Page 1 of 2 1 2
#162163 06/10/12 07:37 PM
User Showcase
rsdean Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey All,

Here's a new one from Josie and I. All BIAB/RT's and mixed in Garageband. Thanks for listening and we hope you enjoy it!

These Stone Walls

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Josie and Bob,

AABA form is such a great song form. It's one that I always love listening to. In my opinion, this form great for capturing a single moment in time. Given the "protest era" vibe of these lyrics and that AABA was the predominant song form used at that point in time, you've managed to capture the sound and musical feel of a generation really well.

I also found myself greatly admiring the elegant simplicity of the lyrics. I like the development of the pictures you paint.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
You captured a big sound here. Good alt-country. I like it.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
User Showcase
rsdean Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey Noel,

Thanks so much for your kind words and detailed review. That means a lot to us.

Bob

User Showcase
rsdean Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
jptjptjpt,

Hi. Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. We're very glad you enjoyed it!

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I love it, as usual! Great example of economy in lyrics, you don't need a lot of words to tell your story. Thank you for sharing!

User Showcase
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
Well to misquote Robert Frost "stone walls make good neighbors." LOL.
Just kidding. Good one guys.
Simple lyrics but very effective.

Tim

User Showcase
rsdean Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey Tommy,

Thanks very much! We appreciate the feedback.

Bob

User Showcase
rsdean Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Tim,

I know that quote well... LOL! Thanks for your kind words.

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
love the haunting overtones.
Great lyrics.

Well written and constructed.
Great mood song.

User Showcase
rsdean Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey Rob,

Thanks. We really appreciate you taking the time to listen and provide your thoughts.

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice work Bob, Josie. I enjoyed that.

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
User Showcase
rsdean Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thank you John!

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Noel, Jpt, Tommy, Tim and Skyline,

Thank you guys for taking the time to listen and comment. I always appreciate your feedback.

This is definately one of our more Americana/Alt songs. Life being so hard for many these days it certainly could be taken as a protest but I was actually thinking more of a stalled frustrating relationship when I contributed to some of the lyrics. It's a sneaky little song that sticks in your head. I guess because we all face some kind of stone wall sooner or later.

Glad you all enjoyed it.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Fabulous throughout.

User Showcase
rsdean Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Don,

Thanks for listening - we appreciate that.

Bob

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
nice song.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Bob and Josie,

I have several comments, not just about this song but about your whole endeavor as a team. If I had to pick one word that describes your collaboration, it would be "STYLISH"

1) I really like the way you have styled your presentation. The web site looks very professional, not unlike what I'd expect to find if I went to the web site of somebody famous. Presenting your songs in that environment is head and shoulders above clicking a link and ending up on a soundcloud MP3 player.

2) I also like the way you have managed to create a recognizeable persona for your songs. There are so many people pushing songs online, and many of them sound like rubber stamps of all the other stuff. In contrast, if I listened to 10 songs by different musical teams, your style is distinctive enough to know which song is yours. That is a good thing. It's more than good, it is highly desirable.

3) You have both invested enough time in the software to actualize your ideas pretty quickly and get a good mix. A lot of people drop the ball in this area. They have good ideas, but can't seem to bring them to fruition. But your musical productivity is very high, and I respect that.

I admire what you are doing on so many levels that I almost hate to offer any observations that might be construed as negative in any way. But in my mind there is a difference between nasty criticism and constructive critique. For what its worth, here are my thoughts. Take them only as an opinion and not as a pronouncement of value.

To my ears there is a mismatch in the symmetry of your voices. Each one alone works great, but together I often hear segments where the stylish quality of the two voices go in different directions. I'll try to explain.

Bob, I love your voice. You've got that laid back Dylan groove going, and it works very well for you.

Josie, I love your voice. You've got sort of a Carly Simon motif that fits you very well.

What I would expect from this collaboration is an informal Sonny and Cher duo... all the right pieces are there. Unfortunately the stylized vocals that work well individually don't always mesh. Bob's style favors emphasis over intonation, and Josie's style favors intonation. Therefore there are times when Bob is relaxed in pitch while Josie is precise, and it ends up sounding like you can't decide how to mate the two vocal styles.

In other words, either Josie needs to follow Bob's relaxed intonation style so the difference in pitch is not noticeable, or Bob needs to rethink the Dylanesque presentation. I suggest actually LOOKING at the two vocal tracks side by side in Melodyne so you can manually adjust the notes to approximately the same tonal deviation. Making them autotune perfect would ruin the wonderful styism that you have going... all that's required here is SYMMETRY not perfect pitch

Sonny and Cher worked because they were both relaxed, and the pitch of the two voices stayed very close, even though neither was spot-on. I am not recommending that you depart from your highly stylized vocals, because I think that is a key strength of your collaboration. My only recommendation is that you specifically work on MATCHING the styles, if that makes any sense.

In conclusion, I think you both have a great thing going here. If you don't change a thing, you'll still have a home run. But IMO, specifically focusing on vocal symmetry will add something useful to your presentation.

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Pat - I want to thank you for saying what I wanted to say but was afraid (as the new guy in the showcase forum) that it would not be taken well.

You said exactly what I thought when I listened to this song (and the other songs I've listened to from this duo - I think I've listened to 3 of their songs so far).

I like Bob and Josie both - they're good folks, but their vocals need to be tighter and work more together than they currently do. I love the style, but tighten up the timing and pitch between the 2 sounds and your music will excel.

User Showcase
rsdean Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Pat / Beagle,

Thanks for listening and for the feedback. Josie and I appreciate you taking the time to comment. It's all helpful and is also interesting to hear the different points of view.

Bob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,456
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195