Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Okay, so I am getting excited about trying my hand at writing my own lyrics. Where do I begin? Melody or story line? Or?

I have a roughed out story but no melody, yet.

I think Black Blues, ala "Mississippi" John Hurt or Muddy Waters, in a AAB format would be easiest for a rank amateur. I wrote the first verse last night but it lacks meter so I'm beginning to think that I need a melody to sync to first.

Man, we composers have our problems! Writer's block on day two?! LOL

TIA

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Read your lyrics to yourself over and over and over and see if you start to sense a cadence to them. If they don't have a timing flow, look at other ways to say the same thing. And consider contractions if you have timing issues. If you have "can't" or "don't" somewhere and need another syllable, change to "can not" or "do not". Keep rhyming in mind and start thinking about rhyming patterns. You can rhyme the 1/2 and 3/4 AABB fashion, or 1/3 and 2/4 in ABAB. Once you feel that lyrical cadence the melody will come to you.

The main thing is telling the story in order. Just like you'd tell it sitting in a living room full of people. Just tell your story.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Don,

I agree with what Eddie says. What I do is read my lyrics in time against a drum beat. If I can't get them to fit the drum rhythm, I modify them until they do.

One of the great things about BIAB is being able to put in a chord progression, pick a style and say the lyrics in time while the style is playing. I find that writing lyrics this way is very productive.

Here's an example of what I mean. It's a song on which both MarioD and I collaborated. Initially, I wrote some lyrics and spoke them in time against a BIAB accompaniment. I then sent the file to Mario for him to write a melody.

Note: the below files are streaming audio so they'll take a few seconds to kick in.

... link to original file sent to Mario

And here's the final product after tweaking tempo, lyrics, melody, chords.

... link to final song

Hope this gives you some food for thought.

Regards,
Noel

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Don, there are many resources to help spark your thoughts on this. There was a thread about a month ago that addressed this. Don't miss an opportunity to take the tried and true country music lyric writing clever twists or sideways view of idioms and so forth. I just listened to a relatively new Allison Krauss and Union Station CD I'm borrowing from the Library where one of the lines that is memorable from one of the songs goes: Every silver lining always seems to have a cloud.
There's all kinds of idioms and cliches and what not that you can play with in this way now and then.

Here's one that I just thought up to give an example.

Momma's been in traction these 6 weeks past.
My feet fall where they may; always find the crack.

Have fun with it, don't be afraid to use unconventional tools. Here's a website that is associated with the february album writing month challenge that are some tools that can help to spark thoughts. http://muse.fawm.org

Download the VersePerfect freeware app - and when you get stuck on a word, take a look at the poetry examples that VersePerfect references that include words in your existing lyric. It also has a great rhyming dictionary.

Pauses are also o.k., like a great break in a song, they have their place as well.

Try all kinds of forms. Try a refrain line only song, etc.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Don,

Lyric writing is a big subject for a wee reply. So this is a tad long. I would suggest for anyone starting out to read a book on songwriting by Jason Blume. You can get one cheap on eBay or Amazon. In the meantime here‘s my two cents.

It doesn’t matter which comes first the melody or the lyrics or both at once. I suggest you start out by using the study song method.

Find a few AABA songs or whichever form you like. Notice how the lyrics are written. Where are the rhymes, what is the cadence - the rhythm of the words, how many syllables are in each line, how do they match from stanza to stanza and verse to verse, How do the rhymes and rhythms differ in the bridge?

Next pick one of the songs and rewrite it making the changes necessary so your lyric basically syncs with your study song's lyric and melody.

Write your first draft with no pressure knowing you can go back later and change anything you want. Write the whole thing. Let it rest. Go back to it. It’s probably not feeling quite right yet.

Look at your study song’s original lyrics again. How did they describe their story or feeling? Most song lyrics combine showing (imagery) with telling. Make your lyrics show and tell too.

One other important point, it’s okay to use a cliché if there are interesting things around it. However a bunch of tired cliches thrown together to most listeners is going to be boring. They’ve all heard it a zillion times before. The only people who get away with that are already famous. Try to make your lyric fresh and interesting with your unique perspective.

Since you are using the melody of your study song as a guide you MUST change that melody completely once your new lyrics are done. It’s a learning exercise period. Your new melody must be your own creation.

Many people settle for the first melody that pops in their head. Experiment a while before you decide on the keeper. Play your new melody without the lyrics - is the feeling you want to share there?

Most songs are 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.

Once your song is finished go to the tips and tricks forum and watch the video from the link I posted there from the Nashville publisher. There’s practical advice for songwriters of all genres.

After you’ve done this exercise you’ll understand more of what he’s talking about. And once you’ve used a study song once or twice to learn the ropes, you will drop that learning crutch and write on your own..

And last but not least you can ignore everything I’m saying here, have a good time, write whatever you want, throw some music on it, call it all for fun and not worry about it. If it’s for your own enjoyment, there’s really only one person to please and that's you.

But since you asked ......

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Don, good advice above.

I always read before I go to sleep,
and I snore all night, no need for sheep,
I awake in the morning totally refreshed
which annoys the wife as I get dressed.

That's not a good example but I found jotting down stupid little rhymes like that seemed to develope into songs. I write down headlines from newspapers that catch my eye, I always have a thesaurus by my side next to the rhyming dictionary. I used to write my lyrics to songs I liked and found writing 12 bar type songs helped with the flow of words.
It doesn't happen immediately tho' and I have hundreds of scraps of paper, pre computer days, and txt files with sentences that I randomly look at now, when stuck for words.

Fire up BIAB, find a style you like, randomly input chords and repeat as necessary while saying, singing, thinking words that pop up in your head. The initial ones may be awful but then you can fine tune them when you find a tune/chord sequence you like.

One of my Dad's friends, a jazz pianist, told me not to try to hard and if a song is there it will soon appear but don't expect to write "Yesterday" at the 1st attempt. Also Paul McCartney apparently said that the 1st words to that song were "scrambled eggs"

Have fun
Alyn

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
start with some free form writing. pick a topic and sit down and write for 20 minutes. use paper and pencil and a timer and NOT a computer so you're not distracted by this forum or Facebook or whatever!

just write. don't edit...you'll do that later. if you edit as you go you'll squash your creativity. write anything and everything about your topic that comes to mind. repeat every day for a few days. now you'll have a few pages of interesting ideas to work into your song.

my next step is to pick up the guitar and work out a chord progression I like. I'll start humming along with it and pretty soon I've got one or two melody lines. then I try and fit some of my prose into the line.

rinse and repeat until you have a whole song!

another tip is, verse 1-the past, verse 2-the present and verse 3-the future.

oh and check out some of the resources available like this site, http://www.robinfrederick.com/ . I also bought her book which is fantastic.

Another cool resource I use is MasterWriter (http://www.masterwriter.com/creative_writer/index.html) It has tons of tools like rhyming dictionary, phrases, thesaurus, word families and a lot more. I use it all the time to help craft my lines.

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 10/05/12 12:23 AM.
Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Don.

You've got lots of good advice here already and possibly the only thing I can add is to be careful not to make your melody too complex. A sung melody is usually much simpler than an instrumental melody and when people write a tune on say piano or guitar, it often ends up being difficult to sing.

The rhythm of the vocal line is just as important as the notes and it's common to use what we call "nonsense lyrics" at first, just to get the number of syllables right. The nonsense lyrics are anything that comes into your head when you listen to the music and sometimes one line from these can give you an idea what the song might be about.

Composers who send music to a lyricist will often use nonsense lyrics instead of the tune played on an instrument, so the lyricist can get a better feel for how the song will be performed.

Good luck with the project!

ROG.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Lyrics that I really enjoy are those that mentally trick the listener. When you believe that you know where the story is leading, it suddenly takes a sharp detour and catches you totally unaware. It may not be the total theme but even within a verse or a single stanza.

Wow, you wonderful folks bring tears t'me wee Oyrish oyes. Thank you so much.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Don,
You have the title of your first song:
Quote:

Tears t'me wee Oyrish oyes

Alyn

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Good'n Alyn. Ony probum, Ize b'doin it in Ebonics.

K, here's dat fus vus:

Celia gal dun thowed me out dat doe
Yes, Celia dun thowed me out dee doe
Well, I won’t miss Celia but I’ll miss my dog, that’s sho

I warn'd ju!

It's a very serious first shot and I am striving for that 30s Delta Blues thing. Jimmy Rodgers did well copying the black blues-men of the era. He even used brass effectively.

I fear that nobody besides me will want to listen but its a starting point, a launching pad, if you will.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Lyrics - I usually (but not always) start with a 'ghost' song that motivates me and then start finding my own lyrics to it, using the tempo and rhythm of the 'ghost'. That helps a lot. I also just write poems (which aren't poems but songs as can be so clearly demonstrated by reading them at a poetry gathering as I have done). Still, it seems the poets don't mind at all. Maybe they would really love to write songs but don't know how? Personally, I love 'story' songs and songs with an unexpected twist that surprise the listeners and make them think. For me, invariably the lyrics come before the melody.

Software - I find MasterWriter excellent for creating lyrics. When coming to the music side of things, obviously, PG software and you might well find MS Songsmith (which has heavy input from PG Music) to be helpful

Melodies - try reading the song out loud and recording that so you can hear yourself tell it with expression. Then exaggerate the pitches as they rise and fall. The melody will soon become fairly obvious. Personally, I try to ignore styles or arrangements at this point as I believe a melody should be able to stand on its own with no music whatsoever. If it can do this, it leaves the field wide open for you to set it to absolutely ANY style. Unfortunately, too often musicians think arrangements first. I think it was Gershwin (but I'm not sure it was him, maybe somebody else) in a film about his life screamed at a composer who was working with him; "I want melodies and you are giving me arrangements!"

Keys - I find it easiest to write down the melody in the key of C as there are no sharps or flats to worry about. Once you have the melody down, you will also find it easier to arrange. Once you have done that, you can then transpose it to whatever key best suits the singer's vocal range.

Tempo and rhythm are vital - take a listen to rap (which I can't stand) as there is no melody there at all (usually) but the tempo and rhythm are vital. Rap is still song, apparently (but not in my book), but I prefer to look at it as poetry set to music. Use a metronome or a click track where you can. As a very general rule of thumb, dancing / rock tracks are somewhere around 120bpm and ballads / love songs are somewhere around 80bpm. Of course, this varies from song to song but is as good a starting place as any.

Music Styles / Arrangements - I think it must be easier with Jazz as the chord progressions are usually pretty straight forward on a 32 bar chorus. 12 bar songs are also easy but there are too many of them around. Country and Rock songs can be a lot more surprising as you may want the chord progression to follow the melody and not the other way round.

Books to read - there are plenty of really excellent books on songwriting that I could recommend but everything I have is in boxes at the moment as I moved in August into a new flat and have not had time to unpack yet. I can remember there is a Dummie's Guide which is not a bad place to start. As I recall, it also breaks things down into constituent parts and then shows you how they were built. I believe it also contains some exercises to help you on your way.

Alternatively, find yourself a collaborator. I am very lucky to have several professional musicians in my band, including a piano player who has studied composition at Vienna University. She helps me to find the melody and is teaching me how to write it down. In her opinion a dictaphone or a Zoom(?) is extremely useful as it can be used absolutely anywhere. I know my strengths - lyrics, arranging and singing. The rest I leave to the band. And it is MY band. You may find your strengths lie in other areas and you find a collaborator to write the lyrics for you. I also collaborate with another musician on HIS songs where he has a vague idea of what he wants to say (in German) but wants a full set of song lyrics for it in English. In this respect, I ask him all the possible questions I can (who, what, where, when, why, how, etc), make notes, listen to him play over and over again, scribble down ideas, discuss it some more, expand and so on. Then I start to take out bits I don't really like and then polish off. He's happy. I'm happy.

You asked for advice, this is how I work. Of course, you may totally disagree and find some other way. There is more than one way to skin a rabbit...

HTH

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Good'n Alyn. Ony probum, Ize b'doin it in Ebonics.

K, here's dat fus vus:

Celia gal dun thowed me out dat doe
Yes, Celia dun thowed me out dee doe
Well, I won’t miss Celia but I’ll miss my dog, that’s sho

I warn'd ju!

It's a very serious first shot and I am striving for that 30s Delta Blues thing. Jimmy Rodgers did well copying the black blues-men of the era. He even used brass effectively.

I fear that nobody besides me will want to listen but its a starting point, a launching pad, if you will.

The first rule of writing is -- stick to what you KNOW.

The second rule is to take what you know and state it with sincerity.

You don't know ebonics, Don. What you think are ebonics is not only dated, but is the type of language that was created not by those who used and lived the language, but by those who attempted to make a mockery of same from the outside.

And the suggestion to use your very well-founded knowledge of the Oysrish "ebonic" is a very good one.

Sometimes we don't see the value of that which we know so well and tend to look right past the obvious.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks, Mac. You've known me long enough (pushing 20 years, IIRC) to know I mean no offense.

As I type, I am listening to John Hurt's rendering of his Delta Blues styling and I hear the Hurt influence in the music of "The Singing Brakeman," Jimmy Rodgers. Hurt pushed the envelope on censorship and profanity long before it came in vogue with his song "Richland Woman" (qv).

I hope merely to capture John's pronunciation of the English language, a language that I love deeply, without offending anyone. If I'm out of line to reflect Americana as I see and feel it, then please stop me.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
And always have fun with it.....

Remember when Hammer ripped off Have You Seen Her? I used to do a comedy bit about how you can say ANYTHING if you say it fast enough and end up at home plate. And we broke into the song and I "rapped"

I get up in the morning and I go downstairs
I take a sh*t and then a shower and I comb my hair
have you seen her ... tell me have you seen her
i toast some bread i fry and egg and let the coffee brew
i feed the dog i read the paper just to get the news
have you seen her....

and then they were laughing so hard we just stopped.

Oh, I should mention at that point I was wearing big balloon pants like Hammer, a vest with no shirt, a ghetto cap and a medallion that was a hub cap hanging from lamp chain.....

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
I carry a tiny voice recorder everywhere I go. I will record a phrase or hum a melody line that occurs to me all hours of the day. I truly believe a major part of songwriting is being there and capturing those little lightbulb moments before they inevitably slip away!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Oh, I should mention at that point I was wearing big balloon pants like Hammer, a vest with no shirt, a ghetto cap and a medallion that was a hub cap hanging from lamp chain.....

LOL! It's been a long day and picturing that one in my mind was a good laugh.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,610
Posts735,057
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 192