Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#161651 - 06/05/12 06:03 AM [Off-Topic] Digital audio clipping -a few questions?
musiclover Online   happy
Expert

Loc: Ireland
Hello folks,

Thank you very much indeed for all the help and advice you have given me on this forum and on my latest thread on mastering.

I would be grateful if you would give me some pointers on clipping when working with audio.

Can I assume the following is correct?

1 Clipping (above 0db) should not be tolerated in any part of the audio process from start to finished mixdown or master?
This includes clipping in the input audio on all tracks and on all plug-ins on the track and on the master stereo out as well?

2 How do you personally deal with a short burst of clipping on a track? Do you lower the channel fader for the whole duration of the song, or if it’s not too noticeable just lower it for the duration of the clipping part?

3 When dealing with the Ozone mastering plug-in (placed in the master stereo out channel) I find that it may well be showing as clipping in the Ozone plug-in itself, but not as clipping in the Daw master stereo out channel, is this a fairly normal occurrence?

Thanks very much again for all your helpful advice.

Musiclover

#161652 - 06/05/12 08:14 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Digital audio clipping -a few questions? [Re: musiclover]
eddie1261 Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
For me, I just isolate the portion that clips and use a gain change to drop it 1 db at a time until it stops tripping the clip-o-meter. I know that sometimes there is a random measure somewhere that is at a higher level of attenuation than the rest of the track.

#161653 - 06/05/12 08:32 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Digital audio clipping -a few questions? [Re: eddie1261]
Tommyc Offline
Veteran

Your mix should not be more than -6 before mastering, that way you the have headroom to master.

#161654 - 06/05/12 08:41 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Digital audio clipping -a few questions? [Re: Tommyc]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Yes, yes and yes.

To avoid clipping, I record in 24-bit for more headroom.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac Pro]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#161655 - 06/05/12 04:09 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Digital audio clipping -a few questions? [Re: Matt Finley]
musiclover Online   happy
Expert

Loc: Ireland
Thank you very much for replies and advice.

If its ok I would like to seek your advice on another problem though really I should probably start a new thread, but I don't want to have a lot of different threads going as it may affect other posters.

I don't have a studio and just use my main computer as my DAW, I have 2 different pairs of speakers hooked up, one logitech 5.1 (though I do have it switched to 2 speakers) for listening to multimedia from the internet, playing cd's etc.

The other pair are an old goodman set I had that I hooked up to my m-audio usb interface and I use those for DAW work etc.(they are sort of behind the monitor due to lack of space, but that is not my main problem.

The problem is how do I calibrate them correctly for playback? I spent hours mixing and then exporting the mixdown but when I opened it in windows media player which plays it thoguh the logitech it was really really bassy, the goodman speakers have 3 controls volume, bass and treble and I have bass and treble set at approx 1 o' clock. Commerical recordings play fine thoguh the logitech, so I take it its the goodmans that are not setup properly, if indeed that is possible with them.

Do I just adjust the treble and bass more on the goodmans so that a commerical recording sounds sort of similar on both sets of speakers?

Do proper monitor speakers have the above controls volume bass and treble and would I get anything for less than say $200 if I do decide to buy?

Thanks very much again for your patience with me.

ps Just an afterhtought on this, since its even possible to edit the eq in the mixer in the computer itself for the logitech speakers this will probably even make them poor references.

Musiclover

Edited by musiclover (06/05/12 04:27 PM)

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 7 and 10 (32 bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro,Band in a Box 2018 Cubase 5.0 and Cubase elements 7.0.

#161656 - 06/05/12 04:37 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Digital audio clipping -a few questions? [Re: musiclover]
Veteran

Without proper acoustic treatment and a sound level meter, you probably will not be able to 'calibrate your speakers', in the sense you presented it. Mixing involves learning about the sound of your monitors and what the results are of mixing on them, then making the necessary adjustments.

Two quick mixing tricks:

1. Test your tentative mixes on everything you can find, including car speakers, boom boxes, cheap computer speakers, home stereo etc.

2. Try, when mixing, reducing the volume to just barely audible. Does any instrument stand out? That may be a problem (even for vocals). Can you hear every instrument? You should be able to.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac Pro]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#161657 - 06/05/12 05:51 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Digital audio clipping -a few questions? [Re: Matt Finley]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
Quote:

2. Try, when mixing, reducing the volume to just barely audible. Does any instrument stand out? That may be a problem (even for vocals). Can you hear every instrument? You should be able to.

I agree with the first part of this but not the second, Matt. I was just discussing this with someone over the weekend and we went for a drive in my car to test it. You do not hear every instrument at very low volumes. My Benz is a nice quiet car with the Bose sound system but it's still a noisy environment compared to a studio. We spent a good half hour driving around and listening to everything from country to jazz to heavy metal to classic hiphop. When we turned the radio down to where we could barely hear anything what's left is always the lead, either vocals or instrument, and drums. That's it 95% of the time (there's always a few exceptions) and of those two vocals or the lead instrument like your sax are always on top of everything. I've used this as a rough test of the mix for years. Of course this is just rough, it has little to do with panning, EQ, compression, all of that stuff. It's just that when I listen to songs people post here and elsewhere most of the time the lead is buried. The basic mix is way off and my quick down and dirty test will at least put someone on the right track.

My guess is amateurs have no confidence in their singing or playing so they don't mix themselves properly. My feeling is if you're going to do it, then do it warts and all. If you don't then the whole production sounds like amateur hour not just the singing. I'm occasionally guilty of that too btw. I have some live recordings where my piano solo had a few too many clams in it so I buried it a little. One I was able to cover by pasting in a short phrase I did earlier and that little repeat sounded much better than the totally awful chord I played. When I played it back you would never tell I did that, it just sounds like I repeated a lick. Whatever, at least I try to do it right and also improve my playing.

Bob

#161658 - 06/05/12 07:01 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Digital audio clipping -a few questions? [Re: Matt Finley]
Gary Curran Offline
Veteran

Loc: Poulsbo, Wa 98370
Quote:

To avoid clipping, I record in 24-bit for more headroom.

I'm not sure that 24 bit versus 16 bit recording will give you any more 'headroom.' What it WILL give you is more dynamic range. From Rane's Professional Reference Manual

Quote:

headroom A term related to dynamic range, used to express in dB, the level between the typical operating level and the maximum operating level (onset of clipping). For example, a nominal +4 dBu system that clips at +20 dBu has 16 dB of headroom. Because it is a pure ratio, there are no units or reference-level associated with headroom -- just "dB." Therefore (and a point of confusion for many) headroom expressed in dB accurately refers to both voltage and power. Which means our example has 16 dB of voltage headroom, as well as 16 dB of power headroom. It's not obvious, but it's true. (The math is left to the reader.)

If my understanding of this is correct (and I've been wrong before) if you record at -12dBr (referenced to 0dBFS), then you should have 12dB of headroom. If you're using 16 bits, then you have a dynamic range of 96dBr versus 24 bits which gives you 144dBr of dynamic range. However, if you're still recording at -12dBR, you still only have 12dB of headroom, 16 or 24 bit.

If anyone disagrees, please discuss civilly.

Gary

#161659 - 06/05/12 07:12 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Digital audio clipping -a few questions? [Re: Gary Curran]
Gary Curran Offline
Veteran

In response to the tweaking speakers, I don't know if this will work or not, but it's worth trying.

Create a series of individual test tones, between 20Hz and 20kHz. You should be make them all the same level. Position a GOOD microphone at your mixing position, and then record each tone via the microphone to an individual track. Make sure the speakers are set to neutral settings, i.e. no bass or treble gain or cut, and are correctly positioned for mixing.

Use a Real Time Analyzer plug in to play back each tone recording. Ideally, the RTA should indicate what the original test tone was sent out. If they aren't, then you can attempt to adjust the speakers bass and treble, although with only two controls this will be difficult.

Finally, mix the signals into a single file and then play it back. Record another track of all the signals being played back through your now tweaked speakers. You should be able to see a broad spectrum analysis of what your speakers are sending out.

From there, you should be able to use either a 10 band or parametric EQ to get closer to a flat curve. Save that EQ curve and use it in the master section to correct the overall tonal quality of your speakers. It won't be perfect, far from it, but it should bring you closer to a flat curve.

Gary

#161660 - 06/05/12 07:41 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Digital audio clipping -a few questions? [Re: Gary Curran]
Kemmrich Offline
Expert

The main argument for 24 bit is more digital room for the audio, more dynamics, less need for compression while recording and more "headroom". Every article I have read about 24 bit vs. 16 bit recording uses the word "headroom" about every other sentence.

I guess you have to agree of a definition of "headroom". I think the general definition is "how much before clipping" -- 24 bit has more.

#161661 - 06/05/12 07:54 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Digital audio clipping -a few questions? [Re: Kemmrich]
Gary Curran Offline
Veteran

Kevin,
There is 144dB of Dynamic range in a 24 bit recording. There is 96dB of DR in a 16 bit recording.

So, what does this actually mean? With a 16 bit recording, if you could find an absolutely quiet space, you have 96dB of range before running out of range. A piano being played fortissimo is about 95dB, and is considered 'very noisy.' A full symphony orchestra is 110dB! Does that mean that you can't record a full symphony orchestra with a 16 bit recording? No, of course not. What it does mean though is that it's going to be about 15dB above dead silence. A rock band at a live concert is about 130dB, which means that the bottom of your dynamic range is going to be about 35-40dB, not dead silence.

A true 24 bit recording, and you're never going to have a TRUE 24 bit recording, because you run into electron flow noise down in the mid 130's, would allow you to go from dead quiet to well past the pain level. Imagine standing next to a 747 jet taking off, you'll understand 140dB!

This is the true difference between 16 and 24 bit. Headroom is measured from clipping down, dynamic range is measured from dead silence up.

Gary

#161662 - 06/05/12 07:55 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Digital audio clipping -a few questions? [Re: Gary Curran]
Veteran

Hi Gary. These are very complicated topics for a forum such as this, and I'm trying to keep my answers short and perhaps oversimplified for Musiclover, who appears to be someone just getting started in audio.

I agree you're not going to hear everything even in the quietest of cars, and good for you that you have one. I did not mean to mix for a car, but to compare the sound in all the places you can listen, and go back and make small adjustments in the mix. What the OP should be looking for is a glaring mismatch in levels. You can't fix everything, though; bass solos, for example, are going to disappear in a car (mine, anyway) no matter what.

The best most of us can do is to learn how our monitors and our listening environment for mixing are not perfect, and we adapt. Let's all help the OP to get close without burying him in details that he/she will pick up in time. To that end, I will be guided by the level of the question from the OP.

You made a great point that you might as well put it all out there, warts and all, since hiding in the mix doesn't work. There's a funny message circulating now on Facebook to the effect that Jimi Hendrix remarked that people were copying his playing, even his mistakes. Gotta love it.

#161663 - 06/05/12 08:45 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Digital audio clipping -a few questions? [Re: Matt Finley]
Gary Curran Offline
Veteran

Matt,
Understood.

Kevin, something else that I do, and works for me and my style of recording. I record synth tracks only, no vocals and no acoustic instruments. Hence, I can go back and adjust as necessary, and record the track as many times as I want with the same MIDI sameness.

First, I record each of my tracks separately, one at a time. I try to find the peak of the track, and have that peak somewhere between 0 and -3dBFS or -3dBr. That assumes that 0dBr is the same as full scale and clipping. I record each track so that each is in that same range. What this does for me is to give me the fullest dynamic range of the instrument, so when there is quiet, I'm not getting hiss from the lower levels and running into the noise floor. Synths are inherently noisy creatures, it seems.

After recording all the tracks, I adjust the relative volumes of the tracks to what I consider to be pleasing. I have an arranger keyboard, which means play a chord, it generates the backing sequence, you play the melody on top. Since each of the backing tracks are at a different volume, you need to play with your mixer to get that relative volume setting back. So, I go through and I set all the audio tracks to give me what I'm looking for.

If I do it right, my main mix output should be just below 0dBr. There is no headroom. Now, what I'll do is to group all the audio together as a single group, and then lower the peak output to -3 or -6, or even -12dBr. At this point, I have not applied any effects whatsoever.

Once I pull all the channels down by the amount I think I'm going to need, then I start applying the effects I want, EQ, reverb, compression or whatever I'm using. I keep an eye on the main outs to make sure that I'm not exceeding 0dBr and go into clipping. If I do that, I need to remove all the effects and lower all the sliders some more, to give me more headroom for mixing and effects.

In the end, I should get a mix that has very good dynamic range (provided I don't mash it with compression), all the instruments should be clear and distinct, and I should have the peaks at between 0dBr and -3dBr.

As to applying this to a live recording, I've never tried it, I'm not sure how it would work, but I'd be willing to bet Bob Harvey would have some good insight into this.

Gary

#161664 - 06/05/12 09:06 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Digital audio clipping -a few questions? [Re: Gary Curran]
Kemmrich Offline
Expert

Gary: I only record in 16-bit -- but my next set of recordings will try to do so in 24-bit. Of course I only have 16-bit BIAB wma files -- but I am not "recording" those.

Quote:

...have that peak somewhere between 0 and -3dBFS or -3dBr... ... If I do it right, my main mix output should be just below 0dBr. There is no headroom. Now, what I'll do is to group all the audio together as a single group, and then lower the peak output to -3 or -6, or even -12dBr. At this point, I have not applied any effects whatsoever. ...

I do the same thing, but I have been reading (can't remember where) that there is some sonic advantage to recording the instruments so you don't have to group them all and reduce the gain by 6-10 db. Something like reducing the gain increases the noise-signal ratio. I could be wrong, but that seemed to be another one of the arguments for recording in 24-bit.

#161665 - 06/05/12 10:52 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Digital audio clipping -a few questions? [Re: Kemmrich]
Gary Curran Offline
Veteran

Kevin,
Reducing the gain increase the SNR?

Well, I can see how you might think that, and I could also see how you would get there, but I don't think that's true for most cases.

If you reduced all the tracks by 50dB, and then increased the main outs by 50dB to bring the signal up to 0dBFS, then yeah, you're probably decreasing the SNR. But, you aren't. You're decreasing the signal strength enough to allow you the headroom for your effects, which still should bring the individual tracks up to an aggregate output of 0dBFS. If you effects require so much gain that you need to reduce the track level by 50dB, that's going to sound really weird, and probably not good. At least, not for the kind of music I record.

Mac, or some of the other more knowledgeable people may chime in and correct me.

Gary

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Video - 202 NEW RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac we also released 202 NEW RealTracks (in Sets 278-300)!

Listen to all the individual demos here: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.202newrealtracks.htm, or watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - 202 New RealTracks Overview Video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=7ZrfGSqjaOU

Get all 202 new RealTracks when you purchase any Band-in-a-Box® 2018 UltraPAK, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade - on sale until May 31st!

Holiday Hours - Monday, May 21st

We're celebrating Victoria Day on Monday, May 21st. Our hours for the long weekend will be:

Customer Service:
Saturday, May 19: 7:00am - 5:00pm PST
Sunday, May 20: 8:00am - 4:00pm PST
Monday, May 21: 8:00am - 4:00pm PST

Technical Support:
Closed (will re-open Tues, May 22 at 10am PST)

Video - The Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac boasts over 50 new features and enhancements... including the Build-in Audio Chord Wizard!

The Audio Chord Wizard has been redesigned and is now built into Band-in-a-Box®. Previously, the Audio Chord Wizard was a separate app and not tightly integrated into Band-in-a-Box®. This app is still available from the [Audio Chord Wizard] toolbar button, but the improved built-in Audio Chord Wizard can be accessed from the Audio Edit window.

Watch our latest video to learn more: Video link - Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Everything You Need to Know in Under 5 Minutes!

Want to quickly see the new features included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac in action?

Check out this video, Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® ! Everything you need to know in under 5 minutes*: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=XSSQpijRyxk

*The video includes an extra 2 minutes for the 49-PAK! The first 5 minutes show you all of the great new features and content available with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac®, and it's followed by additional video showing off the 2018 49-PAK for Mac.

Xtra Styles PAKs are ON SALE until May 31st!

Xtra Styles PAK 4 was initially released with our Windows version of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, and with the release of our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, we're having a sale!

Xtra Styles PAK 4 has over 150 RealStyles for Rock-Pop, Jazz, Country, and 'Folk and Beyond' styles, which work with the RealTracks included in any Band-in-a-Box® version 2017 or higher UltraPAK/UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition!

We've put all of our Xtra Styles PAKs on SALE until May 31st! Purchase any Xtra Styles PAK (1 - 4) for just $29 each! (reg. $49) http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=mac

Listen to all the demos of these new Xtra Styles here, or check out this video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=Zl_wr47d2V0

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - 45 Requests Fulfilled!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac is here, and there's more than 80 new features! We've answered some user requests with this release, including:

Q. I am learning guitar. The RealTracks are very helpful in that I can hear great guitar players, and most of the tracks have tab and notation as well. But there is much more to guitar, could you include some videos of some of the RealTracks Artists? Because I would learn much more from seeing a guitarist than just hearing them.

A. We have a major new feature called "Video RealTracks." These work and sound like RealTracks, but you get to see a video of the Guitarist (or whatever instrument) playing as well. The amazing thing is that this works with any chord progression you type in. So, if you want to learn to play like the great guitarist Brent Mason, for example, you can type in chords to any progression you are interested in, and then hear and see a video of Brent soloing over your progression. Now you can learn much quicker, as it helps to see how a musician is performing, as well as to hear.

Q. I use the feature to make a video of the chord sheet from a Band-in-a-Box song. I use it to make backing tracks and upload them to YouTube. But these don't include any notation for the melody and lyrics of my songs. My viewers would like to see the melody and lyrics too. Is there a way you can include the melody in the video? I've tried recording this with screen capture programs, but it's time consuming, recording in real time, and the audio quality and sync are not that good.

A. Yes, Band-in-a-Box 2018 can do this now. You can save your song as a video of the notation track. So that includes the notation, guitar tab, and lyrics. And saving the whole video and audio just takes a few seconds, much faster than real time recording. Just load in your song with chords, melody, lyrics, and/or guitar tab, and press Save-As Notation Video. Your song will be up on YouTube in no time!

Q. I am songwriter and uses Band-in-a-Box to make backing tracks for my productions. I'm starting to make videos and upload them to YouTube. Can Band-in-a-Box help with my production videos?

A. Band-in-a-Box 2018 can now make videos with Video RealTracks, of the musicians performing the RealTracks. And they are playing along to your song's chord progression. You can include these videos in your own song performance, which adds a nice visual element.

Q. I use the Audio Harmonies in Band-in-a-Box. But I find the harmonies simplistic, in that they are mainly using chord tones. The Band-in-a-Box MIDI harmonies are more sophisticated, using passing tones. Why can't my Audio Harmonies work like that?

A. We've added support for new types of Audio Harmonies in the Audio Edit Window. These do allow you to choose any Band-in-a-Box MIDI harmony that has passing tones or sophisticated jazz voicings (adding 4 parts to make a 5-part jazz voicing for example). Band-in-a-Box automatically figures out the MIDI version of your melody so it uses this to create the harmonies.

Q. The new toolbar is nice, but needs more color options. Too much grey! How about skins?

A. We've added support for skins, and you can choose color or grey scale options for toolbar, mixer etc.

And more!!!

All of the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac can be reviewed at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.new.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac is Here - Up to 40% off Upgrades!

Just released: Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac with over 50 new features, 202 New RealTracks, 40 NEW Video RealTracks, 32 new MIDI SuperTracks, 108 new Instrumental Studies, 8 new Artist Performances, 52 new loops, and 40 AmpliTube presets with 37 associated styles!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac Upgrade purchases until May 31, 2018 - save up to 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac Upgrade!

This year we are celebrating 30 YEARS of Band-in-a-Box®! We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.bonuspaks_2018.htm

If you check out http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.packages.htm, you'll see the new 2018 package options available. To summarize:

Band-in-a-Box® Pro $129
Upgrade from Version 2017: $59 (reg: $69)
Upgrade from Version 2016 or earlier or crossgrade: $69 (reg: $79)
Special 2018 Program Update from 2017: $49 **Requires Version 2017. Includes version 2018 program updates only. (No other Add-ons or Bonus PAK)

Band-in-a-Box® MegaPAK $269
Upgrade from Version 2017: $89 (reg: $149)
Upgrade from Version 2016: $99 (reg: $159)

Band-in-a-Box® PlusPAK
Upgrade from Version 2017: $99 (reg: $129)
(The PlusPAK is designed to upgrade 2017 UltraPlusPAK & EverythingPAK users who are downloading their upgrade or do not want to purchase a new hard drive)

NEW! Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK Formerly the UltraPlusPAK $469
Upgrade from Version 2017: $149 (reg: $279)
Upgrade from Version 2016 or earlier or crossgrade: $169 (reg: $299)

Band-in-a-Box® Audiophile Edition $669
Upgrade from Version 2017 Audiophile: $199 - limited time offer!
Upgrade from 2017: $479
Upgrade from Version 2016 or earlier or crossgrade: $499
Upgrade from any previous Audiophile: $299

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.new.htm

Forum Stats
27504 Members
50 Forums
51773 Topics
427747 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
l0nnie450, Jdashiell, Maish007, BigPoppa425, Carlo74

27503 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 421
zedd 190