You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#162163 - 06/10/12 10:37 PM [User Showcase] These Stone Walls
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Hey All,

Here's a new one from Josie and I. All BIAB/RT's and mixed in Garageband. Thanks for listening and we hope you enjoy it!

These Stone Walls

Bob

#162164 - 06/10/12 11:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: rsdean]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Josie and Bob,

AABA form is such a great song form. It's one that I always love listening to. In my opinion, this form great for capturing a single moment in time. Given the "protest era" vibe of these lyrics and that AABA was the predominant song form used at that point in time, you've managed to capture the sound and musical feel of a generation really well.

I also found myself greatly admiring the elegant simplicity of the lyrics. I like the development of the pictures you paint.

All the best,
Noel

#162165 - 06/11/12 01:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: Noel96]
jptjptjpt Offline
Apprentice

You captured a big sound here. Good alt-country. I like it.

#162166 - 06/11/12 06:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: Noel96]
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Hey Noel,

Thanks so much for your kind words and detailed review. That means a lot to us.

Bob

#162167 - 06/11/12 06:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: jptjptjpt]
rsdean Offline
Veteran

jptjptjpt,

Hi. Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. We're very glad you enjoyed it!

Bob

#162168 - 06/11/12 07:16 AM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: rsdean]
Tommyc Offline
Veteran

I love it, as usual! Great example of economy in lyrics, you don't need a lot of words to tell your story. Thank you for sharing!

#162169 - 06/11/12 11:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: rsdean]
Tim Lawrence Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Long Beach California. United ...
Well to misquote Robert Frost "stone walls make good neighbors." LOL.
Just kidding. Good one guys.
Simple lyrics but very effective.

Tim

#162170 - 06/11/12 05:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: Tommyc]
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Hey Tommy,

Thanks very much! We appreciate the feedback.

Bob

#162171 - 06/11/12 05:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: Tim Lawrence]
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Hi Tim,

I know that quote well... LOL! Thanks for your kind words.

Bob

#162172 - 06/12/12 02:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: rsdean]
Rob4580 Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
love the haunting overtones.
Great lyrics.

Well written and constructed.
Great mood song.

#162173 - 06/12/12 06:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: Rob4580]
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Hey Rob,

Thanks. We really appreciate you taking the time to listen and provide your thoughts.

Bob

#162174 - 06/12/12 07:16 AM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: Rob4580]
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Nice work Bob, Josie. I enjoyed that.
BIAB 2017
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 3

#162175 - 06/12/12 02:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: Skyline]
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Thank you John!

Bob

#162176 - 06/13/12 10:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: rsdean]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Noel, Jpt, Tommy, Tim and Skyline,

Thank you guys for taking the time to listen and comment. I always appreciate your feedback.

This is definately one of our more Americana/Alt songs. Life being so hard for many these days it certainly could be taken as a protest but I was actually thinking more of a stalled frustrating relationship when I contributed to some of the lyrics. It's a sneaky little song that sticks in your head. I guess because we all face some kind of stone wall sooner or later.

Glad you all enjoyed it.
My Videos

#162177 - 06/14/12 04:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: rsdean]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Fabulous throughout.

#162178 - 06/14/12 08:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: Don Gaynor]
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Don,

Thanks for listening - we appreciate that.

Bob

#162179 - 06/15/12 07:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: rsdean]
Beagle Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Fort Worth TX, USA
nice song.

#162180 - 06/15/12 07:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: rsdean]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Bob and Josie,

I have several comments, not just about this song but about your whole endeavor as a team. If I had to pick one word that describes your collaboration, it would be "STYLISH"

1) I really like the way you have styled your presentation. The web site looks very professional, not unlike what I'd expect to find if I went to the web site of somebody famous. Presenting your songs in that environment is head and shoulders above clicking a link and ending up on a soundcloud MP3 player.

2) I also like the way you have managed to create a recognizeable persona for your songs. There are so many people pushing songs online, and many of them sound like rubber stamps of all the other stuff. In contrast, if I listened to 10 songs by different musical teams, your style is distinctive enough to know which song is yours. That is a good thing. It's more than good, it is highly desirable.

3) You have both invested enough time in the software to actualize your ideas pretty quickly and get a good mix. A lot of people drop the ball in this area. They have good ideas, but can't seem to bring them to fruition. But your musical productivity is very high, and I respect that.

I admire what you are doing on so many levels that I almost hate to offer any observations that might be construed as negative in any way. But in my mind there is a difference between nasty criticism and constructive critique. For what its worth, here are my thoughts. Take them only as an opinion and not as a pronouncement of value.

To my ears there is a mismatch in the symmetry of your voices. Each one alone works great, but together I often hear segments where the stylish quality of the two voices go in different directions. I'll try to explain.

Bob, I love your voice. You've got that laid back Dylan groove going, and it works very well for you.

Josie, I love your voice. You've got sort of a Carly Simon motif that fits you very well.

What I would expect from this collaboration is an informal Sonny and Cher duo... all the right pieces are there. Unfortunately the stylized vocals that work well individually don't always mesh. Bob's style favors emphasis over intonation, and Josie's style favors intonation. Therefore there are times when Bob is relaxed in pitch while Josie is precise, and it ends up sounding like you can't decide how to mate the two vocal styles.

In other words, either Josie needs to follow Bob's relaxed intonation style so the difference in pitch is not noticeable, or Bob needs to rethink the Dylanesque presentation. I suggest actually LOOKING at the two vocal tracks side by side in Melodyne so you can manually adjust the notes to approximately the same tonal deviation. Making them autotune perfect would ruin the wonderful styism that you have going... all that's required here is SYMMETRY not perfect pitch

Sonny and Cher worked because they were both relaxed, and the pitch of the two voices stayed very close, even though neither was spot-on. I am not recommending that you depart from your highly stylized vocals, because I think that is a key strength of your collaboration. My only recommendation is that you specifically work on MATCHING the styles, if that makes any sense.

In conclusion, I think you both have a great thing going here. If you don't change a thing, you'll still have a home run. But IMO, specifically focusing on vocal symmetry will add something useful to your presentation.

#162181 - 06/15/12 09:26 AM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: Pat Marr]
Beagle Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Fort Worth TX, USA
Pat - I want to thank you for saying what I wanted to say but was afraid (as the new guy in the showcase forum) that it would not be taken well.

You said exactly what I thought when I listened to this song (and the other songs I've listened to from this duo - I think I've listened to 3 of their songs so far).

I like Bob and Josie both - they're good folks, but their vocals need to be tighter and work more together than they currently do. I love the style, but tighten up the timing and pitch between the 2 sounds and your music will excel.

#162182 - 06/15/12 08:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: Beagle]
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Pat / Beagle,

Thanks for listening and for the feedback. Josie and I appreciate you taking the time to comment. It's all helpful and is also interesting to hear the different points of view.

Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac review on www.guitaren.dk!

www.guitaren.dk has recently reviewed Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, which can be read here.

Summary:

"Our conclusion is that this is a very serious and well done piece of software.The program is fast and flawless and you'll very quick get impressive results just typing the name of the chords. The new functions are exiting and worthy to be includes in this anniversary upgrade.
We were very impressed by the MIDI SuperTracks, which is simply brilliant. It’s a function in Band-in-a-Box that's here to stay.
It's amazing that the programs feel is so fresh and innovative after 30 years. This version is better than ever and should be a in every home studio or pro studio... Congratulations with the anniversary! We love you as the ex-wife we did not know we were missing.
"

Band-in-a-Box®: Part of The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig!

Check out the latest Sweetwater article from Mitch Gallagher: "The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig" - he's included Band-in-a-Box!

"The king of backing track creation, in my opinion, is Band-in-a-Box (BIAB). It can do everything from country to jazz to metal, with a huge array of instruments and options. There is a great selection of songs and BIAB tracks available for free on the web, so you don’t even have to make your own."
-Mitch Gallagher
www.sweetwater.com

#TBT - The First Audiophile Edition

A blast from the past... the introduction of the Audiophile Edition with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5!

The first Audiophile purchase included the WAV files for all the RealTracks & RealDrums that were available at that time: RealTracks Sets 1-9 and RealDrums Sets 1-20. It shipped pre-installed on a 250GB USB hard drive - take a look...

Wondering what else was introduced with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5? Click here to see the "Band-in-a-Box 2008.5 New Features List."

RealBand 2018 Interactive Online Upgrade Manual Available!

The newest addition to our Online Manuals support page is the RealBand 2018 New Features Guide!

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this Upgrade Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

New Interactive Online Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Manual for Mac!

We've added an Online Manuals option to our Support page, where you can access an interactive online Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac User's Guide!

The Online Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window! Also available on our Online Manuals page is the PDF files for Band-in-a-Box® 2017-2018 Full manuals & Upgrade manuals.

User Feedback - Run as Administrator

Our Forum is a great resource for all your Band-in-a-Box questions (and a GREAT place to connect with other program users!)

Among the many forums available, we have a User-to-User Tips & Tricks forum - perfect for sharing your own technical tips and tricks for any PG Music product!

Like the recent post by jford: You Should Run BIAB and RealBand As Administrator!

Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest - Over 25 Entries!

We recently launched an Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest with 4 prizes of $150!

So far, there are more than 25 entries! Have a listen to these entries and submit your own song here.

Contest Rules:
-You must own Band-in-a-Box® 2018 along with one or more of the Xtra Styles PAK 5 packages (Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, MIDI)
-The song you submit must be your own original composition. This could be simply typing in chords to your song and pressing play, but you may also add additional instruments, solo, and/or melody.
-Public domain songs will be accepted.
-Multiple entries are permitted.
-Submit your song to the "Xtra Styles 5 Contest" forum, before the deadline. (This contest runs until September 30th)

For complete information on this contest, click here.

Forum Stats
27971 Members
57 Forums
53956 Topics
445653 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Gabbiano, javah, THE PEA IS FREE, thai le, Jeumsoo/Byun

27971 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 456
David Snyder 151