Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Expert
Expert
On the timing issue:

Notation is a limited way of transcribing music there are many things it simply does not describe - the volume of individual notes for example, its a limited system, developed ad hoc from a variety of choral and orchestral needs - over centuries and for the limitations of scratchy quills on bits of parchment.

I once saw a chart for a sax solo (pick up the pieces) which was a mess of hemi-demi- quavers (64ths US i think. What was really going on was the player was playing a little early thats all. If you wrote it out without the 'earliness' it became legible and simple to play. Similarly a live performance scored by a machine will capture nuances in a unwanted pedantic and over scrupulous fashion.

There are two forms of quantise (in my mind at least) with variants of each. In 'ordinary' quantize the length of the MIDI notes are adjusted and so the nuances of the performace are lost (you can keep two copies of course).

In the second type "Display quantise" the length of the MIDI note remains the same (and the performance left untouched) but the notation is adjusted to 'make sense' or simplify it for others to read. Cubase uses this tech but I am not sure about FInale or Sibelius. I think not, but dont know.

Capturing melodic ideas from a performance has two aspects. Firstly capturing the actual sound. Secondly, making some form of non-acccurate notational representation - a simplification - that is easy for a reader to intepret, particularly if sight reading. These are two different tasks. Notation should be simple as possible (IMO) and the musician should add the nuances.

Veteran
Veteran
I am still confused as to why you put BIAB and Finale in the same sentence. The two are apples and kumquats. Finale is notation software. BIAB/RB is composition software.

A lawn mower (Finale) cuts grass. A tractor (BIAB) cuts grass, tills, plows, grades.... They both WILL cut the grass, but the tractor does so much more. And in this case, the tractor only costs a slight bit more than the lawn mower.

And to be honest, charting note for note is WAY overrated. You REALLY need to see someone else's solo? Are you going to "xerox" it or play what YOUR heart feels when you get your 16 bars of fame?

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Over a year ago I asked questions of Finale on a private forum. Peter replied with the answers. It seems that BIAB can do all the key things I am looking for. I extracted a few items below but I think they both do these. Yes, I think everyone knows Finale can modify notation faster and better but If I need it better I will Try MuseScore. If wondering about the delay, I was going to sell a guitar to buy Finale (not sold yet which is good for the BIAB people).

When asking about Finale Peter said:
Quote:

Finale's quantization settings can compensate for unprecise rhythm playing by adjusting the timing to the nearest integer note value of your specification (e. g. to the nearest 8th note).

For my purposes that would be perfect. If BIAB/RB does this when I record a midi improvised solo against its playback chord tracks that is just great!

Quote:

Finale's hyperscribe can record MIDI playing.
With hyperscribe the pitch (= what MIDI key) is recorded precisely.
Therefore hyperscribe can record chord playing.

Yes I remember this. In Finale they have a form you fill out where you enter the guitar string and it figured out the note from that so I guess this is how it can figure out guitar chord notes and stack them immediately on the staff as you play them. I am curious how BIAB does it since I did see it in the video above(and at the very bottom of this post).
http://www.finalemusic.com/UserManuals/F...nstruments6.htm

Quote:

Finale works with MIDI code.
You can play an audio file while Finale simultaneously plays MIDI code, but Finale can't edit an audio file.

I gather BIAB does both. You can cut/paste etc audio wave data and do the same with Midi.

Quote:

You can edit your Midi input notes and chords with mouse, with computer keyboard, and with MIDI keyboard.

I assume BIAB can do it with a mouse or rerecord a segment of a prior recorded Midi track.

Quote:

Notation should be simple as possible (IMO) and the musician should add the nuances.

I agree.

In my case I am not using BIAB to compose. The type of composing I will be doing is improvising solos against Chords of a song (normally an existing song such as SummerTime) then if I like something I improvised against these chords played back in BIAB then I will capture it and use it to assemble a new song. I may use the same or different chords but BIAB will not chose them, I will. On the other hand, if I play a solo against chords of Summertime as played back by BIAB and I do not think there is anything special melodically I will just record over the track next time until I finally like something (no point in looking at the notation if it has nothing special to offer). If I am jamming with others I will drag the notebook computer around with me and always be recording a Midi version of my playing always trying to Mine those special melodies that may crop up spur of the moment. This leads to a very interesting question. Can BIAB record chords coming in from a Microphone on one track and onto another track at the same time record my Midi input. If it can do this that would be just great! I am going to guess that it can not.

So based upon this Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VxCPlfV1lA
I have to assume that BIAB does some sort of quantization if the midi input this guitarist was playing. It was not hard to read. Because the notes are already on the staff, I figure he must have recorded the Midi then came back and played along with it to make the video so you could see him playing at the same time. Either that or he had some way of syncing up a play back of the notes to the original video of his playing.

Last edited by bowlesj; 07/07/12 05:04 PM.
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Quote:

I am still confused as to why you put BIAB and Finale in the same sentence. The two are apples and kumquats. Finale is notation software. BIAB/RB is composition software.

I can't find the scroll feature in this forum to find your name so "Hi (maybe Eddie)" will have to do for now.

I see you mean after searching Google with the search string "editing notation in band in the box" and finding this link.
http://www.drdobbs.com/web-development/band-in-a-box-finale-amp-musicxml/184405808
If you search this web page with "Mildly" you be taken down to where he describes the shortcomings of the BIAB editor as well as some of the problems with how the program creates notation from the Midi files as it records it. But he then goes on to explain how he gets the files to Finale and back. Isn't Google amazing when you start to design improved search strings.

Below is a small extract of (how he works around the export/import problems), which will get some interested in clicking the link above to study it more thoroughlly as I am doing right now.
Quote:

Exporting with Style
To get an SMF file with the melody and sufficient harmonic information to represent the current chord symbol at the proper place, I developed a Band-In-A-Box export style by using Band-In-A-Box's Stylemaker process. Building the style took less than five minutes because the export style plays only one bass note, the root, in the bass part and only one chord in the piano accompaniment part for each chord change. The style plays a very simple version of the tune. Kind of like when you learned "Heart and Soul" on the piano when you were a kid.

So when I sell my mint condition 1981 Mark Beneteau guitar (and apply the savings from buying the lowest cost Midi setup for the ES345) I just buy both BIAB & Finale (or use MuseScore instead of Finale).

Here is an important question.
I am wondering if it is possible to run BIAB on the computer and Finale at the same time and send the Midi solos I am playing against the BIAB tracks to Finale rather than having to do a lot of editing after recording them in BIAB and getting the file to Finale. I have 4 computers at my disposal so maybe I can use a dual computer setup for this if it can not be done on my main machine which is the more powerful one. I remember now. If I buy Finale I definitely have to upgrade my most powerful machine.

Last edited by bowlesj; 07/08/12 04:24 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Hi John,

I'm very impressed with all the homework you've been doing. I just wanted to clarify a couple of things.

After reading through the "Band In A Box" section in the link you gave, I note that Dr Dobbs says ...
Quote:

The latest version, Band-In-A-Box 2004. [I see that the page was written on 1 Sept. 2004.]

I just want to point out that there have been many changes to the program since 2004. If one considers half-yearly updates, there have been 16 of them since his webpage was written.

Also, where he says ...
Quote:

Almost everybody uses the digital piano because the Band-In-A-Box notation editor is lacking, to put it mildly.

I TOTALLY disagree with this statement. Although I have a keyboard connected to my computer, I rarely use it to enter music. I do all my notation entry with the mouse because I find the present BIAB notation editor is the fastest and easiest way to enter notation. It's a different process from usual score writing programs but it is very efficient! I love it.

Below is an image of a part of one of my song that I've transcribed using BIAB. After notating the song in BIAB, I printed it to a pdf file for a hard copy. For 99.5% of my notation requirements, BIAB (Windows version) does the job just fine.

From a notation perspective, BIAB limits the display to 1/16th notes as the smallest note size. To be honest, I've never found that a problem. BIAB MIDI playback and MIDI recording, on the other hand, can record much smaller value notes. It's just that they will not display correctly in notation.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,
Noel

Last edited by Noel96; 07/08/12 06:25 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
To augment what Noel has said, I can use my keyboard controller, midi guitar controller, wind controller, drum pad controller or I can write notes using my mouse in BiaB.

Like Noel BiaB is fine for my notational needs.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hi Noel (and Mario),

Thanks for your reply. Yes it does help. It will change the sequence of this todo list.
Quote:

Determine the computer requirements for (Finale / BIAB / MultiCharts), create a spread sheet of costs, sell my Marc Beneteau guitar, [BUY: a new computer. Midi setup, BIAB], then later determine if I need to use MuseScore and if need be even Finale).

It also makes me aware I should first search for "20" in the page to see if I can find the date.

Excellent:
BIAB is looking better all the time. I just found out that if I am out jamming with others, using a notebook I can set up a mike to record an audio of the session so I hear the chords etc of the other players while at the same time feeding the Midi into a 2nd track and feeding my guitar to the amp so I do not hear any tracking errors. That way on playback one can hear their playing and everyone's playing as well as get a very clear editable recording of only their guitar playing to use for closer study, practicing a new riff, storing that riff or capturing melodic gems for writing songs.

Thanks again,
John

Last edited by bowlesj; 07/08/12 04:12 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
https://www.reverbnation.com/johnbowles
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,623
Posts735,190
Members38,520
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DanyLevy, Arnav Singh, vasilich, maxrob61, TonyInManchester
38,519 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185