business for years. They have done other work for me and done it well. It was on that basis that I brought this machine (which they built, but obviously did not test after assembly) back to them for repair.

I will see them tomorrow about assigning another technician. I have a feeling they will tell me that they have had enough (it has been in the shop for nearly two weeks), in which case will I have a thousand-dollar collection of parts which does not produce sound and which I can't even sell. What do you individually and collectively recommend as a next step?

#159500 - 05/24/12 03:19 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Distorted sound/no sound/no MIDI throughput from new DAW [Re: Ryszard]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

Loc: WV, USA
Richard,

It sucks that you’re having all these problems. I think it has to somehow lie in the people who built it for you.

Mine has been rock solid, but of course it was built by iBUYPOWER. After the build, it went through a 2 day run in and testing before shipping.

I know most of our components are the same, but here’s my spec sheet. Please state what is different on yours.

Quote:

iBUYPOWER HS11

Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor (4x 3.30GHz/6MB L3 Cache)

Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155] - ARC Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)

8 GB [4 GB X 2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair XMS3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 - 2GB - Single Video Card - Zotac

Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 Motherboard

Thermaltake 850 Watt W0319RU Power Supply

1 TB Hard Drive -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

Optical Drive (24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black)

3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit

NZXT Tempest 410 Gaming Case - Black

iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ([6-Port] NZXT Internal USB Expansion System + Bluetooth & Wireless N Modules)

3 Year Standard Warranty Service

It’s possible that it’s hardware or software related, but I suspect incompetence on the part of the builders.

Did you buy the parts from them?

I've never heard of a problem like you're having. That's the reason I've stayed out of the discussion.

Edited by bobcflatpicker (05/24/12 03:33 AM)

#159501 - 05/24/12 07:42 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Distorted sound/no sound/no MIDI throughput from new DAW [Re: bobcflatpicker]
MountainSide Offline
Expert

Loc: Florida
One difference that I see right away is that Bob is using Win 7x64 Home Premium and Richard is using Win7x64 Ultimate. I have never liked using network specific software for home or audio work. The Ultimate version has added network security apps that cause slower startups and, in some cases, conflicts with media applications typically used in more intensive media applications. While Ultimate, with its necessary network security, is needed in enterprise business applications, I find it adds complications in media systems. YMMV. Still, that doesn't seem to explain the distortion..or does it?
Win10x64, Intel i7 7700k, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB 2017v467, RB 2017v7, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express XT, Yamaha DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive Touch, Kontakt 5.7 SampleTank 3.7

#159502 - 05/24/12 08:23 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Distorted sound/no sound/no MIDI throughput from new DAW [Re: MountainSide]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Ryz should take the box home and install the BIOS upgrade himself. Had he done that in the first place, this whole nightmare would not be happening.

Can't guarantee it is a BIOS upgrade problem, but the signs have been pointing there from the beginning of this thread. DEFINITELY the next thing to try -- and quite often ends up being the last thing tried, as it is known to work.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#159503 - 05/24/12 08:50 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Distorted sound/no sound/no MIDI throughput from new DAW [Re: Mac]
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
I would make them buy the whole thing back. Shop for a properly spec'ed super machine from one of these sources:

1. Sweetwater music: http://www.sweetwater.com/creation_station/
2. ADK: http://www.adkproaudio.com/
3. Rain computing: http://raincomputers.com/products/

There are other companies as well to consider, but these folks have already worked out these type of issues from the get-go. These are boxes spec'ed just for high-demand audio work (for which Richard isn't even doing - he's not doing 50+ tracks of I/O - but the kids at the Micro Center don't have a clue which was made crystal clear when they piped back what the PreSonus was).

No, the computer you buy from one of the above will not seem to be spec'ed as highly in some performance areas as the spec-it-yourself method, but you will not have to deal with the issues that Richard is dealing with now. These are ground-up spec machines for audio work. Gamers need not apply - go buy your alienware and clone boxes with neon lights inside from someplace else.

Richard - unless you have lots of personal content to move back off the machine, demand your money back - that would be my advice.

It really blows that you are dealing with this after the excitement you posted about finally getting a new box.

For my next music box, I'm buying from one of the above 3 or I'm joining the dark side and going Mac. I've had to fart around with Windows 7 driver issues on my new lappy, and was able to get it to be functional and fun with my recent Tascam US800 purchase, but I don't get enough time to do this hobby any longer to waste another second trying to sort things out myself. This Samsung lappy I bought about 9 months ago now decides now and then it just doesn't like to work for anything - even simple office function. I've exorcised it 6 ways to breakfast with all manner of anti-malware and anti-virus, etc. At least with an Apple, the boxes are designed ground-up for I/O, musicians in mind - and I've got a 'Genius Bar' less than 5 miles from the house. Cost will be about the same - properly spec'ed and supported PC from one of the above 3 or a Mac with similar performance features. Choices are more limited, but I'm getting crotchety about choice lately, give me fewer choices, just those that work and thank you I'll be recording and editing.

#159504 - 05/24/12 09:32 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Distorted sound/no sound/no MIDI throughput from new DAW [Re: rockstar_not]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Isn't it just so funny in a sad way that so many people never have ONE problem and others have them non stop? I run my RB on a home built computer with an Asus motherboard and an Intel whatever dual core with 4gb or RAM and the only issues I have were the ones I caused myself by trying to push RB beyond what it could do. And in the end, PG fixed THAT problem. My system runs like a knife through butter. And here is Richard with a brand new computer having major problems.... just no logic to it.

I still don't think it is BIOS related but we'll see. Because it is the USB bus you are dealing with, I doubt it is BIOS related. My BIOS may be 3 revs old, as are half of them in the country, and there is not a BIOS issue. If other devices work on his USB, that would steer me away from the USB bus being the issue.

I still want to see the Presonus work on another computer.

#159505 - 05/24/12 09:52 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Distorted sound/no sound/no MIDI throughput from new DAW [Re: eddie1261]
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I still want to see the Presonus work on another computer.

Both audio and MIDI function of the Presonus have been tested by a department manager and worked perfectly in the music store where I bought it. I took my MIDI controller keyboard in separately and tested it, too; it also worked.

#159506 - 05/24/12 09:54 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Distorted sound/no sound/no MIDI throughput from new DAW [Re: MountainSide]
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Quote:

One difference that I see right away is that Bob is using Win 7x64 Home Premium and Richard is using Win7x64 Ultimate. I have never liked using network specific software for home or audio work. The Ultimate version has added network security apps that cause slower startups and, in some cases, conflicts with media applications typically used in more intensive media applications. While Ultimate, with its necessary network security, is needed in enterprise business applications, I find it adds complications in media systems. YMMV. Still, that doesn't seem to explain the distortion..or does it?

I bought my copy of Windows 7 Ultimate from a Microsoft employee who is also a computer musician and uses it on his DAW without issue.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

PG Music News
RealBand® 2018 for Windows Build 3 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 users can update their version with the latest patch, Build 3. Download this patch here

Summary of Changes since 2018 Build 3:

Added: Section Numbers supported. All section letter menus now include numbers 1 through 9 in addition to letters A through Z.
Fixed: Section letters in Notation Window were not being resized if the notation was zoomed in/out
Fixed: RealBand might freeze when generating audio harmonies
Fixed: Loading in a BB song (MGU/SGU) or generating realtracks could freeze up the program.
Fixed: Chords in Notation/LeadSheet on 1st beat of a bar were being drawn too close to bar lines.
Fixed: Support for XP and Vista.

http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_3

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Build 505 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can update their version with the latest patch - Build 505.

This patch can be downloaded here.

Summary of changes for Build 505:

Added: You can now put Section Numbers in your song. Previously you could only use letters A-Z, but now you can use 1-9 as well.
Added:You can now filter styles in the StylePicker for styles that contain Video RealTracks.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box would crash with error "Procedure entry point MFTEnumEx could not be found in the Dynamic Link Library Mfplat.DLL" while starting up if using Windows Vista.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box would crash with error message "dwmapi.dll cannot be found" while starting up if using Windows XP.
Fixed: The Transcribe feature in the Audio Edit window was not always working.
Fixed: The Windows Audio Devices dialog might show garbage text for names of devices if not running Band-in-a-Box in English.
Fixed: There was no Quality selector in the Render to Audio File dialog if rendering MP3 on Windows 7 or earlier.
Fixed: There were visual artifacts in the leadsheet & notation windows when moving the cursor.
Fixed: Using the Transpose or stretching features in the Audio Edit window might cause an access violation if the audio track is mono.
Improved: Band-in-a-Box will start up faster.
Improved: Importing ABC Notation files has been improved.
Updated: Help file and manuals.
Updated: RealTracks Artist bio's.

http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#505

New! Video RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows!

NEW with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows... Video RealTracks Sets!

Video RealTracks allow you to see the RealTracks artist playing that track - you can use them just like any other RealTrack, and you can generate a video which will display the musician playing your song exactly as you hear it. You can also include a chord sheet or notation in the video.
TIP: If you load one of the video RealTracks bands, you will have video RealTracks on 5 tracks, and you can make a video of 1-5 musicians!

We've added Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band to our Free Bonus PAK included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows packages during our December special.
Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band is included in the 2018 49-PAK, along with 40 Bonus UNRELEASED RealTracks, 22 MIDI SuperTracks, 101 Instrumental Studies, and Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé.

SPECIAL OFFER: During our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Holiday Special, purchase our "Video RealTracks Set 3-6 Special Bundle Offer" to complete your purchase with the remaining Video RealTracks Sets for the low price of just $49! http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.videorealtracks.htm

Learn more about the new Video RealTracks and see them in action: Video link - "Video RealTracks Sets 1-6 for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows"

Video - 202 NEW RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows we also released 202 NEW RealTracks (in Sets 278-300)! Listen to all the individual demos here: www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.202newrealtracks.htm, or watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows - 202 New RealTracks Overview Video: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=qDFYZMjrzAI

Get all 202 new RealTracks when you purchase any Band-in-a-Box® 2018 UltraPAK, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade, on sale until December 31st!

NEW! Xtra Styles PAK 4 - Available for both Windows and Mac!

We've just released Xtra Styles PAK 4 with over 150 new RealStyles for Rock-Pop, Jazz, Country, and 'Folk and Beyond' styles! These new RealStyles will work with the RealTracks included in any Band-in-a-Box® version 2017 or higher UltraPAK or Audiophile Edition.

To add to the excitement of this release, we're putting all of our Xtra Styles PAKs on SALE! Until December 31st, purchase any Xtra Styles PAK (1 - 4) for just $29 each! (reg. $49) http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

Listen to all the demos of these new Xtra Styles here, or check out this video: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=Zl_wr47d2V0

Video - The Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows boasts over 50 new features and enhancements... including the Build-in Audio Chord Wizard!

The Audio Chord Wizard has been redesigned with Band-in-a-Box® 2018, and is now built in to the program! Previously, the Audio Chord Wizard was a separate app that was not tightly integrated into Band-in-a-Box®. This app is still available from the [Audio Chord Wizard] toolbar button, but now the improved built-in Audio Chord Wizard can be accessed from the Audio Edit Window!

Watch our latest video to learn more: Video link - Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

RealBand® 2018 for Windows Build 2 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 users can download a small (free) patch update for their purchase!

Summary of patch update:
Access violation if clicking on Guitar Window or Big Piano when there isn't any notation window currently open.

http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_2

Forum Stats
26697 Members
50 Forums
48806 Topics
398844 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Phil Taylor, Poppins, Mannnolo, sebz77, KGU 2

26697 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 364