Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#166081 07/18/12 03:15 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
greg64 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I've noticed that the windows BIAB forum has 6000+ posts and the MAC forum only 700 or so. Does that mean that MAC users are just naturally better at using the software ? Or would I have been better getting the windows version

Veteran
Veteran
The latter. I have both a new Mac and a pc. When the developers at apple released a new operating system pg music had no way to compile their code. This caused Mac development to freeze. So far there has been no way to catch up.

That's my understanding.

Remember apple is about 15 percent of the computer market.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I've noticed that the windows BIAB forum has 6000+ posts and the MAC forum only 700 or so. Does that mean that MAC users are just naturally better at using the software ? Or would I have been better getting the windows version

1) According to the trade magazines, Mac users comprise only about 5% of the market. My own Mac sales run about 6% at last count, so the 5% estimate seems good. So there are simply 20 times more PC users than Mac users.

2) Historically BiaB/PC has been better than BiaB/Mac. More features, and new features introduced sooner. IMO it's because for the same programming time, PC programming pays $20 for every one Mac dollar. I have no PG Music inside information - this is only a guess. I see and read about this trend with other companies.

So if you have a choice between BiaB/PC and BiaB/Mac, my advice is to get BiaB/PC

Insights and incites by Notes

Brand new 2012.5 updates from Norton Music:
  • 2 new style disks for Band-in-a-Box
  • 2 new free (with a purchase) fancy intro/ending disks for Real Band and other DAW's
  • The Ultimate Gospel Fake Disk
  • The Real Rock Fake Disk (plenty of classic rock in this one)
  • The Beatles Fake Disk
  • And an updated Christmas Fake Disk

Hundreds of Free .sgu and .mp3 demos for the above at: http://www.nortonmusic.com

greg64 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
John and Notes, Thanks Guys. Hope you don't mind one reply.

Well I don't really know the history of BIAB, I'm really that new to it, it was recommended to me because I wanted to create "country" backing tracks for my singing, guitar and harmonica.

My first impressions are excellent I love how easy it is in general to put together a tune.

I did buy the PC version originally but the PC I own is tosh so it wouldn't run properly so PG Music were good enough to transfer me over to the MAC version for my Mini MAC.

One thing I didn't realise at the time was the number of features missing in the MAC version or I may have considered carefully whether it would have just been better upgrading my PC, given the cost of the software and extra real tracks.

It's still a cracking piece of software though, but I'm looking this week at how hard it will be to put out a more complicated piece that has a few repeats and a D.S which is not in the MAC version! But I'm still in the 30 day period I suppose it gives me a bit more confidence is sticking at it!

Journeyman
Journeyman
Greg,

I came to the Mac version having previously used the Windoze version. I don't think there's any question that the Windows version is ahead in features, updates, support, etc. There are a few threads on the forum about using Boot Camp or Parallels to run the Windows version on a Mac (use forum search to find some of these discussions). With the Windows version, you also get Real Band, which is a huge positive IMO. In the end, I'm by no means a "power user", and I think I'll stick with the Mac version for now. You've just got to decide this one for yourself, trying to weigh the plusses and minuses, how badly you need the features not supported on the Mac. I don't expect this situation to change - I think Notes' estimate of 20 times more users (and thus, sales) dictates where PG Music must put their priorities.

Bruce

Macbook Pro 2018
2.6 GHz 6-core Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM
OS Monterey
BIAB for Mac 2022
greg64 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi Bruce

Yeah I've used parallels. But to be honest, I like the speed of my MAC so try to avoid it if I can. The RealBand software would have been nice. But I do like the easy feel of the MAC version it feels tidy and seems to do everything I'd hope other that the notation. But I suppose it's not a big enough issue for me to move over to the dark side.

I can understand PG Musics priority. I write iPhone software instead of Android, because a) People are willing to pay and b) It's easier to get the software look and feel right!

Anyway, I've knocked the following at my second attempt this week. So I'm getting used to it. Not sure why though, the SoundCloud service seems to make it jump the first 5 seconds, they must host it on a windows server ;-)

http://soundcloud.com/gregmartin64/one-more-time

Thanks again Bruce.

Greg

Journeyman
Journeyman
Greg,

The Soundcloud link won't work for me. Yeah, I've sort of made my peace with the trade off with BIAB Mac vs PC. Even if you don't have all the same features, BIAB for Mac is still a really useful program, and certainly does what I mostly do (12 bars of blues, around and around).

Bruce

Macbook Pro 2018
2.6 GHz 6-core Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM
OS Monterey
BIAB for Mac 2022
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J
I get it that the Mac is a small share of the market compared to PCs, yet the gap is narrowing, and for the past five years, Mac sales have been growing faster than PC sales. But what's even more interesting is that last year, Apple sold over 40 millions IPads -- and IPads outsold PCs from HP, Lenovo and Dell during the fourth quarter. I run Garageband on my IPad just fine. Time for a functional IPad version of BIAB, wouldn’t you say?

M
M
I started out as a BIAB user on my PC and was a committed PC user for many years. The iPad and my MAC user friends got me to thinking about switching to an iMac and I did. The hardware and available software on the MAC quickly showed me why people love it so. I have a new PC at work, and so have a daily experience to compare the two systems. It is easy to see why the the MAC market share is growing. Now, after a few years away from BIAB, I bought the crossover package and began using on my iMac. BIAB is still the easiest and best music making software for regular folks (non music professionals) I have found, even with its current feature set vs. the PC version. MAC users can only hope that PGMusic finds the way to take BIAB for MAC to a higher level. I think they will be rewarded, but understand the risk/payoff considerations for a business. To a degree, the limited share that Notes Norton sites is a self-fulfilling prophecy given the time in market for each version. Something to think about, though...given the pace of new development, I wouldn't be surprised to see a competitive product coming in to fill the feature gap. A key factor would be to think about how to deliver leading edge feature set using MAC thinking, rather than having to focus on converting PC versions.

mbowen #166090 09/05/12 12:31 AM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
After struggling for a very long time with my PC malware (and I've used a PC for 15 years)
I'm about 75% sure I'm switching to a Mac. (SO many people told me to!) I've barely
touched my BIAB program because I'm spending so much time with fixing things on the PC.

I bought the Everything Pak in January and barely used it. I may buy the crossover
eventually (it's rather expensive though) but don't know when.

I was wondering if anyone knows the best way to go about deciding on the specs of a new
Mac to help me do recording. Sax is my main instrument. I just found out the Apple store
can't help much.

Thanks,
Debb (

N
Journeyman
Journeyman
N
I bought a refurb iMac i5 ( quad core ) 2011 model a few months ago. not top CPU spec, but I got the reseller to put in 16GB or RAM.

a 2.7 Ghz i5 works fine for me and i'm using very big sample sets.

these days i reckon even the cheapest spec will be fine but my advice is to always go for a big HD and lots of RAM.

The later Macs now all come with 7200 RPM Hard disks so thats not and issue,

Big Sur, Mac Mini i7 2018, 64GB RAM 2TB SSD
Yamaha PSR SX 900, Cubase, Ableton, UNIFY, OPUS ORCHESTRATOR, MASCHINE, Vienna Ensemble Pro ,Audiofuse, L6 HELI, KOMPLETE, Komplete Kontrol 88
Lockdown beard, podgy face, beer belly, bald patch ... yadda yadda
Veteran
Veteran
I really like my Macbook, but you could just make your PC a double boot system with Linux and only access the web with it. Most people agree that the PC version of Biab is better. I mainly use my Mac for Logic Pro 9 because it's way easy to use, I use a PC for Biab and Real Band.

A
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
A
I have Pro Tools on my Mac, so it's a no-brainer for me to put BIAB on the same platform. I've found in the past that if you keep lusting after upgrades/enhamcements, you're less likely to get really proficient on your current setup.

iMac, MOTU 828 MkII, Western Drive EHD, M-Audio Axiom 25, plus too many instruments, mics, leads, crap, etc.
E
ews Offline
E
Well, it has become aware over and over again, that BiaB on MAC is a waste of MONEY, TIME, RESOURCES (yes, I've just been frustrating myself with BiAB MAC for the last hour ;-(.
Same price as the Windows Version, way less functionality. Whatever new function is introduced, its on the WIndows version first. Some stuff never makes it to the MAC version at all.

And of course the huge difference in the two versions is not clearly advertised by PG.
I just witnessed a friend how he stuffed his iPhone with a setlist of 15 songs and all but one played fine. And if copy songs to mine, all the iPad version does is crash. Frustrating.

The 2012 upgrade from 2011 for my EveryPak is $ 379. The Finale-BiaB bundle was some $ 900 too. You decide if you want to come up with the big bucks for less functionality than the Windows version.

Don't get me wrong, BiaB is one great piece of SW and the folks at PG have "always" been very professional and helpful. But on the MAC implementation they dropped the ball clearly. Just my 2 cts and I think everybody MAC looking int o BiAB should be fully aware that the MAC version is far from the Windows version.

And of course, don't be mistaken. There is no alternative really in a direct comparable product. Neither Jammer, nor Chordpulse are available for the MAC as far as I know. THere is "iRealB" on the iPad which lacks some functionality still, but that's what I use no for the quickies.

Of course I understand that for now the installed base of Window$ machinery still is more users, but I think if you charge the same amount of money for either platform, then you gotta deliver the same amount of meat !! Just my 2 cts.

ews #166095 11/17/12 06:47 AM
L
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
L
damn right,ews!'ve been writing those issues for years.' ve give up!We won't have it and that's all.No explanation either.Something like Israel and Palestine-the whole world knows what is wrong and what is right in that matter ,but nothing happens to change that injustice.The same with us-Mac users...seasons greetings and hope for ...hehehehhe...better BiaB for Mac

A
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
A
These PC/Mac wars go on everywhere. Can anyone (briefly) explain what functionality the Mac version lacks compared to the equivalent PC version?

iMac, MOTU 828 MkII, Western Drive EHD, M-Audio Axiom 25, plus too many instruments, mics, leads, crap, etc.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
))) These PC/Mac wars go on everywhere. Can anyone (briefly) explain what functionality the Mac version lacks compared to the equivalent PC version?

The features are very similar, and the gap is closing. The main difference in the past was the notation, the Windows version has a leadsheet window, jazz font available, guitar tab and other notation features. But all that was added to the Mac version in version 2012.5.

The Mac version doesn't have an audio track. I don't think that feature is used that much in the Windows side, and I haven't heard many users asking for it. This is because you can drag the files into other DAWS that have many audio tracks available.

Both the Windows and Mac versions play the same songs and styles and sound the same. In many cases the Mac version sounds better, likely due to better audio output hardware than some Windows machines.

There are some features that the Mac version has that Windows doesn't have . Also some big advantages for the Mac version due to the Mac architecture of the audio. The Windows version has audio latency with MIDI, requiring you to use ASIO drivers if you want to get rid of it. The Mac version doesn't have this issue, as the latency is low to begin with, so no added drivers required.

BTW, the estimates of Mac users at 5% is way too low. It might be correct for corporate use, but among musicians (and hence BiaB users) it is far higher. That's why continue to work hard in development on both Mac and Windows versions, as we have for the last 23 years.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Peter,

You and your team did a very good job closing the gap between the PC and MAC versions. Personally I don't miss the audio part. I'm using both MAC and PC versions, but I do prefer the MAC version.

Cheers,

Gerard aka Phil

MacBook Pro 13 inch 2019 1 tB SSD, AirPods Pro and Max,
iPhone 13 Pro Max AppleTV 1 ,2,3 & 4 iPad Mini Retina 256 GB, Applewatch #7 generation. iMac 27 inch 1 tB Fusion Drive, 16 Gb memory, iPad Pro M1 12.9, Mac Mini M1
L
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
L
maybe one thing missing is the ear-training...and the conductor

I hope it's OK to join this thread & ask a newer question...I have v 12 build 21 running on an iMac 10.6.8.

(We switched to Mac after becoming thoroughly peed off with crashing PC's & data recover - no problems like that)

anyway, while I can put up with some of the clunkiness in the Mac version, one thing that astounds me is the print formatting. The spacing of the lines in the stave seems to go 'small,large,small,large' with the result that some passages are unreadable because the notes appear in the wrong places. - and graphics is supposed to be a Mac attarction.

Is there a way/setting to fix this?

I have to transfer files & run to an old PC to print a readable version of a chart. BTW the PC printout is very good.

Thanks,
Rob.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,690
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200