Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I like this new song, and generally the arrangement, but I would really like any critical comments on how to improve it, esp the arrangement..thanks in advance!

I Don't Wanna (Have to Be the One to Say Good-Bye)
http://soundcloud.com/tanomusic/i-dont-wanna-have-to-be-the

Style = Ashanti1

Lyric:
I Don't Wanna (Have to be the One to Say Good-bye)

I don't wanna share tomorrow
I don't wanna bear another sorrow
I don't wanna say "It's over..", but I can't lie;
(It's over baby..)

Maybe we should find a reason
Maybe you could say that I'm not pleasin';
But leavin's in the air, and leavin' makes me cry;
And I don't wanna have to be the one to say Good-bye.

Yesterday our love was speeding;
Didn't think it would be needing feeding
So we stood and watched it fade before our eyes
(It's over baby..)

Guess we better talk about it;
Guess we're gonna have to live without it;
We've become a tangled knot that won't untie;
And I don't wanna have to be the one to say Good-bye

Do we have to keep pretending?
Mustn't be afraid of ending it?
Isn't any hope of mending it;
So let's stop here,
Without a tear.

I don't wanna pick up pieces
I don't wanna sign no long-term leases
Time to let it go, we've passed the time to try;
(It's over baby..)

Tell me that you understand me,
Tell me can fall apart and land free;
Tell me what you want, just look me in the eye;
Cause I don't wanna have to be the one to say Good-bye
I don't wanna have to be the one to say Good-bye

(Break)
Do we have to keep defending it;
So let's stop here,
I can't take tears.

I don't wanna start explaining
Nevermind the smiles, inside it's raining;
I see it in your eyes, your heart, your hands, your sighs;
(It's raining, baby..)

You've been there before to cheer me;
Long ago you swore to hold and hear me;
Now everything is done, just help me one last time;
Cause I don't wanna have to be the one to say Good-bye

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Tano,

I enjoyed listening to this. The style and the arrangement have a really good, intimate feel about them. In my opinion, there's a great deal to like about this song. I also found myself really admiring the line "We've become a tangled knot that won't untie". That is such a great metaphor! I'm jealous

You asked for some critical comments ... (Please keep in mind that these are just my opinions; they may or may not be useful. Feel free to totally disregard them.)

To my way of thinking, the song could be streamlined a bit more. The song form is a variation on the standard AABA. This is good! It's a great form to work with and you've nailed the essence of it! To be honest, though, I was ready for the change in melody (the B-section) after "But leavin's in the air ... one to say goodbye". I don't know how much formal songwriting training you've had but one of the principles that many of the top songwriters keep in mind is a principle called "the rule of two". This principle simply says that "when you've done something twice, do something different". (The Beatles were great users of this principle.) I think that that's why the B-section in AABA is often called the "Release"; it goes somewhere different and offers listeners some variation, a bit of ear candy.

One way to help streamline a song is to reduce the word count. I do this all the time. Often my first draft of lyrics is closer to a novel than a song and what I do is to whittle away the words until I'm left with somewhere between 80 and 150 of the VERY BEST words that create the strongest sense-based journey for the listener. I've found that the lyric writing principle of "trying to say more with less" is well worth the agony of working out what stays and what goes.

Another thing that stood out to me was the metaphor "I don't wanna sign no long term leases". I really liked it lots as it produced some excellent images in my mind. From a whole-lyric perspective, though, the concept seems to be at odds with the hook of "I don't want to say goodbye" which tends to sound like "I wanna sign some long term leases". Maybe that's just me being an Aussie and all.

As I said above, these are just my thoughts; nothing more. Hopefully there will be some value in them.

All the best,
Noel

P.S. MOST IMPORTANT: Please keep in mind that I'm a closet songwriter and all my comments are worth only that much Also, if songwriting is something you do for personal pleasure, the only person who has to be happy with the song is you. At the end of the day, that's all that matters.

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks Noel...your comments are most helpful! I really appreciate the assists from folks more polished than I.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Tano,
Although I'm just a songwriter hobbyist, in the spirit of collaboration, here's my two cents.
I liked your new song too, but like Noel I think it could be shorter. It's hard to hold the listeners ear much past 4:30 unless you have new elements being introduced. I think Noel had some great tips (which I'll write down in my notebook).
You asked for some input on the arrangement, how about an alto or tenor sax to fill in between the lyrics? Some Vibes or marimba fills might be interesting too.
Nice song with a sweet sensitive sentiment. Thanks for sharing.

SpaceDog

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I really like the story you tell in your lyrics.
Your delivery matches the music and your story line.

Very unusual music, but really enjoyed it.

Music is simple, good mix, with "I'd" say vocals just right levels

Thanks for sharing your work.

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Tano,

This is a very good song and some good advice as already been given.

I will add that the length of the song did not bother me. In fact you have one of two paths you can take. If you are planing for the song to get airplay then yes it is too long but if you want to tell the complete story then it is fine as is.

What I was hearing as I listened was full orchestration, strings and brass, in sections of the song. Sections of the orchestra could be playing counter point lines in areas of the song also. This would keep the interest high through out the 5 minutes, IMHO. Again this is just my opinion.

However I do believe that this is a high quality song that just needs a little polish,

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
You want to know how to improve this particular recording? Don't touch it! (Okay, maybe it is a tad bit too long, but that is how the song goes.)

I love the bright music and equally bright vocals that are expressing such sad and dark thoughts. The contrast between music/vocals and lyrics is nothing short of artistic brilliance. If you could do a rougher vocal, you have a Tom Waits or Bob Dylan hit.

This is outstanding work. (Great use of BIAB too.)

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
There's a lot of good things in the song, but I think there are a number of things that could improve it a bit. Keep in mind that this advice is probably not worth any more than you paid for it.

My initial impression is that the song drags a bit. It's not a question of length - it just feels like some of the parts are on different beats than others. Perhaps pushing them forwards/back a bit might help. I don't really know how to pin it down more than that.

I think some of the lyrics work against each other, where it sounds like the singer might be on the fence about things. So I'm suggesting the following rewrites to make the lyric unambiguous:
Quote:

We don't even need to find a reason
You could simply say that I'm not pleasin';
Leavin's in the air, and though leavin' makes me cry;
Guess I'm gonna have to be the one to says Good-bye.

Yesterday our love was so strong;
Didn't think we'd ever have tell each other "so long"
Now we stand and watch it fade before our eyes
(It's faded baby..)

I don't wanna pick up pieces
We're not gonna get to sign no long-term leases
Time to let it go, we've passed the time to try;
(It's over baby..)

You've been there before to cheer me;
Long ago you swore to hold and hear me;
Now everything is done, just help me one last time;
Cause I'm the one who's gonna have to be say Good-bye
Guess I'm the one who's gonna have to be say Good-bye
Yes, I'm the one who's gonna have to be say Good-bye

As for the music, some random thoughts:

Although I like the idea behind the staggered part at 0:12, I don't think it works for the introduction. Instead, just use the intro riff (A-B-C-D) without the cadence and jump right into the song.

There's a bit of conflict between what the singers are singing and what the keyboard player is doing, and I think that's part of the "draggy" problem. I'd make the keyboard follow the singer.

I like the change up on the drums at 1:15.

What's the "boing" sound in the background at 3:59?

I agree that the song seems a bit long, but how you want to trim it is up to you. I don't think the instrumental adds anything to the song. I think you can drop a verse without doing any real damage to the song.

All in all, I think it's a good song.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Love the tangled knot line. Tano, I agree with Noel and David.

But I'm going to add that it seems to me you are trying to write something more heart wrenching like "Neither One Of Us Wants To Be The First To Say Goodbye" - (Gladys Knight & The Pips).

Be careful about focusing on and adding too many cute and clever rhymes to your song lyrics. It can dilute the emotional punch.

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks for all the comments!
Some of my own criticism...this was a "good idea" but, after 'several decades' of it rolling around in my mind, I could never really button it up; the result is the best I want for this right now, but it's really flawed...too long, too repetitive, the lyric is not consistent in thought, etc...all the positive critiques that were given here.

Maybe others have had this kind of thing too...an idea too good not to realize, but not good enough to get really rounded out.

Well, it will stay in my private reserve for now, maybe someday I'll refine it, using you-all's good ideas.

Thanks again.

User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Tano, great vocal work! Mix wise sounded good, I would go along with the others on either doing some variation in the music or shorting the lyrics. If you are set on the lyrics i would strongly suggest maybe starting out with one or two instruments and then building up to bring the song to a close. Still a very well done piece, good luck with any future edits. Thanks for sharing!

My Music Reverbnation
My Music Soundcloud

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Tano, I still think this is a great song, with good potential, and should NOT be sidelined.

I am also impressed at the graceful way you take criticism, and don't bristle and get defensive like some of us (sometimes guilty here as well). Don't know if you ever read my private message, but I was actually the first one to post a response to your song, and wonder if I am the only one to pick up the Michael Franks connection (sometimes I make connections that may be out of the mainstream -- electricians might recognize them as "shorts.")

Brad -- My FAWM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks Brad...my easy way of taking criticism here has been formed by my many years of taking criticism from those (the one) closest to me!

You mentioned "private message"...I don't anything about that...what location are you talking about--where do I look?

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Tano:

Easy. At the top of any forum page are a series of options, the second of which is: "My Home & Settings." Of course, you have to be logged in first.

Click it, and you will see your options, and whatever private mail you have sent or received.

Brad -- My FAWM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Tano,

Nice song. A lot of good advice has already been dispensed. You have a unique style of arranging. That's a good thing.

You asked for critique, so here goes (free advice, so you get what you pay for! )...

To me the keyboard is slightly out of sync with the other tracks at times. Not saying the patterns need to be perfect, but to my ears they need to be just a little better aligned in places. In my opinion (I'm sure others will disagree) the percussion is just a tad too bright for the mood of the song. I would take it down ever so slightly, and add just a touch of reverb to it (the percussion).

But all in all, these opinions are very nit-picky, and totally subjective.

Again, a very nice song, and nice arrangement. Thanks for sharing!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Tano -

I enjoyed the song, but had a couple of niggles.

I agree with Steve that the electric keyboard seems to be a little off-beat.

When you start the verse, either you or the accompaniment is off-beat a little: it doesn't sound like you get into your groove until about the 2nd live of the verse. Line up the beat and it will sound great. Your vocal sound wonderful in the song, it just seems a little off the beat as each verse starts.

I hope that made sense. It's a great song, though.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195