Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Post your own Tips and Tricks here
Veteran
Veteran
What I hate the most is people with hearing aids at a dinner party sit closest to the PA system and keep waving your sound down. Then those at the back bring you a beer and complain they can't hear the 'background' music. The wife doesn't amp her flute and they say she plays too loud. Wow. It they weren't war vets I'd just not play there, but twice a year they call so I made cards and put them on the front tables, WARNING, IT MAY BE A BIT LOUD HERE! That seems to have worked a bit.

I'm thinking Bose is the way to go but the daughter needs some uncovered eye laser thing for conical eyes, to the tune of 5g's so there goes my walking around cash.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Quote:

... so I made cards and put them on the front tables, WARNING, IT MAY BE A BIT LOUD HERE! That seems to have worked a bit.

Another possible sign: "WARNING: IF IT'S TOO LOUD, YOU'RE TOO OLD!".

;-)

Visit the Elegance Music page on MySpace for samples of my current work.
Veteran
Veteran
Hey I resemble that remark....

John Conley
Musica est vita
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

... so I made cards and put them on the front tables, WARNING, IT MAY BE A BIT LOUD HERE! That seems to have worked a bit.

Another possible sign: "WARNING: IF IT'S TOO LOUD, YOU'RE TOO OLD!".

;-)

Huuuuhhhh . . . I guess it's too loud for me also.

Later,

M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
I simply don't accept solo gigs if I know the crowd is going to be rowdy.

Mike Laatz
Cape Town
Veteran
Veteran
Mike,

I Know what you mean . . . For that an other reasons I do not play weddings.

Later,

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
We book weddings.

But we also let it be known in advance that should a fight break out, the band is very likely to join in!

And win.

Another good use for the Japanese Fender Tele w/Rock Maple neck and Ash body if there ever was one, the martial arts options should be well studied and practiced, dojo style until the guitarist has mastered the Body Held Headstock Jab, the Neck Held Full Slam and the Neck Held Battleaxe Edge moves, at least. Save the Tuners Across the Eyeballs rake for the serious afficionados of the sport...

Always set the B3 up facing the crowd, so that if he's in front of you when he calls you out, you can just reach underneath the keyboards wih both hands and flip about 500 lbs of hardwood and steel organ right on top of him. It won't hurt the B. At least, it hasn't to date and I've had that thing a looong time...

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Wooh! So you still have real John Wayne type bar room brawls across there in the States! Wooping and a fighting amid the mud and the sweat and the tears! Great!

Call me!

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Be careful, Sam, you might get what you wish for.

I was just joking.

So don't use it to stereotype. 'K?

thanks

--Mac

Expert
Expert
Citaat:

We book weddings.

But we also let it be known in advance that should a fight break out, the band is very likely to join in!

And win.

Sure thing. Why should the all fun be only for the audience?

Expert
Expert
Citaat:

Always set the B3 up facing the crowd, so that if he's in front of you when he calls you out, you can just reach underneath the keyboards wih both hands and flip about 500 lbs of hardwood and steel organ right on top of him. It won't hurt the B. At least, it hasn't to date and I've had that thing a looong time...

Don't forget to clean it with a damp cloth after the gig. You don't want to start the next gig with stains already on it

Now I know where those "X"-es you carved on the side stand for

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Wooh! So you still have real John Wayne type bar room brawls across there in the States! Wooping and a fighting amid the mud and the sweat and the tears! Great!

Call me!

Ahhhh Mud, Sweat and Tears, I used to love that group.

Later,

Apprentice
Apprentice
First, I'm not a Bose or a Yamaha representative but I've spent a bit of time recently looking into my first PA for solo and group giging and I've found a product that I think solves this exact problem you're having.

I'm taking the advice of others here and at other forums and I'll be buying the Bose portable PA. I'm leaning more toward the model II with tonematch engine over the model 1, although it certainly isn't as cheap as other brands/models (or the model 1 for that matter), but it's a different animal -- it's not designed the same as other PA's (check it out at http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop...match_pkg.jsp).

The model-1 system is cheaper but the model 2 has some features I couldn't (didn't want to) live without. The model-1 is actually on sale right now direct from Bose and you end up getting the first bass unit for free (up until 6/30/2010). Check it out at http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop...single_pkg.jsp.

I mention this to you because I've tested it live and this I've found the Bose to be a totally unique PA in that it's actually designed to be placed behind you (not in front of you) and without feedback. You can, but you do not need to have any monitors since you're hearing the same thing your audience is hearing (you're hearing it before they do and hence, your crowd noise isn't a problem anymore). Also, anything you'd want to adjust (including a one-touch sound effects feature) can be done on the spot using the T1 (tonematch) panel and this can either be mounted directly on the speaker unit or alternatively on a mic stand.

Aside from the fact it's portable and I'll be able to port it around myself, it's everything I need for a solo act or even a small ensemble (and again, it's positioned behind me, not out front). They also offer additional bass modules (both models come with one but you can add up to four and they recommend two or more for bass guitars, drums, etc.).

I have seen documentation from Bose which shows a typical band usage where they use one L1 setup for each instrument / section (one for piano and bass, one for drums / percussion, one for bass guitar, one for lead guitar, etc.) and each unit is placed near (but behind) each musician. However, unless each musician in your group is willing to shell out his/her own cash for their own unit, this in my opinion would be cost prohibitive -- although for me, it doesn't matter what 'group' I'm gigging with, nevertheless I'll have my own system and I won't even need an engineer as I can instantly hear and process my own performance independent of the group (although it does provide the capability to patch if you do have a sound guy/gal on a separate board).

You can get more details for the model-1 and see some more reviews here:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bose-L1-Model-II-System?sku=600095

BTW based on my comparisons, I will be buying the Bose over another 'portable', the Yamaha STAGEPAS 500 Portable PA system. I did test the Yamaha and although it was impressive, it doesn't have near the clarity or features that the Bose does and the Bose can always be upgraded to suite your needs.

There's seems to be lots of argument between Bose and Yamaha people about their choice of PA system, but one of the reasons I chose the Bose is the ability to play 'out front' which I feel could potentially eliminate the problem you're experiencing. There have been arguments that the Yamaha (designed the same as most others), does cover low frequency better than the Bose, but having tested both brands I can attest that this is not necessarily true, as the Bose does provide for expansion by simply adding more bass units.

Ike
Apprentice
Apprentice
It's an expensive investment, but I bought a Bose L-1 with the T1 Tonematch mixer. This thing cuts through any volume level and makes BIAB sound fantastic; pluse its easy to haul around. It has a usb in/out so I can use my computer with great sound reproduction (sometimes I just use mp3's I've transfered to my iphone. There's hardly any feedback problems so you can put it right next you. Oh, and that acoustic bass realtrack is out of this world!

Mike

Productor Musical
Productor Musical
Cita:

Mike,

I Know what you mean . . . For that an other reasons I do not play weddings.

Later,

I am with you and Mike. My favorite question to just married who is looking me for play the party is 'against who you married?' . At first they look puzzled, then laugh and say ' ha ha ..you are the man...hired!'

Gabriel Arellano,
Nucleox Music
Veteran
Veteran
For what it is worth . . . . . The following information is from my website, please keep in mind that for the most part it is directed to Activity Directors in Retirement Communitles as they often have issues with one or more entertainer's music volume. However my experiences have taught me that no matter where the gig in most cases you can still breakdown your audiences into these three categories.

To avoid any pit falls in executing a successful event make sure you and your entertainment are on the same page when it comes to just what is expected from your act at each particular event, and music volume is a very intricate part of this equation.

Over the years I have come to learn that most party-goers can be broken down into the three categories which are listed below. I have also included what experience has taught me is a pretty accurate description of what each categoery expects from the entertainment at a cocktail party or dance.

Social Visitors: They like to hear the music in the background, but still be able to hold their personal conversations at normal speaking volume over the music. They expect the music to enhance the mood of their visit and conversation, period. They are usually the first to let you know when the music is “too loud”.

Listeners: They like to listen to the music in its entirety at a comfortable listening volume. They are usually into the music and will hold their conversations in-between tunes on breaks. This group very seldom complains about music volume, that is unless it is ”really loud” although they have been known to complain about loud conversations around them. However most of the time they will just find a seat closer to the performer or band to better hear the music or see the act.

Dancers: They not only like to hear the music, they like to feel it as well. So while the volume for this group maybe acceptable for the “Listeners” as well it may be a bit too loud for the “Social Visitor”. This group will be the first to fill the tables closest to the band and dance floor. If this group complains about the music “being too loud”, it is too loud!

When booking entertainment, besides checking out references and past reviews, always let them know up-front what you expect in the way of genre selection and volume. But at “party time” try to keep in mind that with the exception of dinner and small venue cocktail parties, most parties will be made up of all three-category partygoers listed above. So your function, “on it’s own” may very well take on a different mood than what you intended. With this said any professional performer worth their salt will err on the side of lower volume at the start of the performance and will adjust volume accordingly based upon audience and the booking agent’s feedback and response. And by response I don’t necessarily mean a “stage visit” from anyone in particular, all though don’t rule that out as I have heard some acts that just blew my ear drums out. What I mean is that by monitoring the general reaction and response of the crowd as the party goes along, the professional entertainer should know how and when to adjust his/her volume.

So don’t be alarmed if you get one or two guest who complains about music volume while you have the majority of your guest listening and/or dancing. That is unless that complaining guest is paying the bills then you can throw these rules out of the window!

Expert
Expert
Citaat:

Social Visitors: They like to hear the music in the background, but still be able to hold their personal conversations at normal speaking volume over the music. They expect the music to enhance the mood of their visit and conversation, period. They are usually the first to let you know when the music is “too loud”.

Listeners: They like to listen to the music in its entirety at a comfortable listening volume. They are usually into the music and will hold their conversations in-between tunes on breaks. This group very seldom complains about music volume, that is unless it is ”really loud” although they have been known to complain about loud conversations around them. However most of the time they will just find a seat closer to the performer or band to better hear the music or see the act.

Dancers: They not only like to hear the music, they like to feel it as well. So while the volume for this group maybe acceptable for the “Listeners” as well it may be a bit too loud for the “Social Visitor”. This group will be the first to fill the tables closest to the band and dance floor. If this group complains about the music “being too loud”, it is too loud!

It's the listeners and the dancers (and or sing-along folks) I do my thing for. If people don't want to participate, that's fine with me. If the volume bothers you you can always go a couple of meters to the back of the room where the volume is at conversation level.

The "social Visitors" (read: "Hey, I don't care if you're hired by the married couple to play music at their wedding. I just want to enjoy my free food and drinks and have a quite conversation. I don't give a duck that the married couple likes to see a filled dance-floor and people singing along and having a good time. I don't like that sort of thing. Period. And yes, I must sit right in front of your speakers. And now turn that thing down.")

I once had a very anti-social social visitor. He kept on complaining the volume was too loud (remaining his seat which he had put right in front of my speakers!) and requesting that I would take a break. I told him that I was actually getting paid to be there whereas he had to buy his way into that party. I asked him who would be missed more if one of us was to leave at that moment ....

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199