Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I have converted a Sonar .ins file for the Roland Sonic Cell...but all I can seem to load is the GS, GM banks when I select higher banks - none of the preset banks are seen.

I know the ins file works as I use it all the time in Sonar!!!!

What am I missing in this patch map setup and or use, because I am missing something...If I cannot get BIAB to use the proper patches (NOT GM/GM2) then I will have to ask for a refund of the 2012.5 software and delete it. My 2012 version is too old to do the same.

I have only just come back to running a software setup from using hardware workstations and arrangers...

Any help appreciated..

Thanks
Dennis

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Dennis, did you convert the Calkwalk ".INS" file to a BIAB ".PAT" file using BIAB? If not, go to the pull-downs along the top row of BIAB, find the GM pull-down menu and go to the last item on that list titled: "Convert patch list from PowerTracks or Calkwalk" and follow the instruction there.

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks, yeah I already did that!!

All I get when I try to select patches for the parts are GM2 sound banks!

Veteran
Veteran
OK, so far so good. After you convert the .ini file to .pat you have to load it into BIAB. Click the + sign in the upper right corner next to the F button and patch names. This will open a window of patch names. Over on the right of this window is a button called "Open *.PAT". Click on this button and find the new .pat file that you created from the .ini file. This will append the existing .pat file with your new sounds and load in the new patches.

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Dude, stop with the breathless (!!!) stuff and comments if it doesn't work I'm sending it back!! This isn't Tweeter.

Works fine, just read and learn.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Bob, [!] these are exclamation marks - Grammar 101. Where do you get breathless from??? (triple q marks = scratching my head query)

It was not a "take my bat and ball and go home" comment at all (quotation marks used to say it is a colloquialism I am using here - or a saw)..

Merely stating that if I cannot find something works for me then I vote with my feet. VERY simple (I use caps here to empahasise not shout - just thought I would mention it)

Thanks
Dude!!

As it turns out, BIAB (caps used here as it is an acronym) is listing all the GM GM 2 (acronyms again) patches first (which is a bit different to how Sonar allows a user to list them). So it does list upper bank data, just mixes it up amongst all the other Gm/GM2 stuff.

joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
One other thing- if you don't like it, don't read it, or make comments. You are really only seeking to garner allies against something that possibly only you, find annoying.

Simply move on. As I am now doing with you. All the best to you.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Many of us strive to keep an attitude of friendliness on these forums.

Here's hoping you two will be able to kiss and make up, life's too short and Band in a Box is too much fun.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran

Quote:

I know the ins file works as I use it all the time in Sonar!!!!

Ok, no problem. Not breathless, I get it. So, what exactly are you exclaiming about?

When Mountainside suggested to do the PAT file conversion you said:

"Thanks, yeah I already did that!!" What's the reason for the exclamation points then? You answer somebody's suggestion who's just trying to help with that and it looks disrespectful to me but I could be wrong.

Your comment "I use it all the time in Sonar!!!!" Four exclamation points certainly implies that you think there must be something wrong with PG's software because it works great in Sonar. That's a impertinent comment to make when you don't understand the software yet. After some time with it, you're an expert at that point, maybe you can make that comment but not yet.

Just being calm and reasonable here, not trying to flame you or anything, maybe this is simply your style or writing but when you read many threads here that have questions you don't see that very often. Exclamation points imply shouting, disrespect, whatever you want to call it. Not necessary.

Just ask your question: How do I access the higher banks when using a Sonic Cell? Simple. Nobody cares that it works in Sonar. Nobody cares if you can't get to work properly you're going to dump the program. What's that got to do with your question?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Bob, I post that information to avoid having people (who I know are only trying to help) asking those very questions. I always give as much background when a question is asked so others know what I have tried already to avoid them wasting time and space.

For example if I state the ins file already works correctly in other software, that tells people that the INS file is indeed correctly programmed. And avoids them needing to ascertain if that then is the problem. You see where this goes? It is a lesson learned a long time ago when using forums and posting questions.

You note I did thank the poster for making the suggestion? I could have just left the "...works in Sonar" reply bare, could I not? I was thanking him for taking the time to reply, but advising that I had already discovered and implemented that after I asked the question. Perhaps three marks was a bit much, but nothing was really meant by it. And the guy who made the post did not seem to mind - well he made no comment, and probably did not notice and moreover, did not care. No offence but you seem to be the only one who has.

I do not ask questions on forums and then sit back and wait..I still continue with my own investigations in the meantime.

I don't think I used the term "dump" at all and in fact I said I might -and I emphasise might - need to return it for a refund if I could not get it working in a manner that I needed.

As it turned out BIAB did list the upper banks I use, but do it in an unusual way in that they put all the patches regardless of GM GM2 or MSB/LSB status all together in instrument only banks. Leading off with all the GM and GM2 data first. Which at first blush made it seem like the conversion had not been done correctly. It was after I started scrolling (deliberately) one by one down the lists did I eventually come across the patches I needed. And I made a separate post regarding this fact.

So I am not sure where you got dump from, the use of which also implies a rather more cavalier approach than was originally written. And in any case, that statement was rhetorical and really was not seeking or expecting a response.

I use grammatical marks in text, as text is very dry and difficult to portray intent. I am sure that were we face to face asking these same questions, you would not be making the same comments as you would clearly see there is no disrespect either tacit or overt.

I may only be new to BIAB (2012) but I was a regular user and upgrader to about version 5 or 6 which is where I stopped using it. And I have been using MIDI in both use and programming since the first Roland board to have it - the JX3p circa 1987.

By the way, using caps in full sentences is the accepted convention for shouting in "text-speak" not exclamation marks. Where there is no formatting of text (example - italics) allowed on a forum board, the use of caps for a single word is generally accepted as the way to emphasise a comment. In a way, trying to mimic our face to face communication tools of tone and facial expression.

Anyhoo, as this question has been asked and answered might I suggest we move on

I certainly hold no resentment, life is too short as Mac points out, and although the text may imply otherwise, I did not have my heartbeat elevated at any time

Cheers
Dennis

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Anyhoo, as this question has been asked and answered might I suggest we move on

I certainly hold no resentment, life is too short as Mac points out, and although the text may imply otherwise, I did not have my heartbeat elevated at any time

Cheers
Dennis

Absolutely Dennis, we're cool. It's just one of those things that bugs me, that's all. Just like this new guy Dalton426 with the ten question marks in his post title. Ten. Really? I guess five isn't enough to convey just how pissed off he is but twenty, now THAT would be over the top...

Bob

joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Cheers Bob, thanks -and ten is a tad of overkill

although he might be restraining himself a bit there..he should really let others know how he TRULY feels

Dennis

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,605
Posts735,009
Members38,513
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Juan Jose, BroDon, Xtian, michael07716, Ronsei
38,512 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186