Go To
#17056 03/14/09 07:10 AM
Off-Topic
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
I am thinking of buying the Dell Inspire mini 9 running linux, to play midi files thru a ketron sd2, which will then go into a PA system for backing tracks. Has anyone tried this or has feedback if this will work?

The dell mini 9 is small and the stage footprint will not take up much room. I play sax and akai 400s windsynth.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
i will give it a shot later today when I move the ketron to the midi box. It means that the edirol usb to midi thing has to work too, if that works then I suspect the ketron will be fine.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I would suspect that your biggest issue is not whether the Ketron works or not, since MIDI is MIDI, no matter what the OS is, but whether or not you'll be able to find an interface that has drivers for MIDI in Linux.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Thanks for the help. I forgot that drivers are also needed. I was hoping that it was just a plug and play.

Off-Topic
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
You're correct on that issue. I will be curious to see if john is able to get his attempt to work.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
If John's experiment works out, it is still not a guarantee that same would work out on a Dell. Dell is, well, Dell. They don't have a stellar track record when it comes to music making programs. Some will and other models won't.

--Mac

Off-Topic
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Thanks Mac, any suggestions on what would be a good setup?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've just looked at M-Audio, and the Audiophile 2496 PCI card DOES have Linux/Unix drivers for it, but I don't know if they support the MIDI interface. The stand alone MIDI boxes do not, so you'll need to find something that will support the Linux OS.

Good Luck.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Dell Inspire mini 9 is a mini laptop.

Can't install a PCI card like the Delta in there.

I'd first try using the onboard soundcard for the realtracks and realdrums and a USB MIDI connector to get to the SD2.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I don't know enough about Linux to find an interface that'll work. The M-Audio stuff doesn't support Linux/Unix, at least as far as the USB ports are concerned.

There were some people who were modifying the old Midiman (now M-Audio) Midisports to work with Linux, but that seemed to be a firmware change, meaning that it would be hard to go back.

Others were using the Roland UX-1EM with a sequencer without drivers, and it worked.

I don't know, I think it's going to be tough to run it with Linux, unless you run Windows inside of Linux.

Gary

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have a Sony Vaio laptop running Ubuntu 7 - Gutsy Gibbon

Open Applications - Terminal

$ aplaymidi -l (hit enter)
gives..
Port Client name Port name
14:0 Midi Through Midi Thru

Now I plug in the Edirol UM1 and repeat
and

Port Client name Port name
14:0 Midi Through Midi Thru
20:0 UM-1 UM-1 Midi

I played a midi file through my JV 1010 external midi device and it worked fine. I did not need to download firmware as some suggest. SO caveat, if your usb2 port recognizes the UM1 you are good to go. I would buy a UM1 and take it to the store and run the above test.

If I get time in the next few days I'll record the JV1010 and the ketron on the save file and post the output.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Coolbeans, John!

Thanks,

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I am running the upgrade to ubuntu as we speak it projects an hour to dowload and reconfigure. I will recheck the midi connection. Then I will try band in a box under wine. Or if I do it after supper I might do it with and under wine, but I gotta take the ride to the mechanic cause some coolant is leaking that freaky green colour and I just had the engine changed so something is amiss....

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
John,
I'm glad you were able to get the Roland to work in Ubuntu.

I hope the coolant leak is a very small issue, easily fixed, and not the harbinger of something more serious.

Gary

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Somehow or other I don't think ya want to be the mechanic who forgot to tighten the hoseclamp on John's engine.

just sayin'...

--Mac

Off-Topic
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
I would like to thank eveyone for their knowledge, help and assistance in answering my question if it would work. I am definitely going to buy the um1-ex midi/usb interface with sd2.

Thanks again to all,
Patrick

p.s. John, I hope the leak is not anything serious on your car.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
So I tested the UM-1 on ubuntu gutsy gibbon and it worked fine.
I upgraded to ubuntu 8.10 Hardy Heron and that was not fun, I should have read the forums first and realized I should have waited a bit, however after an hour of tweaking it's working.
And I can confirm that the kmidi player works the same and the UM-1 works fine.

I am seeing that people are operating Microsoft Office without problems in Wine so I'm going to give Band in a Box a shot too. With Open Office I've never bothered with Microsoft Office, but I guess some people have corporate stuff that needs that software...anyway....

I would suggest if you have ubuntu 7 you wait a while longer to go to 8.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,463
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195