Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I know there are a number of people here that work in the audio industry and others that just know a lot more about it than I do so I'm posting here.

It's for a future project I'm working on. I'm looking to build something that will create a pulsed electromagnetic field in discreet frequencies from 5Hz to 200Hz. The 200Hz is easy but the 5Hz is the problem. I found a "reference amp" that went down to DC but the price range was out of this world.

It needs to be 100W, preferably mono or stereo bridged. 2 or 4 ohms would probably be perfect.

Any suggestions? I'd like to also minimize the cost.

---------

I figure I could create the square wave input with a computer or Arduino board, feed it through the amp, and build a coil to create the electromagnetic field. I might need help with the coil too, but I figure I can wind a coil, buy or preferably rent a gaussmeter and do some experimentation.

---------

You might ask what I'm building? I want to build a PEMF (PEMFt) device (google that if interested).

Here is the back story:

My mother-in-law has Parkinson's disease. Brother-in-law Bill works to connect venture capitalists with people needing investments. Brother-in-law Kevin is a world famous doctor (lectures other doctors all over the world).

So Bill was trying to connect investors with a guy who is building PEMFt machines to be sold to the medical profession. PEMFt is approved for pain clinics, bone repair, and veterinary medicine in the USA and a lot of other uses in Europe, Australia and other countries. In some of those other countries PEMFt has shown to help a large percentage of Parkinson's patients. Kevin says it definitely won't hurt to use the machines and there is a chance it might help.

Parkinson's isn't curable and the medicines that treat the symptoms have less and less effect as time goes on, so anything that can slow the eventual decline and perhaps even show some slight improvement is a good thing.

I read a lot about PEMF/PEMFt and it seems like proverbial "snake oil" - too good to be true. But Kevin says it definitely won't hurt.

The guy building the machines that Bill is trying to connect to investors doesn't have FDA approval to sell them yet (it's a loooooooong process), but is letting people use them while he takes notes and evaluates the progress or lack of progress of the people that come in. He isn't allowed to charge money, so he has a tip jar to help pay for the electric consumption.

OK it's getting like a B movie, isn't it??? Waiting for the "Bride of Frankenstein" to appear at any moment (she was hot, wasn't she? -- and that hair-do -- wow!)

OK to get serious again...

So we figure, it won't hurt, and we bring mother-in-law down for a month's worth of treatment. The problem is that it's 2 hours each way in moderate traffic, and another hour for treatment - and at 5+ hours used up, the day for us is shot - as self-employed people that means no income generated. But mom is worth it. So we did it for a month.

Problem was complicated by mom needing surgery for arthritis in the neck and got a portable PEMF device to help the bones grow back. The portable device was programmed to die in 90 days.

While we were taking mom Leilani and I figured, it wouldn't hurt so why not spend the hour getting zapped instead of sitting in the waiting room. After a month I noticed much better eyesight. I'm farsighted and even when these glasses were new, I couldn't read tiny type. Now with my glasses I can read things I couldn't read with a magnifying glass and my glasses when they were new! I also noticed a little finger that I injured many years ago that gave me pain while playing guitar and certain notes on the saxophone doesn't hurt at all an more. Also a sharper and quicker mind. Leilani noticed improvements as well. So maybe it isn't snake-oil after all.

Well they sell home units, but (1) they are underpowered by comparison and (2) at least $4,000 each. The ones they use that are proper powered for pain clinics and race horses cost $20,000 and up. OUCH!

So I figure I can build something that creates an electromagnetic field, after all, that's what the voice coil in a speaker does. So I contact an engineering friend who gave me a few pointers, reassured me that my thinking is right, and I'm out to build a PEMFt machine that isn't 4 hours away. They won't have the automatic control for frequency and timing that the expensive units have, but I can set frequency with the signal generator and use an alarm clock for timing.

At least investigating if it is affordable. I figure I can produce the square wave. I've even seen old Heathkit devices for sale on eBay.

So the biggest problem now is an affordable power amp that can go down to 5Hz. Once I locate that, then I'll investigate the gaussmeter and coil construction.

Any help with the amp?

Thanks,
Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
First thing to know is the Impedance of your coil...

The Impedance is important because any amplifier you find will have to be able to develop your required 100W into that impedance.

So what is the size of this coil, what is the gauge of presumably copper wire of this coil, does the coil have a ferrite or iron core in it or is it an air core?

For something as you describe, I'm thinking that a full on Audio amplifier may not be needed, although it is "off the shelf" -- what you describe likely does not need to be a High Fidelity amplifier. That could then make the entire process a lot less expensive. Could be as little as a couple or four FET outputs on a heatsink with a small driver board. (For pulsing a coil with sqarewaves from the given ~5hZ to 200KHz, a signal generator or waveform gen would be $$$ OVERKILL. A 'Triple Nickel' LM555 IC and a handful of components can be used as the generator. And FETs may not be the best route, either, I'd consider the lowly SCR (Silicon Controlled Rectifier) as the driver, definitely.)

Feel free to PM me, Bob.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Square wave pulse? Sounds like good old CW to me.But faster.LOL. Find an old Crown DC300. They went down to DC.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I would think that portable Pain Management devices would be of interest to the Veteran's Administration (VA) or Disabled American Veterans (DAV) and they have $$$ to throw at it. I will help in any way possible, Bob. Another idea might be to contact medical schools and get the school involved, perhaps as a doctoral thesis project.

Addendum: I have one VA Dr friend who is a Psychiatrist and fellow musician who, if nothing else, could open some doors for you.

Last edited by Don Gaynor; 12/17/12 09:39 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I have no intent on marketing this thing. FDA approval is both expensive and time consuming. There are already approved devices out there used in pain clinics in the USA and for other purposes in other civilized countries. Plus I don't want the responsibility for anyone else's health.

If you google PEMF and PEMFt you will find the applications for this to be widespread. Arthritis, vision problems, bone regeneration, nerve regeneration and tons of others including to relieve the symptoms of Parkinson's Disease. PD is a brain disease. Among other things it causes limb tremors, which the drugs mostly control, but also, PD patients fall a lot as the brain and the legs sometime don't coordinate. This is a severe problem as mom hurts herself when she falls. She lives alone and refuses to go into an assisted care facility.

So if I can build this thing, it will definitely continue to help my eyesight, finger injury, and brain quickness, and if it relieves mom from one fall, it's worth the money.

And I forgot to mention. I've had bursitis in my hip since I was a teenager. It's a family thing on my father's side (thanks Dad). All traces of it are gone. PEMFt is supposed to work for arthritis too.

I'd still be taking her to the already invented machine, if it were not a 5 or more hour day and a half tank of gas.

The Crown amp looks good, and there are a lot of them for sale. Thanks John.

I might go with the signal generator instead of the computer as then I could rack everything together.

All and all I want the field to be 20 - 30 Gauss. I haven't investigated which frequencies do which job yet. There is a lot of research to be done before I start, and I'm gigging a lot this time of year, so I don't expect to have it done next year.

And Mac, a PM is coming your way.

Thanks all.

Any more info is appreciated.

Bob

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
One more thing, I read that NASA uses PEMF for manned space flight as human life is depending on the natural PEMF of planet earth which is much weaker in orbit. The more I research PEMF the more amazed I am. Like I said, if I didn't have first hand experience with the benefits, I'd think this kind of thing to be akin to quackery.

It's Monday, no gig today, so I'll catch up on some Norton Music stuff. Birthday gig tomorrow and then more holiday parties. Life is good!

I think all I need now is the formulas or advice on winding the coils. The will be air core (or human body part core), big enough to fit a human head into, and 4 ohms impedance. I'm supposing the variables are wire gauge, number of windings, and diameter. The field should be 20 - 30 Gauss, and I need to find the formulas for that.

Notes

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
How about a rack mount analog synth set to square wave. Not sure if it'll go down to 5 Hz.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Notes, yes, the good old Crown DC300/DC350 series amps will go right down to DC.

Take a look at "function generators" rather than "signal" generators, too.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Another thought I also have is this:Are you going to want and rectify the output so that the coil always sees the same polarity. I may not be saying this right but I think you know what I mean. If the output is actually AC even though square wave the magnetic field will also switch poles North/South based on this oscillation. Maybe what you really want is pulsating DC? AKA rectified AC but unfiltered.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hmm, not sure. Rectified DC seems to make more sense and switchable N or S polarity.

Thanks again.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Hmm, not sure. Rectified DC seems to make more sense and switchable N or S polarity.

I suspect this could be more important than it first appears... given that the human body seems to contain a balance of forces at pretty much every level (at least that I've read about) it may actually be important to balance the N's with the S's. (I have no desire to get into a metaphysical Yin/Yang type debate here, it's just an observation)

Might be worth checking the NASA patent if you can locate it as it will probably mention that aspect.

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Just had a quick look - couldn't find a NASA patent but did find a trademark..?

This patent information did come up though - haven't read 'em so I don't know if they'll help:
http://www.google.com/patents/US6132362
http://www.google.com/patents/US5181902
http://www.google.com/patents/US5743844
http://www.google.com/patents/US6443883

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Found a book translated from German that says this cures tinnitus in a large percentage of cases. This might make this thread on topic, since many musicians suffer from tinnitus.

Notes

Last edited by Notes Norton; 12/17/12 06:01 PM.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I think I'd REALLY like to see the details of what you eventually come up with...

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'll share, but of course, you accept full responsibility and use at your own risk.

Of course, if anyone wants to help with the research, we can make it a group project.

The possibility of reducing tinnitus, relieving arthritis, improving nerve conduction speed, regenerating nerves, better vision, and speedier brain functions are things that many musicians can benefit from.

Early gig today, so I don't have much time to google. My next step is to find out if it's really a square wave or pulsed on/off. Gigs straight through Sunday too. It's a great time of the year to be a musician in Florida.

Notes

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Notes, there's an online square waveform generator here: save to .wav is part of the page. Burn to CD. Done.

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiofrequencysignalgenerator_squaretone.php

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Scott. They are of short duration, but I'm sure audacity can fix that after downloading.

Plus I'll have to make sure the CD player will go down to 5Hz

I also found a "Spectro Signal Generator" - shareware for about $10 - I could use a laptop if the USB to Audio interface has a wide enough bandwidth. I checked the manual for my Edirol units but bandwidth is not noted in the specs. I suppose I could go computer to computer and use Audacity for a check.

Right now I'm trying to find out if I really need a square wave or more of a pulsed wave (for lack of a better term: a square wave with no zero crossing).

But I've got a one-nighter gig every day until Christmas Eve so my googleing and/or testing will be limited until after Christmas.

Bob

Last edited by Notes Norton; 12/19/12 08:47 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Haven't had a lot of google time, but so far this is what I suspect:

The source is not really a square wave that goes from + to - but either from + to 0 or - to 0.

More googling next week. Early setup for another gig today.

Notes

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Quote:

Haven't had a lot of google time, but so far this is what I suspect:

The source is not really a square wave that goes from + to - but either from + to 0 or - to 0.

More googling next week. Early setup for another gig today.

Notes

This really shouldn't matter if you are converting this through a coil I would think. Seems like you have more homework to do.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,608
Posts735,032
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185