Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
What are the best sites to download Midi Karaoke or Song files that are truest to the original arrangements ?

I'm into the classic rock and pop from 70's and 80's, as well as singer/songwriter stuff (from the same era - I'm old), and would also like to get into some of the more recent rock and pop.

Quite some time ago (many years!!!) I downloaded everything that "?Allanah?" (forget the exact name) had compiled, and found some really great stuff in there. Many years have passed - I need to update my Karaoke Library - one of my favorite uses of RB is "Karaoke" night using RB in conjunction with downloaded Karaoke MIDI transcriptions, with the option of recording (have any of you tried it ? - it's a real crowd pleaser).

Regards,
Joe V

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I also use karaoke-version.com the nice thing about them is they have instrumental versions available where you can download each instrument track seperately.

I'm doing allright for Country Trash ....

I used to care, but things have changed (Bob Dylan)

BIAB 2022W + RB
M-Audio FastTrack C600, Rode NT2-A
Digitech VoiceLive 4

Epiphone Sheraton, Ibanez 12str, Washburn 6str, Cort 6Str Nylon
Yanagisawa Tenor Sax

Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
...just curious about the copyright issues with distributing accurate MIDI transcriptions of other artists' coprited songs - do the authors of such MIDI files have to pay royalties ?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

...just curious about the copyright issues with distributing accurate MIDI transcriptions of other artists' coprited songs - do the authors of such MIDI files have to pay royalties ?

Well,we do pay the site for the downloads (very cheap for what you are getting) so we can only assume they are paying on their end also.

Although, maybe just like the new pot laws, you can use it but you can't sell it or buy it. In this case you can sell it and buy it, but the laws prevent you from using it. What a country

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I'm into the classic rock and pop from 70's and 80's, as well as singer/songwriter stuff (from the same era - I'm old) . . .

Whippersnapper!

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm curious to know why you want to do that when you have BIAB/RB, which provide the absolute best way to create your own high quality backing tracks?

I USED to do what you're doing... but I decided long ago that BIAB/RB could get me to an end product that pleased me MUCH quicker. The karaoke files start out strong, but I always ended up at a point where something I wanted was missing, and there was no way to get it back.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
there are a lot of cool files in this site just make sure if you want scrolling lyrics to practice with that you download .kar files or you have to enter them separately

http://www.vanbasco.com/

here is another

http://www.nifter.com/midi_karaoke_songs_free_downloads.htm

what you do is right click and save to a folder.

Also to find more just do a google search for "free .kar files"

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I agree with all of the above and I also use karaoke downloads from Amazon sometimes--Only 99 cents each. I mostly do it when I can't find a decent midi song or chart to do my own.

Cornet Curmudgeon
Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
Quote:

Quote:

I'm into the classic rock and pop from 70's and 80's, as well as singer/songwriter stuff (from the same era - I'm old) . . .

Whippersnapper!

Funny I used that term the other day when asking a guy (probably in his 20's or early 30's) who recommended a website with some great price drops on computer games which particular games he would recommend. He replied that these computer games were "not just regular old - they're very old". I reminded him to be careful - that I remembered when electronic pinball machines came out, as well as pong, space invaders, and asteroids, and proceeded to call him a 'whipper snapper' (which was also a term before his time). BTW - if you haven't done it already, and if you look up the origin of whippersnapper, you might find it quite interesting : )

Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
Quote:

I'm curious to know why you want to do that when you have BIAB/RB, which provide the absolute best way to create your own high quality backing tracks?

I USED to do what you're doing... but I decided long ago that BIAB/RB could get me to an end product that pleased me MUCH quicker. The karaoke files start out strong, but I always ended up at a point where something I wanted was missing, and there was no way to get it back.

...because I'm more of technician than a creative artist, and obsessive enough that anything I come up with and play doesn't sound nearly as good to me as the original arrangement...and most people that ask to hear a song often expect something really close to the original. But for musicianship, creativity, or artistry - I would be less concerned with the original arrangement and more interested in putting a personal, creative stamp on it : )

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

...because I'm more of technician than a creative artist, and obsessive enough that anything I come up with and play doesn't sound nearly as good to me as the original arrangement...and most people that ask to hear a song often expect something really close to the original. But for musicianship, creativity, or artistry - I would be less concerned with the original arrangement and more interested in putting a personal, creative stamp on it : )

I'll give you a different view than what Pat did. I'm a HUGE fan of BIAB and RB, but it's EXTREMELY difficult and time consuming to make accurate backing tracks that contain all of the hooks, phrases and nuances of popular tunes.

If you just want backing tracks in the style and genre of a particular song, but you don't need the hooks, phrases and nuances to go along with it, it's easy to do with BIAB and RB.

It just depends on what you looking for.

I'll probably catch some flak for saying that, but I don't think we should mislead folks about the products.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I'll give you a different view than what Pat did. I'm a HUGE fan of BIAB and RB, but it's EXTREMELY difficult and time consuming to make accurate backing tracks that contain all of the hooks, phrases and nuances of popular tunes.

snip

I'll probably catch some flak for saying that, but I don't think we should mislead folks about the products.

well.. actually, I think it is FAR easier to add the hooks in real band, simply because of the work flow.

If you start by adding the original song to its own track, then use ACW to get the chords, and real tracks to approximate the rhythm section... you can finish up by merging any portion of the original recording with your part.

Typically signature intros, solos and endings occur in parts of the song where there is no singing. Just raise the volume on the reference track and lower the volume on the rhythm tracks, and bingo... you've got ALL the signature sounds.. and they sound better than anything you'll get in a karaoke track.

we could argue about whether this is legal, but the discussion is already about how to duplicate somebody else's (C) material. I'm not saying you SHOULD do it this way, only saying that it isn't misleading to suggest that these products are the easiest way I've found to get from point A to point B (point B being a finished cover song that sounds just like the original)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I told you I’d catch some flak for saying that! LOL.

If a new BIAB user forks over $399.00 to $569.00 for a first time purchase of the Everything Pak and then sits down and tries to make a backing track for Eric Clapton’s song “Cocaine”, they’re probably gonna be ready to pull their hair out after umpteen hours of failure to get anything that even remotely sounds like the song.

I didn’t say it’s impossible, just extremely difficult.

Quote:

they sound better than anything you'll get in a karaoke track

Not all “karaoke” tracks are created equal. Some are terrible, many are pretty good and some others are hard to distinguish from the original recording.

Also, not all “karaoke” tracks are .kar files, (MIDI). A lot of the better quality ones are actually MP3+CDW’s. I was surprised to find that virtually all of my karaoke songs were in that format instead of .kar. (I just found that out yesterday).

Back to the OP’s original question:

Quote:

What are the best sites to download Midi Karaoke or Song files that are truest to the original arrangements ?

I wouldn’t even consider answering that question by telling him to “make his own”.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
If you don't think only in terms of MIDI or KAR files, there are available a rather large amount of purchasable backing tracks CDs for just about every popular tune. These are royalty paid, well the legal ones are, and they are recorded with topnotch studio players.

A websearch should bring up vendors.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I told you I’d catch some flak for saying that! LOL.

Bob, now this is one time you have got it entirely correct. BIAB is not for covers, unless its a jazz stardard. Not sayin it can't be done, but lets be real here. Just the way it is.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Dan,

Quote:

Bob, now this is one time you have got it entirely correct. BIAB is not for covers, unless its a jazz stardard. Not sayin it can't be done, but lets be real here. Just the way it is.

Ditto Dan. If I was a new user to BIAB, I would be thoroughly pissed if someone mislead me into believing something that isn't true about BIAB, ... especially if I purchased it based on their recommendation.

Instead, I came to the program looking for a good practice tool and was pleased by what I found.

Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
I would pay to see Pat do this with some of the more sophisticated songs from my favorite artists - like Queen, David Bowie, Steeley Dan, Mark Knopfler...yada yada. (not sure how much I would pay, but I would pay : )

If Pat's the type to prove a point, you could just share some for free ; )

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I would pay to see Pat do this with some of the more sophisticated songs from my favorite artists - like Queen, David Bowie, Steeley Dan, Mark Knopfler...yada yada. (not sure how much I would pay, but I would pay : )

If Pat's the type to prove a point, you could just share some for free ; )

maybe I'm just one of those people who is too dumb to know what's impossible, so I went and did it. Repeatedly.

Regarding the request for free songs: what you're asking for is impossible! Everybody here knows that!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

If you start by adding the original song to its own track, then use ACW to get the chords, and real tracks to approximate the rhythm section... you can finish up by merging any portion of the original recording with your part.

This has always confused me on 2 fronts. When you say "adding the original song" by that do you mean importing a wav or mp3 into RB? The reason I asked this question that way was if you are importing, okay I understand that. but if you are programming a chord chart..... huh? You knew the chords to put them in the chart, so....

And then point 2, I have tried to use that chord wizard thing probably a half dozen times and never saw it even CLOSE to the right chords. I did it on one of my own songs and it was WAY off. A couple from our band's CD. Same thing, WAY off.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195