Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
W
Wrkit Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
W
How about fixing the audio chord wizard so it makes sense? After trying several times
to render a wav/mp3 to midi, using BIAB, I've concluded it's still underdeveloped. More
times than not it doesn't even come close to the original audio file. It just seems all
these extra top heavy audio applications need to be revisited...or is it just me? Also
what about upgrading the notation portion of the program for those of us still left that
use and need midi?

Still trying to,
Wrkinit

Veteran
Veteran
I think you misunderstand what the Audio Chord Wizard does. It does not convert your WAV or MP3 to MIDI. What it does do, however, is try to figure out the underlying chord progression in the WAV or MP3 (not an easy task - don't you think there would be hundreds of such applications if that were easy?). Even if it misses a chord or three, it's usually pretty good about getting the root bass note. After you create the chord progression, it sends it back to BIAB where you must pick a style to play the chord progression. That will sound like whatever the style dictates, which won't be what the original WAV sounded like.

It has been updated a few times in the past, and while there is probably more it could do, it's actually pretty easy to use. But it's not going to create a note-for-note MIDI from your WAV or MP3.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
The ACW is fantastic. I used it to add RTs to commercially recored projects I've worked on as opposed to hiring musicians.I usually have to fix a couple of chords when done. I also tap in the 1 through out the song as most of the bands don't use a click. The results are impressive.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Veteran
Veteran
It works great for me too, use it all the time!

W
Wrkit Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
W
So the consensus, so far, is that for a random chord generator it's great?
Gimme a break! So what's so wrong with developing it to also
include the ability of deciphering the melody as well? Amazing Midi (freebee)
has done this already, with far better results than the audio chord
wizard, in terms of, identifying audio data and converting it to midi.

I'm just curious to hear and see the results from those that are
expounding this half baked application. In all my attempts, I've yet to
see the results resemble anything that was even remotely close to the
original audio I used, FWIW! Just my $0.02

Wrkinit

Veteran
Veteran
Dude, I don't know where you're getting your information from but the ACW is NOT for converting audio to midi! It's also NOT a random chord generator. It's a tool for someone who uses Biab to get the song layout and the basic chords from an audio file so you can make a Biab song out of it.

Say you have a recording of my favorite "They're Moving Mothers Grave To Build A Sewer". You want to have Biab build an arrangement of that song. Without the ACW what do you do? You get to count the bars by listening to the record, figure out the chords by ear and create a new song in Biab from scratch. The ACW makes that process a whole lot faster starting with the basic song layout. Even if every single chord is wrong, just that alone is a huge time saver because it imports into Biab with all the bars. It's pretty easy after that to just enter the chords yourself but usually the ACW will also give you all the chords but yes, depending on how complex the song is you may have to make some corrections.

Give us an example by telling us what song you're trying to get the chords for. Also, have you watched the video tutorial that shows you step by step how to use it? No? Didn't think so. Find it and watch it.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Expert
Expert
FWIW - most people are as happy as they choose to be.
Maybe the ear training module might work better for you.
Have a nice summer.

Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
Veteran
Veteran
By the way, WRKit, no one is saying that they wouldn't love for ACW to be able to convert audio to MIDI; however, your initial post said that's what you were trying to do and it didn't work. Well, it didn't work because at this point in time that's NOT what it does. And again, if it were easy, don't you think every DAW on the market would offer it.

So, in the interim, make a wishlist request and maybe one day we'll get it. And if you are so happy with Amazing MIDI, well, there you go. Your needs have been met.

John

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
In a way though, recognizing chords in an audio file means recognizing the pitches that make up the chord, so in that way, it is pitch recognition software. And is the function of pitch recognition any different than audio to midi?

If an app can recognize all pitches correctly, it could easily make a MIDI file of it, no?

Veteran
Veteran
ACW has a resolution of every half note. So it is recognizing the predominant tones and overtones within each half beat of the song. That's much different than figuring out melody lines, harmony lines, riffs, etc within that half beat.

So, yes, I suppose one day it can be done, but for now, it seems only close, and that's the frustration, isn't it?

John

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

In a way though, recognizing chords in an audio file means recognizing the pitches that make up the chord, so in that way, it is pitch recognition software. And is the function of pitch recognition any different than audio to midi?

If an app can recognize all pitches correctly, it could easily make a MIDI file of it, no?

Real Band has a feature that can convert a simple one-track audio passage to MIDI. Likewise, Melodyne is a pitch recognition program, and it can create midi files from simple audio files, but it's not perfect either. Even if a program isolates every note perfectly, how would it know which instrument/track that note belongs with?

If anyone is expecting to load an MP3 of a full song and generate a complete MIDI file separated into tracks... well, no music program I'm aware of can do that yet.

M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
No pitch recognition program I have ever tried has worked well. Tuners can do it though, with a single tone, held.

From what I have heard, Melodyne is the best pitch recognition app to date. I am sure not perfect though.

W
Wrkit Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
W
Yo Dude or Dudette which ever applies? It doesn't take rocket science to figure out
how to use the ACW or what it does. My point is, what it does, it doesn't do well.
If you took the time to follow the initial or original thread, this topic was being
revisited. A few responses to this post seemingly understand the dilemma of this and
related software programs that attempt to do it...convert audio into some form of
useful midi data. Melodyne and Amazing Midi (previously mentioned) are programs that
do that, not well, but just the same, the technology is still not there yet.

My reason for responding to your post and similar response to yours is to set the
record straight regarding, under developed apps within BIAB. Random chord generation
from audio is what it's doing, based on algorithms that *try* to interpret frequencies
producing a representation (midi wise)of the audio file. Read what pgmusic claims what
it can do and what it really does! The ACW is nothing more than a glorified random chord
generator based on the current technology in that area. I was merely interested in
successful attempts that users found with this program, at this point, in it's current
state of development.

I mean really, chord layout or the ability to indicate how many measures were in the
audio file, yikes! What did we do before computers??? I used my fingers and toes, a
pencil and paper, and my ears to learn tunes and often times I still do.

FWIW! Maybe the squeaky wheel will eventually get the oil, someday?
Wrkinit

W
Wrkit Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
W
And I think you missed the point. As stated in my most recent post/reply. "What it is
touted as being able to do, it doesn't do it well. Yet, the results you get are questionable
at best, so far! And what's so wrong about bringing up short comings of pgmusic products
and apps? How about more time and energy spent not on re-inventing the wheel, but on making
what you got, and what it does better....O I forgot, isn't that what we call revisions and
upgrades?

Wrkinit

W
Wrkit Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
W
My, what a snarky reply. Ear training program? Wow, you mean one can train their ears to hear?
Now if we only had a program that could create intelligent and useful information/responses?

There's always one or two that find a way to kill a buzz!

Wrkinit

Veteran
Veteran
So put it on the wish list and see what happens, or is there some expectation that PGMusic is going to drop what they are currently working on to create for you that which dedicated companies don't even do very well.

Quote:

My, what a snarky reply. Ear training program? Wow, you mean one can train their ears to hear?

Ian can defend himself, but my take is: What a snarky reply yourself, especially to someone who legitimately has trouble hearing.

Folks here are just users trying to help users. Are you upset because you're not getting the answer you already decided you wanted?

Later...

John

Veteran
Veteran
I do hope you enjoy figuring out very complex programs by yourself as you are well on your way to alienating the whole bunch.Best change your ways.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
W
Wrkit Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
W
jford,

Here again, another knee jerk response that doesn't address the thread or subject. Or has this
relegated to a flame field? The purpose of raising the issue *again* is to bring attention to
products that are making BIAB top heavy. As a long term user, and supporter of the product line,
it's about feedback from actual users, and not from those that have vested interest or those that
aren't using all the bells, gongs and whistles. After all, isn't this a forum where we can be civil,
respectful and provide insights into making a product better and more useful, without attacking one
another? I've only responded in kind, much to my disappointment to only a few, regarding this
discussion. Isn't that what this forum was intended to be for, if not, please explain? Then
again, kindly don't bother....

In terms of being snarky, let's grow up, hugh? Or is your purpose on here, and those inclined
that responded in this fashion, to posts remarks or attacks without really contributing anything
useful? I'm Just seeking insights into ACW and what others think and feel about it. Regarding the
"Wish lists," I'm not talking about re-inventing the wheel (ACW), just make it more relevant.

BTW, this subject was raised before, and since then, I haven't seen or heard about any
developments or improvements regarding it. That's all...get it?

Wrkit

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

In terms of being snarky, let's grow up, hugh?

Who's Hugh?

John

Veteran
Veteran
Midi is dying. Next versions of windows I bet midi goes. Then a few Linux types will keep it alive for a decade or so.

These are user forums. We don't hold hands and sing Kum by yahaw or yahaw but close. If you would like to get out a pen and paper and write to dr Gannon regarding your disgust with the mathematical and acoustic abilities of his soffware, and if you hone you people loving and writing skills perhaps you get a nice post from him.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,481
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195