#166208 07/19/12 03:57 AM
Off-Topic
J
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
Hi

i am trying to down load a program i go on to the site and try to start the down load and all i get is loads of internet exployer pages up to 30pages one after another and im not even in internet exployer im using chrome,firefox or safari and i can`t stop this happerning do you think this is a virus or something simular thanks for any ideas this did not happern untill i went on the programs site all i can do is shut of with the main button

regards Dave Hoskins

I always play the right notes but not always in the right order
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Dave,

We could use some more information.

1. What is the site from which you are trying to get the program?
2. What antivirus and malware programs are you using?
3. When did you last update those programs?
4. When did you last run complete scans?
5. Firefox has a pretty good popup blocker. Is it on?

Sorry I don't have an immediate answer for you, but we should be able to figure something out.

Richard

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Site may not be set up for a simple leftclick to download, or perhaps it is your computer setup, but try RightClicking on it and select, "SaveTarget As" or the likes, as it sounds like it is trying to load as a website and not a download.

--Mac

Mac #166211 07/19/12 05:01 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
More of a key here is where you are going to download, and what you are downloading. Typically download sites that offer the "hot stuff" are filled with spawning windows that want to trick you into downoading junk. I would go to malwarebytes.org, download Malwarebytes, and run it to clean any malware. A virus does damage. Spyware is just annoying doing things like hijacking browsers and such.

Main thing is to make sure you download only from reputable sites.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
We had a client tell us tonight that their site is infected; please help take it off-line for us if you can ...
coincidence?
Basstirds get more evasive every day ...

I've tracked infections to ads served on yahoo etc ... they can come from anywhere. My first instinct is an infection and, like Eddie suggested, a scan with said software is a good start especially if done in safe mode with most recent definition update.
Be safe first.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #166213 07/20/12 07:33 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Wait a minute here Mr Harvey. Do we AGREE on something??? Is that even permitted with me being in The Buckeye Nation and you being in that state up north?

And here I was all prepared to blame his spyware infection on you....

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well, I got a feeling it'll be a day or two until we hear from OP..
does that answer your question?

One of my favorite memories of high-in-the-middle-and-round-on-both-ends follows

I was cruising to Cedar Point, and I was staying in traffic with everybody else doing about 4-5 mph over. In my mirror I see the flashers .. get pulled over (apparently for being from out of state) and the officer says I either have to go pay the ticket now at the station, spend the night in jail, or supply a bond card.
I explain I'm on vacatation with the family; can't we handle it some other way?
He says "don't you have a bond card, like AAA or something?"
Well yeah! I have a AAA card. So I'm good to go.

I get in the car and the wife asks what happened in the patrol car, so I told her.
She turned red as can be and said "Honey, I cancelled AAA last month and changed insurance companies".
Of course I didn't turn around and go back to find the officer .. I just sent the money to AAA when they sent me a nastygram.
Only place I had ever had a worse experience with a cop was Niagara Falls, and that was downright extorion, but I digress.

rharv #166215 07/20/12 09:08 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Only place I had ever had a worse experience with a cop was Niagara Falls, and that was downright extorion, but I digress.

aw, come on. Digress out loud so we can hear.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Just to add to the virus issue, I ran a complete scan yesterday because I got worried when my desktop icons were all jumbled up with the wrong icon attached to the wrong programmes.
The computer has been glitchy as well so I thought I'd just check it out.

A spyware called a keylogger was found. It was attached to a fee VST I downloaded several months ago from KVR Audio.

In case anyone else has downloaded this, the VST was FMMF,(a DX7 software synth).

I really,really despise hackers. Over 7 hours wasted on scans and sorting icons.

AARGH!!!

yjoh

[i]Music...a joy for life.
yjoh #166217 07/20/12 11:43 PM
Off-Topic
J
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
Hi

i downloaded and brouht malwarebytes and ran a full scan and it found over 700 malware objects after spending the evening getting rid of these it still did not make any difference to my download problem that will be taken care of by a direct download that does not go through the system trhanks for evertbodys help but i still dobn`t know how to find out whats wrong with microsoft internet exployer as nothing shows up on the virus scan, i proved it was my computer that was at fault and not the program site i was trying to download from

regards Dave Hoskins

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Hi

i am trying to down load a program i go on to the site and try to start the down load and all i get is loads of internet exployer pages up to 30pages one after another and im not even in internet exployer im using chrome,firefox or safari and i can`t stop this happerning do you think this is a virus or something simular thanks for any ideas this did not happern untill i went on the programs site all i can do is shut of with the main button

regards Dave Hoskins

Yes, you have a Trojan.
I had this last week after accessing the Marshall Amps forum (of all place). If I opened IE9 I got splattered. I have NOD32 anti Virus and it found and quarantined the Trojan but not before it had switched off part of NOD32, so it kept re-spawning and being quarantined. Scary. This was on my laptop and not my music PC thank goodness. I emailed the issue to NOD32 but then thought about Window restore points. Luckily I had a restore point to two hours before and I activated that, after which all was well. See if that helps, as it's obviously impractical to go onto the net to get CCleaner for example. (Unless you have a second, clean machine and can load it from a USB stick to the infected machine).

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pay attention to the part about scanning in Safe Mode. Makes a huge difference in whether the trojan gets completely removed.

Start machine and tap the F8 key; you have to hit it right before the windows logo shows, so I just tap it repeatedly when I know it's coming soon.

Then select 'safe mode with no network'
Then scan.
This prevents anything but basic windows components from starting. Your screen will look bad, and it may be a bit cumbersome to find menus .. but this way the virus doesn't get a chance to start up and hide copies of itself so it can load again later.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
I recently repaired a Toshiba Win 7 laptop for a young couple. It would neither boot into Windows nor recognize the "magic key" combination that would allow the restoration from the backup partition. In addition, they foolishly had not created an emergency restore Dvd. After checking the laptop with the Karpasky Rescue 10 CD, I discovered they had numerous malware problems, including the rather difficult "Rootkit Boot.Pihar.b" infection.

Since they did not want to order the restore CDs available from Toshiba and they chiefly used the laptop for online activities as well as the storage of digital images and music, I backed up their important data (2-3 Gb of pictures, docs, and mp3s) so nothing would be lost, installed the newly released Mint 13, and gave it back to them. The last time I checked, they were very happy to have the laptop working again and did not seem to mind not having Windows.

JBlatz
Off-Topic
J
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J

Hi

i also purchased PC utility kit after i ran a scan there was over 2800 items at the finish the program cleaned my computer of all these problems without success i still have the same problem allthough i can download of any other site apart from the one i need but they said they would set up a download by passing there program

regards Dave Hoskins

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If you think you have a virus, spyware and such run the Security Tango, http://securitytango.com/
All of these are free programs and I have had very good success when I work on other’s computers using this method. Do not take any short cuts. Just follow the instructions and all should be good to go. At least that has been my experience.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
IMO the BEST thing to use is Kaspersky Rescue Disc.You make a bootable CD, on another machine,and then set the infected machine to boot from the CD drive.The disc is a Linux based OS with the antimalware program. This way nothing about Windows starts. Works very well.Very easy to use .You don't need to know anything about Linux just follow the yellow brick road.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
J
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
Hi

i have moved on a bit over the last weekend i have been given a download that worked and ihave finally got my program, what i have found out that explorer 9 has a fault on my computer it can`t handle zip files, i have been looking for malwear or a virus and it looks as though its not one or the other has anybody else noticed this and how can you get rid of it i have decided to up grade to windows 7 but i dont know if this will cure the problem any ideas thanks for all the help and sugestions
regards Dave Hoskins

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Download Winrar and it will handle any archived file you get other than 7zip files.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Winrar is good, but my personal preference is 7zip... Much of a muchness really, but you don't get nag screens with 7zip.

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!
Off-Topic
J
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
HI

i have replaced Vista with widows 7 and i am very impressed with the sound of BIAB it is a great improvment over Vista and i am very plkeased with it

regards Dave Hoskins

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,513
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195