Off-Topic
Skyoma Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
ouch,

I thought they were so cool.

Back to the drawing board.

Thanks for the reality check and fog dissipation.

Skyoma

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
It kind of sounds like you ate a rhyming dictionary and a Dr Seuss book and puked out the combination of the two. If you are going for some kind of emotional gush you need to be a little less trite and not so syrupie sweet.

Remember, a song is a story set to music. Write lyrics like you talk in normal conversation. I can't imagine when you are talking to your pals you talk that way.

I am not a great lyricist by any means, but comments I get on Soundcloud and such often include "great story telling".

Remember, keep it as close to normal conversation as you can.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Skyoma Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Whoa, Jump back Jack. Who spit in your bean curd?

Puked?!? Major low blow.

I said what I wanted to say to/about this woman (homo sapiens, not feline).

And I love the melody and accompaniment.

When we snuggle by the fire, it is just so warm and comfortable.

When she encounters slick people, she can be manipulated, because she tends to buy what people say at face value.

And she gets very emotional sometimes, soft hearted.

She is very clean, neat, meticulous. There are like 4 worn-out irons out in the garage.

And "daily grind" refers to the long work day, although I can see where some might take the phrase differently.

Regarding the non-Real Guitar, I really only use BIAB as a tool for 'constructing' my songs. I want real instrumentalists, ultimately.

I will consider all y'all have said, and try to tone it down a little.

Skyoma

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Skyoma,

I suspect that your song is perfect for the lady who is the intended audience. Most song writers take great pains to write songs with universal appeal, because that's the way to sell lots of music. You went the other direction with this song, and made it so specific to one person that the average person won't understand all the inside references you make in the song (but the person to whom you wrote the song will, and that's the most important thing. )

Criticism is only valid in the context, and you are the only one of us who fully understands the context of this song.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You want us to tell you that you are the second coming of Bernie Taupin to stroke your ego, we will. You asked for critique, and you got it. If that song came on the radio, I would actively look for a tire store commercial rather than listen to it.

You are writing for the people who will be listening, not for the inspiring party. If that's what you want to say to her, make your demo, put the CD in a nice card and send it with flowers. (Which I have done. A song I wrote JUST for someone went to only her and nobody else has ever heard it. And won't.)

If you are going to swim in creative seas like music composition, you need to accept the turbulant waves as well as the smooth ones. People have been telling me I stink since the 60s!

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
What I think sucks means only that. There is an I in there.

I see nothing enduring in the lyrics.

I actually could have the remains of some meal on my shoes.

Cue the Godfather lyrics...then the machine guns...then the violin playing and those lyrics again. That's as sentimental as I'm getting here.

Other than that Eddie is my kind of guy, but he's holding back again.

Then again I'd like the author of the lyrics to pick up an instrument and play/sing this for 'us'.

I can change my opinion, if I have to.

Keep your mic near your lips.

Now cue the Hockey Song...
Hello out there, were on the air, it's hockey night tonight. Now them's lyrics!
(;

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
Hey Skyoma,

Took a look at your lyrics. Went over to the user show case to hear your song but it was deleted.
Well anyway, not a bad song. I don't think it has general appeal, but then it doesn't have to.
You specifically wrote it for the person you care for and in that context it works just fine.
As someone has already suggested, get a CD made and give it to her.
I bet she'll love it and you just might get a special treat that night. LOL.

I've written many songs specifically for my wife that I'd never post here or anywhere else, not because they're bad songs, but because they wouldn't mean much to anyone but my wife and to me when I get my reward. LOL.

Tim

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sorry, no. Go and stand in the corner with a conical hat on your head for half an hour. Then come back and listen to what I have to say.

Here's something brutally honest because it hurts me to see someone make a complete prat of themselves - I am first and foremost a lyricist and a singer songwriter who starts with the lyrics and then builds the music to suit or occasionally creates something out of thin air that is purely instrumental. I can't help it. Its natural for me. I don't know about you but it is for me. It has taken me years of hard work and research to craft my skill in this area and I have even given lectures on writing lyrics. Ok, my first name is Simon but my last is not Cowell! That stated clearly up front, I hope you will take what I have to say like a man.

I have to agree here with both Bob and Eddie, I'm afraid. The language is too Saxon - all those rhimey whimey winey blimey words. Words ending in that last damned consonant are always far too childish, immature and naive to my mind. Avoid them like the plague unless nothing else will fit. This song is to an adult? Are YOU an adult? Actually, I don't think it is written to a cat, too many clues that make it clear that the subject is at least human or that you think is a human. One positive thing is that it does remind me of a song I haven't heard in a looooong time - 'Oh Claire' by Gilbert O'Sullivan. But that is a very clever song with one hell of a twist at the end! This has no twist, no surprises and no purpose. No story here. I can imagine a child singing it to her cat but, as I have said, it is clearly to a human or something that is thought to be human. Maybe it is a five year old girl's song to her imaginary friend or her doll? I certainly hope you do not intend to try and make money out of this and if it is for one specific lady and you like it, you sing it. I can see absolutely why this singer in LA turned it down flat, with a clever suggestion that it is a children's song, it would do his street cred no good whatsoever for anybody to ever hear him sing that.

A song is not just a few simple words that rhyme (at least 99% of the time it is not). You also need to consider rhythm. I feel no rhythm here. How long did it take you to write? Did you just write it as you were starting this thread, with no prior thought at all? No. Obviously not because you state that you tried to get some LA session vocalist to consider it. That is the only way I believe (I certainly don't know) that you didn't just make it up on the spot and hit the <Submit> button.

Who cares if you don't have a good voice? Tons of 'singers' in the charts who can't sing for toffee (Tom Waits, Lou Reed, Nick Cave, Lee Marvin, Rex Harrison - the list goes on and that is just the pop market, I haven't even started on the blues singers) but your voice singing your song specifically for and to this lady (I have to assume it is a lady because I can't imagine any man liking to hear all that nonsense and most women I know would only humour me if I were to write with that kind of language - its archaic) would have far more impact. In fact, it might actually help the song a bit. Frankly, it is cringe-making enough as it is. Add a poor voice and you might at least encourage a bit of sympathy.

There is excellent advice in this thread. I particularly endorse the suggestion that you look at the works of the famous bards and poets - Shakespeare, Keats, Shelley, Milton et al. Then take a look at songs by prolific songwriters, Willie Nelson and Bob Dylan in particular (actually neither of them are very good singers either but their styles of music are perfect for their voices).

As to tools to help, I strongly recommend you get yourself a copy of MasterWriter (see www.masterwriter.com), the most useful tool for songwriters since the invention of the computer. I swear by it and it never lets me down. Read a few good books on songwriting, starting with the Dummies guide and moving on to a couple of others of your own choice. There are hundreds of them out there. Then, and only then, start with a fresh new page, take the key facts that are the most essential out of what you have already written and bung them in. Create a synopsis for yourself. Then build a story out of it. Decide what you want to say. Remember the 7 good men and true. Who are they? Why, What, Where and When, How and Which and Who. That's who.

That said, there are some nonsense songs out there with gibberish lyrics. Even the Beatles had some rediculous songs that were probably originally just made up on the spot to fill a temporary gap but then went on to become hits in their own right (Octopus's Garden, Penny Lane, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, etc).

If you cannot divorce the lyrics from the music, your inner voice is telling you the song can't stand alone. Bad. Trust yourself. You know that. A good melody can help a song to shine but a song must be able to stand on its own without any music at all for it to be any good. It is no accident that Dylan is considered a Beat poet. There are even whole bachelor's degree courses at university purely on the works of Dylan.

I did say I would be brutally honest. I do hope you take it in the spirit with which it was meant and not be offended. Good luck. It is a long and winding road but it is worth it in the end and the fact that you want to do it and are determined to do it is actually all the talent you need. I think you already have that. Get on with it and report back SOON!

You are always welcome to send me a PM and I will take a look at what you have written and give you constructive feedback, should you choose to accept the challenge.

Above all, have fun!

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The main thing you need to take from this is DON'T QUIT!!! Keep trying. Keep writing. Think of different ways to express teh same thought.

Think about this Temptations song.

You've got a smile bright you knwo it could have been a candle
I'm holding you so tight you know you could have been a handle
The way you swept me off my feet you knwo could have been a broom
The way you smell so sweet you know you could have been some perfume

All rhyming, all borderline silly....

BUT

The hook brings it home.

The way you do the things you do.

That lyric is pretty much saying "You are the best ever and you don't have to do anything but be you and do what to do to BE the best ever."

Refer back to the better lyric writers. Smokey Robinson is a good place to start. He wrote half of the Motown era hits. Also visit Lennon and McCartney. Neil Sedaka, Carole King...

The old masters are known as masters for a reason.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
One last thing, whether you like RealTracks or not, don't knock BIAB as an essential tool in your armoury as a songwriter. You will get people's backs up here. We have all spent a lot of time contributing to the development of this tool. As it says on the box, 'software for musicians built by musicians at prices musicians can afford'. There is a lot of mileage in that.

Unless you have more money than sense, which would appear to be the case because you insist on session vocalists, session musicians and a full 'professional' recording studio to record one single song for one person, BIAB and RealTracks can do all of that for you and more. Even if you do insist on throwing your money around, you could at least use it to save yourself a lot of unnecessary monetary waste by getting the song ready before you start throwing your money around. Then, and only then, take the finished work to a studio and get them to perform it for you. You will be able to give them:

the finished lyrics
the chord structure fully worked out
a demo of the finished song in completion
a demo of each instrument track soloed out
notation for each track
and maybe even a photograph of the lady for whom you want it performed

The last is not actually a joke. It often helps musicians to perform when they can visualise the intended recipient.

Once again, good luck

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I would really like to hear some of your music, Sam. Where can I go to hear it?

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Nothing commercially available, Bob. I do have some instrumental stuff floating about on the net but that is not relevant here

Here's my soundcloud link: http://soundcloud.com/samhacker

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Nothing commercially available, Bob. I do have some instrumental stuff floating about on the net but that is not relevant here

I just like to consider the source whenever I see someone giving such acerbic advice. I guess I'll just have to take your word for your musical prowess.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My songs are copyright. That is why I don't post them publicly.

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

So are mine, and everyone else's on the User Showcase. The whole purpose of copyright is to exhibit your work publicly, to offer it for sale/use.

I think you have satisfied my curiosity, though.

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
Yeah mine as well.

Tim

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Here's my soundcloud link: http://soundcloud.com/samhacker

Sam,

I see that you have edited your post to include a link to your music. Thanks. Now, in future, I can accurately gauge your critiques.

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

That is uber confusing. If they ARE copyrighted, they are safe....

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
Quote:

I have tried getting the bar to pay me because it attracts custom - they won't
I have tried 'sing your song for €1' - the people won't pay it

I have even had people arrogantly turn to me and tell me that I should pay them to sing, not the other way round!

Sam, that was part of one of your posts from your karaoke thread. Now I am not in Austria (but know someone who just played there) BUT, I know from experience that bars still pay for a live band (or solo artist) & I suppose it all comes down to how good you are. I am totally with 90db in wanting to know the credentials of someone who professes to be good enough to give lectures on the subject.

You had a website in the past & I have listened to some of your songwriting & recently someone on the forums found a video on youtube of you performing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm6N6TrnpwU

Quote:

I hope you will take what I have to say like a man.

For me it is not good enough to be giving advice on songwriting (nor performing)

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Generally I like to think of this forum as a place where people like to build others up and support them, not tear them down. I can be as "critical" as anyone here, but bringing "personal attacks" into it shouldn't be part of it. Now, I do realize I slammed bobcfp a little bit above (and I shouldn't have), but it seemed his comments were not really meant to help -- but who am I to judge other folk's motives on an internet forum.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,577
Posts734,598
Members38,497
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications, MAJORKEY
38,496 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193