You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#162163 - 06/10/12 10:37 PM [User Showcase] These Stone Walls
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Hey All,

Here's a new one from Josie and I. All BIAB/RT's and mixed in Garageband. Thanks for listening and we hope you enjoy it!

These Stone Walls

Bob

#162164 - 06/10/12 11:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: rsdean]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Josie and Bob,

AABA form is such a great song form. It's one that I always love listening to. In my opinion, this form great for capturing a single moment in time. Given the "protest era" vibe of these lyrics and that AABA was the predominant song form used at that point in time, you've managed to capture the sound and musical feel of a generation really well.

I also found myself greatly admiring the elegant simplicity of the lyrics. I like the development of the pictures you paint.

All the best,
Noel

#162165 - 06/11/12 01:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: Noel96]
jptjptjpt Offline
Apprentice

You captured a big sound here. Good alt-country. I like it.

#162166 - 06/11/12 06:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: Noel96]
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Hey Noel,

Thanks so much for your kind words and detailed review. That means a lot to us.

Bob

#162167 - 06/11/12 06:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: jptjptjpt]
rsdean Offline
Veteran

jptjptjpt,

Hi. Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. We're very glad you enjoyed it!

Bob

#162168 - 06/11/12 07:16 AM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: rsdean]
Tommyc Online   content
Veteran

I love it, as usual! Great example of economy in lyrics, you don't need a lot of words to tell your story. Thank you for sharing!

#162169 - 06/11/12 11:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: rsdean]
Tim Lawrence Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Long Beach California. United ...
Well to misquote Robert Frost "stone walls make good neighbors." LOL.
Just kidding. Good one guys.
Simple lyrics but very effective.

Tim

#162170 - 06/11/12 05:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: Tommyc]
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Hey Tommy,

Thanks very much! We appreciate the feedback.

Bob

#162171 - 06/11/12 05:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: Tim Lawrence]
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Hi Tim,

I know that quote well... LOL! Thanks for your kind words.

Bob

#162172 - 06/12/12 02:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: rsdean]
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
love the haunting overtones.
Great lyrics.

Well written and constructed.
Great mood song.

#162173 - 06/12/12 06:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: Rob4580]
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Hey Rob,

Thanks. We really appreciate you taking the time to listen and provide your thoughts.

Bob

#162174 - 06/12/12 07:16 AM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: Rob4580]
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Nice work Bob, Josie. I enjoyed that.
BIAB 2017
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 3

#162175 - 06/12/12 02:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: Skyline]
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Thank you John!

Bob

#162176 - 06/13/12 10:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: rsdean]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Noel, Jpt, Tommy, Tim and Skyline,

Thank you guys for taking the time to listen and comment. I always appreciate your feedback.

This is definately one of our more Americana/Alt songs. Life being so hard for many these days it certainly could be taken as a protest but I was actually thinking more of a stalled frustrating relationship when I contributed to some of the lyrics. It's a sneaky little song that sticks in your head. I guess because we all face some kind of stone wall sooner or later.

Glad you all enjoyed it.

#162177 - 06/14/12 04:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: rsdean]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Fabulous throughout.

#162178 - 06/14/12 08:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: Don Gaynor]
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Don,

Thanks for listening - we appreciate that.

Bob

#162179 - 06/15/12 07:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: rsdean]
Beagle Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Fort Worth TX, USA
nice song.

#162180 - 06/15/12 07:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: rsdean]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Bob and Josie,

I have several comments, not just about this song but about your whole endeavor as a team. If I had to pick one word that describes your collaboration, it would be "STYLISH"

1) I really like the way you have styled your presentation. The web site looks very professional, not unlike what I'd expect to find if I went to the web site of somebody famous. Presenting your songs in that environment is head and shoulders above clicking a link and ending up on a soundcloud MP3 player.

2) I also like the way you have managed to create a recognizeable persona for your songs. There are so many people pushing songs online, and many of them sound like rubber stamps of all the other stuff. In contrast, if I listened to 10 songs by different musical teams, your style is distinctive enough to know which song is yours. That is a good thing. It's more than good, it is highly desirable.

3) You have both invested enough time in the software to actualize your ideas pretty quickly and get a good mix. A lot of people drop the ball in this area. They have good ideas, but can't seem to bring them to fruition. But your musical productivity is very high, and I respect that.

I admire what you are doing on so many levels that I almost hate to offer any observations that might be construed as negative in any way. But in my mind there is a difference between nasty criticism and constructive critique. For what its worth, here are my thoughts. Take them only as an opinion and not as a pronouncement of value.

To my ears there is a mismatch in the symmetry of your voices. Each one alone works great, but together I often hear segments where the stylish quality of the two voices go in different directions. I'll try to explain.

Bob, I love your voice. You've got that laid back Dylan groove going, and it works very well for you.

Josie, I love your voice. You've got sort of a Carly Simon motif that fits you very well.

What I would expect from this collaboration is an informal Sonny and Cher duo... all the right pieces are there. Unfortunately the stylized vocals that work well individually don't always mesh. Bob's style favors emphasis over intonation, and Josie's style favors intonation. Therefore there are times when Bob is relaxed in pitch while Josie is precise, and it ends up sounding like you can't decide how to mate the two vocal styles.

In other words, either Josie needs to follow Bob's relaxed intonation style so the difference in pitch is not noticeable, or Bob needs to rethink the Dylanesque presentation. I suggest actually LOOKING at the two vocal tracks side by side in Melodyne so you can manually adjust the notes to approximately the same tonal deviation. Making them autotune perfect would ruin the wonderful styism that you have going... all that's required here is SYMMETRY not perfect pitch

Sonny and Cher worked because they were both relaxed, and the pitch of the two voices stayed very close, even though neither was spot-on. I am not recommending that you depart from your highly stylized vocals, because I think that is a key strength of your collaboration. My only recommendation is that you specifically work on MATCHING the styles, if that makes any sense.

In conclusion, I think you both have a great thing going here. If you don't change a thing, you'll still have a home run. But IMO, specifically focusing on vocal symmetry will add something useful to your presentation.

#162181 - 06/15/12 09:26 AM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: Pat Marr]
Beagle Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Fort Worth TX, USA
Pat - I want to thank you for saying what I wanted to say but was afraid (as the new guy in the showcase forum) that it would not be taken well.

You said exactly what I thought when I listened to this song (and the other songs I've listened to from this duo - I think I've listened to 3 of their songs so far).

I like Bob and Josie both - they're good folks, but their vocals need to be tighter and work more together than they currently do. I love the style, but tighten up the timing and pitch between the 2 sounds and your music will excel.

#162182 - 06/15/12 08:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: These Stone Walls [Re: Beagle]
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Pat / Beagle,

Thanks for listening and for the feedback. Josie and I appreciate you taking the time to comment. It's all helpful and is also interesting to hear the different points of view.

Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Video - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets for Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

Have you purchased your Band-in-a-Box® package, and want to make sure you're downloading and installing the RealTracks Sets correctly?

Well, we've created just the tutorial video you're looking for! Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets.

Video link:
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=QndXu8H_IwM

Thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 - Mac Power Users Discussion

David Sparks and Katie Floyd discuss a variety of topics in their recent episide of Mac Power Users: https://www.relay.fm/mpu/432 - listen all the way through (and laugh along with them - it was a very entertaining episode!), or jump to 1:37:40 where David shares his thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac!

Thank you David and Katie!

Polish New Features Video for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

Our Polish Distributor, Sound Station, has finished their Band-in-a-Box 2018 New Features summary video (in Polish!) - click here to watch.

We hope all our Polish Band-in-a-Box users find this video helpful - thank you Sound Station!

YouTube Find - Love it (with Band-in-a-Box 2018)

YouTube channel EmtpyHallToones uploaded a video of their guitar performance using Band-in-a-Box backing tracks!

Click here to watch.

Get to Know the 202 NEW RealTracks Released with Band-in-a-Box® 2018!

We released 202 NEW RealTracks with Band-in-a-Box® 2018! Learn more about these new RealTracks when you watch our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2018 - 202 NEW RealTracks.

These new RealTracks (in Sets 278-300) are included in every Band-in-a-Box® 2018 UltraPAK, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade - the Mac packages are on sale until June 30th!

Learn even more about the new RealTracks and listen to demos here.

Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks Tutorial Video for Mac

With Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac®, we've introduced Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks. This video shows you the different ways you can use these versatile new RealTracks.

Video link: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=zkO-AtAPv4g

You can also listen to demos of RealTracks Set 278: Shiny Vocal Oohs & Aahs here.

This RealTracks Set is available for just $29, and is also included in RealPAK 14: Country, and the Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK, Audiophile, or 2018 PlusPAK Upgrade.

Video RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Special Pricing Until June 30th!

With the recent Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac release, we also released Video RealTracks Sets!

Video RealTracks allow you to see the RealTracks artist playing that track - you can use them just like any other RealTrack, and you can generate a video which will display the musician playing your song exactly as you hear it. You can also include a chord sheet or notation in the video.

We've added Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band to our Free Bonus PAK included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac packages during our release special (which ends June 30th!).
Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band is included in the 2018 49-PAK, along with 40 Bonus UNRELEASED RealTracks, 22 MIDI SuperTracks, 101 Instrumental Studies, and Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé.

SPECIAL OFFER: During our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac release special, purchase our "Video RealTracks Set 3-6 Special Bundle Offer" to complete your purchase with the remaining Video RealTracks Sets for the low price of just $49! Learn more.

Learn more about the new Video RealTracks and see them in action: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=fzkX6jO_hW4

Forum Stats
27617 Members
50 Forums
52222 Topics
432237 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
ausvsac, Jose-Luis-NZ, Cipher, BillyP, fleahead

27616 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 192
Noel96 170