#172471 - 09/09/12 12:21 AM [Off-Topic] Re: BIAB Haiku Thread [Re: Ryszard]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

Loc: WV, USA
Hiaku is just bad
It doesn’t make a good poem
It’s not an art form
…………………………………………….

It reminds me of being in Atlanta 20 years ago staring at an ungodly mess of twisted metal at an exhibit.

I looked over at my friend who’d suggested we attend the exhibit and he saw my confused look.

He said “this is part of the DBA program.”

I asked “DBA?”

He answered “Dis Be Art!”

#172472 - 09/09/12 08:39 PM [Off-Topic] Re: BIAB Haiku Thread [Re: bobcflatpicker]
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Quote:

Hiaku is just bad
It doesn’t make a good poem
It’s not an art form
…………………………………………….

Bob,

Sometime I can't figure out where you're coming from. I get that you don't like haiku, okay? But you are protesting WAY too much here. You have gone a tremendous distance out of your way to protest--what? I'm not sure.

Saying that rules stifle creativity is like saying that uniforms stifle individuality, which anyone who has worn a uniform knows is not true. For a bluegrass musician to say that "he doesn't like rules" is a breathtaking statement of self unawareness--which I know isn't true, so I am really mystified. Unless you are playing completely arrhythmic, atonal noise (which could only arguably be called music) you live by musical rules. Not sure about the rest of your life.

You want rules? I was just going for syllabic structure. Here's Wikipedia's take on the history and structure of haiku. So many rules you wouldn't believe. All you have demonstrated is that you don't understand poetry in the much larger sense. To say that haiku is not an art form is not only laughable, it is a denial of more than a millennium of Japanese art and culture.

For everybody else, the jazz haiku earlier was brilliant. I'm going to try to live up to that.

R.

#172473 - 09/09/12 09:41 PM [Off-Topic] Re: BIAB Haiku Thread [Re: Ryszard]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

Richard,

I have obviously offended you, and for that I'm truly sorry. That defintely wasn't my intention.

I just don't understand the appeal of haiku. I read several examples and I didn't see any flow, just strict adherence to form and structure.

Quote:

All you have demonstrated is that you don't understand poetry in the much larger sense.

I would have to disagree with that since haiku is such a small percentage of "poetry" that you'd have to start with a decimal point and add a few zeros before actually calculating a numeric value.

I enjoy poetry, but I like the more classical forms.

As a songwriter, I've written tons of songs. Some are pretty good, others, ... not so much. Songs are nothing more than poetry over a musical progression.

Early on in the thread:

Quote:

I don’t understand the appeal, but that’s okay.

If you like it, go for it.

I started playing and singing long before I knew ANYTHING about music theory. I only knew what I thought sounded good. I learned basic music theory later.

As far as "rules" in music goes, music theory isn't a list of "rules" on what you have to do, it's an EXPLANATION of why certain things sound good and other things don't.

That's the basis for this earlier statement:

Quote:

If I’d been given a list of “rules” about writing a song, then I’d never have written my first one. Ditto for playing an instrument.

As far as what is an "art form", that's up to the person viewing or listening to what is being put forward as "art'. To some folks, art is when someone p*sses in a fruit jar, places an inverted crucifix in the jar, puts a lid on it and then gives it some absurd name. I reserve the right to declare "that's not art" or to say it sucks.

You're obviously a fan of haiku. That's fine. Enjoy it.

My comments were given in the same context where I'd tell a friend who is a metalcore fan that his music "sucked" and he'd tell me that bluegrass is "redneck bullsh*t". Then we'd both laugh and take turns on picking the next song.

#172474 - 09/09/12 09:43 PM [Off-Topic] Re: BIAB Haiku Thread [Re: bobcflatpicker]
John Conley Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
Bob, for the small percentage you might be wrong. Might be. I you count the Japanese that is. Just don't forget about them, which happened once big time. Just sayin.

#172475 - 09/09/12 10:18 PM [Off-Topic] Re: BIAB Haiku Thread [Re: John Conley]
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Bob, I'm not offended, just mystified by the apparent tone. Everything you said in response is true.

E-text is a "cold" medium that dangerously omits many nuances. (I lost a job once because of an e-mail that was intended as minor humor but was blown way out of proportion.) I accept the spirit in which you say it was offered and the suggestion that we move on.

#172476 - 09/09/12 10:22 PM [Off-Topic] Re: BIAB Haiku Thread [Re: Ryszard]
John Conley Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
No man kissin please. LOL

#172477 - 09/09/12 10:50 PM [Off-Topic] Re: BIAB Haiku Thread [Re: Ryszard]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Sometime I can't figure out where you're coming from.

That may be the case here from my end. A forum member once posted a Van Halen clip that was atrocious and talked about how great it was. Another member posted something else equally bad and also raved about it.

I jumped in and was incredulous at why they thought the clips were so good. They, (and a few others), posted and told me I’d been “punked”. The clips by the bands were intentionally AWFUL recordings and the bands did that on purpose.

When you posted the haiku thread, I didn’t realize you were so invested in it. I thought maybe you’d ran across it and just posted it to see what other people thought about it.

If you’d said “I’m a HUGE haiku fan and I want to see if any other members are”, I’d probably left it alone. Or just said “It’s not my cup of tea”.

I posted a dubstep video even though I’m not a dubstep fan. I just liked that video and was impressed by the girls talent. It doesn’t mean I’ll be buying any dubstep CD’s, nor would I be offended by someone saying dubstep sucks. I just liked that one artist’s video.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

And JC, … there will be NO man kisses here! As Don Gaynor said in the dubstep thread, I'm "hooked on the cute chickenlettes".

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Create Backing Vocals with RealTracks Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs!

That's right - for the first time ever Band-in-a-Box® can generate backing vocals with some amazing "oohs" and "aahs" vocal arrangements! Add male or female parts by renowned Nashville vocalists David Wise and Shelly Justice, and you'll LOVE the results!

Included with RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs, is a three-part, six-voice arrangement – which you can use all together in your song or individually for more delicate textures! Listen to the demos for RealTracks Set 278 here.

Purchase RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs for just $29 here. It's also included in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows PlusPAK, UltraPAK, and Audiophile Edition.

Have Your Band-in-a-Box® Delivered In Time for Christmas!

The gift of music... some say this is the greatest gift of all! Imagine receiving the tools to help you create your own music for Christmas... like Band-in-a-Box!

If you are in the United States or Canada, order Band-in-a-Box before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 21st for Express delivery in time for Christmas.

If you are outside of North America, order before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 19th for Express delivery in time for Christmas.

With major savings and Bonus PAKs until December 31st, it's a great time to purchase Band-in-a-Box upgrades as a gift for someone you know... or for yourself!
http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 - Xtra Styles PAK Quick Start Tutorial Video

Our latest video includes a Quick Start tutorial on the installation, locations, and use of the Band-in-a-Box® Xtra Styles PAKs in Version 2018 for Windows. Video: Xtra Styles PAK Quick Start Tutorial

We have put all of our Xtra Styles PAKs on SALE! Until December 31st, purchase any Xtra Styles PAK (1 - 4) for just $29 each! (reg. $49) www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

User Blog - How To Record a Cover Song Using Band-in-a-Box and RealBand

Joanne Cooper's final blog post for 2017, How to record a cover song using Band-in-a-Box and RealBand is a must-read!

Joanne summarizes the steps she took to produce her cover of "Old Lang Syne" - her final result was posted to the User Showcase Forum: Listen to Auld Lang Syne

https://www.joannecooper.co.za/blog/blog/how-to-record-a-cover-song-using-band-in-a-box-and-realband

Announcing…The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)

We are excited to announce the release of a new project: The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)

Songwriter Floyd Jane shows the songwriting process from inspiration to performance and publication: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=IYMMZVvQdCw

The idea for this project came about when many members on this forum and elsewhere were asking questions about the song writing process. There are many aspects, and many parts of it necessary to create a song, get it arranged, performed, and then published on the internet. So we asked the great songwriter Floyd Jane, who is a regular member on this forum, if he could help. Floyd agreed and was even able to collaborate with other forum members, Janice and Bud. The result is this video we put together that you can see on YouTube or Facebook, called "The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)".

We hope this video helps other songwriters with their songwriting process, and also shows them tools that are available to them along the way. Also, we mention this User Showcase Forum, and hope to see many new aspiring or accomplished songwriters join this community :blush:

A big Thank You to Floyd for sharing your knowledge with the community and making this possible. And to Janice and Bud for your great collaboration!

Here is Floyd's original forum post for his song "A Little Bit Of Me": http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=433190

Check out Floyd / Janice & Bud’s music here:
http://floydjane.com/
https://www.janiceandbud.com/

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows - 49 Requests Fulfilled!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows boasts more than 50 new features... and a lot of the new features fill the requests posted by program users!

Some of these include:

Q. I am learning guitar. The RealTracks are very helpful in that I can hear great guitar players, and most of the tracks have tab and notation as well. But there is much more to guitar, could you include some videos of some of the RealTracks Artists? Because I would learn much more from seeing a guitarist than just hearing them.

A. We have a major new feature called "Video RealTracks." These work and sound like RealTracks, but you get to see a video of the Guitarist (or whatever instrument) playing as well. The amazing thing is that this works with any chord progression you type in. So, if you want to learn to play like the great guitarist Brent Mason, for example, you can type in chords to any progression you are interested in, and then hear and see a video of Brent soloing over your progression. Now you can learn much quicker, as it helps to see how a musician is performing, as well as to hear.

Q. I love the Audio Chord Wizard, as it figures out chords from mp3 and other audio files. But it is a separate program from Band-in-a-Box, and I can’t go back and forth to change things easily.

A. We've solved that, as BiaB 2018 has integrated the Audio Chord Wizard directly into Band-in-a-Box. Now load an audio file into BiaB, open the Audio Edit Window – Audio Chord Wizard mode, and let it automatically figure out the bar lines and chords for the song.

Q. I like to save songs as MP3 files, and can't do this with BiaB, except a very low quality one, 64kbps.

A. We've improved this, by adding support for Windows Media Foundation. This allows you to save MP3 in your choice of resolutions, up to very high 320mpbs. Better still, it works on current versions of Windows (Windows 7,8,10) and also on older versions too (Vista, XP).

We've answered 49 questions - review all of these answers on our forum post "49 of your Problems solved? List of 49 Requests fulfilled in Band-in-a-Box 2018" here.

All of the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows can be reviewed at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm

RealBand® 2018 for Windows Build 3 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 users can update their version with the latest patch, Build 3. Download this patch here

Summary of Changes since 2018 Build 3:

Added: Section Numbers supported. All section letter menus now include numbers 1 through 9 in addition to letters A through Z.
Fixed: Section letters in Notation Window were not being resized if the notation was zoomed in/out
Fixed: RealBand might freeze when generating audio harmonies
Fixed: Loading in a BB song (MGU/SGU) or generating realtracks could freeze up the program.
Fixed: Chords in Notation/LeadSheet on 1st beat of a bar were being drawn too close to bar lines.
Fixed: Support for XP and Vista.

http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_3

Forum Stats
26713 Members
50 Forums
48875 Topics
399599 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
chadrips, kaushalmalkan11, JonasJ, SuprNatral, Brince

26712 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)