Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#16116 03/03/09 04:56 PM
Post your own Tips and Tricks here
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I am very interested in buying BB but know exactly nothing about it anymore. I used to use it along with PowerTracks about 15 years ago and loved the way it would put down my bass and drum tracks. But my system has changed since then (hasn't everyone's?) I now have a Roland JV-1010 synth module which I was using with Cakewalk but have found it too time comsuming - ie... bass and drum tracks. Which brings me back to wanting to re-aquire BB and PowerTracks. I'm very confused over how all of this new stuff works now. If I use BB with RealBand, do I still need to use my Roland synth? If I'm using PowerTracks can I record my voice, harmony and accustic guitar? I probably have a lot more questions about this stuff but I figure I'll start with the basics first. Any help that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Bobby

bobbyt9999@yahoo.ca

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Well, if you get BIAB plus RealBand, you won't really need Powertracks as RealBand is based on the PT engine and will do everything that PT can do with the one exception being that RealBand does not include the TC Helicon harmony engine.

As far as BIAB goes, purchase the largest amount of style files as you can, the thing that limits what you can do inside Band in a Box is not having enough styles.

--Mac

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
BIAB plus RealBand, huh? OK... I'm starting to understand... but still have a couple of questions. Can I record my voice in RealBand? What about my own harmonies? How about my guitar? Will I be able to put in my own midi tracks in RealBand? What about a mixer - does it have one? I'm guessing that with the BIAB and RealBand apps, I won't be needing my Roland synth module - am I right? So sorry for sounding dumb, but at this stage, I am. Things have changed so much since I used BIAB and PT 15 years ago. Thanks for your help!!!

Bobby
bobbyt9999@yahoo.ca

J
Expert
Expert
J
Hi Bobby

Realband is a basic sequencer where you can do all your recording but with realband you can if you want use the real tracks alongside your midi tracks and your voice and guitar or what ever you want to record and you can use Vsti and DXi instruments and your roland modual to play the midi tracks

a lot of people start there songs of in BIAB then port them over to realband to finish them off and mix them so really it would do everything you wanted, although everything has moved on BIAB is still a accompliment program doing what it has always done so it can be very basic or as complicated as any mordern program, with every thing you have a learning curve but BIAB and Realband has a super forum where all your questions will be anwsered

regards Dave Hoskins

I always play the right notes but not always in the right order
Expert
Expert
The answer to all the "Can I do this" questions is basically yes, yes, yes.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Yes, yes, and yes...

What you really need to do is obtain the programs and start getting your feet wet, there is a learning curve, but we are here to help you as you go.

Take advantage of pgmusic's 30-day no questions asked return policy. At worst, it is like getting a full functioning demo for those thirty days. But I think you will keep the programs. They are ridiculously fun.

--Mac

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
OK... after hearing about how good BIAB and RealBand are, I'm on the cusp of buying them. However, am I to understand that if I order the UltraPac it would come on an 80gb external hard drive or discs? I'm thinking that if indeed it comes on the HD, that would be the way to go... however, if I ever have to re-install Windows after getting a virus, (this happened to me last year) wouldn't the discs be a better way to re-install BIAB and RealTracks? Is this stuff really THAT big? Wow... How things have changed in 15 years. Back then BIAB and PowerTracks came on a couple of 1.44 floppys.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I recommend getting the hard drive and not the DVD install disks.

The programs will run right from the hard drive, no need to install.

(However, if you do wish to install to C drive, the files to do so are also on the hard drive.)

--Mac

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
OK... IF I wanted to run it from my C drive... how much room would I need? I have 2 - 75gb drives... one of which I just use for storing stuff... pictures, mp3's etc... If I were to run BIAB from the USB drive... would it be slower than my system drives?

Appreciate all the help!!!

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
All programs and stuff included on the 80gb USB drive take up about a little under half of the drivespace, or about 35-40gb.

I don't find that using the USB drive to load BIAB songs and stuff is that much slower than my C drive here.

I suggest that you try it and find out for yourself.

The 30-day no questions asked return policy is a good thing, like getting a full featured demo.

Just do it.

And Have Fun!

--Mac

C
C
Hi,

I'm considering buying the real band package but I am lead to believe I will need a soundcard for my PC? Forgive me but I'm no computer expert so haven't a clue about this sort of thing I'm afraid. My PC is 'off the shelf' so to speak and nothing fancy so would only have, I assume, a very basic sound card.

I will want to plug in a keyboard, guitar and microphone (not all at the same time !) and I have been warned about latency?

I know nothing about soundcards, what features/specifications should I be looking out for? Any help appreciated and any recommendations form other users what they use etc.

Also with real band - how editable are the styles that are produced? For example, if you selected a style and liked the drum beat and bass line but didn't like the guitar twanning on top -could you either change the levels on the guitar bit so you didn't hear it or delete it all together?

A
A
Hi,
I would appreciate if someone could advise if BIAB can do the following: to apply the chords "on the fly" - while you play with left hand selecting chords specific notes below the split point on MIDI keyboard, and thus do accompaniment automatically in the real time?

Thanks,
Alexander

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Hi,
I would appreciate if someone could advise if BIAB can do the following: to apply the chords "on the fly" - while you play with left hand selecting chords specific notes below the split point on MIDI keyboard, and thus do accompaniment automatically in the real time?

Thanks,
Alexander

No. BIAB is not an autoaccompaniment keyboard program.

--Mac

A
A
Hi Mac,
Thanks a lot for your prompt response.. I see. I thought that maybe some add-on can add such functionality..
Alexander

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I'm thinking of purchasing BIAB as well. I've reviewed some of the videos outlining the features. What sort of documentation/manuals come with BIAB? There are a lot of features and you could get really lost trying to find some of the options available.

Thanks

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
As a new user of Biab since Christmass, and someone with no music theory background, I play guitar strictly by ear I can honetly say that the biggist hurdle for me was getting the input drivers set up properly. The music making is the easy part. Use the forums and the Live Chat to help solve your questions. It is re assuring that any problem you encounter can be most likely solved. I'm sure that everyone who uses Biab encountered the same issues at one time or another. I don't think you will be dissappointed. One thing I'll warn you is that it is addictive. Have fun!! Get the full blowen real tracks

HI , I'm new here and I love BIAB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Quote:

As a new user of Biab since Christmass, and someone with no music theory background, I play guitar strictly by ear I can honetly say that the biggist hurdle for me was getting the input drivers set up properly. The music making is the easy part. Use the forums and the Live Chat to help solve your questions. It is re assuring that any problem you encounter can be most likely solved. I'm sure that everyone who uses Biab encountered the same issues at one time or another. I don't think you will be dissappointed. One thing I'll warn you is that it is addictive. Have fun!! Get the full blowen real tracks

Darren-I fall into the category as you. I was mainly thinking of how to even get started. There are so many bells & whistles, how do you even get started with just the basics? I'm pretty "hands on" when it comes to learning. Let me sit down and I'll eventually figure it out. I would like some basics to help get things off the ground.

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
The learning curve is steep if you want to know how to use everything real band offers, but then again you don't have to learn everything to really enjoy the program.

It has tc helicon in BB whick is a pitch tracker and harmonizer. You can record with realband and save the track as wave file,(Audio/export audio) then load it into bb and pitch track an harmonize your song. Once you completley learn this haronizer you can create perfectly in tune sounding vocals.

It is a necessity to have good sound card. I use the x-fi elite pro by creative which has a breakout box that you can plug in a mike, guitar, and your midi keyboard. I think there about 300 US now.

I bought a tera byte hard drive so I downloaded realband with everything. It is about a 40 gig download.

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi...

I have been using BIAB/RB since early March and love it even more than the last time I opened it up. The manual for BIAB is FANTASTIC... there aren't many products that come with such an indepth manual. The only thing I wish is that they had the same kind of instructions for RB... buy hey... I guess you can't have everything.

Although you can really become perplexed with all the bells and whistles, I have found that the best way to go about learning this stuff is to simply start off with the basics... do a 3 chord song... if it isn't right, do it again. Once you've done that you should be starting to feel more comfortable within the programs. And once THAT happens you tend to want MORE... and so you start looking at something else you can do with the 3 chord song. In my case, once I mastered the very basics, I started discovering and learning more and more stuff... a lot of it without using the manual. But like someone else said in another thread... you have to be careful because it is VERY addictive.

Bobby

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,725
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197