Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

I don't think that number is even REMOTELY close to the truth and it flies in the face of everything I've ever read and the documentaries I've seen.

Unless you have confined your reading and viewing to literature and videos approved and blessed by the League of the South,it is hard to believe that EVERYTHING you have encountered says otherwise. The is a considerable body of work out there that says otherwise.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
KeithS #169545 08/11/12 10:29 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
We needn't go back 150 years to find rape and torture to be common among so-called "civilized" people but we need not go there. I have mentioned it on these forums several times before and it only serves to keep old wounds open. The scary fact is...it's still happening today!

Conquerors have always considered the enemy's women as fair game, the so-called "spoils of war," but history books avoid those facts as unsuitable reading for their "more civilized" audiences. Poppycock, given the slightest provocation, those same readers have turned into bloodthirsty animals. Since nearly 95% of rapes are never reported, according to psychologists, if you have exposed a hundred, that's but the tip of the iceberg.

Imagine a soldier, charged-up on adrenaline and testosterone, capturing Atlanta and, lacking any command restraints or conscience, and possibly just moments before seeing his best friend decapitated, he finds the women of the enemy. He feels compelled to humiliate his enemy even further by a wrathful act against his women.

It's a sad fact of life known as "war hysteria." Anyone wanting proof that mass rape of innocent, defenseless women, perpetrated by "civilized people" is going on full tilt and totally unabated, things censored from your nightly news, is welcome to PM me for details.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
There has been rape in all war but it is Confederate Propoganda that Sherman encouraged it to happen in the ACW. There is sa ton of unfounded myth passed around now as fact ever since the kennedys wrote The South is right, which is the biggest single piece of propaganda trash ever written.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Great points Don.

KeithS #169548 08/11/12 11:33 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Keith,

Quote:

Unless you have confined your reading and viewing to literature and videos approved and blessed by the League of the South,it is hard to believe that EVERYTHING you have encountered says otherwise.

I have no reason to lie about that Keith, especially since I totally reject the Confederate assertion that secession was about States Rights. It was because the Confederate leaders were trying to further spread the abomination of slavery.

It’s not like I’ve been studying the Civil War, so I hadn’t encountered the view that rape was rare in the CW until today. I googled “rape in the American Civil War” and sure enough there are those who are trying to perpetuate that idea, (although, ... with all due respect, it's a ridiculous idea).

I also ran across an interesting article in the New York Times entitled “Rape and the Civil War” from 3 years ago. I doubt if the NYT is approved by the “League Of The South”, but here’s an excerpt:

Quote:

In fact, the University of North Carolina historian writes, “hundreds, perhaps thousands of women suffered rape” during the war, with many assaults likely unreported. But her focus is less rape itself than the threat of sexual predation by northern troops. Did reality match the fear of assault felt by Scarlett O’Hara in “Gone With the Wind”?

Feimster explores an 1862 order by the Union Gen. Benjamin Butler, decreeing that any New Orleans woman showing contempt for his occupying troops “shall be regarded and held liable to be treated as a woman of the town plying her avocation” — i.e., the city’s outspokenly Confederate belles were to be treated as prostitutes. Feimster sifts evidence that the order was a green light for Union soldiers to threaten sexual violence if not commit rape itself.

After President Abraham Lincoln ignored calls to rescind the order and it was applied beyond the city, she concludes, its geographical reach “ensured that the threat of sexual violence and the fear of rape were common to southern women and central to how they experienced the Civil War.”

I had forgotten about the "Beast Butler", (aka Union Gen. Benjamin Butler), until reading the article this morning, but recalled it from a documentary on the History Channel.

Obviously we could both post opposing excerpts, but for me it comes down to the fact that I find it inconceivable that rape wasn’t widespread, especially during the Union’s implementation of the “Total War” strategy.

So I guess we need to agree to disagree.

Take care.

Off-Topic
Rob4580 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Wow!!

All I can say is that Im overwhelmed at the results to the question posed.

I would like to thank you all for keeping cool heads in regards to differing opinions.
Thank you also for the great response and spirited points of view.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Rob,

Look what you stirred up!

The CW was over about 150 years ago, but opinions about it are alive and well!

Just make sure you write a d*mn good song! Hehe.

Off-Topic
Rob4580 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Rob if you're interested in the Civil War watch the documentary by Ken Burns. It's long but it's brilliant.

Hello Sundance.
I have seen that documentary twice now and that is what sparked my interest in the Civil War.
What I most enjoyed about the documentary was the stories from the simple regular soldier on the ground from both sides.

Stories from woman, slaves and the beautiful tunes that where written and rewritten for the times.

There has never been a civil war in my country and Im thankful for that.
Lets hope it all leeds to better times in the future although war never seems to become outdated.

If I continue with this project I hope I have your permission to draw on some of your ideas.

Last edited by Rob4580; 08/11/12 05:30 PM.
Off-Topic
Rob4580 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Ive decided to try and write this song from the perspective of the regular soldier and maybe based around the battle of Bullrun as that seems to be the battle that kicked it all off.

If I cant do it justice I wont continue on with the project.

Thank you all for your wonderful stories and feelings.
Please continue with your post as you are helping to develop the feel of the song.

Regards Rob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Rob,

Quote:

Hostilities began on April 12, 1861, when Confederate forces fired on a U.S. military installation at Fort Sumter in South Carolina. Lincoln responded by calling for a volunteer army from each state to recapture federal property, which led to declarations of secession by four more slave states. Both sides raised armies as the Union seized control of the border states early in the war and established a naval blockade. Land warfare in the East was inconclusive in 1861–62, as the Confederacy beat back Union efforts to capture its capital, Richmond, Virginia, notably during the Peninsular Campaign. In September 1862, the Confederate campaign in Maryland ended in defeat at the Battle of Antietam, which dissuaded the British from intervening.[3] Days after that battle, Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation, which made ending slavery a war goal.[

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War

That Wiki page is a great source of information.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I've actually seen this referenced by the Leauge of the South. They love this stuff.

Quote:

In fact, the University of North Carolina historian writes, “hundreds, perhaps thousands of women suffered rape” during the war, with many assaults likely unreported. But her focus is less rape itself than the threat of sexual predation by northern troops. Did reality match the fear of assault felt by Scarlett O’Hara in “Gone With the Wind”?

Feimster explores an 1862 order by the Union Gen. Benjamin Butler, decreeing that any New Orleans woman showing contempt for his occupying troops “shall be regarded and held liable to be treated as a woman of the town plying her avocation” — i.e., the city’s outspokenly Confederate belles were to be treated as prostitutes. Feimster sifts evidence that the order was a green light for Union soldiers to threaten sexual violence if not commit rape itself.

After President Abraham Lincoln ignored calls to rescind the order and it was applied beyond the city, she concludes, its geographical reach “ensured that the threat of sexual violence and the fear of rape were common to southern women and central to how they experienced the Civil War.”

You chose not to include the sentence right before this which shoots down your claim that everything you ever read says otherwise, since we encounter a reference to those DO who say otherwise:

Quote:

But in the academic journal Daedalus, Crystal N. Feimster begs to differ with historians who “have accepted without question the idea that Union soldiers rarely raped southern women, black or white, and have argued that sexual violence was rare during the Civil War.

The reference to General Butler's order in New Orleans is often quoted and delibertely mistinterepted to make the union look bad. Butler had ordered his men to be respectful and treat the women of New Orleans as ladies. The women of New Orleans however did not return that respect. What riled Gen Butler was one day when a woman threw the contents of a chamber pot on him. His orders were that when women behaved like that, they were not to be treated as ladies but like the common whores on the street. That didn't mean they were supposed to rape them as the propogandists would have us believe, but that they were not to be shown the common manners and courtesy due to a lady. Unless you think that it was okay to rape prositutues. That certainly wasn't the case either.

Keith
KeithS #169555 08/11/12 06:52 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Jeez Keith! Did you miss the part where I suggested that we agree to disagree???

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Rob, I am anxious to hear your musical interpretation of the American CW. I suggest that you follow the links to Tom Rouch's music along with those of Stephen Foster to get a feel for the somber mood of the period. Foster's I Dream Of Jeannie tugged at the heartstrings of both sides.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Jeez Keith! Did you miss the part where I suggested that we agree to disagree???

Nope. I was still disagreeing. I thought we agreed to do that.

Keith
KeithS #169558 08/13/12 10:27 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

As Larry the cable guy would say, "now that's funny I don't care who you are".

Later,

KeithS #169559 08/13/12 11:40 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

Danny's right. That was funny.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Wow.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Warning: The CCC (Crazy Cantankerous Canuck) is awake already and spoiling for trouble.

It's hard not to love the guy. Maybe just ignore him and he'll crawl back into his hollow log until medication time.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195