Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#160819 05/26/12 05:09 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Anyone have any success with horn loops? If you did or even if you did not please share your experiences and include your source for the loops if you don't mind.

Thanks,

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I must have read this post 20 times wondering "what the heck are horn licks loops?"

Then it finally occurred to me that you're talking about audio snippets of trumpets etc that can be imported to songs to add brass

I think Steve Young mentioned using something like that in this song:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.p...;gonew=1#UNREAD

Based on forum comments, some people here are having good luck using Garritan JABB to play back the horn parts generated by BIAB

regarding loops and libraries, these link lead to commercial sound libraries that contain brass instruments:

http://www.amazon.com/Projectsam-Orchestral-Classic-Sample-Library/dp/B001SJLDS0

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/garritan-jazz-and-big-band-3-sound-library

http://compare.ebay.com/like/22102443177...gsi=y&cbt=y

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/big-fish-audio-first-call-horns-sample-library

free loops:

http://free-loops.com/2686-brass-horn.html

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Loops.

Is Sony still selling ACID?

Painstaking way to assemble a song if the goal is to duplicate an already existing horn part or the likes. Unless someone has gone to the trouble to make a horn loop that targets the song or hook or whatever in question, which would be a "one trick pony" sort of horn loop, something that would not represent a good value to the average consumer of such, you will find yourself locked in to whatever notes and phrases are available in your loop collection.

Loop Collection can be a costly experience.

--Mac

Mac #160822 05/27/12 07:07 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
For me it's easier to step-sequence the horn parts in MIDI, then play them using Garritan/Other synth in Sonar. Like Mac said - loops are $$$$.

Regards,

Bob

90 dB #160823 05/27/12 07:14 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
the harmonist does a great job of taking a little bit of midi and turning it into a brick wall of sound.. then JABB can be applied to the midi.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Again I have to show my ignorance and ask a newbie level question.

When I see the word "loops", my brain says "A prerecorded sequence that can be chained together into a number of measures. Normally I hear them applied to 4 measures of some drum beat that is used as a bed for other stuff to be layered on." If that is an accurate definition, that brings up a question as to how useful they are. Unless that canned "loop" is the measures of notes in the exact phrasing that I want played, how do these have value? If I need a horn part that I am writing, it is highly unlikely that there is a prerecorded loop somewhere with the horn part I need.

So the question is really "What are loops?", if my previous perception of them is incorrect?

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Your perception is correct as to what loops are ... however new releases of BiaB and RB now handle loops with the same engine they use for Realtracks, so they can be pitch shifted, etc, if the correct info is in the file header.
Maybe some people want to tinker with this new feature.

Just realize, as mentioned above, they can be quite limited when compared to realtracks (which have more 'intelligence' built in), and can be just as costly if not more so.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #160826 05/27/12 07:47 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Even at that, my point is more that someone who have had to know when they created the loop what my brain is hearing months or years later to create what I want. See what I am saying?

If I need a line that is

boooomp bomp a bomp bomp bomp booooooomp

someone would have had to know what I needed months or years later in order to create that exact phrase.

I just plug in my EPS16+ and play the "pop horns" sample and play my phrases in. Once they are in waveforms, I can cut and paste it as needed. So in essence, I guess I AM looping. And since every song is different, there's not even a reason to keep a library of phrases.

As someone who grew up on AWB, TOP and EW&F, horns are A-OK with me!!!

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I agree with Eddie. If you listen to the music from these guys, the brass has so much variety that it would preclude the use of pre-programmed loops. Better by far to play it in from the keyboard using some decent samples.

ROG.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Even at that, my point is more that someone who have had to know when they created the loop what my brain is hearing months or years later to create what I want. See what I am saying?

If I need a line that is

boooomp bomp a bomp bomp bomp booooooomp

someone would have had to know what I needed months or years later in order to create that exact phrase.

I just plug in my EPS16+ and play the "pop horns" sample and play my phrases in. Once they are in waveforms, I can cut and paste it as needed. So in essence, I guess I AM looping. And since every song is different, there's not even a reason to keep a library of phrases.

when you get a library of loops, each instrument has hundreds of commonly used phrases which can be snapped together like musical legos. Each phrase can be individually pitch shifted, so a single note of a certain duration could be every note of that same duration

Loops aren't for everybody. People like you who already have a convenient way to get the sound you want may not choose to use them. But, like real tracks, they differ from MIDI in that they are real instruments played by real musicians. As such, all the natural nuance, tone and variability of the real instrument is inherent in the loop

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Loops aren't for everybody. People like you who already have a convenient way to get the sound you want may not choose to use them.

Very astute comment. Not everybody has a sampler with THAT specific really good horn sample and one step further back, not everybody plays keyboards and sax to know how to play what the line should sound like.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks all.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
A few of years ago 'Computer Music' magazine included some great horn loops on their free cover CD and I've used them quite a few times. They sound great as they're real (obviously) and even include the odd performance imperfection here and there. The collection included chords (trumpet, trombone, sax) in all keys as well as individual 'toots' in soft, medium and hard blows. Like all loops you can manipulate keys, if necessary, in your DAW, Sonar in my case.

As they were issued free I'm happy to send a CD copy of them to any of my friends here; just PM me.

John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
Off-Topic
D
D
I have been looking into the idea of loops and people have pointed me to Garritan, but as I just bought BIAB I don't want to spring for something I may not know how to use. My interest is as a trumpet player to create backing MP3's that I can use as a soloist at gigs, but my favourite style is Big Band and the "brass hits" in BIAB sound awful.

That was a long way to say, yes, if you could send me the free loops that you have I would welcome them. I presume you will need my email address - it is DocGrovesTpt@gmail.com

By the way, I live in the USA but I come over and visit my Mum in Warwickshire every year - so like the area quite a lot.
Many thanks, blessings, Michael

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've had success with using loops in the past, and picked up Brass Elements and Phantom Horns a while back. They're grouped "James Brown", "Tower of Power", "Earth, Wind and Fire", "Reggae" and "Rock and Roll." Riffs are labeled along the lines of "R9B160EB" to indicate the tempo (160BPM) key (B Major) and style (Rock). Each is a small phrase that can be linked to other phrases. The assumption is that you'll be editing and transposing them in your DAW.

Most of the riffs in these collections are short little stabs, and there's not a lot of variety available. But for their purpose, they're a lot better than anything that I could come up with.

There are also segments to build solos from. There's not a huge variety to in the collections, but what's there can be used to really "sell" the part.

But... I haven't really had any call for using them... yet.

You might want to check out Greg Adam's Big Band Brass - it's the only "Big Band" set of loops that I've found, and it sound pretty good promising.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I put together a demo using the JB_BRASS_JB style. The drums are RealTracks, and the bass is MIDI. The loops from Zero G's Phantom Horns loops in the style of James Brown. I edited in Reaper and added reverb and some effects:

Brass Loops Demo

There are up to three loop tracks, mostly to stack up chord tones. It's not a great demo, but I think representative of the sound you can get using loops.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
dcuny #221850 11/20/13 11:06 AM
Off-Topic
D
D
Neat stuff - I guess BIAB can sound pretty good if you have the know how (which I lack at present on how to integrate horn loops).

Wonderful sound and thanks for this.

Michael

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
David,

You sir are a BIAB/Midi technician.

Great Job!

later,

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Michael you will be amazed at what can be done with these programs. The thing to understand is they are simply tools. Pretty much everybody has an idea of what a van full of carpenters tools does but unless you're a journeyman carpenter with 20 years experience it doesn't mean you can buy that van full of tools and the next day go out and build yourself a house.

Same thing here with all these digital music programs. The more you learn how to use them the better the end result will be. It doesn't happen by itself. Buying Biab is like buying that van with ONE good tool in it, there's still other very useful and compatible tools you need to get plus put in the time to learn how to use them. Then you can start getting the pro level results you want.

Like everything else in life that you consider valuable you can't pick it up in a day or two. If Biab was so simple that you could learn it in a week, what's the point? Two weeks later you're bored and looking for something else.

Biab is incredibly deep if you're willing to dig. If all you do is pick a style, put in the chords and hit play well, you're taking about 95% of it's capabilities off the table. Style>Chords>Play is just to get you started. You can write your own styles, you can use the harmonizer to create horn sections, you can edit individual parts and then freeze the tracks so you don't lose it later, you can plug in audio loops to mix with other tracks, use different VST plugins and there's so much more I won't even go into here. If you run out of tracks, you can move the whole project into Real Band and continue there. RB adds a whole new and higher level of edit, plugin and mixing functions.

There's four year degrees in audio production and they all include software integration in a studio environment. Biab is in more studios than a lot of them are willing to admit.

Most of us are like you, experienced musicians who want to have some fun in a home studio and maybe use some of it on a gig. Think about how long it took you to get proficient on your horn and that's about how long it will take you to get proficient at digital audio work. This is what makes this such a worthwhile hobby, you're always learning new stuff and as soon as you do the wizards at PG come up with a new version that does all sorts of cool things. Just take it one step at a time, it will come.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Use of Loops still locks you in to whatever lines were played when the loops were made.

Sometimes it can come up with something that works, more or less, but we are not able to actually write or otherwise simply define the notes being played or how they are played.

In other words, "no custom stuff".

Still, the Loops may be preferred simply because they are not MIDI horns.

In my experience, the Live Performer using backing program or backing tracks, may be trying to have too much in the backing when dealing with this issue.

A Strong Performance can easily do more to create the feel, intensity and dramatics of a tune without resorting to trying to mimic every single instrument and part on the original recording track.

Audience won't even notice that there are no horns at all when the Strong Performance aspect is at the fore.

This is why I encourage performers to work up the performance of each song accompanied only by the instrument they play, by itself, until they have a Strong Performance.

At that point, adding a simple Bass and Drum part that fits can go further and get better audience response than a backing track that has the entire Studio Orchestra on it.

Eva could have killed 'em with just her voice and guitar. And often did.

Take away her backing band and you've still got Strong Performance.

--Mac

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,725
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197