Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
I have been working with tech support for several weeks on this problem and they cannot solve it. PLEASE if anyone has any ideas, I need them desperately.

Here is the problem.
With the option "pause until midi received" selected, the first note, and only the first note, of a song sounds as soon as I start the song. The song then stops and restarts at the second note when I send a midi signal from my keyboard or press spacebar.
The problem only occurs 20% of the time and seems random - not song specific.
It only happens with songs containing at least one midi instrument, not with all RTs.
It doesn't matter how I start the song, even using the Jukebox to start songs has the same problem.
It doesn't matter which spacebar option is selected.
It doesn't matter whether I use a soft synth or my sound module.
I am using BIAB 2013 but is was happening with 2012 and 2012.5.
Finally, and this really gets me, it happened with 2013 installed on two different laptops both running Win7.

It seems like a signal is getting passed the "pause" option when I press play but if so, why does only the first note play?

You can see why I have run out of ideas.

Thanks
Tony

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
What options have you set for lead-in? Normally, the pause play until MIDI rec'd would start the song at the beginning of a 2 bar count-in, which would be nowhere near the first note.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
Thanks for the response Peter

I never have "allow lead in bars" ticked, in fact every box in that option window is unticked.

If I have "visible metronome 1234" selected then the number "1" is displayed when the first note sounds ie when the problem occurs. If I don't have visible metronome selected then the problem still happens but the number "1" doesn't appear.

The easiest way to demonstrate the problem is to select "pause until midi received" and use the Jukebox on a folder with lots of midi songs. In Jukebox select "preview after 4 bars" and keep pressing the space bar each time a song loads. When I do this about 20% of the songs sound the first note then stop until I start the song with the space bar. If I have "metronome 1234" selected I also see "1" each time it happens.

Thanks
Tony

M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
I can duplicate the problem with BIAB2011.

If I keep pressing F4, the song will wait for a midi signal or spacebar,
but every once in a while it will play the 1st note, then wait.

I never see the problem later in the song though, only at the beginning.
If I stop somewhere later in the song with the spacebar, and restart it
with the spacebar, it always waits as it should.

As you noted, a false midi signal would not play only one note. And a false
spacebar would always have to be in pairs (two space characters) which seems
very unlikely.

T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
HALLELUJAH!!!!!

At last someone else has found what must be a software problem, I'm not crazy after all. You have described the problem exactly.

Peter, are you following this???

Thanks
Tony

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
If you have removed the lead-in, it might be a pickup melody note that you are hearing. It would help if you could give me the name of one of our demo songs that exhibits the problem.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Journeyman
Journeyman
Tony:

Pay attention to the pickup notes, as Peter Gannon suggests. Any note entered or recorded before Beat 1 will be interpreted by BiaB as a pickup note -- if it's accidentally pushed by even 1 tick. That means we can easily put a pickup note where we didn't intend one and can't identify one.

Those who use the count-in measures to set tempo don't encounter what's bugging you, which is why you feel alone with it. Make sure all your first notes are at Beat 1, Tick 1 (or later), and it may go away.

Larry
______
T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
Thanks Larry and Peter

I am not sure that the problem has anything to do with pickup notes, pushed notes or not using a count-in because it happens anywhere in a song that I start the playback - not just at the beginning e.g if I double click on any bar it may happen or if I set the space bar to "play from current position" it also may happen. .

I tried using a lead in and the problem disappears at the start but this isn't much help because I don't want to use lead-ins and I sometimes want start a song in the middle.

Larry - how can I have a "note entered or recorded before Beat 1"? Except of course if I start the song at say bar 5 then there is a note in bar 4.

Peter - you asked about a specific demo song. It can happen with just about any song that has a least one midi instrument but you could use the demo song with "dixiland.sty" as an example. Remember that the problem is intermittent - about 20% of the time.

Tony

Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

Larry - how can I have a "note entered or recorded before Beat 1"? Except of course if I start the song at say bar 5 then there is a note in bar 4.

A "count-in" measure (Bar 0) before Bar 1 is available for pickup notes. It may contain drum hits for a tempo count-off, and if you record something else during a count-in, it goes in there too.

The first note of a tune is likely to be NOMINALLY on Beat 1 of Bar 1. But notes played a little early (before their measure properly begins) can be problematic. They belong to measure zero, because that's where they are. BiaB is smart enough to adjust for timing errors and show them in notation as you meant them to be. They then look like they're in Measure 1. The timing error is very small, so you don't hear it.

We're speculating that when starting the tune as you do, you are hearing remnants of such early notes. They occur by chance, which would explain why you see your problem only one time out of five. (The other 4 times, the note was on the beat or a tiny bit late.)

Check to see what the actual timing is for a couple notes that are causing you grief. You'd know in two seconds whether you can discard this whole idea or do something to get round it. I bet the notes are occurring at something close to 00:04:119. Change the 119 to 120, and you will probably be all fixed.

Last edited by allis; 01/01/13 03:31 PM.
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
I made a pattern consisting of a single piano note on beat 1.

Problem still occurs. It is less than 20% in my case, maybe 10 - 15%.
I don't hear a complete note though in this case, only a short "blip".
If I move the piano note to beat 2, I no longer hear the "blip", but the
metronome still shows beat one when it occurs.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Trying to recreate that here.

Question for megafiddle: What is your sound device and what drivers are you trying to use with that device? ASIO or MME?

--Mac

M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
Just using the Microsoft GS wavetable synth.

I'll try some others if I can set them up.

I'm using BIAB 2011, and XP.
This is a temporary setup as I will be using all new BIAB, computer, and Window 7
(new BIAB is on the way), so I didn't set everything up.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Your problem just might be due to the huge lag time of the Msoft Wavetable synth, coupled with not using ASIO sound drivers.

ASIO4ALL drivers plus using a DXi synth might clear it up, don't know for sure but is what I'd be trying next (and what I run on the laptop).

--Mac

M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
I just got my Roland SD-50 hooked up and running.

Same thing is occuring. In this case the midi output is via USB to the SD-50.

T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
Thanks Megafiddle

You continue to get EXACTLY the same results as I have been getting, literally for years with many versions of BIAB and configurations. I am also currently using a SD-50. It has nothing to do with drivers, or hard vs soft synths (I have fiddled with those ad infinitum) it is a BIAB software glitch. Yes, the problem is very intermittent which makes testing a bit frustrating. You are also right that the noise is usually a "blip" but sometimes it is a single note with all the instruments and it keeps sounding until I hit stop.

It can also happen anywhere I start the song in the middle.

If anyone is wondering why I am plugging away at this, I played a gig over Xmas and every now and then after I announced a song and double clicked on it in the songpicker the song would load and immediately get a load blip or sometimes a continuous note - not very professional.

Peter, are you still following this?

Thanks
Tony

Expert
Expert
Hi Tony,

I also have found this with BIAB.

My thoughts on this may be way off base but here they are anyway.

Could it be that the sound card is retaining a little bit of sound.
Perhaps the sound card is not being flushed out properly.

I find that it happens more if I stop the song mid stream so to speak, but if I let the song finish it doesn't happen.

Maybe I am wrong but someone with knowledge of electronics can advise.

George
P.S
Here are my computer settings:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Central Processor AMD A8-3500M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
Video Adapter AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6620G
Video Memory 512.00 MB
Screen Resolution 1366 x 768
Sound AMD High Definition Audio Device

Windows 11 64 bit, Biab 2023 1006, Realband 2023 (1)
i7 Desktop Computer 16Gb Memory

Journeyman
Journeyman
Tony:

Try this, I bet it works:

Open "Prefs" and open "OutputCh". At the top of the box you see "Output Chords?" I bet it is checked... uncheck it.

This ("Output Chords") is a very handy feature which many of us use to drive harmony machines and such which respond to the BB chord changes.

Good Luck!

Brad -- My FAWM
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Does it happen if you use the Coyote WT DXi synth, instead of the Microsoft GS Wavetable?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
Quote:

Does it happen if you use the Coyote WT DXi synth, instead of the Microsoft GS Wavetable?

Andrew and Mac
I had another go with Coyote WT DXi and although it doesn't eliminate the problem completely, it now happens very infrequently. I gave up on soft synths because I could never completely cure the latency problem. I like the song to start in total sync with my keyboard as I play the first key and I could never get this zero latency at the start of a song. With an external synth this is never a problem. I now have over 500 songs arranged for the patches in my SD-50 so Coyote WT DXi is not an option for me. In any case it would be nice to use BIAB without this problem for both hard and soft synths.

Quote:

Could it be that the sound card is retaining a little bit of sound.
Perhaps the sound card is not being flushed out properly

George
That's a interesting idea so I did tests starting a song after letting it end naturally compared with stopping it in the middle. Unfortunately it made no difference to my problem.

Quote:

Open "Prefs" and open "OutputCh". At the top of the box you see "Output Chords?" I bet it is checked... uncheck it.

Brad
Thanks for the suggestion but I have always had the box unticked

Has anyone at PG done a test to observe the problem? The easiest way is to
1)Load the demo song with Dixiland.sty
2)Use an external synth or Microsoft GS Wavetable.
3) Select "pause until midi received" in the prefs'
4) Mouse around the song double clicking on bars and pressing the space bar to start and stop the song.
You should find that around 10-20% of the time you double click a single note sounds but the song doesn't start until you press space bar. Some of the time the note may actually stick on, sounding continuously.

Many thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate them.

Tony

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Tony, there is a very good chance that use of ASIO sound drivers, such as the free ASIO4ALL.exe, coupled with using a DXi MIDI synth, regardless of whether the songs involved are all Realtracks or not, may solve your problem.

Use of the Microsoft synth and the standard windows MME sound drivers is a recipe for all kinds of huge latency problems. I don't know what's under the hood inside Band in a Box, but have "been there and done that" regarding the kind of issues you are having. My theory, and that's all it can be without getting deep into the compiler, which we don't have and is precluded legally by the licensing agreement anyway, is that whenever the program has to "call" the very slow Microsoft synth, which I think happens every time we start a song, the doggone thing takes too long to get ready and the internal timing of whatever is happening "under the hood" causes that pesky playing of one note beforehand.

The fact that it is rather random as to when and which song it happens on seems to add credence to that theory. Sometimes resources and timing of CPU, etc. are available and ready and able to process in time, other times not.

Anyway, when I'm using Band in a Box on my laptop and don't want the extra hassle of hooking up one of the USB afermarket "recording" sound devices I have, which have their own ASIO sound drivers, I just use the ASIO4ALL driver, permanently installed on c: drive, and it has worked very well over the years, eliminating problems such as this one before they can rear their ugly head, also eliminating *other* problems, such as long latency when trying to play keyboards, softsynths, even hardware synths to some extent (hardware MIDI itself is very fast, of course, but still can succumb to Interrupts and other things in the Windows System and PC timing scheme on occasion, creating a hiccup. ASIO sound drivers attempt to create an Audio Stream that does not get interrupted by such OS and CPU calls. That's why Steinberg designed ASIO sound drivers in the first place.

--Mac

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,484
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195