Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
In a recent thread, Rog & others discussed "musical integrity"......AND its price.
Well,at the start of my TV career, in the UK, HMV records had sent me on a short promotional tour of small TV & Radio stations in Northern USA & Canada.......my 'renditions of Scottish Folk songs'.....(because of the treatment), were being played on some Country Stations......AND I had also recorded "covers" of Country hits.
Anyway.
I write a 'supposedly humourous"!! column for the "STAGE DOOR" Magazine here in the UK....I recently shared my 'tale of woe' with the readers............this is it....sorry for the long post!

How I missed out on the Ed Sullivan Show
and learned a valuable lesson!
By Joe Gordon
The other day I was ‘idly musing’ on the past….
(I find myself doing that more and more….’idly musing’, that is ..maybe it’s a ‘senior’ thing….but I like to keep it to myself! I mean it’s no one else’s’ business is it?)
Anyway.
Back when I had just started appearing regularly on TV, and I was still working as graphic artist, there was a phone call to the studio. We didn’t have a phone at home……it was Balornock after all! Turned out to be from Foster’s agency in London. Was I interested in appearing on the Ed Sullivan Show? They had my records sent by HMV…..and they had seen some promotional TV interviews I had done a few weeks previously in USA.
(That was ten days of pandemonium! Travel nightmares……Breakfast TV shows….live Radio….just me and my guitar…..but that’s another story!)
Of course I was interested……Hold me back! Foster’s passed on my interest, and over the next few weeks we arranged dates…..the Sullivan people asked which songs I would prefer to do etc. Another phone call, this time to our house.
(We had a phone now….only the second one in our street…..only one car in the street too….and it was a long street! Very unusual to have a phone! Some of the neighbours came in just to have a look at it!)
Anyway.
Fosters said that the Sullivan people wanted me to wear the kilt……..did I have one? Yes I did. But I explained that I never played guitar with the kilt on….I didn’t think it looked right!……(.pretentious….moi? )….I said I would prefer to do one number in trews and a Prince Charlie Jacket, and the other number without the guitar…..a waltz.....…..wearing the kilt. Fosters said they would get back to me. Next day Foster’s called to say that, “Mr.Sullivan would prefer you to wear the kilt for both songs.”
(To put this into the perspective of my views at that time…….Scottish Pop Singer Jackie Dennis had appeared on the Perry Como Show a few years before……singing his hits AND gyrating wearing a kilt. The press over here were less than kind!! )
Foster’s said, “What will we tell them?” I said that I would be much happier, if I did one song wearing the kilt, and one without.
(I should have been warned then, that all was not well…........The boss, Hymie Zahl himself, came on the line……...would I not change my mind……what an opportunity for me in the States etc……I tried to explain my feeling to him, regarding kilts and guitars…..Brick wall!!)
Get to the crunch I can hear you cry!…..Well, they never called for the next few days….either at the studio or at home…..so I called Foster’s ……Hymie was unavailable…..but had left a message…..”Ed Sullivan’s people had withdrawn their interest.”
A year or so later, I was offered a tour of Canada & USA….the contract stated, ‘kilts for all appearances’……..did I refuse to sign? YOU ARE JOKING! I might be stupid, but I’m not daft! Thing is, when I got over to the USA……any Scottish Singers who lived there and played guitar ALL wore the kilt!
Never mind. I can still ‘idly muse’.
Anyway.
INTEGRITY? STUPIDITY:? Regards, Joe G.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Great story.
I was just thinking this morning of starting a thread about "The great one that never was" and talking about someone famous you got to play with or work with that never turned into anything for one reason or another.

My story I was thinking about-
I got a call out of the blue from a guy near Detroit that goes by the name of JonWax. I had done some work for him previously.
He had some recordings done by MC Breed in his studio and wanted help finishing the songs. (If you don't know MC Breed you can WIKI him, worked with people like 2Pac or Tupac). I see the WIKI mentions the last recordings at the bottom of the article now .. that wasn't there last time I looked. Not sure how many of those recordings Jon did, but he had me work on a few of them.

Anyway, after his death JonWax wanted to get those final recordings finished and released and make his wife the recipient of the money. If you read the article you'll find that child support was not Eric's strong point and JonWax wanted to make up for this. (I assume this is what Eric wanted also after hearing the recordings)
The recordings are very moving and would have opened a whole new audience. His illness had definately changed his outlook on life. It was actually kind of a whole new sound too, very unique.

Why did it not happen (yet)? I was told he was was under contract when the recordings were done and they refuse to cooperate. So some great music that could have helped a needy family in Flint is now sitting in a home near Detroit with a lot of investment and work done but not published.
I had high hopes for that project. Not for me, but for his family.

Last edited by rharv; 09/30/12 07:08 AM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Who is Eric? Is Eric JonWax? Or is Eric MC Breed? (If child support is involved, he should be MC Breeder... just sayin'....) You don't mention "Eric" until after JonWax is dead in your post.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eric is MC Breed's real name. (first line of article in WIKI).
JonWax is not dead. Eric, or MC Breed is.
JonWax was a friend of Eric's.

Last edited by rharv; 09/30/12 07:04 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Got it now. NOW on to the Wiki article...

Isn't Flint rated like THE worst city in the US to live in? Highest crime rate? Highest poverty rate? Yet here's a chance to be a solution and make a difference for one family and someone pulls the plug....

edit: $220,000????? How many kids did this guy have???

Last edited by eddie1261; 09/30/12 07:04 AM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Exactly.
Here, if it helps
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MC_Breed

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Isn't Flint rated like THE worst city in the US to live in?

Nope.
1. El Centro, California
2. Cleveland, Ohio
3. Detroit, Michigan

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2010/08/05/10-worst-places-to-live/

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If Joe's thread has been officially hijacked I'll tell of my relationship with Bob (Zimmerman) Dylan in the late 50s. It's somewhat immodest so I hesitate. Its similar to Joe's story but without the kilts.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Tell the story Don.

I was wondering about that since you've mentioned it briefly before but didn't expound upon it.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I knew Cleveland was second. And chances are, with a little less work and more corruption in government, misdirecting of available funds to frivolous things like rebuilding the east side entertainment district rather than fixing the school system, paving those awful roads, even TRYING to clean up the drug traffic in the ghetto, they can be Numero Uno someday!!! I grew up in Cleveland and now live 35 miles south. When I lived up there, the metro area had 1.5 million people. That continues to shrink as the schools fall apart. Parents don't want their kids attending schools that shut down half of the classrooms and sit kids 2 to a desk because it's 7 degrees outside and there is no money available to fix the windows that the ghetto punks have broken out. The option is private school, but they have priced themselves out of reach for inner city families. The last time I knew it was a minimum of $7000 a year for the lower end private schools. The best 2 in the city, who have SUCH high academic requirements that the average inner city kid (who likely can't read - the system passes everybody because of the "No child left behind" crap) simply can't afford it. It is more cost effective for the family to take that several thousands of dollars and buy a house in the suburbs and send the kids to a better public school.

The city has been "dummied down" and in an effort to try and appear to be coming back, they create a lot of menial jobs (like fast food jobs and down) and post inflated statistics to appear to have created jobs. They can legitimately show that X number of jobs were created, even though that job is working on the janitorial crew at a place like the area where the Cavs play. Sure they have "a job" sweeping up 41 times per season, but does that feed a family? We just had a couple highly placed city officials found guilty of taking MANY dollars in kickbacks, as well as services in exchange for, when bidding out jobs. One guy had several thousands of dollars worth of work done on his house for free in exchange for giving a huge project to a company that was not even close to the lowest bidder. What IS good is very good. But there isn't that much good anymore.

#1 is within reach and I think they'll get there. There is nothing in Cleveland to draw young people to move there. Plenty to draw visitors, but not much there once you've seen everything once. Certainly not a lot of job opportunities for college educated types. Really a blue collar town, and as the rules of society have changed, as the economy has dipped, as leadership has shifted focus to big business, the kids now learn that they can make more money on the street of they are willing to risk getting caught selling their drugs. Most say "I'll risk it" because even if they get caught, jail is better than where they live now.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Plus one!.....And how could you....."The Donship"....possibly be immodest? If so, I'll cover my ears!
Joe G.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
A couple of great stories guys . . . Keep'm coming.

Later,

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Welp, you asked for it!

My being two months older than Bob and living in adjacent small towns in Northern Minnesota, we had many mutual friends and we would often end up at the same house parties and keggers, often sharing but one guitar between us, passing it between ourselves. One such party was at a girl’s home and we were both invited. Knowing who owned the place was just so much cerebral landfill at that time. So long as we had free beer we didn’t get involved with logistics or casting. We later discovered that the home was owned by big league talent agent, Jay Loury (sp?), from Minneapolis and our hostess was his private secretary. She danced, drank beer, and thoroughly seemed to enjoy herself.

Here’s where it gets a little immodest. About three days later I got a letter from Jay inviting me to Minneapolis for a test recording session in his studio. He mentioned his secretary (I’ll never forget old what’s-her-name) having heard me sing that previous weekend and she was very impressed with me. It was that one-in-a-million opportunity every budding musician dreams about.

It meant cutting school for several days and my parents were dead against that.

Bob did not get an invitation so I jokingly refer to that as the night that I outperformed Bob Dylan.

Recently, my son, Don Jr. shared the stage with Jakob Dylan and after recognizing my name, Jakob told my son that his dad still remembers me fondly and speaks of me frequently.

I had taught Bob that long, descending, Luther Perkins guitar intro on the Johnny Cash hit: “Home Of The Blues.” I think Bob remembers my kindness.

I often think that my parents did me an enormous favor by refusing to let me go to Minneapolis. I’ve been around professional music’s fringes long enough to see what it can do to people. It is not always kind.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Great story Don! Dylan was one of the great songwriters of our time.

He wrote songs that could speak to a generation.

Thanks for sharing.

Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Don, my old pal, I loved reading that. Thanks for posting.

I've been a Dylan fan ever since we played "Like A Rolling Stone" with the band we had at school. I bought the "Highway 61 Revisited" album on vinyl and wore it out. Now I've got it on CD and still play it regularly.

But I bet you were a better singer!

ROG.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
ROG, My modesty forced me to omit the fact that our mutual friends would wrench the guitar out of his clutches prematurely and say: "Your turn, Don!" Bob was doing Johnny Cash and Buddy Holly covers. LOL. Buddy and Johnny (nor Elvis) he is NOT!

I still can picture us...Long sideburns; Flattops; DA haircuts with absolutely no less than a pound of Palm-aide (butch wax); black leather jackets with at least 100 zippers; high engineer boots with buckles on the tops; Tee-shirts with a pack of smokes rolled up in our sleeves. The "Fonzies" of the 50s. Everything but a motorcycle. LOL.

We would "hang" at Sammy's Pizza Parlor on Friday nights and weekends sniffing out girls and parties. Incidentally, Sammy's is still there and bustling some 55 years later. That speaks to a superior quality product. Best pizza I've ever eaten.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Don,

Dylan is definitely NOT known for his guitar chops or his vocal ability!

But he could sure write songs that have stood the test of time! I've always loved his stuff.

Thank goodness "auto tune" wasn't around to "fix" his vocals. His songs can stand on the sheer strength of his songwriting ability.

Too bad we don't see any of that today.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah, Bob, I think I've stated earlier that Bob couldn't carry a tune in the proverbial hand basket and I likely told him so, but he's written some of the most beautiful and durable songs ever penned. I am proud to call him my friend.

Now, if only he had MY money...

An afterthought: Dylan IS well known for some of his chord progressions. Dylan students are very much interested in his specific chord changes. Nothing that I can demonstrate offhand but more subtle stuff like 3 and 4 minors. Stuff like that.

Last edited by Don Gaynor; 09/30/12 06:43 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I really appreciate you sharing that story Don. It's an inside look into the life of a legend.

Those are some good memories to hang on to.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Dylan is definitely NOT known for his guitar chops or his vocal ability!

Show me a more recognizable vocal sound. It won't be easy without resorting to a well known artist/song.
His vocal 'ability' served him well in my eyes.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,569
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200