Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#177590 - 10/31/12 06:27 AM [Off-Topic] Transferring MIDI files from the PC to a Yamaha keyboard
wildetudor Offline

Hello everyone,

I want to transfer some MIDI files from my PC to the internal memory of my Yamaha EZ-200 keyboard, in order to learn to play those pieces using the keyboard's Learning Mode. I connected the keyboard to my PC using a USB-MIDI cable, following the in-to-out out-to-in convention for the MIDI ports. The settings of Yamaha "MusicSoft Downloader" (the software used to copy files from a PC to a Yamaha keyboard) displays the connection as a "USB Audio Device", however I cannot browse the keyboard's internal memory in order to copy MIDI files over. This is without having installed any drivers yet, and without Windows prompting me to install anything upon connecting the keyboard to the PC.

I then downloaded and installed the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver (http://download.yamaha.com/usb_midi/index.html), however it says that no keyboard is connected. This driver is, however, meant to be used with a different cable than mine (http://www.yamahamusicsoft.com/en/instru...03?currency=USD), although the two cables seem to be essentially the same (1 USB port to 2 MIDI ports).

Was anyone able to make such a connection to an older keyboard? I am wondering whether getting this Yamaha "UX16 USB-MIDI Interface" cable would enable the software to access my keyboard's internal memory. I know the EZ200 *is* capable of having files copied to it, because it appears in MusicSoft Downloader's list of models! On the other hand, though, the keyboard appears to not have an internal memory, as there is no Record feature on it...

Any help with this would be tremendously appreciated!

#177591 - 10/31/12 06:59 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Transferring MIDI files from the PC to a Yamaha keyboard [Re: wildetudor]
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Wildetudor,

I see that this is your first post. Welcome to the BIAB community. It's a little early yet for most users, so be patient. Someone will probably be along to address your issue. Good luck, and have fun!

Richard

#177592 - 10/31/12 09:26 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Transferring MIDI files from the PC to a Yamaha keyboard [Re: Ryszard]
eddie1261 Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Someone may be able to help you but does this have anything at all to do with PG Software? I am not seeing even a mention of BIAB or RB. It sounds like an issue for the people who made your interface or Yamaha.

#177593 - 10/31/12 10:05 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Transferring MIDI files from the PC to a Yamaha keyboard [Re: eddie1261]
furry Offline
Veteran

Loc: Scottish Highlands
Have a look at yahoo groups, yamaha users. I know there's some good yamaha forums out there. Google yamaha forums and you should come up with some pointers.
From experience I'm pretty sure that you can transfer midi files into your keyboard but only yamaha ez200 files will work with the learning mode. You can download these from yamaha but they can be pricey

Whenever I have a problem, I just sing, Then I realize my voice is worse than my problem.

#177594 - 10/31/12 10:05 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Transferring MIDI files from the PC to a Yamaha keyboard [Re: eddie1261]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
Will your Yamaha read files from a USB flash drive?

Years ago when I had a Yamaha keyboard, it could read floppy disks. I would create my song on Band-in-a-Box, save as a type 1 MIDI file, do some editing with a software sequencer, save as a type 0 MIDI file (that was the only kind the stone-age Yamaha could read) and use Windows Explorer to drag the type 0 MIDI file to a floppy disk. Then I'd use the floppy to load into the Yamaha.

If your keyboard can read files on a USB flash drive, this could work for you. (And a newer keyboard might even be able to read type 1 MIDI files)

Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#177595 - 10/31/12 10:07 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Transferring MIDI files from the PC to a Yamaha keyboard [Re: eddie1261]
wildetudor Offline

Hi Eddie and Richard,

Thanks for your replies! You are right in that my question does not at all relate to any PG software products. However, when searching for a solution to this problem, I found a similar post on this forum by a user who had a slightly different problem, and who advised me to post here, since there might be keyboard players who have experienced a similar dillema and who might be able to help. I thought the "off-topic" section of the forum would be .. off-topic enough for a random question like that

I hope that's ok...

Best wishes,
Tudor

#177596 - 10/31/12 10:39 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Transferring MIDI files from the PC to a Yamaha keyboard [Re: wildetudor]
Veteran

MIDI is MIDI, so it should be cross platform. When I did this in the past it was with my Ensoniq boards, and I used an intermediate software written for the Ensoniq ESQ-1. It was a drag and drop just like moving files in windows explorer. The trick was in the software, knowing how to make native MIDI fit the format of the sequencer inside the ESQ-1. All I had to do was assign it to a sequence name inside the synth. Sounds like you have something similar to that in your near future.

#177597 - 10/31/12 10:41 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Transferring MIDI files from the PC to a Yamaha keyboard [Re: wildetudor]
Curmudgeon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Henderson, NV
Quote:

I hope that's ok...

Welcome Tudor,

I hope that you feel free to return to our group for whatever question you may have!

Don S.

#177598 - 10/31/12 10:41 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Transferring MIDI files from the PC to a Yamaha keyboard [Re: wildetudor]
wildetudor Offline

I should also mention that I asked this question on more relevant forums (e.g. the Yamaha forum, and keyboardforums.com), and received no helpful replies. The EZ200 doesn't, unfortunately, have any other connections aside from those 2 MIDI ports, so transfering MIDI files that way would be the only option.

I was suggested to use a different cable (this one: http://www.amazon.com/EMU-XMIDI-1X1-MIDI...s=emu+midi+usb) , however at this point I am really doubtful the keyboard knows how to handle external MIDI files, much less store them inside its internal memory!

#177599 - 10/31/12 10:45 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Transferring MIDI files from the PC to a Yamaha keyboard [Re: wildetudor]
wildetudor Offline

Eddie: in my case, the software that allows drag&dropping MIDIs from the PC to the keyboard would be Yamaha Software, called MusicSoft Downloader, however it does not recognise the USB-MIDI connection, and cannot access the keyboard's internal memory.

If this turn out not to work in the end, I'll probably sell the Yamaha EZ200 and get a Casio LK-280, which *is* meant to take in files, as it has an USB connection, and also has the lighted keys that allow easy visual learning of the piano pieces.

Thanks again for your help.

#177600 - 10/31/12 10:46 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Transferring MIDI files from the PC to a Yamaha keyboard [Re: wildetudor]
Veteran

I really doubt the cable is the issue. If you can communicate events to play notes, you should be able to communicate sysex data transfers. 5 pins is 5 pins.

I can tell you all about Ensoniq, including company history, but I don't know Yamaha keyboards at all. Does your synth even have a sequencer?

Once again, MIDI is MIDI. Internal, external, extraterrestrial... MIDI is MIDI. If the board is capable, there is a way to move stuff from A to B, and that "way" is called sysex (system exclusive). If your board can send and receive sysex data, you are home free. Your manual will address that.

#177601 - 10/31/12 11:06 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Transferring MIDI files from the PC to a Yamaha keyboard [Re: wildetudor]
KeithS Online   content
Expert

Loc: Mobile, Alabama
I looked at the online manual for your keyboard and it just wasn't designed to do what you want to do. Your MIDI IN and OUT is going to allow an external program to record MIDI from a performance on your keyboard, and also let an external MIDI sequencer play back a performance using the sound module on the Yamaha. You have no capabilies that I could find to record MIDI files on the EZ 200.
Windows 7 64 Bit, SONAR Platinum, Sony Vegas 13, Acid 7, Sony Audio Master Suite, Waves Horizon Bundle, Izotope Ozone 7 Advanced

#177602 - 10/31/12 11:13 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Transferring MIDI files from the PC to a Yamaha keyboard [Re: KeithS]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Quote:

I looked at the online manual for your keyboard and it just wasn't designed to do what you want to do. Your MIDI IN and OUT is going to allow an external program to record MIDI from a performance on your keyboard, and also let an external MIDI sequencer play back a performance using the sound module on the Yamaha. You have no capabilies that I could find to record MIDI files on the EZ 200.

This is the correct information.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#177603 - 10/31/12 11:13 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Transferring MIDI files from the PC to a Yamaha keyboard [Re: wildetudor]
flatfoot Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento CA
>>>...I want to transfer some MIDI files from my PC to the internal memory of my Yamaha EZ-200 keyboard...>>>

I googled the EZ 200 quickly and it seems this model does not have internal memory. On my Yamaha DGX, the songs that come installed are completely inaccessible. They cannot be moved or copied.

>>>...The settings of Yamaha "MusicSoft Downloader" (the software used to copy files from a PC to a Yamaha keyboard) displays the connection as a "USB Audio Device", however I cannot browse the keyboard's internal memory...>>>>

I beleive that's the way Yamaha intend it to work. On my keyboard the Yam software enabled copying between a PC and an SD memory card. Very difficult to use.

>>>...This driver is, however, meant to be used with a different cable than mine...>>>

I would not be at all surprised if Yam made it so that only their won cable will work.

Are you able to have the keyboard play songs from a program on your PC? I can play a song in Band in a Box and have the Yam produce the sounds. Are you able to do that? From what I can see this should be allowed, but you may need the Yam cable to do it.

>>>...I know the EZ200 *is* capable of having files copied to it, because it appears in MusicSoft Downloader's list of models!...>>>

Try downloading a manual for this instrument and see what it says.

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab

#177604 - 10/31/12 11:48 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Transferring MIDI files from the PC to a Yamaha keyboard [Re: flatfoot]
Veteran

Okay, you may need to define "files". "Files" as in banks of presets that replace the factory presets, or "files" as in sequences? Huge difference there. I still have a Yamaha FB-01 module from the 80s that would accept custom designed sounds via sysex, but it had no sequencer. The banks of sounds are "files" too. I suspect you have something similar going on here.

Nothing says that you can't PLAY those sequences from another storage and playback device. That would come down to the capability of your synthesizer, i.e. how many voices is it. If it's an 8 voice, you are splitting those 8 voices between different instruments playing back on your tracks.

Again deferring to those more schooled on Yamaha, is his model higher end or lower end? If it has no sequencer, I assume it's the latter, particularly knowing how long ago onboard sequencers became the standard issue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
RealBand 2018 Build 5 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 customers can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_5

Summary of Changes for Build 5
Added: When generating the input file for saving as an MGU/SGU SongMode128= is saved to the input file.
Added: Localization support for 2018.
Added: flyby hints to new dialogs.
Fixed: Save As with a filename greater than 128 chars could cause an error 123 plus access violation.
Fixed: Rebooting RealBand after a filename with 128 chars was saved could cause an access violation.
Fixed: Pressing the Change button in the Event List Window could result in an access violation if an event was not a Note event.
Fixed: When running in Win 10, and using BBW or PT to generate audio harmonies, an error would occur saying that you need BB 2011 or PT 12 to generate audio harmonies.
Fixed: Midi Thru Method was not being saved to the .INI file. It always reverting to Track-Specific when booting up RealBand, even if the user manually changed the setting to Global in the Midi Thru Settings dialog.
Fixed: Delete All Notes on This Peg menu item in notation window right-click menu was missing.
Fixed: Potential crash on exit (having to do with the DLL attempting to free up a dynamic array that was passed to it).

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Build 512 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows customers can download the latest free patch update here: www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#512

Summary of changes for Build 512 since 510 (Feb 15 2018):
Fixed: "Load SoundTrack Song" and "Load song with RealDrums Audio" buttons in the Sound Track dialog were not working.
Fixed: After returning Band-in-a-Box to factory settings the File Open dialog would default to the bb\Data\Lib directory.
Fixed: Choosing a custom chord sheet font would ignore any color choice made in the font selection dialog.
Fixed: Drum names were sometimes truncated in the RealDrums MultiDrums and Quicklist dialogs.
Fixed: Exporting a MIDI file might cause the error, "MIDIConv.exe no found".
Fixed: Mixer changes were not undoable, and would not cause user to be prompted to save their song when exiting.
Fixed: Static in RT2438 and other various RealTracks fixes.
Fixed: StylePicker database various updates. Some styles were displaying the wrong feel (swing/even) in notation. A few styles incorrectly showed missing Drums.
Fixed: The audio latency setting would increase every time leaving the Windows Audio Devices dialog.
Fixed: The Download Manager folder name defaulted to 2016 instead of 2018.
Updated: Help file.

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is Here!

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is here! PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 includes many new features and enhancements:

Windows Audio (WASAPI) driver support. This allows for low latency audio recording/playback without requiring ASIO. Note that this supports 1 stereo input plus 1 stereo output at a time. For multiple inputs/outputs, you should continue to use either MME or ASIO.

ABC Notation format support. You can save a track of notation in a popular ASCII text format to import into other programs, or you can paste this format into a user forum as a way of sending the track (usually the melody and chord symbols) to other users without having to attach a file.

The built-in Audio Chord Wizard detection in the Chords window automatically detects the chords of the song, based on the audio data from all non-muted audio tracks. This works similar to the standalone Audio Chord Wizard, except that it uses the current bar lines of the existing song.

Notation Enhancements:
-X/8 time signature support. This is a special method of displaying 6/8, 9/8, or 12/8 time signatures in the Notation window.
-The Duplicate previous chord in notation right-click menu lets you quickly duplicate the previous chord (group of notes on same peg) without having to reenter it.
-Delete highlighted notes in notation right-click menu lets you delete all highlighted notes.
-Delete all notes on this peg in notation right-click menu lets you delete all notes on the nearest peg that was clicked on.
-You can now enter Section Numbers. Previously, you could enter letters (A-Z) only, but now you can also enter numbers (1-9).

...a full list of the new features in PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is available at http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.features.htm

http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm

#TBT - The Beginning of Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box®

We released the much-loved Xtra Styles PAKs in August 2016! This release included 164 RealStyles for Jazz, Country, Rock-Pop, and Singer/Songwriter and worked with any Band-in-a-Box® 2016 or higher UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition!

Xtra Styles PAKs were such a hit... we couldn't stop making them! Since their introduction, we've released 3 more PAKs with a total of over 600 Xtra Styles in all!

Want to hear what other program users are doing with their Xtra Styles? Visit our Xtra STyles Contests forum to hear all the songs submitted during previous song contest we've had: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=102&page=1

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs and listen to their demos at http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win.

Band-in-a-Box® Customer Feedback - Feel The Love!

Check out some great feedback we've received on our Facebook account from program users:

"I have been using Band-in-a-Box for years. It is the anchor of my music gigs as well as my fun in my studio. I have used other software but Band-in-a-Box is my main go to."
-Jack T.

"Love Band-in-a-Box. As someone who played professionally for 20 years and retired from live performing years ago, I still love music. Band-in-a-Box allows me to create fun arrangements which I can sing over or play over. There are THOUSANDS of different variations plus you can enter any chords you like and create any chart. It's also great for creating background tracks for videos and audio content for websites, training etc. And like everything else in the world . . . it may not be right for everyone. For those who love music and don't have the time to shed five or six instruments it's way cool."
-Vinnie R.

"This program has completely changed my playing for the good. I can experiment with playing chords and leads over various scenarios that I can quickly create and change. Love this program. I use it nearly every day."
-Dave R.

"I bought my first version in 1994 and have progressed to 2018 version. I use it to create backing tracks for live music performance. I currently have over 2,000 songs performance ready. If you can and type, and use mouse it will work for you."
-Roger M.

"The premiere reason for me for buying this program; it has given me the freedom to fully complete the foundation for my songs without the confinement of limited minded musicians. After the song concept is complete, it can then be presented those musicians to play as a cover song. Also writing a song with a band gives them partial ownership of your idea... not cool... especially since they may have fought your idea every step of the way.. Every member of an organized band should own a copy of this program to compose or to even give legitimate composition alternatives to the original songwriter."
-Paul V.

Thanks everyone!

Support for ABC Notation Format in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows!

ABC notation is the simple text-based notation system used by musicians worldwide to store chords, melody, and lyrics of songs. Now with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows you can open and save songs in ABC notation format!

To save the song in ABC notation format, press the [Save As] toolbar button and choose Save as ABC notation file from the menu. Once opened, select a track that you want to save and choose your other criteria - The [Copy to clipboard] button will copy the file to the clipboard (that you can then paste it into other programs). The [Save as File] button will let you type a name and select the destination in your hard drive.

Band-in-a-Box® Song Title Browser Requests Forum

Have you stumped the Song Title Browser feature in the Band-in-a-Box® StylePicker?

If you tried to search for a popular song and this feature didn't offer you any listings, we'd love it if you'd let us know in our Wishlist forum here.

Posting your requests to this forum really does work - we used it to increase the database with the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 release!

Forum Stats
27108 Members
49 Forums
50254 Topics
412382 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Alex Westner, eschnack, krecords, Tuneslayer, donalcert

27108 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 296
Matt Finley 277