Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#187332 - 12/30/12 07:02 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] First note of song sounds when I press "play" even if "pause until midi received" is selected
Tony Wright Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Waterloo Ontario Canada
I have been working with tech support for several weeks on this problem and they cannot solve it. PLEASE if anyone has any ideas, I need them desperately.

Here is the problem.
With the option "pause until midi received" selected, the first note, and only the first note, of a song sounds as soon as I start the song. The song then stops and restarts at the second note when I send a midi signal from my keyboard or press spacebar.
The problem only occurs 20% of the time and seems random - not song specific.
It only happens with songs containing at least one midi instrument, not with all RTs.
It doesn't matter how I start the song, even using the Jukebox to start songs has the same problem.
It doesn't matter which spacebar option is selected.
It doesn't matter whether I use a soft synth or my sound module.
I am using BIAB 2013 but is was happening with 2012 and 2012.5.
Finally, and this really gets me, it happened with 2013 installed on two different laptops both running Win7.

It seems like a signal is getting passed the "pause" option when I press play but if so, why does only the first note play?

You can see why I have run out of ideas.

Thanks
Tony

#187333 - 12/30/12 07:06 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: First note of song sounds when I press "play" even if "pause until midi received" is selected [Re: Tony Wright]
PeterGannon Offline
PG Music Staff

What options have you set for lead-in? Normally, the pause play until MIDI rec'd would start the song at the beginning of a 2 bar count-in, which would be nowhere near the first note.

#187334 - 12/31/12 08:25 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: First note of song sounds when I press "play" even if "pause until midi received" is selected [Re: PeterGannon]
Tony Wright Offline
Journeyman

Thanks for the response Peter

I never have "allow lead in bars" ticked, in fact every box in that option window is unticked.

If I have "visible metronome 1234" selected then the number "1" is displayed when the first note sounds ie when the problem occurs. If I don't have visible metronome selected then the problem still happens but the number "1" doesn't appear.

The easiest way to demonstrate the problem is to select "pause until midi received" and use the Jukebox on a folder with lots of midi songs. In Jukebox select "preview after 4 bars" and keep pressing the space bar each time a song loads. When I do this about 20% of the songs sound the first note then stop until I start the song with the space bar. If I have "metronome 1234" selected I also see "1" each time it happens.

Thanks
Tony

#187335 - 12/31/12 08:41 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: First note of song sounds when I press "play" even if "pause until midi received" is selected [Re: Tony Wright]
megafiddle Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Fred'burg VA
I can duplicate the problem with BIAB2011.

If I keep pressing F4, the song will wait for a midi signal or spacebar,
but every once in a while it will play the 1st note, then wait.

I never see the problem later in the song though, only at the beginning.
If I stop somewhere later in the song with the spacebar, and restart it
with the spacebar, it always waits as it should.

As you noted, a false midi signal would not play only one note. And a false
spacebar would always have to be in pairs (two space characters) which seems
very unlikely.

#187336 - 12/31/12 09:53 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: First note of song sounds when I press "play" even if "pause until midi received" is selected [Re: megafiddle]
Tony Wright Offline
Journeyman

HALLELUJAH!!!!!

At last someone else has found what must be a software problem, I'm not crazy after all. You have described the problem exactly.

Peter, are you following this???

Thanks
Tony

#187337 - 12/31/12 11:13 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: First note of song sounds when I press "play" even if "pause until midi received" is selected [Re: Tony Wright]
PeterGannon Offline
PG Music Staff

If you have removed the lead-in, it might be a pickup melody note that you are hearing. It would help if you could give me the name of one of our demo songs that exhibits the problem.

#187338 - 01/01/13 06:41 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: First note of song sounds when I press "play" even if "pause until midi received" is selected [Re: Tony Wright]
allis Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Tony:

Pay attention to the pickup notes, as Peter Gannon suggests. Any note entered or recorded before Beat 1 will be interpreted by BiaB as a pickup note -- if it's accidentally pushed by even 1 tick. That means we can easily put a pickup note where we didn't intend one and can't identify one.

Those who use the count-in measures to set tempo don't encounter what's bugging you, which is why you feel alone with it. Make sure all your first notes are at Beat 1, Tick 1 (or later), and it may go away.

#187339 - 01/01/13 01:52 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: First note of song sounds when I press "play" even if "pause until midi received" is selected [Re: allis]
Tony Wright Offline
Journeyman

Thanks Larry and Peter

I am not sure that the problem has anything to do with pickup notes, pushed notes or not using a count-in because it happens anywhere in a song that I start the playback - not just at the beginning e.g if I double click on any bar it may happen or if I set the space bar to "play from current position" it also may happen. .

I tried using a lead in and the problem disappears at the start but this isn't much help because I don't want to use lead-ins and I sometimes want start a song in the middle.

Larry - how can I have a "note entered or recorded before Beat 1"? Except of course if I start the song at say bar 5 then there is a note in bar 4.

Peter - you asked about a specific demo song. It can happen with just about any song that has a least one midi instrument but you could use the demo song with "dixiland.sty" as an example. Remember that the problem is intermittent - about 20% of the time.

Tony

#187340 - 01/01/13 02:19 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: First note of song sounds when I press "play" even if "pause until midi received" is selected [Re: Tony Wright]
allis Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Quote:

Larry - how can I have a "note entered or recorded before Beat 1"? Except of course if I start the song at say bar 5 then there is a note in bar 4.

A "count-in" measure (Bar 0) before Bar 1 is available for pickup notes. It may contain drum hits for a tempo count-off, and if you record something else during a count-in, it goes in there too.

The first note of a tune is likely to be NOMINALLY on Beat 1 of Bar 1. But notes played a little early (before their measure properly begins) can be problematic. They belong to measure zero, because that's where they are. BiaB is smart enough to adjust for timing errors and show them in notation as you meant them to be. They then look like they're in Measure 1. The timing error is very small, so you don't hear it.

We're speculating that when starting the tune as you do, you are hearing remnants of such early notes. They occur by chance, which would explain why you see your problem only one time out of five. (The other 4 times, the note was on the beat or a tiny bit late.)

Check to see what the actual timing is for a couple notes that are causing you grief. You'd know in two seconds whether you can discard this whole idea or do something to get round it. I bet the notes are occurring at something close to 00:04:119. Change the 119 to 120, and you will probably be all fixed.

Edited by allis (01/01/13 05:31 PM)

#187341 - 01/01/13 07:42 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: First note of song sounds when I press "play" even if "pause until midi received" is selected [Re: allis]
megafiddle Offline
Apprentice

I made a pattern consisting of a single piano note on beat 1.

Problem still occurs. It is less than 20% in my case, maybe 10 - 15%.
I don't hear a complete note though in this case, only a short "blip".
If I move the piano note to beat 2, I no longer hear the "blip", but the
metronome still shows beat one when it occurs.

#187342 - 01/01/13 08:21 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: First note of song sounds when I press "play" even if "pause until midi received" is selected [Re: megafiddle]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Trying to recreate that here.

Question for megafiddle: What is your sound device and what drivers are you trying to use with that device? ASIO or MME?

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#187343 - 01/01/13 08:55 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: First note of song sounds when I press "play" even if "pause until midi received" is selected [Re: Mac]
megafiddle Offline
Apprentice

Just using the Microsoft GS wavetable synth.

I'll try some others if I can set them up.

I'm using BIAB 2011, and XP.
This is a temporary setup as I will be using all new BIAB, computer, and Window 7
(new BIAB is on the way), so I didn't set everything up.

#187344 - 01/01/13 09:00 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: First note of song sounds when I press "play" even if "pause until midi received" is selected [Re: megafiddle]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Your problem just might be due to the huge lag time of the Msoft Wavetable synth, coupled with not using ASIO sound drivers.

ASIO4ALL drivers plus using a DXi synth might clear it up, don't know for sure but is what I'd be trying next (and what I run on the laptop).

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#187345 - 01/01/13 09:59 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: First note of song sounds when I press "play" even if "pause until midi received" is selected [Re: Mac]
megafiddle Offline
Apprentice

I just got my Roland SD-50 hooked up and running.

Same thing is occuring. In this case the midi output is via USB to the SD-50.

#187346 - 01/02/13 05:56 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: First note of song sounds when I press "play" even if "pause until midi received" is selected [Re: megafiddle]
Tony Wright Offline
Journeyman

Thanks Megafiddle

You continue to get EXACTLY the same results as I have been getting, literally for years with many versions of BIAB and configurations. I am also currently using a SD-50. It has nothing to do with drivers, or hard vs soft synths (I have fiddled with those ad infinitum) it is a BIAB software glitch. Yes, the problem is very intermittent which makes testing a bit frustrating. You are also right that the noise is usually a "blip" but sometimes it is a single note with all the instruments and it keeps sounding until I hit stop.

It can also happen anywhere I start the song in the middle.

If anyone is wondering why I am plugging away at this, I played a gig over Xmas and every now and then after I announced a song and double clicked on it in the songpicker the song would load and immediately get a load blip or sometimes a continuous note - not very professional.

Peter, are you still following this?

Thanks
Tony

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Beginners Help - Muting the Melody Notation

Visit our Beginners Forum, and you'll notice our amazing Forum Community helping out new program users!

Like this recent post regarding Muting the Melody Notation: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=458716 - Forum user Matt Finley did a great job of answering the new program user!

Our Beginners Forum really is a great resource for new program users!

Q: When I have entered chords and notation for a song, is it possible to mute the notation and just have the chords playing? This would be helpful for when I just want the chord backing track but want to read the notation.

A: There are several ways to do this. The easiest is probably to use the Mixer window and change the volume slider to zero for the Melody track. Or, hit the Mute icon on the Mixer for the Melody Track.

Another way, with more control rather than all or nothing, is to press F5 at the measure where you want to mute, and select mute or change the volume to zero. Later, press F5 and select Return to Normal, or change the volume back.

Introducing... RealTracks Artists David Wise & Shelly Justice!

For the first time ever Band-in-a-Box® can generate backing vocals with some amazing "oohs" and "aahs" vocal arrangements with RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs! Add male or female parts by renowned Nashville vocalists David Wise and Shelly Justice, and you'll LOVE the results!

David and Shelly have recorded with many different artists, including CeCe Winans, Dolly Parton, Don Henley, Donnie McClurkin, Jeremy Camp, Lady Antebellum, OneRepublic, Steve Green, and more!

RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs includes a three-part, six-voice arrangement – which you can use all together in your song or individually for more delicate textures! Listen to the demos for RealTracks Set 278 here.

Purchase RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs for just $29 here. It's also included in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows PlusPAK, UltraPAK, and Audiophile Edition.

Learn more about Dave & Shelly when you visit their RealTracks Artist Bio page:
David Wise: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=150
Shelly Justice: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=151

#TechTipTuesday - Band-in-a-Box® Patch Updates

If you're ever experiencing an issue with your Band-in-a-Box program, make sure you have the most recent patch update for your version - this can be done at http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm.

Patch updates are released frequently, and are created by our development team to fix any reported bugs, tweak existing features within the program, update demos and other files as needed, and more!

To find out which version of the program you have, visit Help | About Band-in-a-Box within the program. You will see the full version number listing as:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2018 (512)

The number in parentheses is the build number. As you can see, my Band-in-a-Box is up to date and will continue to stay that way because I've selected "Automatically check for updates every 7 days" within the Help | Check for Updates.... option (you can set the number of days to a different number). This window will also look to see if you're version is up to date, so you don't technically have to visit http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm if you didn't want to!

Once you've installed your patch update (make sure the program is closed when you're doing this), give it another try - if you are still experiencing the same issue you can report it by contacting us directly, or you can post your result to the Forum thread that also announces the patch update, like our recent Band-in-a-Box 2018 Build 512 Update (Feb 15) post.

YouTube Find - How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES

Check out one of EricBlackmonGuitar's latest videos, How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES and you'll hear a great Band-in-a-Box backing track!

http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=blJPIX-9YbE

...and you'll also learn how to play blues with just a few notes!

A Little Bit Of Me Music Video!

A great music video created by forum user Floyd Jane! https://youtu.be/qPrejgnwb4M?t=3600

This song was featured in a detailed "The Birth of a Song" video created by Floyd Jane - watch the complete video here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=qPrejgnwb4M

RealBand 2018 Build 5 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 customers can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_5

Summary of Changes for Build 5
Added: When generating the input file for saving as an MGU/SGU SongMode128= is saved to the input file.
Added: Localization support for 2018.
Added: flyby hints to new dialogs.
Fixed: Save As with a filename greater than 128 chars could cause an error 123 plus access violation.
Fixed: Rebooting RealBand after a filename with 128 chars was saved could cause an access violation.
Fixed: Pressing the Change button in the Event List Window could result in an access violation if an event was not a Note event.
Fixed: When running in Win 10, and using BBW or PT to generate audio harmonies, an error would occur saying that you need BB 2011 or PT 12 to generate audio harmonies.
Fixed: Midi Thru Method was not being saved to the .INI file. It always reverting to Track-Specific when booting up RealBand, even if the user manually changed the setting to Global in the Midi Thru Settings dialog.
Fixed: Delete All Notes on This Peg menu item in notation window right-click menu was missing.
Fixed: Potential crash on exit (having to do with the DLL attempting to free up a dynamic array that was passed to it).

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Build 512 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows customers can download the latest free patch update here: www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#512

Summary of changes for Build 512 since 510 (Feb 15 2018):
Fixed: "Load SoundTrack Song" and "Load song with RealDrums Audio" buttons in the Sound Track dialog were not working.
Fixed: After returning Band-in-a-Box to factory settings the File Open dialog would default to the bb\Data\Lib directory.
Fixed: Choosing a custom chord sheet font would ignore any color choice made in the font selection dialog.
Fixed: Drum names were sometimes truncated in the RealDrums MultiDrums and Quicklist dialogs.
Fixed: Exporting a MIDI file might cause the error, "MIDIConv.exe no found".
Fixed: Mixer changes were not undoable, and would not cause user to be prompted to save their song when exiting.
Fixed: Static in RT2438 and other various RealTracks fixes.
Fixed: StylePicker database various updates. Some styles were displaying the wrong feel (swing/even) in notation. A few styles incorrectly showed missing Drums.
Fixed: The audio latency setting would increase every time leaving the Windows Audio Devices dialog.
Fixed: The Download Manager folder name defaulted to 2016 instead of 2018.
Updated: Help file.

Forum Stats
27137 Members
49 Forums
50327 Topics
413052 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Robert Jordan, Hazyjames, Kozy, Museez, spif

27136 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 252