Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Bob_B Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi all,

Q1: I made some modifications to an existing BIAB file of "Girl from Ipanema", which had as its melody instrument the jazz guitar voice. I changed this to a tenor sax, but each time I replay the song, the guitar reappears. This has happened before with other BIAB files, and I've just left it be, but I'd like to know how to make my change permanent.

Q2: As a default, BIAB substitutes what it considers the correct chord names based on the key of the chart. For example, I might type in G#m7 and BIAB substitutes Abm7. This makes sense, but there are times when I'd prefer to keep the chord name as I wrote it. Same thing with notes: BIAB makes changes based on the bar's chord. I've looked under the Opt menu for how to change this, but failed to find the switch to tell BIAB to retain the chord or note as I typed it. Where is the control option over this function?

Thanks for the help,

Bob aka jazzwombat (who wishes that this forum screen supported tab keys....sheesh)

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Hi all,

Q1: I made some modifications to an existing BIAB file of "Girl from Ipanema", which had as its melody instrument the jazz guitar voice. I changed this to a tenor sax, but each time I replay the song, the guitar reappears. This has happened before with other BIAB files, and I've just left it be, but I'd like to know how to make my change permanent.

You apparently have a Patch Change in your Event List for the melody track. this is an embedded cc in the midi file which will change the instrument at that point in time.

Go into the event editor (Notation-Event List Editor] and remove the embedded cc which swithes the instrument.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi Bob,

When I have used the Virtual Sound Canvas DXi this is how I have been able to make changes permanent.

I open the DXi and click "set up" down the bottom at the right. Then I click "receive events" and uncheck the PC/Bank boxes.
I can then choose what instruments I want to use and they don't get over written.

Hope that helps with question 1.

Others might be able to help with the chords.

I thought there was an enharmonic function somewhere but it alludes me. I thought it was under "preferences",where you click the notation tab and then the "use chord scale for enharmonics" tab. It didn't change the chord name though, so I'm not much help with question 2.

yjoh

[i]Music...a joy for life.
Veteran
Veteran
Bob, do you have the correct key sig set in the key window? If not do it.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Bob_B Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Quote:

You apparently have a Patch Change in your Event List for the melody track. this is an embedded cc in the midi file which will change the instrument at that point in time.

Go into the event editor (Notation-Event List Editor] and remove the embedded cc which swithes the instrument.

Thanks. I'll take a look and see what I can do. I've not used the Event List Editor, so this will be a good education for me no matter. - Bob

Bob_B Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Quote:

Bob, do you have the correct key sig set in the key window? If not do it.

Bob

Yes, the key is correct. - Bob

Bob_B Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Quote:

Well, I looked, but don't see any suggestion of an embedded command that switches the instrument (to a guitar, in this particular case). All the events appear to be "note" events, nothing else. I saved the file using the "save song with patches", choose "tenor sax" for the melody instrument and clicked the "frozen" button. This seems to have worked. - Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Send us the file. If it is switching, it is there.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Don't overlook the fact that there are quite a few Style files that load particular specified instruments/Patches automatically with the Style.

This can be overcome by Editing a Style, removing said Instrument and
saving the file under a New Name so as not to overwrite and thus lose the original.

--Mac

Bob_B Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Okay, but what is the best way to send a file? The forum appears to lack attachment options. Unlike your example, my BIAB file does not show any bank select or patch changes, just the pink note changes and yellow 'rest' commands.

Bob_B Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Quote:

Don't overlook the fact that there are quite a few Style files that load particular specified instruments/Patches automatically with the Style.

This can be overcome by Editing a Style, removing said Instrument and
saving the file under a New Name so as not to overwrite and thus lose the original.

--Mac

Sheesh, Mac, that might be it. I had forgotten completely about that possibility, and I'll check to see if that is the cause later tonight. I'll post what I find. Thanks. - Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Do you have the 'show all events' button enabled like in picture above?

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Okay, but what is the best way to send a file? The forum appears to lack attachment options. Unlike your example

You first have to upload to a web site and then provide the link. I suppose there are free services for this. don't know cause I maintain my own site for this purpose. If you care to you can email to me I can post it here for you. .... You get the idea.

Last edited by jazzmandan; 05/27/12 05:54 PM.
Bob_B Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
So....

Last night spent 2-3 hours changing things in BIAB in an attempt to correct loading a melody instrument over the one I chose. I solved the problem in that my chosen melody instrument is now retained by going into the "global song override" menu that you get to from the "Song settings" menu (Ctrl-N) and unclicking "Allow loading of any these settings" (sic). If that is checked, the guitar is loaded irrespective of what I select for a melody instrument.

I have sent jazzmandan the file for uploading.

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

So.... I have sent jazzmandan the file for uploading.

Here you go:
The Girl From Ipanema

Ok, have to admit I am stumped here. We want to change melody patch to anything other than jazz guitar, but when you hit play it just returns to jazz guitar. I'll have to sleep on it and hope when I awake someone has a simple answer.

Apprentice
Apprentice
I've just loaded the file into BIAB.

Bob, what DXi are you using for play back? I opened the DXi window and chose the Coyote WT as the synth track, then loaded other sounds in Channel 4 (which is BIAB's melody channel).
The sounds stayed when I hit play.

The jazz guitar patch name stayed the same in the main BIAB window at the top left, but the actual patch playing was the one I chose.

I used to use the sound canvas DXi and I'd uncheck the "receive events" PC/Bank under setup as posted previously. The patch I wanted stayed as I wanted when I hit play.

yjoh

Apprentice
Apprentice
Some screen shots to see if it helps at all.

This with the Coyote. The patch name Jazz Guitar doesn't change but the play back patch does. I changed it to clarinet. When I hit play it stays on clarinet.

This is with the VSC. Same here the patch name doesn't change but the sound is that of the VSC, piano in this case.

I can't think of another way. Mac's idea to change the patch then re-save works. i've done that as well.

Good luck!

yjoh

Bob_B Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I channel midi out to a Ketron SD2 without DXi. My midi drivers are the Fast Track Ultra ones (ASIO).

Bob

Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi Bob,

You must have posted as I was doing the screen shots.

I haven't used the Ketron so excuse my ignorance here but I'm guessing it's like other hard synths? If so you would need to set your synth to not receive patch changes. On my D50 I could stop it getting the patch change commands.

If it is a soft synth, there must be a window similar to the screen shots where you can stop the patch changes.

Others here use the Ketron so they might be of more help. Maybe it's a channel selection issue. Otherwise it's got me stumped.

yjoh

Apprentice
Apprentice
OK,

I found out the Ketron is a sound module. A suggestion to throw out to everyone.

Under Preferences > Midi Options, could unchecking the Patch Change boxes help?
Maybe the Style Patch Changes box in particular.

Otherwise you could look at the Fav Patches or Patch Map options in preferences. I do recall quite some time ago now having to do a patch map for my MT32 module.

yjoh

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,608
Posts735,032
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon, Xtian
38,514 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185