Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
You’ve gotta wonder just how hard it is to make it in the music business after watching this video and listening to the song. (Turn it up.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygo1jQ6Gj...ture=plpp_video

And this interview with her:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C45_EP6HuGM&feature=relmfu

She didn’t make it. … She’s got the voice, the looks, the sexy “strut”, the songwriting ability, (During the 1980s and 1990s, Angelle wrote songs for several country artists including Wynonna Judd, who reached number one on the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks chart in 1991 with "I Saw the Light", co-written by pop singer Andrew Gold.), … , but to reiterate, … she didn’t make it.

I wonder what happened ? Jeez.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Mebbe she din' wan' lay down on that casting couch...

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Mebbe she din' wan' lay down on that casting couch...

I'd say that's a pretty good guess. Especially considering that she's got all of the other stuff going for her.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Maybe ppl thought it sucked. I didnt particularly care for it. Seemed she was trying to hard to be a hard country.., um.. skank.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Maybe ppl thought it sucked. I didnt particularly care for it. Seemed she was trying to hard to be a hard country.., um.. skank.

Have you thought she was doing what the producers told her to do ???

A "skank"? Seriously ???

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
PRearden,

Did you think the SONG sucked???

FWIW, I thought it was a really good song. Lisa Angelle is a really good singer.

You’ve only got 119 posts. If I recall correctly, most of them have been negative.

Is this a continuation of that trend ???????

To call her a "skank" is pretty ridiculous !!! Are you a you a total freakin' idiot, or just a partial freakin' idiot ??? NOTE: There's only 2 choices. Either way, you're a freakin' idiot.

I was just sharing a video and wondering why the singer and songwriter didn't make it in the music biz.

Lighten' up dude, or post a video of you doing a better job than Lisa Angelle did on this post!

Jeez.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
To me it's just a numbers game and who you know, timing, luck, the Lotto, whatever.

I posted several years ago my excursion into the world of music talent websites. To keep it brief I spent the better part of a whole Saturday listening to mostly really well done original songs from all over the world. It was mind blowing how many sites I found and each one had hundreds (thousands?) of individual webpages of the artists with full blown pro level promo shots, vids, the whole bit. Nobody ever heard of them. Oh yeah, a lot of the chicks were really hot too. A lot of the stuff was done at various university studios with literally the best equipment worth millions.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Well Bob, thanks for keeping track of my posts! I'm happy I have better things to do.

I just watched the interview too. I'll stick by my opinion about trying too hard to be a skank... snakes around the neck... interview from bed.

No, I don't like the song. I didn't say I could do better, I'm sure I can't. Doesn't mean this is good though. Obviously the market agrees with me.

The personal attacks are kind of childish for an old man, don't you think? So much for aging with dignity.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Prearden,

It doesn’t matter if you like the song. That’s a matter of personal taste. There’s not a right or wrong opinion.

My issue was with you calling a woman you don’t even know a “skank”. That smells of self righteous right wing bullsh*t.

As far as “aging with dignity”, I’m at the point where I say what I think and I really don’t care what others think of it.

I try to be fair in my comments, but for you to call a woman you don’t know a “skank” based on a video is idiotic and sexist.

I don’t know her either, but she’s a good singer and based on her credentials, she’s a much more successful songwriter than either one of us.

I'll stick with what I said before:

Quote:

To call her a "skank" is pretty ridiculous !!! Are you a you a total freakin' idiot, or just a partial freakin' idiot ??? NOTE: There's only 2 choices. Either way, you're a freakin' idiot.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I made it about 1/2 way through the first video. When they showed the snake around the neck, I quit.

2000 copyright. Country market was still pretty 'clean' 12 years ago. I'm not going to wade into the personal attacks back and forth in the thread, but my guess is that this video was too naughty at the time, and to be honest, her voice has nothing to make her stand out amongst the crowd. Pretty plain honky-tonk party country-rock voice. Do this, turn on the YouTube video, then look away and just listen to the song. IMO - blah. That is likely part of the reason of the non-success. Today's country is full of this kind of stuff. What is it that they say in Texas? "All hat and no cattle" This is kind of a musical equivalent. I'll take Allison Krauss and Union Station any day of the week, or Brad Paisley ripping on the Tele any day but this kind of 'country' is what keeps me away from bothering to listen to country radio. My musical tastes run wide and deep, but most of this kind of stuff is as bothersome to me as any teen pop/dance thing, denigrating rap, etc. Too much great music to listen to before bothering with this stuff. Other examples of someone just doing 'o.k.' and not getting popular simply because it just wasn't worthy of worship: Garth Brooks as Chris whatzhisname?, Shaquille O'Neil as his rap persona, Michael Jordan in the MLB and PGA, etc.

When did Shania Twain come on the scene? I seem to remember there was hub-bub about her showing her midriff in videos and they were much more tame than this, from what I recall. Shania had the nice girl-next-door pretty thing (probably still does), whereas the way that this artist is dressed and the content of the video tried to go somewhere else. I'm not sure 'skank' is the word, but let's just say it's not the 'girl next door' thing! Who knows, she could be pure as the driven snow, but the producers of the video certainly didn't want to portray her that way.

Didn't watch the interview.

From the folks that I know that have been courted by record companies, and one that is insanely successful without a record company deal(Tyler Ward), the promises and the actual delivery of support are far away from each other. Very few get the golden ticket. Without it, back in 2000, it was much harder to gain the notoriety. Today, YouTube itself and the internet can make that situation much different.

I was reminded of this again this past week, as I spent another week in LA-LA-Land, LA and Orange Counties in SOCAL. What my kids know as popular is so much different than when I was a kid, when the media companies outright determined popularity and familiarity to the masses for the most part. Why should I know so many road names in that part of the country, well before I ever stepped foot into the Republic of California for my first time back in the early 2000's? Because I was fed the names of the roads through my favorite TV shows and songs of my youth: Emergency 51, Adam-12, Beach Boys songs, etc. Hollywood on big and small screens, payola based radio play, etc.

Now, put up a goofy video online and if it's funny or talented, there's at least some hope of the viral thing happening. Do both, funny or unique and talented and there's an audience for you.

But for this girl, I think the ho-hum average delivery, and the too hot for 2000 video probably did her in.

Garth Brooks went back to being Garth Brooks, but it wasn't the same....

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
BTW - this girl just raised a million bucks on Kickstarter.com

http://www.kickstarter.com/blog/amandas-million

That's how it's going to go for awhile at least.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Scott,

Now that was a good description of why you didn’t like the song.

Quote:

Do this, turn on the YouTube video, then look away and just listen to the song.

I did do that and still listened to the song several times. I like it a lot, … and you don’t.

That’s okay on both sides.

I just object to calling the lady a “skank”.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
That Kickstarter article is very interesting but did you read the blog posts below it? She quote "already had a massive following" before this project and is married to Neil Gaiman a successful author. She talks on her own blog about years of free gigs, sleeping on the floor at friends houses, online networking, "cloud crowds" to build up the fan base prior to using Kickstarter.

Nothing really new here, it's the usual music biz thing with a new twist, that's all. First, marry well or have rich parents. People have been doing free gigs and sleeping in vans on the side of the road since oh, forever and then a very few will make it, the rest hitch hike home broke and disheartened.

I was watching the new Law and Order a few months ago and Jeff Goldblum who is a very good pianist, is the cop tracking down a wannabe musician killer. The scene is in a small underground NY club where the guy is doing a free show and goes over well and gets nice applause. Goldblum walks up to him and says "good job they really liked you." Then he says this:

"Do you really think you're going to make it? Any idea how many people graduate from music schools all over the world each year? About 50,000 and how many make it to the top worldwide each year? Maybe 5 or 10. 50,000 chasing 10 jobs. Watch this."

He then goes up on stage to the keyboard and plays a nice jazzy blues riff, goes into a quick 8 bar solo and then to a nice ending with a big flourish. The crowd gives him the same ovation they gave the kid. Goldblum walks over to him and says "And I'm a cop."

I remember that dialog exactly because it hits me so close to home. Been there.

Unfortunately, and I really hate to say this, that level of musicianship and talent isn't just a dime a dozen it's more like a penny a hundred. Especially here in LA but I suspect it's the same in any big city.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Quote:

I'll stick with what I said before:

Quote:

First of all, I didn't call her a "skank". I said she was "trying too hard to be a country skank". There is a difference here. A skank can be powerfully successful in modern country music, but it needs to come off naturally. This lady may not have felt comfortable with the persona the producers were trying to push and therefore made it appear unnatural. If she did it right, whether they liked the approach or not, ppl at least would know her name. I cant even remember her name to use it in this post.

Secondly... well forget the rest of it, it's not worth dignifying with a response.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

That smells of self righteous right wing bullsh*t.

That's funny. When I see personal attacks I tend to think of kneejerk left wing fertilizer.

What a woild, what a woild.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Quote:

That Kickstarter article is very interesting but did you read the blog posts below it? She quote "already had a massive following" before this project and is married to Neil Gaiman a successful author. She talks on her own blog about years of free gigs, sleeping on the floor at friends houses, online networking, "cloud crowds" to build up the fan base prior to using Kickstarter.

I did read some of them, and yes, to get THAT kind of support, is going to take some connections. But here's the difference, there are no record companies involved making the decision of success A PRIORI. Look at the graph of the support amounts and the distribution across pledge amounts. Over 9000 people pledged 25$. That was a couple hundred thousand of the support and some major change.

That's not rich friends, that's fans - concert attending, CD buying fans. Over 6,000 pledged 5$. That was 35,000$ of the support.

There were about 1600 backers that contributed $125 or more, for another cool $200,000+. Peel those off, they are the rich folks and the connected 'fans'. She still raised $353,884 from people pledging $50 or less.

That doesn't even count what she/band will make on self-publishing all of the media that they will have available from the project.

Crowd sourcing and having a real fan base is here with us now, and learning how to do it will likely be as or more important than knowing how to grease the skids with record companies in the past.

This guy, Tyler Ward, is a personal acquaintance. I won't call him a friend, because we've probably talked with each other less than an hour total, but I was one of the sound engineers at our church where we had Tyler as one of the band members and worship leaders. I am the one who converted Tyler to in-ear monitor use for his band. https://www.youtube.com/user/tylerwardmusic

He has almost 1,000,000 (that's a million) subscribers to his YouTube channel, with almost 300,000,000 (that's 300 million) views of his videos.

Two years ago, zilch. He did almost all of his social media on his own (with assistance from some local folks - but Tyler's a great stage presence, arranger, recordist, mix engineer, etc. - all on his own) Fan support fanned the flame over the past couple years. I think the last time I mentioned him here he had something like 300,000 subscribers. That was probably 6 months ago.

He is making MAJOR revenue now from YouTube advertisements. Major labels have courted him and he has to date turned them all away. Total control of his tour, who is in his band (all fine guys and girls - they all have been part of the worship team at same church), where he tours, what songs he records, what they will sound like, etc. etc. etc.

All done without one finger lifted of help from a record company. Oh boy they want in on the action, but he is trailblazing without them.

Yes, his story is unique, but no more unique than who record companies single out themselves to be popular, as an a priori decision. Then when they aren't, they drop them like a hot potato.

Many of Tyler's cover songs are more popular than the originals - and for the most part, they ARE better. Done in his home studio in suburban Denver.

Along the way he's brought all kinds of YouTube startups from Colorado and elsewhere along with him. None of them are as big as he is, but many are now getting the revenue from YouTube as they themselves are getting their own on-line fan base in the tens and hundreds of thousands.

Check out his videos, you'll see the links to these other artists that he's helped along.

One thing I can say, is that Tyler has real stage mojo. And if it's fake, he's really good at faking it. Watching him on stage just brings a smile. Sometimes it makes the sound engineer's job hard! I don't know of anyone that I know personally who seems to enjoy his/her job of bringing music to a crowd than Tyler. I think it's part of the success equation for him.

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
An Irish cowboy enters stage left, taps mic then says: "Hey, Dude, zisthingon?"

Frankly, the song AND performance were ho hum. Something that I would never buy. That's the bottom line.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I have to agree after watching both vids....average IMHO....

Skank? I see worse in the adds forced on me by yahoo!

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
PRearden,

I apologize for jumping your case last night. I reacted to you saying this about the girl in the video:

Quote:

Seemed she was trying to hard to be a hard country.., um.. skank.

Two wrongs don’t make a right. I’m sorry for my part in that.

FWIW, the vid is far less "racy" than a lot of commercials and TV shows we see on primetime.

One of the things I really like about the song is that I can envision great improvisational possibilities for acoustic guitar, electric guitar and mandolin in the song over the groove and chord changes.

I can see adding at least a minute to the song to allow for instrumental breaks. I still don’t think that Lisa Angelle is getting her due for her vocal chops, … but that’s JMHO and we’ve all got those.

Take care.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Bob,

I've watched the Law & Order Criminal Intent episode you mentioned a couple of times and was surprised at Jeff Goldblum's chops on the piano.

They also work him playing piano into another episode about ballet dancers.

I don't know if the statistics cited on the show are spot on, ... but they sound accurate, or at least reasonable.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195