Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Post your own Tips and Tricks here
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Below is the URL for setting up SampleTank with Omnisynth so that it can act as a host for General MIDI.

... how to set up OmniSynth for General Midi

In the above thread, Jim111 offers a detailed explanation of how to get Omnisynth functioning properly in SampleTank.

What I've written below interprets Jim's words with images for assistance.

Essentially, if you navigate to C:\Program Files\IK Multimedia\Instruments\OmniSynth 2, you'll find a folder called "GM Prog Chng Bank". This folder contains the midi maps for general midi. Jim suggests copying these to x:\bb as it makes them easier to find because one of the maps needs to be loaded each time BIAB is started. (Note: for some, the path may be C:\Program Files\IK Multimedia\SampleTank 2.5\Instruments\OmniSynth 2. or other variations - see the post from Jazzmandan, a couple further on in this thread.)

To load an Omnisynth midi map ...

1. Click on the VSTi button. (If you cannot see this displayed, click on the >> to the right of the yellow cross to view icons that are not on the menu bar.)

2. Click on "Default Synth" (1); the dropdown sythn menu (2); select SampleTank (3).

3. When SampleTank loads, click on "Program CH" (1) and then select "Open Map" (2).

4. Now navigate to the map files at C:\Program Files\IK Multimedia\Instruments\OmniSynth 2 and select either one of the STMP files. (It's definitely easier to find the files if they are copied to x:\bb.)

Jim also suggests loading 'SRGM KIT O1 DRY' in channel 10 of ST. If BIAB is set so that it automatically selects Realdrums when a style is loaded, then a suitable set of Realdrums is chosen by the program whether it's a Realtracks- or midi-based style. For this reason it's not really necessary to load in a kit for midi drums to use.

If, however, you want to set-up for midi drums, continue ...

5. Select midi track 10 (1); click on the arrowhead next to "Omnisynth GM" (2) to expand the list of instruments; scroll to the bottom of the list (3).

6. At the bottom of the instrument list under "Omnisynth GM", there are a number of drum kits called SRGM Kit (1). Double-click the left mouse button to load any one of these into channel 10 (2). Note that, as mentioned about, channel 10 needs to be selected first, before double-clicking.

Open one of the midi-only styles in BIAB and double-check that SampleTank is indeed now operating as a GM synth.

All the best,
Noel

Veteran
Veteran
Error Message at Step 4

Nevermind, it was a problem with where I was storing the files - go that fixed. But then loaded a midi style, hit play and a total crash of the program. Have not seen that happen in a long time. BIAB just shut down.

Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Dan,

That's strange behaviour. Did you try copying those map files to the \bb directory to see if that made a difference?

Also, it might be worth restarting your computer after the install. Sometimes things seem to get stuck in memory for no apparent reason.

Another thought ... is Omnisynth in the correct "Instruments" folder? It should be in the folder under IK Multimedia and not the "Instruments" folder under Sampletank 2.5 (that was how it worked for me at least). I notice that BIAB have files under both locatations. I suspect that that's a safeguard.

In the meantime, I'll re-try the instructions I've written just to check that they're ok.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
I will check all out. Here is what I currently have regarding the install:

Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Dan,

That's interesting, you only have the one instrument folder. That must be because I have had ST on my computer for a while.

Try going to SampleTank's preferences (1) and using the browse to (re)set the path (2). If that doesn't help, try setting the option "High Performance" (3) rather than "High Quality". That will reduce memory load and might help narrow down the problem.

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Got ya Noel. We will figure it out. I have no doubt - But the parties are starting so I will be gone for bit. Happy New Year.

Here is the apparent fix. It had been discussed in other threads.

"..after my many hours playing with ST and BIAB - load the actual VSTi and NOT the DXi (wherever the " SampleTank2.x.dll " was placed when you installed Sample Tank"

Noel, does that mean you need to change you picture in step 2? Or is the Dxi working for you?

E
Apprentice
Apprentice
E
I also get crashes if I select the DXI but using the VSTi works fine for me.

Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Dan and Ed,

The DXi has been working for me. That's pretty interesting given that it seems to crash for others. It might be related to the fact that I was running a 2010 installation of SampleTank.

Dan: I've taken your advice and have updated the image so that it reflects the VSTi. That was a very good point. Thank you.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Noel,

you know how professionals often have initials after their name to signify their area of expertise?

Biz Nessman, MBA
Norm BerCruncher, CPA
Anne Telligent, PHD

you should add the letters FA to the end of your name, as in
NOEL96, FA

because you're FREAKIN' AMAZING in the way you explain all this stuff!

(even if you don't add it, I'm going to consider it to be there anyway)

Thanks for all the work you go to in order to clarify common questions here on the forum. You help me a lot.

Pat Marr, BOD
(Big Ol' Dummy)

Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey Pat,

Well that certainly made my computer monitor chuckle!!!! Thanks for the comments! I've got to be honest, though, the only letters that people put after my name usually are ones that have a mix of letters and symbols like "%$*!".

Take care. You're a gentleman and a scholar!
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Hey! Nice one!

I loaded the VST version and now it's working.

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Veteran
Veteran
Well, the GM mapping is working. But the VST version wont Juke.

I have been jukeboxing my 'Pianist' midi files through Real Band and Sampletank for the past week. The Sampletank pianos sound great. As long as I have the DXI version of Sampletank loaded, the patches I have selected for piano, bass and drums stay loaded from one song to the next. When I use the VST versions, the Patches unload for each new song.

ITs not a big problem. Im just saying...

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Today was my first time seeing this. Noel, many thanks for adding the pictures. They're each worth a thousand words or more.

I'd be completely happy if I had just one more guitar.
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks, Jim. Sampletank is brilliant. It's really worth playing around with and learning how to drive.

All the best with the adventure,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
Something I've found helpful is to have a separate partition for BIAB/RB with folders for stuff I need to access frequently.

X:\
_My Songs
Band Box
Real Band
VST Presets

Having the presets in a dedicated folder avoids having to scroll past all the operational BB folders to find what you're looking for.

Last edited by boydbob; 11/24/13 11:29 AM.

Boyd
Win10 - 16GB-RAM - BiaB 2019 - Mixbus 4 - Slate Bundle - Komplete 10 - Ozone 8 - Neutron 2 - Waves Gold
Ample Sound Guitars & Basses - Pianoteq 6 - SSD5 - SD3 - JamStix 4 - Omnisphere - UVI Falcon - EastWest Play
Sonarworks Reference 4 -
Expert
Expert
Thanks to all you Omnisynth 2 experts and fans: i finally got it running, but how can you set it that it automatically loads the GM bank AND the drums to channel 10 automatically when starting BIAB? PS After some trial runs, messing around and experiments i alas went back to using edirol and or coyote softsynth, too much hassles for me LoL - F

Last edited by fiddler2007; 12/14/15 09:48 PM. Reason: added info
Apprentice
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: fiddler2007
an you set it that it automatically loads the GM bank AND the drums to channel 10 automatically when starting BIAB?

I'd like to know if this is possible to get it set up as well.

That's the only thing it's keeping me from using Sampletank. Changing instruments is too much of a hassle to even bother... or so I thought?

I'm all ears!!!!

Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
Milano, Italy
https://soundcloud.com/theodore-kojak/tracks
Hy-Bro Test Sound Files
Veteran
Veteran
That is explained in detail in the opening post. Every time you open Biab you have to load that GM prog chng bank. Once you do that ST will behave like a regular GM synth.

In other words this is a workaround because no, ST isn't a GM synth but this makes it close.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Excellent instructions. The minor inconvenience of loading the map on startup is well worth the improvement in sound quality ... to me anyway.

I had been previously loading instruments channel by channel in ST ...

Win10Prox64/i7-6700@3.8G/32G / Studio One Pr 4.1.1
TASCAM US-16x08 / FaderPort / Fishman TriplePlay / Nektar LX61+
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Glad it was useful, Bob.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
L
Expert
Expert
L
Years ago, I bought Omnisynth. Anyway, last year I re-purchased it along with a bunch of other Sampletank packages at the special $10 each sale. My question, can we load all of those Sampletank sample packages the same way? I must admit, I haven't really played around with it yet as I don't want to rock the BIAB boat and I only use Realtracks at present. A always have loved the Sampletank samples though and it would open up the option of pulling in some of the great pro midi files around (like those created by Roland) for song requests at shows.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Veteran
Veteran
This ST 'song and dance' has been the reason I avoid it.
Can't they make it easy for a dummy like me?
Yes the sounds are nice and allow a lot of customization options, but it is such a PITA to work with.
Sorry, I'll go home now.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,624
Posts735,207
Members38,521
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh, vasilich, maxrob61
38,520 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185