Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#16974 03/13/09 08:26 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
OP Offline
BiaB has many powerful features but we all know that notation is not amongst them . I still need a notation program to give the lead sheets the final touch (I use Finale PrintMusic). Exchange of stuff between the two programs would be greatly enhanced by the support of MusicXML in BiaB. MusicXML includes many features (chord symbols, text elements, repeat signs, to name a few) which MIDI does not. I'd love to see MusicXML import and export in one of the nxt releases of BiaB.

Thanks for considering
Heinz ....

hochsner #16975 03/13/09 09:26 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
+1

Music XML export from BIAB, certainly. That would help a lot.

This has been discussed here in the past. Peter Gannon commented that it would be a good feature to have. That was maybe two years ago, and I don't recall it being mentioned more than once since.

ps Welcome to the forum!

I can't quite tell from the avatar, but is that a Monette mouthpiece you're playing on? I'm a brass player, too (I use Warburton mouthpieces).

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Matt Finley #16976 03/15/09 08:34 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
OP Offline
Hi Matt,

Thanks for commenting. On the moutpiece: It's quite a while this foto has been taken, I guess I still played the "Yamaha 'Bobby Shew' Lead". These days I am playing Marcinkiewicz E14.1 (fairly wide and shallow cup).

Regards, Heinz ...

hochsner #16977 03/18/09 01:18 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Journeyman
Journeyman
Add my vote, please, for XML.

It is a real shame not to have such a useful feature that should be fairly easy to add on. It could make BiaB attractive to a new type of customer -- one who isn't interested now, because the printed output is sub-professional.

Larry
______
allis #16978 03/20/09 10:34 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I'm not so sure it would be easy. During beta testing of Encore 5, a notation program I've used for twenty years, there were several discussions with the developers about the difficulties of implementation. The end result was a partial implementation, with bugs.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
hochsner #16979 11/05/09 06:46 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
M
M
+1

Indeed a missing feature by nowadays standards...

Teo

Matteo Elli #16980 11/05/09 07:54 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
One of the cool new things about NoteWorthy Composer 2 (the notation program) is the "user tools" feature. It's currently limited to single staffs (but that may change), but it lets you copy everything (or a snippet) from a staff to the clipboard as textual representations of what NWC displays and interprets on the staff. User tools let you take that information from the clipboard and write whatever program you want to around it and either use it externally, or paste the changes back to the staff. For example, NWC doesn't natively support chord notation, so we have to implement it as text elements. That's fine until you decide to transpose to a different key. Transposing the notes and key signature is not a problem (it does it automatically), but the textual chord letters obviously stay the same. So one enterprising coder wrote a user tool to transpose those textual chord entries. One command and now the chord entries you typed in match the notes you just transposed.

Likewise, there is also a user tool to create a MusicXML export of what's on the staff, which can then be imported into other programs that understand the MusicXML format.

User tools has really opened NWC up to new features that otherwise would not be available. There are now several new features to the program that didn't come from the developer, but from the users themselves.

Maybe Lawrie can chime in, as I believe he has done some user tools himself.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
jford #16981 11/05/09 08:25 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
G'day John,
drop me in it why doncha?

Lots of user developed tools, perhaps too many to mention quickly, and all oriented towards the notation side of things of course. My favourites are:
Global_Mod
Parts
Transpose Text chord
MakeChord
MultiBar Rest
and the ever useful Variable Dump.

The names are pretty self explanatory but if anyone wants additional details, just ask.

As for MusicXML, there are a couple of options, but the most promising opportunity in this direction is the implementation of the nwctxt format. This is an export file from NWC2 that contains a textual version of the complete NWC work. It is not limited to a single staff. This text file can be manipulated in any way the user wants, using simple things like a search and replace with a text editor to programs designed to manipulate the file according to specific rules. This could easily be used to create a MusicXML transfer utility. I believe there are a couple of users already looking into this. For myself, my meager programming skills aren't up to it.

There is already one MusicXML import utility that works quite well, but this tool does not need the nwctxt file. Rather it was created before that file format was defined and creates the work directly into an open instance of NWC2. I've often used it to import from MusicXML files created by SharpeEye 2.

Normal user tools can be written in any language capable of running in console mode. To my knowledge tools have been written in Perl, php, python, VBScript (WScript), JScript, java, and there's even one that has been compiled into an executable.

At least one user copies to TSE (The Semware Editor, the successor to QEdit) and then uses preprogrammed macros to manipulate the text and then copies the result back into NWC2.

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!
Lawrie #16982 11/05/09 08:31 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Sorry, Lawrie, forgot about NWCTXT format. I was thinking more about the clipboard format. But for both, it opens a lot of opportunities for folks to create their own utilities, features, and capabilities.

It would be nice if other music applications had a similar facility. That would go a long way towards bridging the gap between different applications.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
jford #16983 02/12/10 07:06 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
G
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
G
I hope this is the right place to vote on a wishlist item. I'd also like to ask for an XML import to BIAB. Then I could read Finale leadsheet files, add my own solos, and create notation for everything.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,475
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195