soar in September's crisp air
sweet harvest of chords

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This is STILL stupid,
Yet somehow I keep posting.
Enigma, am I....

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
C
Journeyman
Journeyman
C
Peter Gannon picked
A Pack of B I A B
Packed R B for Free!

Brent Mason does play
On Real Tracks only,not on
Midi Super Tracks

What we have here is
failure to communicate
Check Driver Setup.

Yadda Yadda Ya
Yadda Yadda Yadda Ya
Yadda Yadda Ya

(Courtesy of Elaine Benes)

Carkins

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hiaku is just bad
It doesn’t make a good poem
It’s not an art form
…………………………………………….

It reminds me of being in Atlanta 20 years ago staring at an ungodly mess of twisted metal at an exhibit.

I looked over at my friend who’d suggested we attend the exhibit and he saw my confused look.

He said “this is part of the DBA program.”

I asked “DBA?”

He answered “Dis Be Art!”

Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Hiaku is just bad
It doesn’t make a good poem
It’s not an art form
…………………………………………….

Bob,

Sometime I can't figure out where you're coming from. I get that you don't like haiku, okay? But you are protesting WAY too much here. You have gone a tremendous distance out of your way to protest--what? I'm not sure.

Saying that rules stifle creativity is like saying that uniforms stifle individuality, which anyone who has worn a uniform knows is not true. For a bluegrass musician to say that "he doesn't like rules" is a breathtaking statement of self unawareness--which I know isn't true, so I am really mystified. Unless you are playing completely arrhythmic, atonal noise (which could only arguably be called music) you live by musical rules. Not sure about the rest of your life.

You want rules? I was just going for syllabic structure. Here's Wikipedia's take on the history and structure of haiku. So many rules you wouldn't believe. All you have demonstrated is that you don't understand poetry in the much larger sense. To say that haiku is not an art form is not only laughable, it is a denial of more than a millennium of Japanese art and culture.

For everybody else, the jazz haiku earlier was brilliant. I'm going to try to live up to that.

R.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Richard,

I have obviously offended you, and for that I'm truly sorry. That defintely wasn't my intention.

I just don't understand the appeal of haiku. I read several examples and I didn't see any flow, just strict adherence to form and structure.

Quote:

All you have demonstrated is that you don't understand poetry in the much larger sense.

I would have to disagree with that since haiku is such a small percentage of "poetry" that you'd have to start with a decimal point and add a few zeros before actually calculating a numeric value.

I enjoy poetry, but I like the more classical forms.

As a songwriter, I've written tons of songs. Some are pretty good, others, ... not so much. Songs are nothing more than poetry over a musical progression.

Early on in the thread:

Quote:

I don’t understand the appeal, but that’s okay.

If you like it, go for it.

I started playing and singing long before I knew ANYTHING about music theory. I only knew what I thought sounded good. I learned basic music theory later.

As far as "rules" in music goes, music theory isn't a list of "rules" on what you have to do, it's an EXPLANATION of why certain things sound good and other things don't.

That's the basis for this earlier statement:

Quote:

If I’d been given a list of “rules” about writing a song, then I’d never have written my first one. Ditto for playing an instrument.

As far as what is an "art form", that's up to the person viewing or listening to what is being put forward as "art'. To some folks, art is when someone p*sses in a fruit jar, places an inverted crucifix in the jar, puts a lid on it and then gives it some absurd name. I reserve the right to declare "that's not art" or to say it sucks.

You're obviously a fan of haiku. That's fine. Enjoy it.

My comments were given in the same context where I'd tell a friend who is a metalcore fan that his music "sucked" and he'd tell me that bluegrass is "redneck bullsh*t". Then we'd both laugh and take turns on picking the next song.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bob, for the small percentage you might be wrong. Might be. I you count the Japanese that is. Just don't forget about them, which happened once big time. Just sayin.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Bob, I'm not offended, just mystified by the apparent tone. Everything you said in response is true.

E-text is a "cold" medium that dangerously omits many nuances. (I lost a job once because of an e-mail that was intended as minor humor but was blown way out of proportion.) I accept the spirit in which you say it was offered and the suggestion that we move on.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
No man kissin please. LOL

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Sometime I can't figure out where you're coming from.

That may be the case here from my end. A forum member once posted a Van Halen clip that was atrocious and talked about how great it was. Another member posted something else equally bad and also raved about it.

I jumped in and was incredulous at why they thought the clips were so good. They, (and a few others), posted and told me I’d been “punked”. The clips by the bands were intentionally AWFUL recordings and the bands did that on purpose.

When you posted the haiku thread, I didn’t realize you were so invested in it. I thought maybe you’d ran across it and just posted it to see what other people thought about it.

If you’d said “I’m a HUGE haiku fan and I want to see if any other members are”, I’d probably left it alone. Or just said “It’s not my cup of tea”.

I posted a dubstep video even though I’m not a dubstep fan. I just liked that video and was impressed by the girls talent. It doesn’t mean I’ll be buying any dubstep CD’s, nor would I be offended by someone saying dubstep sucks. I just liked that one artist’s video.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

And JC, … there will be NO man kisses here! As Don Gaynor said in the dubstep thread, I'm "hooked on the cute chickenlettes".

Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
There is no huge investment here, although I am a fan of Japanese history and culture. I got the idea on the Propellerhead Reason forums, which are significantly more diverse than here. With some notable exceptions the PG forums are comprised mainly of MAWGs (middle-aged white guys).

The thread there was started and went on vigorously for several days, hindered only by a few who just didn't get what haiku was, or whose command of English made it difficult. There were some great haiku and a lot of humor.

And there was none of this prose. There was the same range of discussion, but EVERYTHING was done in haiku form. I was just curious to see how it would fly here. Now I know.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Wow if 60+ is middle aged then I'm headed for 130? Well remember those words.

Methuselah lived 900 years
Methuselah lived 900 years
Who calls that livin'
When no gal will give in
To no man what's 900 years

(Ella had that one right.)

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'm 59. I'm middle aged. Wah! I have spoken.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
A mere enfant (terrible). Dang these meds make me almost back to my odd ball self!

I thought hypothyroidizm was something a guy with a watch did when you were falling asleep and he hit your leg, izzy.

Turns out I can stay up after 11. Wow.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Richard,

I was going back thru the haiku thread to see if I missed something, and I have a couple of questions.

Would you please further expound on this? Especially the last sentence in the quote.

Quote:

Saying that rules stifle creativity is like saying that uniforms stifle individuality, which anyone who has worn a uniform knows is not true. For a bluegrass musician to say that "he doesn't like rules" is a breathtaking statement of self unawareness--which I know isn't true, so I am really mystified.

The only rule I’m aware of in bluegrass is for everyone to get in tune. If you “know” I don’t suffer from “self unawareness”, why mention it and why are you “mystified?” That’s a new term for me.

Secondly:

What does this mean?

Quote:

Not sure about the rest of your life.

Thanks

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Gee, Bob, I don't care one way or another. But the tenacious thing is tough. Somebody, like in the, oh yea, chest bumping thing needs to be the bigger guy and walk away.

IF Haiku is NOT your thing, great. I love Robert Frost. Some well written Japanese Haiku is cool. But it's tough in the translation.

I think this is W Va. vrs Georgia, do you guys have football teams that gnaw on each other?

I gotta tell you, when you lie in a hospital bed and they call your whole dang fan-dam-aly, and you are too weak to smile or sit up, most of the el toro poo poo in life becomes nothing but that.

Two dawgs splashed in a yella puddle
and sad I could not three see,
I drunk my traveller, warm like pee
I quickly said that Hai Koo,
She Ain't fer me.

So sorry Rob't Frost yer barn-ic-les, it's only sort of play gerry ism.

They told me to act my age, so I asked for a discount.

My ex wife gave her lawyer most of my money. Guy never did a thing but write 4 pages. Got about 400 bucks a word. He used run on sentences, and dangled my participles.

I always wanted a couple of acres. Got hit by a puck below the belly button and they hurt for days.

I thought they told me to light up, but being deaf I didn't hear the en part. Cost me a 20 buck cuban and a 100 buck fine. The judge asked me if I went to Havana often and on what street I got them. Gave me a minimum sentence for the info.

My wife lost her credit cards but I didn't report them stolen, the thief is spending less money.

Ok guys, kiss and make up this time. NOT on the lips for pete's sakes.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
John,

Quote:

I love Robert Frost.

We agree 100% on that.

I was just asking Richard about the other comments, especially since he said:

Quote:

There is no huge investment here

... in haiku.

I was trying to figure out why he was so offended and why he said those things to me.

Please notice the questions weren't directed to you and had NOTHING to do with anything you said.

Thanks

Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I have failed to convey the whole tone of my response, prolly 'cause I didn't put in enough smilies. It was all intended as lighthearted banter. Oh, well.

Quote:

Richard,

I was going back thru the haiku thread to see if I missed something, and I have a couple of questions.

Would you please further expound on this? Especially the last sentence in the quote.

Quote:

Saying that rules stifle creativity is like saying that uniforms stifle individuality, which anyone who has worn a uniform knows is not true. For a bluegrass musician to say that "he doesn't like rules" is a breathtaking statement of self unawareness--which I know isn't true, so I am really mystified.

The only rule I’m aware of in bluegrass is for everyone to get in tune. If you “know” I don’t suffer from “self unawareness”, why mention it and why are you “mystified?” That’s a new term for me.

There was a time when I was a decent aspiring flatpicker, although utterly nontraditional. My direct experience with bluegrass and the people who practice it has not been good. That's a story for another time. The upshot is that those to whom I was directly exposed were clearly hidebound--utterly rigid--regarding their interpretation of what was and was not acceptable in bluegrass. Rules, baby. I broke 'em (not knowing that they existed) and was treated quite unkindly. The incident is funny in retrospect; the treatment was and is not.

If you tell me that the culture is freer than that, I am prepared to believe you, and that whole last sentence becomes meaningless. What that means is that I have probably been operating under a false assumption. I'd love to know different, but I'm not going to touch that hot stove again without some friendly guidance. Yeah, I've heard the bluegrass version of Dark Side of the Moon and was mightily impressed. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't go over everywhere, though.

Quote:

Secondly:

What does this mean?

Quote:

Not sure about the rest of your life.

Thanks

That last is easy. It was both a response to your explicit statement in an earlier post about how much you dislike rules, AND an extension of my apparently false belief that all BG musos are stuck on form and content, which I extended to you. Okay, I'm smiling when I write this expression of unruliness: "For all I know, in your private life you paint yourself blue and sacrifice kittens to Moloch." Can't quite picture it, but hey. You never know about the guy next door. Might be Boo Radley. (Still smiling, okay?) I was being facetious--and laid myself completely open to misinterpretation, so I guess I earned your suspicion. I din' mean nuffin. Rilly.

Into autumn air
Rise strains of stringéd music
Bluegrass festival

Pax, okay?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Pax, okay?

Sounds good to me.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,439
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195