Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
My friend loves BIAB and has been telling me to buy it for years. Finally with BIAB having some of its new features I went to buy the $149 basic version Sunday. However at the last minute after filling out a few screens I decided not to make the purchase. Here are my reasons.

** I had a version of CakeWalk that came with my Machine purchase and I tried to do overdubbing on my machine and it would not work and I never resolved it (their support did not assist).

** BIAB has no 30 day trial and I normally only buy software, which has a trial (operating system excepted). To me it is very strange that BIAB does not have a trial to ensure that overdubbing and midi is working.

** Yes Pgmusic says I can return it if I do not like the product but they do not say how long it takes to get my money back (big difference) and I like to see hard evidence that a company stands behind their return policies such as the lineup at the Wallmart return desk (return time depends on the lineup size only). I find it hard to believe an online software sales company will return their product 100% free of hassles when the user could just keep using the product. They would be ripe for abuse unless they have a call home to mother feature like MultiCharts has so they could cut off the use. I have MultiCharts and trust me, we are better off with a free trial feature than an on-line call home to mother feature.

I don’t suppose there is someone out there running the basic $149 BIAB/RB install on this machine.

Thanks,
John

46.6 gig free disk space (should be enough for the basic $149 package I figure)

Motherboard: MSI K9VGM-V
AMD Athlon 64 X 2 Dual
core processor 3600+
1.90 GHz
2.00 GB of Ram Physical address extension.
Running XP Pro Corp with 3rd SP installed.

Device Manager sound:
Audio codecs
Realtek High definition audio

I do not have a midi driver installed for midi input yet but windows C:\WINDOWS\Media .mid files will play.

I realize this is less likely to be important but here it is just incase.
3 monitor setup with the video on the mother board disabled and replaced by these two PCI cards:
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 6200
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
https://www.reverbnation.com/johnbowles
R
Expert
Expert
R
To my knowledge, there is a 30 day trial on all PG products. As far as the refund policy, I have purchased, using a credit card, several RealTrack sets that I was not happy with. After calling PG, the credits appeared on my next credit card statement. I was amazed that they did not even want to know why I was requesting the refund although I told them anyway.

R

Veteran
Veteran
There used to be a demo version but it became impractical because of the size of the RealTracks.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
T
bowlesj,

Have you tried the Cakewalk forum ?

http://forum.cakewalk.com/default.aspx

Which version of Cakewalk you're having ? I'm using X1 Producer. If you're using X1, you can pm me and see if I understand what you wish to do, or head to the forum so more people can help out.

Cheers.

Veteran
Veteran
That's a good suggestion, to try your question on the SONAR forum. Several of us here are on both, but you'll have a better chance there for SONAR questions. Be sure to describe your system and problem in as much detail as possible.

For another approach: BIAB comes with its own DAW called RealBand. It's free with BIAB. That might be all you need for recording.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

My friend loves BIAB and has been telling me to buy it for years. Finally with BIAB having some of its new features I went to buy the $149 basic version Sunday. However at the last minute after filling out a few screens I decided not to make the purchase. Here are my reasons.

** I had a version of CakeWalk that came with my Machine purchase and I tried to do overdubbing on my machine and it would not work and I never resolved it (their support did not assist).

** BIAB has no 30 day trial and I normally only buy software, which has a trial (operating system excepted). To me it is very strange that BIAB does not have a trial to ensure that overdubbing and midi is working.

** Yes Pgmusic says I can return it if I do not like the product but they do not say how long it takes to get my money back (big difference) and I like to see hard evidence that a company stands behind their return policies such as the lineup at the Wallmart return desk (return time depends on the lineup size only). I find it hard to believe an online software sales company will return their product 100% free of hassles when the user could just keep using the product. They would be ripe for abuse unless they have a call home to mother feature like MultiCharts has so they could cut off the use. I have MultiCharts and trust me, we are better off with a free trial feature than an on-line call home to mother feature.

I don’t suppose there is someone out there running the basic $149 BIAB/RB install on this machine.

Thanks,
John

46.6 gig free disk space (should be enough for the basic $149 package I figure)

Motherboard: MSI K9VGM-V
AMD Athlon 64 X 2 Dual
core processor 3600+
1.90 GHz
2.00 GB of Ram Physical address extension.
Running XP Pro Corp with 3rd SP installed.

Device Manager sound:
Audio codecs
Realtek High definition audio

I do not have a midi driver installed for midi input yet but windows C:\WINDOWS\Media .mid files will play.

I realize this is less likely to be important but here it is just incase.
3 monitor setup with the video on the mother board disabled and replaced by these two PCI cards:
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 6200
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS

Well some folks have escaped the pitfall that most people of this day and age fall into. That is distrust of our fellow man. Peter Gannon is a man, and thus his Co., that trusts his fellow man. This speaks volumes!!

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Veteran
Veteran
Not only is Dr.Gannon trust worthy, but his staff and everyone
there I've contacted for one reason or the other are fantastic.

I'm retired, not missing any meals, gotta watch $$$, but their
music products have given me nothing but joy and a great hobby.

Another thing you don't have to pay for other than being polite
and helpful are the outstanding folks on these forums.
Some are Pro's for many years and some like me just try to pay back
a little bit.
I view/use these forums as an invaluable set of tools to help us learn
and enjoy PG products, and of course music.

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Thanks guys.

My version of Cakewalk is pretty old. It came with a Win95 install system but still ran on XP (which is when I finally tried it and started using it after having quit guitar for 22 years and finally coming back to it). Its age is probably why they did not care to support it (even though I may have upgraded if they did). The other thing that happened is I reformatted my drive and re-installed cakewalk and my prior Cakewalk recordings could not be read by the new install. That was one reason I got interested in BIAB because I figured that would not happen with BIAB. I think I am all cakewalked out :-) Hah, it is no piece of cake :-) Sorry, I could not resist.

Being trusting is an interesting phenomena. It tends to begin to end when you start to run across people who can not be trusted and you become their victim. Being a numbers game at heart most people tend to get less trusting as they get older and some are just very lucky. I was tempted to include a new joke but I think I pushed my luck with the last one.

I think offering a free trial of the core engine and maybe one real track is probably all that they would need. Just enough to test all the feature (including notation for exmaple). There is no need to go overboard. It probably would save a lot of labor on returns too for both parties. It is called the "teddy bear" sales technique. Software companies use it because they know it is probably the most powerful marketing technique of all. In my case I figured I would be happy with the program if my machine did not cause a problem (like I said my friend of over 30 years love BIAB so I figure I can't go wrong if it will run that is). It is just that I am in no position to upgrade my machine these days so if it does not run I have no choice but to return it rather than start trying to figure out why and making it run. I am use to creating my own rhythm tracks. LOL - that old cakewalk was a big improvement over what I use to do before computers.

Last edited by bowlesj; 09/04/12 10:28 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
A
Journeyman
Journeyman
A
Just my 2 cents but seems to me you could ask your "friend of 30 years" to try whatever it is that you want to try...or go use his machine if he lives nearby.

Also, questioning biab's return policy and suggesting that they offer a dumbed down demo seems counter-productive. If you can get the FULL program and return it for a refund...which you can...it just doesn't get much better than that.

Best,
Jim

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Yes, you can buy the program, and return it within 30 days for a refund - no questions asked. This has been our policy for 20+ years, and we haven't had problems with it.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
John, here's a thread from six weeks ago started by your namesake asking many questions centered around "Why should I buy Biab?. It may help you.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=370587&an=0&page=3#Post370587

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
R
I just got off the phone with Kent at PG Music. He quickly gave me the answer to a problem that popped up today when I used BIAB. It was easy and painless.

I've benn using BIAB for about 10 years now. I started with the basic program and quickly started adding stuff on. Never a problem that couldn't be fixed. It was usually due to something I did wrong.

There's no way you'll regret getting BIAB. The only caveat...it's addictive.

Enjoy with peace of mind.

Robert

B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Thanks guys,

Do they have a 1-800 number or something?

Okay I have decided to do a test. I will download the $149 version after super, install it, try to figure out within the hour how to get a basic Gma7 chord track out (anything - it does not matter - the simpler and faster the better), then I put my headsets on to hear the track and feed my guitar amp to the Microphone I already have set up which records to Audacity and if I can figure out how to get it to record then figure out how to play back the Gma7 track and my recording then it is a keeper. It is real simple, if it will do this I am pretty sure it will do everything else. So if someone can point me to a real simple tutorial that can get me up and running within an hour to do this test it would be really appreciated.

If this fails then I will return it so I also need to know how to return it before I do the download. Do I email them?

Thanks again,
John

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Do they have a 1-800 number or something?

Of course:

Sales: 1-800-268-6272, 250-475-2874,
+ 800-4746-8742 *

Support: 1-866-983-2474, 250-475-2708,
+ 800-4746-8742 *

Quote:

...try to figure out within the hour how to get a basic Gma7 chord track out (anything - it does not matter - the simpler and faster the better), then I put my headsets on to hear the track and feed my guitar amp to the Microphone I already have set up which records to Audacity and if I can figure out how to get it to record then figure out how to play back the Gma7 track and my recording then it is a keeper.

...If this fails then I will return it, John

John, whats the rush? Unless you have a major case of ADD, take the full 30 days - this program is not trival. Actually BAIB is very powerful and with that power comes complexity which needs to be mastered adn that takes time.

But I have a bigger concern. You have a buddy who has advised, so certainly he told you BIAB is not a replacement for Cakewalk. These are two different applications. While there will be overlap you do understand the fundemental difference between a DAW and the accompaniment capabilites of BIAB, don't you?

B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
I don't think people understand the problem (maybe everyone has a BIAB inferiority complex). The problem has absolutely nothing to do with BIAB in any way shape or form. Trust me I trust BIAB. Like I said, I have a friend who I have known for 32 years who has been using BIAB for years (I would say at least 10 years and he just upgraded to get the full disk drive). My concern has to do with my computer setup and the fact that I do not have time unfortunately to fiddle with it nor the time to replace it if it is going to create a problem. This is why I wish they had a trial download. It would be so much simpler and this thread would not even exist if they had that trial. It would be easy, I download it, it does not work, I blame my computer and later when I get a new computer (maybe 3 years from now) I download it again and it works. This is the industry standard which I am use to and I have no complaints about it. Maybe that is because I left the music business at age 26 to become a programmer so it seems like the norm to me and 100% logical in my way of thinking.

Having said all that maybe that test will work. What I might do is try and figure out how to do that test before I down load it. If there is a manual out there (another industry standard these days) I will poke through it first on the weekend when I have a bit more time.

I will say it again, I think BIAB sales would be higher if they had a trial version mainly because it is a good program and it then becomes so easy to try. The way PGmusic has it set up it becomes more difficult. I have probably downloaded 25 trials that I uninstalled that did not work for some reason or another (it is fast and painless and easily forgotten within 5 minutes). That is a lot less time that this thread has taken and less time than trying to figure out how to get the money back. The good thing about BIAB is if it does not work I know to blame my computer and try it later.

Last edited by bowlesj; 09/04/12 04:25 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I... My concern has to do with my computer setup and the fact that I do not have time unfortunately to fiddle with it nor the time to replace it if it is going to create a problem. This is why I wish they had a trial download.

Opps, your right I missed that. It happens in long (even short) threads. OK, I hear you - yes I can almost quarentee you that you will have to do some fiddlein and it will take time, regardless of the computer and your setup. Good Luck

Journeyman
Journeyman
bowles. I have had BIAB for over 10 years myself and still don't have a clue as to how to use 1/10the of the program. I have a degree from a community college (AA) in programing. Took a couple of semesters of classes in ProTools. I still can not get these programs to do what I think they should do in an easy way. Some people learn quicker than others. I also have to go back and relearn how to do transparency behind a picture in Photoshop every time I need to do it. That doesn't mean Photoshop is a bad program or that ProTools, Sonor or BIAB are bad programs. What it means in my case is I need to do work with something every day, day in and day out until the process becomes second nature. BIAB is a huge program. If you go to the support page of pgmusic.com you will find tutorials you can browse b4 buying. But as to your computer. The main functions of doing the auto accompliment with MIDI will run on a 486-25mgz. I know cause I did it. One major problem with ANY recording playback computer system is latancy. I faught with that problem for years and allowed it to keep me from getting to use the system the way I wanted to. If you want to play a soft synth along with your program, BIAB, Sonor, Reaper, whatever you are going to run into this problem on a regular old computer. The anwwer is to fiddle and find ASIO4All and maybe that will correct the problem Maybe not. What WILL correct the problem is an audio interface at a cost of $100+ . Once I quit messing around and got the interface all of the programs started working better. BUT none of them work automatically. Stop and think about it. Why do colleges all over the country offer programs on how to use Word, Excell. Access, PowerlPoint, DreamWeaver, Flash etc, etc, etc. If you know how to work this stuff you don't need classes but 90% of the folks that want to use these programs need the classes.
BIAB will do what it says and do it simply. Try and do the same thing note by note, track by track in a standard DAW and you are really gonna find out how hard making music on your computer is. I would also remind you that you didn't learn how to play the guitar in an evening.

OH, and as dumb as it sounds, Yes PGMusci will refund your $ if you ask for them to do so immediately by credit card. They NEVER charge for there support line. I have never had to wait beyond the second or third ring AND once in 10 years was asked if I would mind holding because there was a backlog of calls concerning the newest upgrade stuff that folks where having problems understanding.

I own several professional DAW's. ProTools 8LE (at a cost of over $$500., Sonor X1, Reaper 4.0. I subscribe to Computer Music mag out of England and have vanity tags on my van that says 'IDOMIDI". In my humble opinion the best money I ever invested in any of this stuff was for my BIAB and the upgrades. With the every 6 month upgrades and new RealTracks I'm sure I have invested over a thousand dollars wrapped up in it. If I live along enough (and I hope to) I will have no problem with investing another thousand into it.

As others have said, buy it and give it a real going over. You will love it or you will call or email and get a refund. PG is confident enough in there product that they believe you won't want to return it. So am I.

Dell 610 dual Monitor, win 7-10, Sonar Plat, ProTools 10 & 11, Reaper 4, BIAB/real Band 2022, Easy Drummer, Superior Drummer, Kontact Essentials, Personnel Orchestra, Korg Legacy Analog & Digital
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

have vanity tags on my van that says 'IDOMIDI".

OMG, I have "JZMNDAN", aren't we geeky.

B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Sorry guys. I am going to come back tomorrow to read your posts a bit better. I just wanted to get this example in that will make my point about trials really obvious. I had forgotten about it.

One day I decided I wanted a program to append .wav files. Okay so no one I asked on the MultiCharts forum knew of one. So I went to google and did a lot of searching. Within 30 to 60 minutes I found about 5 of them, downloaded them one by one as free trials (some were just free), kept uninstalling them until I found one that only had one thing I did not like much but found a work around for. I kept it. Could you imagine if I had to pay $50 to try each one out with a promise that they would return the money. Just imagine the time I would have had to spend dealing with this. No chance. I do not think anyone in their right mind would want to be having to try and get their money back from the 4 looser of the 5 programs I tried that night. I guarantee that when BIAB finally has 5 competitors they will be forced to have a free trial because the other competitors will force them by doing it first.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Veteran
Veteran
To do justice to the program it needs to be very big.

It does not come with a dongle, restrictions on where to install it.

It implies that you have a level of honesty. Really, you could obviously get it, keep it, and return the hard drive. That's not fair, but you are expected to be fair.

There are loads of samples of what it can do.

And video tutorials.

I'd suggest you watch the first few tutorials, listen to the examples of output available on line, and then come back with further questions.

And, there is no salesperson sending you spurious emails about a deal now, buy before midnight, or next week and get a percentage off. Standards in the industry also.

If this was a very simple program, you could learn it in a few hours, and be bored with it in a few days. It sure is not that.

There are midi guys, realtracks guys, guys who do both, and those who just are working towards a solution without a prejudice one way or the other.

There is only one guy here with a vested interest in promoting an add on product and you can make your own mind up about that.

I just have 4 keyboards, 2 modules, and some good gear. And I've lost interest to a large degree, based on health issues and family problems with aged parents who take up a lot of time.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,736
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191