Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#179105 - 11/16/12 08:40 PM [Off-Topic] Popular Christmas songs - a list of public domain and not
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Since the holiday season is upon us. I thought this list from CdBaby might be helpful. For those who don’t write their own - here’s a list of public domain Christmas songs that anyone is free to cover. So here’s your chance to show off your real band and BIAB chops even if you don’t write originals.

Angels We Have Heard On High
Auld Lang Syne
Away In A Manger
Coventry Carol
Deck The Halls
For Unto Us
Go Tell It On The Mountain
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
Good King Wenceslas
Hallelujah Chorus
Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
Here We Come A-Caroling (Wassail Song)
I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day
I Saw Three Ships
In The Bleak Midwinter
It Came Upon The Midnight Clear
Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring
Jingle Bells
Jolly Old St. Nicholas
Joy To The World
O Come All Ye Faithful
O Come O Come Emmanuel
O Holy Night
O Little Town Of Bethlehem
Once In Royal David’s City
Silent Night
The First Noel
The Twelve Days of Christmas
Up On The Housetop
We Three Kings
We Wish You A Merry Christma
What Child Is This

NOT IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN - All below are under Copyright meaning covers require permission from the copyright holder.

A Holly Jolly Christmas
All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth
Carol Of The Bells
Do You Hear What I Hear?
Feliz Navidad
Frosty The Snowman
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
Here Comes Santa Claus (Right Down Santa Claus Lane)
I’ll Be Home For Christmas
It’s The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year
Jingle Bell Rock
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
Little Drummer Boy
Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree
Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer
Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
Silver Bells
Sleigh Ride
The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)
White Christmas
Winter Wonderland

#179106 - 11/16/12 09:19 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Popular Christmas songs - a list of public domain and not [Re: Sundance]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
thanks Josie!

#179107 - 11/16/12 09:54 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Popular Christmas songs - a list of public domain and not [Re: Pat Marr]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Handel's Messiah

That's GOT to be public domain.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#179108 - 11/16/12 11:30 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Popular Christmas songs - a list of public domain and not [Re: Mac]
JohnJohnJohn Offline
Veteran

nice list!

I don't think you need permission if the work has been published. but you would need to pay royalties. as a practical matter, if you're not making money off it you can probably record any of the songs and never be bothered!

#179109 - 11/17/12 02:39 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Popular Christmas songs - a list of public domain and not [Re: JohnJohnJohn]
sinbad Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Germany
Quote:

nice list!

I don't think you need permission if the work has been published. but you would need to pay royalties. as a practical matter, if you're not making money off it you can probably record any of the songs and never be bothered!

If you don't distribute them and keep them off the internet then ok.

#179110 - 11/17/12 08:43 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Popular Christmas songs - a list of public domain and not [Re: sinbad]
insolentlad Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Graceville FL
About 'I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day' -- the poem by Longfellow has been set by more than one composer and not all versions are public domain. Make sure you do the old Calkin version, not the more modern one by Johnny Marks (both are lovely tunes).

#179111 - 11/17/12 09:36 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Popular Christmas songs - a list of public domain and not [Re: insolentlad]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
You can get many of these already entered by getting Norton's Christmas Fake Disk:
http://www.nortonmusic.com/fake15.html

275 Holiday tunes! It's a Holiday Party-in-a-Box!

Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#179112 - 11/17/12 09:40 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Popular Christmas songs - a list of public domain and not [Re: insolentlad]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Quote:

About 'I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day' -- the poem by Longfellow has been set by more than one composer and not all versions are public domain. Make sure you do the old Calkin version, not the more modern one by Johnny Marks (both are lovely tunes).

I think Josie was coming from the direction of making our own versions of these songs and posting them to the showcase (since they are PD) rather than covering an existing version that is protected. But you're right, just because the SONG is PD doesn't mean that we can copy specific versions

I'm looking forward to hearing some PD Christmas song interpretations on the showcase pretty soon! (good idea, Josie! I can't wait to hear YOUR adaptations of as many Christmas songs as you can come up with))

#179113 - 11/17/12 12:33 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Popular Christmas songs - a list of public domain and not [Re: Pat Marr]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

For covers it's easy to go through Harry Fox or Limelight but I added those still under copyright because those songs are so popular that sometimes people assume they are PD when they're not.

Pat that's exactly what I meant - for people here to do their own version of a PD. I think it would be fun to hear people we don't get to hear much on the user's showcase and for those that we do too. So I'm hoping you'll do one and other guys/gals will post one as well. I'm planning on doing one.

#179114 - 11/17/12 01:08 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Popular Christmas songs - a list of public domain and not [Re: Sundance]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Quote:

For covers it's easy to go through Harry Fox or Limelight but I added those still under copyright because those songs are so popular that sometimes people assume they are PD when they're not.

Pat that's exactly what I meant - for people here to do their own version of a PD. I think it would be fun to hear people we don't get to hear much on the user's showcase and for those that we do too. So I'm hoping you'll do one and other guys/gals will post one as well. I'm planning on doing one.

The year RB was first introduced I immediately made a couple of Christmas carols I liked a lot.. and just before I posted them, a thread like this made me aware that they were BOTH still under copyright! Which illustrates your point that it's easy to assume that songs we've listened to forever must be PD, and which makes me thankful that you reminded us which are which SO I DON'T GO OLD MAN BRAIN DEAD AND REPEAT MY MISTAKE!

Come on people! Let's rally around Josie's idea and post some original versions of Christmas music!

CHRISTMAS SPIRIT-O-METER
Grinch_____________/_Josie

#179115 - 11/17/12 04:40 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Popular Christmas songs - a list of public domain and not [Re: Pat Marr]
Jinx Offline

I produced a 2-CD Christmas Album for Clare Brett - 80% of the backing is BIAB. We had to license 20 of the songs. Clare has been performing these songs for years and wanted to record them so they were 'on record' so to speak. The album can be heard here:

CD Baby
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/clarebrett (CD and mp3)
iTunes
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/mistletoe-memories/id576124322 (mp3 quality)
Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Mistletoe-Memories...71&sr=301-1 (mp3 quality)

#179116 - 11/18/12 08:59 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Popular Christmas songs - a list of public domain and not [Re: Pat Marr]
insolentlad Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Graceville FL
Quote:

Quote:

I think Josie was coming from the direction of making our own versions of these songs and posting them to the showcase (since they are PD) rather than covering an existing version that is protected. But you're right, just because the SONG is PD doesn't mean that we can copy specific versions

I'm looking forward to hearing some PD Christmas song interpretations on the showcase pretty soon! (good idea, Josie! I can't wait to hear YOUR adaptations of as many Christmas songs as you can come up with))

I wasn't talking about arrangements -- I meant two totally different tunes, one of which is public domain and the other copyrighted. Both are out there on sheet music so check the composer's name.

#179117 - 11/18/12 11:59 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Popular Christmas songs - a list of public domain and not [Re: insolentlad]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I wasn't talking about arrangements -- I meant two totally different tunes, one of which is public domain and the other copyrighted. Both are out there on sheet music so check the composer's name.

good point. I misunderstood

#179118 - 11/21/12 12:07 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Popular Christmas songs - a list of public domain and not [Re: Pat Marr]
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
I did this version of the Huron Carol in the native American Huron language 4 years ago. Supposedly, there's perhaps one person left on the planet that spoke this language as a first language. Bruce Cockburn did this song in a much faster pace, but the minor chord carols to me should always be slowed and chilled. Best when listened to with headphones.

Iesus Ahatonnia - Scott Lake, Andy McRory and Victor Eijkhout

Some credits necessary - from across the interwebs, Andy McRory sent me a fretless bass guitar track, and Victor Eijkhout sent me several tracks of wooden recorders that I also dubbed in. The nature sounds are all from the Freesound Project, manipulated and edited by me. I played classical guitar, and synth lead. The classical guitar tracks were played single notes at a time, since some of the chords really spread larger on the fretboard than what I could physically play. I also did the singing and tried not to butcher but pay respect to the wonder and perhaps confusion that the native Americans felt when presented with the story of Christ. There are some syllables which sound 'closed' and supposedly that is the way that they are pronounced.

Certainly not a popular Christmas song, but one that has haunted me since first hearing an instrumental version on a Dan Gibson Solitudes CD 20 years or so ago. I owe deep gratitude to Andy and Victor for adding real class to the song. Out of all of the 'experimental' music I have attempted over the years, this one is one of my favorites. I really dig Andy and Victor's parts. I could listen to fretless bass for hours!

For the lyrics, Bruce Cockburn has an article on it on this website: http://cockburnproject.net/songs&music/ia.html

Last Christmas, I did a quick version of Greensleeves/What Child Is This? on classical guitar.

http://rockstarnot.rekkerd.org/songs/2011/Scott%20Lake%20-%20What%20Child%20Is%20This.mp3

-Scott

#179119 - 11/21/12 01:40 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Popular Christmas songs - a list of public domain and not [Re: rockstar_not]
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Truly wonderful, both songs. I have shivers all over and can feel the spirit of Christmas. I performed "What child is this" at a Christmas concert a couple of years and it always brings a lump to my throat. Thanks for sharing

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Introducing... RealTracks Artists David Wise & Shelly Justice!

For the first time ever Band-in-a-Box® can generate backing vocals with some amazing "oohs" and "aahs" vocal arrangements with RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs! Add male or female parts by renowned Nashville vocalists David Wise and Shelly Justice, and you'll LOVE the results!

David and Shelly have recorded with many different artists, including CeCe Winans, Dolly Parton, Don Henley, Donnie McClurkin, Jeremy Camp, Lady Antebellum, OneRepublic, Steve Green, and more!

RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs includes a three-part, six-voice arrangement – which you can use all together in your song or individually for more delicate textures! Listen to the demos for RealTracks Set 278 here.

Purchase RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs for just $29 here. It's also included in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows PlusPAK, UltraPAK, and Audiophile Edition.

Learn more about Dave & Shelly when you visit their RealTracks Artist Bio page:
David Wise: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=150
Shelly Justice: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=151

#TechTipTuesday - Band-in-a-Box® Patch Updates

If you're ever experiencing an issue with your Band-in-a-Box program, make sure you have the most recent patch update for your version - this can be done at http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm.

Patch updates are released frequently, and are created by our development team to fix any reported bugs, tweak existing features within the program, update demos and other files as needed, and more!

To find out which version of the program you have, visit Help | About Band-in-a-Box within the program. You will see the full version number listing as:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2018 (512)

The number in parentheses is the build number. As you can see, my Band-in-a-Box is up to date and will continue to stay that way because I've selected "Automatically check for updates every 7 days" within the Help | Check for Updates.... option (you can set the number of days to a different number). This window will also look to see if you're version is up to date, so you don't technically have to visit http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm if you didn't want to!

Once you've installed your patch update (make sure the program is closed when you're doing this), give it another try - if you are still experiencing the same issue you can report it by contacting us directly, or you can post your result to the Forum thread that also announces the patch update, like our recent Band-in-a-Box 2018 Build 512 Update (Feb 15) post.

YouTube Find - How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES

Check out one of EricBlackmonGuitar's latest videos, How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES and you'll hear a great Band-in-a-Box backing track!

http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=blJPIX-9YbE

...and you'll also learn how to play blues with just a few notes!

A Little Bit Of Me Music Video!

A great music video created by forum user Floyd Jane! https://youtu.be/qPrejgnwb4M?t=3600

This song was featured in a detailed "The Birth of a Song" video created by Floyd Jane - watch the complete video here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=qPrejgnwb4M

RealBand 2018 Build 5 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 customers can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_5

Summary of Changes for Build 5
Added: When generating the input file for saving as an MGU/SGU SongMode128= is saved to the input file.
Added: Localization support for 2018.
Added: flyby hints to new dialogs.
Fixed: Save As with a filename greater than 128 chars could cause an error 123 plus access violation.
Fixed: Rebooting RealBand after a filename with 128 chars was saved could cause an access violation.
Fixed: Pressing the Change button in the Event List Window could result in an access violation if an event was not a Note event.
Fixed: When running in Win 10, and using BBW or PT to generate audio harmonies, an error would occur saying that you need BB 2011 or PT 12 to generate audio harmonies.
Fixed: Midi Thru Method was not being saved to the .INI file. It always reverting to Track-Specific when booting up RealBand, even if the user manually changed the setting to Global in the Midi Thru Settings dialog.
Fixed: Delete All Notes on This Peg menu item in notation window right-click menu was missing.
Fixed: Potential crash on exit (having to do with the DLL attempting to free up a dynamic array that was passed to it).

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Build 512 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows customers can download the latest free patch update here: www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#512

Summary of changes for Build 512 since 510 (Feb 15 2018):
Fixed: "Load SoundTrack Song" and "Load song with RealDrums Audio" buttons in the Sound Track dialog were not working.
Fixed: After returning Band-in-a-Box to factory settings the File Open dialog would default to the bb\Data\Lib directory.
Fixed: Choosing a custom chord sheet font would ignore any color choice made in the font selection dialog.
Fixed: Drum names were sometimes truncated in the RealDrums MultiDrums and Quicklist dialogs.
Fixed: Exporting a MIDI file might cause the error, "MIDIConv.exe no found".
Fixed: Mixer changes were not undoable, and would not cause user to be prompted to save their song when exiting.
Fixed: Static in RT2438 and other various RealTracks fixes.
Fixed: StylePicker database various updates. Some styles were displaying the wrong feel (swing/even) in notation. A few styles incorrectly showed missing Drums.
Fixed: The audio latency setting would increase every time leaving the Windows Audio Devices dialog.
Fixed: The Download Manager folder name defaulted to 2016 instead of 2018.
Updated: Help file.

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is Here!

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is here! PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 includes many new features and enhancements:

Windows Audio (WASAPI) driver support. This allows for low latency audio recording/playback without requiring ASIO. Note that this supports 1 stereo input plus 1 stereo output at a time. For multiple inputs/outputs, you should continue to use either MME or ASIO.

ABC Notation format support. You can save a track of notation in a popular ASCII text format to import into other programs, or you can paste this format into a user forum as a way of sending the track (usually the melody and chord symbols) to other users without having to attach a file.

The built-in Audio Chord Wizard detection in the Chords window automatically detects the chords of the song, based on the audio data from all non-muted audio tracks. This works similar to the standalone Audio Chord Wizard, except that it uses the current bar lines of the existing song.

Notation Enhancements:
-X/8 time signature support. This is a special method of displaying 6/8, 9/8, or 12/8 time signatures in the Notation window.
-The Duplicate previous chord in notation right-click menu lets you quickly duplicate the previous chord (group of notes on same peg) without having to reenter it.
-Delete highlighted notes in notation right-click menu lets you delete all highlighted notes.
-Delete all notes on this peg in notation right-click menu lets you delete all notes on the nearest peg that was clicked on.
-You can now enter Section Numbers. Previously, you could enter letters (A-Z) only, but now you can also enter numbers (1-9).

...a full list of the new features in PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is available at http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.features.htm

http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm

Forum Stats
27131 Members
49 Forums
50319 Topics
412988 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Literary Mayhem, Jknadler61, Stephanus L, thatsastrat, Michael R. Boyce

27130 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 252