Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
F
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
F
is there a way to make the instrument in RealTracks play the exact melody that you want ? ?
SITUATION: i've a song loaded and am using style: GEORGE ctry bal w george Fiddle (85 RS)
what i'd like to do is have this RealTracks fiddle play a melody(turnaround)that i designate -
not the background fills that it normally plays. i've tried entering the melody with my keyboards
in to the melody track, open the melody track menu > edit melody track > move to soloist track, but
the soloist track does not play back the RealTrack fiddle - it plays violin (41) from the GS wave-
table.

is there a way to have the soloist track play the melody that i enter with the RealTracks fiddle used in the style listed above (George ctry bal . . .) ? ? maybe moving the melody entered, from the melody track to the soloist track isn't the right approach, maybe there's another way - maybe it can't be done at all.

any help app

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Fivestring,

Realtracks are unable to play notes specified by a user. This is because Realtracks are not assembled from single notes. They are actual live recordings. What BIAB does is to slice and splice sections of these recordings to assemble a suitable track based on the entered chord structure.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
F
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
F
many tks noel - now i can quit beating a dead horse

Journeyman
Journeyman
Or the answer software developers normallly give ...."not in the current version!"

I'm doing allright for Country Trash ....

I used to care, but things have changed (Bob Dylan)

BIAB 2022W + RB
M-Audio FastTrack C600, Rode NT2-A
Digitech VoiceLive 4

Epiphone Sheraton, Ibanez 12str, Washburn 6str, Cort 6Str Nylon
Yanagisawa Tenor Sax

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Realtracks are so misunderstood.

If you could make Realtracks play a specified melody line, then they would no longer BE Realtracks, that is already what we have with any MIDI synthesizer, samples of each note that can be told when to play. But that won't give all the subtle nuances that the Realtracks give because the Realtracks take PHRASES, not single notes of music that has already been recorded and rearrange them to fit your chord changes. Thus Realtracks can only play the phrases that were recorded in the first place.

--Mac

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
someone told me they generate multiple tracks using a single Realtrack and then export all of them to their DAW where they splice various bits together to get more control over the final track. I know that wouldn't give the level of control the OP wants but it might help a little. I guess it would also add quite a bit of time to the process!

Veteran
Veteran
JJJ you can definitely do it, because I've done it. We have all the tools in RB already. Pitch shift for one. Just expand the audio edit window, get familiar with what a note looks like as a waveform and start slicing it up. When you do that you will get pops and clicks if you don't know all about cross fade looping. But, and it's a very big but, you lose the live phrasing the original player put into that RT. All your doing is taking one note out of a bigger file. Oh wait, that sounds familiar doesn't it? Yeah, I hit a key on my Kurzweil and what do I hear? One note. That's called a synth. Oh wow, <Face palm>...damn that idea sounded so cool.

Just having some fun John. What you're hearing is the quality of the recording like the RT Sax soloist for example. You listen to the sax patch on a basic synth like the Coyote Wavetable and it sounds like crap. The sax's on my Kurz however sound great. A good synth uses high quality one note recordings done in a studio by top players just like the RT's. The very best ones with tons of memory use one recording per note so a sampled piano has 88 separate recordings per velocity layer and the good ones have multiple layers so you do the math. That takes a whole lot of memory. Cheaper synths may only have one or two layers for a given patch and they pitch shift one note to cover 3 or 4 keys so they only need maybe 30 recordings per layer, that requires much less memory which equals a cheaper keyboard or PC to play it. You get what you pay for with different synths.

This is the big deal with the new Supertracks btw. With a good synth, a midi Supertrack can definitely rival an RT in quality.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Expert
Expert
This is just off the top of my head!! If the timing of the solo is about right - why not use Melodyne or something similar to get the melody you wish for.

Of course it may be more work than it's worth.

Kevin

Expert
Expert
Quote:

- why not use Melodyne or something similar to get the melody you wish for.

Otherwise known as "The Cher Effect for instruments".

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I have found that the best way to get exactly the notes you want in BiaB is to Record them using a MIDI Controller keyboard or other MIDI instrument that you can play and then assign that to a high quality MIDI synth of some sort.

When mixed with a few Realtracks and the Realdrums, the result is very striking and can sound realistic. Matter of fact, many listeners don't even realize that there is any MIDI involved.

--Mac

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Quote:

JJJ you can definitely do it, because I've done it. We have all the tools in RB already. Pitch shift for one. Just expand the audio edit window, get familiar with what a note looks like as a waveform and start slicing it up. When you do that you will get pops and clicks if you don't know all about cross fade looping. But, and it's a very big but, you lose the live phrasing the original player put into that RT. All your doing is taking one note out of a bigger file. Oh wait, that sounds familiar doesn't it? Yeah, I hit a key on my Kurzweil and what do I hear? One note. That's called a synth. Oh wow, <Face palm>...damn that idea sounded so cool.

Just having some fun John. What you're hearing is the quality of the recording like the RT Sax soloist for example. You listen to the sax patch on a basic synth like the Coyote Wavetable and it sounds like crap. The sax's on my Kurz however sound great. A good synth uses high quality one note recordings done in a studio by top players just like the RT's. The very best ones with tons of memory use one recording per note so a sampled piano has 88 separate recordings per velocity layer and the good ones have multiple layers so you do the math. That takes a whole lot of memory. Cheaper synths may only have one or two layers for a given patch and they pitch shift one note to cover 3 or 4 keys so they only need maybe 30 recordings per layer, that requires much less memory which equals a cheaper keyboard or PC to play it. You get what you pay for with different synths.

This is the big deal with the new Supertracks btw. With a good synth, a midi Supertrack can definitely rival an RT in quality.

Bob

maybe I just haven't heard the right system but everything I've heard so far that was not RealTrack sounds like the circus just got to town!

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 09/18/12 04:05 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
>>>...someone told me they generate multiple tracks using a single Realtrack and then export all of them to their DAW where they splice various bits together to get more control over the final track...>>>

It might have been me that said that. Here is an example of a song where I was able to find and edit real tracks to fit the melody I already had. It was largely serendipitous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg6gF9siJeg&feature=plcp

I beleive I used the "GEORGE" fiddle tracks used by the original poster. All the editing was done in Real Band.

Last edited by flatfoot; 09/19/12 08:19 PM.

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

>>>...someone told me they generate multiple tracks using a single Realtrack and then export all of them to their DAW where they splice various bits together to get more control over the final track...>>>

I have done the same thing using a single RT with Melodyne in my DAW. Tedious and timeconsuming, and honestly, no way to make music. Learn to play or find someone who can and you will appreciate the effort and end results so much more.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

maybe I just haven't heard the right system but everything I've heard so far that was not RealTrack sounds like the circus just got to town!

A very common complaint with MIDI - 10 years ago! Tell us again what synth are you using?

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Here is the project done here oh so long ago.. unfortunately all the files have been lost,
. but some of the comments may provide insight.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.p...true#Post328145

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Quote:

Quote:

A very common complaint with MIDI - 10 years ago! Tell us again what synth are you using?

well, honestly, I don't know! I know there is a computer involved and Windows 7 and recently BIAB! And I know whatever sound card I have plays music from games real nice. Beyond that I know nothing and suspect I have the most basic of MIDI capabilities.

Expert
Expert
Quote:

Quote:

- why not use Melodyne or something similar to get the melody you wish for.

Otherwise known as "The Cher Effect for instruments".

That was not Melodyne, that was Auto-Tune.....

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

well, honestly, I don't know! I know there is a computer involved and Windows 7 and recently BIAB! And I know whatever sound card I have plays music from games real nice. Beyond that I know nothing and suspect I have the most basic of MIDI capabilities.

Free to try for 30 days, then the best $40 BIAB addon you can buy!

http://www.pgmusic.com/coyotefortedxi.htm

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Quote:

Quote:

Free to try for 30 days, then the best $40 BIAB addon you can buy!

http://www.pgmusic.com/coyotefortedxi.htm

So, how would I compare this to non-coyote MIDI? Is there a sample song or something that uses only MIDI that I could then convert to this to hear the difference?

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Samples to compare may be found here: http://www.pgmusic.com/dare-to-compare.htm

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,514
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195