Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
dcuny #172214 09/06/12 05:53 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I appreciate the offer, but.. I spent about 4 hours tweaking the MIDI in Reaper to get different articulations and velocity settings. I modified a number of the lines so they were a bit more typical of a violin, such as adding the scale runs, so it's no longer a BiaB file.

It was a great learning experience for me, but I'd hate to have someone else spend that kind of time on a demo that isn't very awesome to start with.

David, could you send me the midi file of the violin. I may be able to show you how a couple of my violin sounds without a lot of modification.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
dcuny #172215 09/06/12 07:59 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, David -

I liked what you did with the solo violin demo, but my problem with it was that depending on the notes being played, it ping-ponged back and forth between the left and right channels. I think it would have been more realistic for the piano to be stereo, but the violin dead center. Just a thought.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
jford #172216 09/07/12 01:13 AM
Off-Topic
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I agree - it's pretty distracting to hear the instrument go from ear to ear.

I'd intended to make the violin mono, but wasn't sure how to go about doing it. I'll correct that at some point.

Thanks!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
dcuny #172217 09/10/12 12:55 AM
Off-Topic
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I've redone the Miroslav solo violin demo. I've added a couple more articulations, made the violin track monophonic, and added a bit of reverb: Miroslav Philharmonilk Solo Violin Test. I'm still up in the air about the instrument... There are some nice sounds, but it seems to take a lot of work, and it still sounds patchwork in places.

Feel free to voice any criticisms! One thing's for sure - if I'd known I'd end up spending this many hours on the demo, I'd have picked a better bit of music.

I had a look at LA Scoring Strings First Chair ($300, Kontakt Player). I'd heard some great things about LASS, and this library offers the first chair instruments of the violin, viola, cello and bass.

However, they're not "solo" instruments, but "first chair", so they're intended to blend in with the section. So they're a little bit more laid back, and not quite as expressive as a solo instrument.

So while they're nice, I'm not sure I can justify spending that much... It's too bad the Garritan Stradivari Solo Violin is no longer available.

No matter how which library you use, trying to get the right articulations is going to take a lot of time playing with MIDI data in a DAW...

-- David Cuny

dcuny #172218 09/10/12 11:20 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
"At this point, I'm mainly looking for a good solo violin. I should have included these libraries for completeness:"

I have the Garritan Stradivarius here and its very good at what it does. I believe the package is now in the new Garritan Personal Orchestra. There was a Cello too the Gofrilla

Ask in the GPO forums at Northern Sounds for more info:

They are cheaper than the above

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
MarioD #172219 09/10/12 11:53 AM
Off-Topic
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

David, could you send me the midi file of the violin. I may be able to show you how a couple of my violin sounds without a lot of modification.

Sorry, I missed your post. I'll try to post a MIDI file some time tonight. Thanks!

-- David Cuny

Off-Topic
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

I have the Garritan Stradivarius here and its very good at what it does. I believe the package is now in the new Garritan Personal Orchestra.

I've got GPO4 (actually, I just grabbed the 4.02 update this weekend). While the GPO solo violins are pretty good, they're different than the Garritan Stradivari Solo Violin (GSSV). Here's an excellent article that discusses the difference between them.

As the above article notes, a lot of the features of the GSSV were brought about by patented phase-alignment techniques. Apparently there was a licensing dispute, and the end result is that Garritan no longer offers the GSSV. Sadly, neither does anyone else.

Back in 2008, Garritan thought they would be able to come out with a comparable product in the near future. Apparently they lost their primary developer, and a replacement product has never happened. The folk who developed the GSSV went on to found SampleModeling and focus on brass instruments, and so GSSV has been in limbo ever since.

Out of curiosity, how much "bite" does the GSSV have? Most of the demos I've been able to find are fairly mellow (like this). It reminds me a lot of the Quantum Leap Solo Violin (QLSV). I just listened to the QLSV demos again trying to convince myself that it sounds OK, but I'm just not sold...

-- David Cuny

MarioD #172221 09/11/12 01:39 AM
Off-Topic
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

The track runs at 65 BPM. I had some difficulty exporting the .MID file from Reaper. I've stripped the pitch bends out, so it's pretty plain vanilla. The part is on MIDI channel 1.

ViolinPart.mid
PianoPart.mp3

Thanks!

-- David Cuny

dcuny #172222 09/11/12 09:26 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
David, here are two examples of solo violins from Kirk Hunter’s Diamond Orchestra:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/97281321/romantic.mp3

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/97281321/Strat.mp3

The first is a solo romantic violin and the other is a solo stradivarius.

The only thing I did with your midi file was to extend some notes so they would play legato. They were choppy as they were however I know each sound source is different thus you have to program midi differently for each one.

I choose these two examples because they had built in vibrato. There are many articulations for each, including some no vibrato ones, but I thought that these sounded the best.

You will note that some of the samples stop abruptly. With work this can be eliminate but I wanted to do as little work on your original midi file so you could hear the sound difference only. You can get some very convincing string parts if you take the time and use up and down strokes, a different sound source for each string part etc.

Although this orchestra is a little on the expensive side but for me the bang for the buck well worth the extra money.

Let me know what you think.

edit - I should have pointed out that no effects were used on these sounds. They are straight out of the box sounds. With reverb and other effects these will more come to life.

Last edited by MarioD; 09/11/12 09:29 AM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #172223 09/11/12 12:20 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
So if you have more than one string library, are you a string librarian? And are your libraries on the Dewey decimal system?

How does that work? Someone comes in looking for plucked strings and you ask your co-librarian "Dewey have anything in pizzicato?"

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
MarioD #172224 09/11/12 07:01 PM
Off-Topic
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

David, here are two examples of solo violins from Kirk Hunter’s Diamond Orchestra:

Thanks, that helps a lot! I really like the sound of the "Romantic" violin. The "Stradivarius" is a bit too nasal for my taste, but it also sounds quite good.

Unfortunately, both the Diamond and Solo Strings 1 require the full version of Kontakt, which I haven't got. It's too bad, because the Solo Strings 1 has both of those violins in it.

So I guess it's between Pop/Rock Strings or LA Scoring Strings First Chair (assuming I can cough up enough money for LASS).

-- David Cuny

dcuny #172225 09/12/12 11:27 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi David, here are two more solo string examples:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/97281321/solo%20strings-kontakt.mp3

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/97281321/solo%20violin-kontakt.mp3

These are directly from Kontakt’s VSL Orchestra sounds. Again no effects or modification to your midi file was made, thus these are just for sound comparison.

It should be noted that both Kontakt and Diamond Orchestra’s have setting that will change the sound of the strings. Things like mellower or less nasally can be accomplished. These are not key switches but adjustments that can be made to the sound. You can use key switches just like normally after you adjust the sound to your liking. You can also set the patch for legato, which I forgot to do on these examples.

I’m in a rush so I can’t show you those sound adjustments now. However if you are interested I may be able to find the time this weekend.

I hope these examples help.

MarioD #172226 09/12/12 04:04 PM
Off-Topic
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks! Despite the timing differences (sorry about not matching the files up better), it gives a good feel for what the libraries offer.

However, since both libraries requires Kontakt full, neither of them are options at the moment.

-- David Cuny

dcuny #172227 09/12/12 06:13 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
David -

I initially bought Komplete Elements and then just watched the sales. Eventually they had one where I could get Komplete 8 (full package) for $299. Later, on sale, I was able to upgrade to Komplete 8 Ultimate (full package on USB hard drive) for $292. In the end, I was able to get Komplete 8 Ultimate (which has almost everything NI has, software-wise) for about the cost of Komplete 8 Standard Bundle. This was over the course of about a year.

The sales sneak up on you, though, and don't last very long.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
jford #172228 09/16/12 02:01 AM
Off-Topic
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I found a demo of Eleanor Rigby for both the Kirk Hunter library and LASS First Chair. If anyone's curious:

Eleanor Rigby (Strings only) - Beatles
Eleanor Rigby - Kirk Hunter Pop/Rock Strings / Concert Strings II
Eleanor Rigby - LA Scoring Strings First Chair

Although the Kirk Hunter demo is very good, the LASS FC cello the won me over in the end, so I ended up going with the LASS FC.

Although the sound is quite good, the instruments really are "first chair", so there are a number of places where the it sounds like more than one string is being struck, a note is off pitch, or there's a scrape on the string.

Edit: I believe the "doubled" note comes from the crossfading between the glissando and the target note, and not the actual sample itself.

I suspect that the Kirk Hunter library would have been a bit simpler to use. LASS places different articulations on different channels instead of using key switches. Common articulations can be triggered by velocity, and volume is controlled by the mod wheel. So there's definitely a learning curve.

Still, LASS FC has some very nice sounds, and that's what matters in the end.

Last edited by dcuny; 09/16/12 09:23 AM.

-- David Cuny

dcuny #172229 09/16/12 01:53 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I concur about the LASS sounding very, very good and I concur about that "glitch"/double note NOT being in the sample (we are talking about the one a few seconds into the intro aren't we?) but it also occurs in the FISRT supposedly "actual" Beatles string only version, as well as the 3rd post the LASS version so either:

1. Whoever produced the song using LASS in the 3rd post was meticulous to a OCD fault using post one as template, or

2. they are the SAME version of Eleanor Rigby with different mix levels, but using maybe an older version of LASS (1.5?) or recording quality (the first having a/the violin laying further down in the nix) or,

3. they use the same MIDI file but possible different string libraries.

I need to go find my actual vinyl LP and listen hard to the intro to see if that double is there (I never noticed it before but …OK I'm back…

To my ears (and vinyl requires picking up the tone arm and resetting and I hate doing that more than a few times) there are two distinct notes (no flubs, mis-bows, or mis-fingering in the original to my ears) starting on/near the last syllable of "people" - this can be confirmed on the iTunes store sample (under the Revolver album of the entire boxed set).

So it is either 2 or 3. but not your point is it. LASS sounds good (just not sure for me it's double plus good (1984 speak))

I need to find that exact MIDI file and run it thourgh my HW synths and see what i can gin up.

Larry

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I wasn't referring to the glitch in the demo, I was referring to the way LASS (and probably other libraries) handle glissandos. The glissando - the note sliding up to the target pitch - is cross-faded into the target note. During that time, the two samples overlap, and you can hear two distinct pitches. It's a bit irritating, but not a deal breaker.

You're aware that Eleanor Rigby is actually a string octet, right? They recorded a string quartet twice.

Here's something I put together with the LASS violin and BiaB: LASS FC Solo Violin

I don't think it's a particularly good demo... I'm likely to nuke it in a couple days. But I think it shows the sounds I'm getting out of the library at the moment. My kids are complaining that it's making them seasick...

-- David Cuny

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,620
Posts735,182
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185