Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
Please share your opinion.

Mine is that they generally don't understand the product, and how useful it can be in learning music theory, and learning one's instrument. In my opinion - no other product compares, and one would think there would be a copy in every music institution there is - and that almost every student would have a copy. Probably that's not the case - and perhaps it has to do with PG's marketing ?

How old are you ?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 01/01/13 11:59 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My opinion is they don't care because "our" music is ancient history to them. PG just added some Euro dance styles and that may bring in a few younger people but just go on Youtube and check out the demos for other DAW's especially Abelton Live. It's all about DJ's doing beatz, loops, hip hop and all that. There's a market for our "real" music but it's relatively small and fragmented. Almost forgot. Dubstep. Do you have any idea what that is? Search it on Youtube. You'll love it and while you're loving it try to imagine Biab creating something in that style. Also note the number of hits for those videos vs the number of hits for anything we might like.

While I may be decending into a bit of snarkyness here, I actually like some of that stuff. Some of it is very creative, it's just so completely foreign to anything most of us here have even heard of much less become a fan of. Oh yeah, check out Jordan Rudess and Dream Theater. No possiblity of any Biab style from that either.

The thing is all these styles of music taken as a group are maybe 75% of the total market that's why there are no 20 somethings here.

A lot of these kids are still schooled players but they're going to learn music in the style they like just like we do. Would you want to learn music by playing old 20's Charleston stuff?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

20's Charleston stuff

Great, now I've got THAT in my head all day ..

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
the "regulars" ARE all older, but that doesn't mean there aren't young users.

I'll venture several guesses why they aren't here:

1) this forum is moderated and fairly civilized. In my forum-hanging days, it was my experience that young people gravitate toward totally uncontrolled forums where they can say and do whatever they want. This forum would not allow that.

2) It doesn't take long to figure out that the "regulars" are older. What kid wants to hang with gramps? Kids want to be where their peers are, not their parents and grandparents' peers.

3) BIAB assumes that the user has some knowledge of music theory. A generation of latch key kids raised by single parents who never got music lessons has gravitated toward software like FStudio, where the rules of music never come into play, as long as they can drag loops

4) BIAB stands alone as a music software product that caters to older styes of music that don't appeal to MOST kids (though there are exceptions)

standard disclaimer:
the opinions expressed here about stereotypes of young people are reflective of the OP point of view. PGMusic and its employees neither endorse nor support the opinions set forth in this post

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I still recall Steve Jobs marketing strategy of getting Apple computers into the schools, even at a loss. That gave Apple a huge, younger customer base but the long term affect was skewed by the lack of software for the platform. That may no longer be the case.

Off-Topic
C
Journeyman
Journeyman
C
I think you hit the nail on the head with the word "marketing".
In my opinion (and a few others judging by the wishlists)if PGM wants to attract a younger audience it needs:

1. The much requested modernization of the user interface
2. A possible streamlining or simplification of the feature set.
The KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) acronym would probably be best with today's need for instant gratification
3. More modern styles and loops focusing on what the younger generations are into.
4. A youth oriented name change which could apply to this new, modified "lighter" version of BIA/RB. I kinda like "RealBand Studio" myself:)

This "lighter" companion version could be used as an introduction to the full blown program we all know and love.

Except for the new UI and the addition of some more modern styles, all the pieces are probably already there under the hood.
It may even be possible to ship the full blown program under the new name which could have features unlocked as it was upgraded or customized by the users.

Not knowing the economic situation of PGM and what they want as far as market share, it may not be cost effective at this time but may become a necessity if they want to bring the kids in.

Carkins

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I've noticed that maybe one in six of the younger set love to read the printed word.

There may be a lot of 'em texting about such things.

r u bb?

bb?

u no app band

gud 4 u?

'k roflol

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
ROFLMAO.

dude, u r wth it!

(That was very funny <<< old guy talk).

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Wonder if there is any correlation between fewer younger users, in general, involved in music and music production and the de-emphasis of music in our schools. I think so. I look at my nieces and nephews, they never had the exposue nor opportunity to be involved in music the way that I did. For them, it was all about sports. Music was something to do when "hangin".

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Young people don't don't like insanely long titles in forum threads. Have shorter, more concise thread titles and more young'ins will appear.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
If you want to see the flip side of this forum demographics, go to www.kvraudio.com forum.

I think there are many reasons, have voiced them here, only to be lambasted as to why things are fine as they are. The following is the short list of my perceptions - whether well-founded or not:

1. PG is likely still just known at the BIAB company, which for most persons in the younger set, has little relevance to loop-based music creation/production. It's the domain of cover song, 1-man-band musicians.

2. The advertisements in print magazines still fall very far behind professional graphic design. People always have, and always will judge a book by it's cover.

Contrast:
http://www.pgmusic.com/index.html
http://www.image-line.com/documents/flstudio.html
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/start.html
http://www.avid.com/US/products/pro-tools-software
http://www.reaper.fm/
http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/
http://ntrack.com/

Nearly all have a video demonstrating main features. Some mix new with existing features. Steinberg's site looks similar from a graphic design standpoint, but most of the others look 'younger'. Hard to put specifics on what I mean here, but the graphic design looks more current. The main image on PG's BIAB site: http://www.pgmusic.com/css/gfx/pgbanner2013.jpg simply looks like it came from a clip-art package - plain and simple.

The 'chart' font shown on BIAB features, is going to look strange to those that have never seen a chart before. That's a whole lot of people buying and using music software these days. Some are calling themselves 'producers' more than they are calling themselves musicians. Some are both. Most are creating music from a different mindset than learning how to best generate "Moon River", with which GM sound source to get the most realistic backing tracks.

3. The graphic design of the user interface seems nearly unchanged from the 1996 version that I started on and perhaps going back to before then. There was an update where there was given a choice of instrument icons for the track 'markers', which is available on GarageBand, but not most other DAW software. Most other more popular DAW software looks more current from a color choice, button design, graphic design, etc. Should this matter? - no - but the judging of the book by it's cover behavior is still in play.

4. PG's descriptions of it's products are somewhat behind the times. This is the descriptive text for PowerTracks Pro Audio: "PowerTracks Pro Audio is a full-featured, multi-track music sequencing and digital audio recording program. PowerTracks Pro Audio includes powerful and unique features such as: The Audio Chord Wizard, which automatically and accurately figures out the chords from MP3/WMA/WAV audio files, the TC Helicon Vocal Harmonizer to add harmonies or pitch correct your audio tracks, and RealDrums which allow you to instantly generate audio drum tracks that are real recordings of drummers - not single drum hit samples but full recordings lasting 1 to 8 bars."

Note-the words "Digital Audio Workstation" or even DAW, do not appear. It's still referring to 'sequencing'. DAW has been the more known term for at least 10 years. 'Sequencers' go back to Dr. T's era.

For BIAB, the main page does not describe the main thing that it does, but is a running list of updates. For existing users, great - for potentially new customers - very confusing. http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.htm

What is the main thing of BIAB, it's core purpose? If you hit the main BIAB page, you have to dig to find what it does. The front page is the 'new features' but doesn't address the one main thing that BIAB/RB do: Accompaniment Generation, either via Real Band tracks or MIDI. That's it's main 'cool thing' that separates it from anything else on the market. The front page for that product should make that loud and clear. Advertisements should make it loud and clear - and simple.

In actuality, when hitting PGmusic.com, it should be something like this page, with a little bit of interactivity, and less text but more graphics to demonstrate how it actually works: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.features.htm That page tells what it is but way too wordy. No video demonstrating function as the main feature of the page. Big mistake. Too much reading, not enough 'seeing'.

I think Mountainside's comments probably have some effect on it as well. Exposure to traditional music appreciation and understanding is waning. jazzmammal hit on this from a different angle as well

Bottom line as to jazzmammal's comments - the generative aspect of music these days is not about entering in a chord sequence and picking a style. That's a really cool thing for traditional songwriting, but for less traditional music, it's not really there. The production of the sound is as much of the process as the layout of the chords. Experimentation outside of the box, not in the box, is what people say they are looking for - though there are formulaic elements in these newer styles as well.

-Scott btw, in my 40's closer to 50 than 40.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M

Everything Scott listed up there does serve as a very good filter to keep the trash out...

Just sayin'

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Keyboard; you owe me a new one for that
this one is soaked

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Probably the biggest deterrent to new users of ANY age is the lack of a SYSTEMATIC FREE video tutorial that covers BIAB and how to use it. You get video tutorials included in the “Everything Pak”, but they’re woefully inadequate.

You can fork over $39.00 for “BIAB for Bozo’s, Vol 1 & 2”, in order to get started, but while Vol 1 is a good starter, Vol 2 spends 30 minutes on manually entering notation. WTF?

If there were a 10 hour tutorial for BIAB, then I wouldn’t use even one minute of it on notation and how to enter it manually!

JMHO, the video tutorials are created from a developers POV. Peter should hire someone to create videos from a users POV.

It’s one thing to create a great program like BIAB. It’s another thing to throw new or inexperienced users to the wolves when it comes to figuring out how to use it.

Why aren’t there many young users? (Many options, … here’s mine). There’s not a half way decent video tutorial for the program, especially for new users.

(P.S. Pat, I know you’re THE BIAB cheerleader, (Peter should have you on salary, if he doesn't already), but there are legitimate complaints that people have about the program).

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Keyboard; you owe me a new one for that
this one is soaked

nevah...
EVAH...

drink coffee while reading Mac's posts... he'll surprise you.

Quote:

(P.S. Pat, I know you’re the BIAB cheerleader, but there are legitimate complaints that people have about the program).

I know. These complaints and observations have been around for a long time.

But if you watch the statements I make in defense of the product, you'll notice that I take pains NOT to negate anybody's opinion. I may express an opposing opinion, but I firmly believe we are all entitled to an opinion that stands as your opinion and doesn't even need to be defended (as opinion)

My usual tactic, especially since many complaints take the form of "I can't do (fill in the blank) because this program sucks" is to point out a way that it CAN be done.

But this discussion is not about somebody whining about what he can't do. This discussion is about public perception, and on THAT topic whoever happens to be speaking is the best authority on his perception.

STAYIN'-OUT-OF-IT-O-METER
0___________________/_100

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pat,

You made a better point on another thread when you mentioned “I don’t how”.

Let’s see how to fix this! …

Maybe some half way decent SYSTEMATIC tutorials!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I run into BIAB in other music forums I frequent and have to admit it is beginning to get much better press due to word of mouth then a few years back. Lots of folks saying good things, and these are coming from a different cliental/demographic.

But let me share one which I thought was very interesting as it seemed to hit on something. Now don't go off on this . I present it as I feel it was well written and presented its point in a very honest, respectful and coherent manner. I know PGMusic has not asked for this opinion, but they have also not indicated that they do not want it either. And it is relavent to this thread.

There will be no guessing on who wrote it.

"...its introduction of RealTracks was a massive leap forward. It's got many unique, clever features and deserves to be taken seriously. There's no other composition aid that can hold a candle to it.

But it's its own worst enemy. To be terribly frank, as a program it's a ginormous Christmas tree of aged core code with many new baubles added each year. The user interface is very old fashioned and reminds me of something designed by the tent crew of a circus in terms of buttons and colours. It's not intuitive and is a mass of menus. So it looks amateurish which totally belies its ability to produce very professional results. A total rewrite is way overdue. The musical bias is way out of touch with today, and leans heavily on old jazz and country, with some of the nods in the direction of music of the last thirty years embarassing. Its loyal user base is also aging and the proprietors seem oddly content with that. If it was brought up to date in terms of interface and styles it would be an absolutely killer tool that no one would want to be without, and would be first in a field of one with all the success that entails. "

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Dan,

Quote:

To be terribly frank, as a program it's a ginormous Christmas tree of aged core code with many new baubles added each year. The user interface is very old fashioned and reminds me of something designed by the tent crew of a circus in terms of buttons and colours. It's not intuitive and is a mass of menus. So it looks amateurish which totally belies its ability to produce very professional results. A total rewrite is way overdue. The musical bias is way out of touch with today, and leans heavily on old jazz and country, with some of the nods in the direction of music of the last thirty years embarassing. Its loyal user base is also aging and the proprietors seem oddly content with that. If it was brought up to date in terms of interface and styles it would be an absolutely killer tool that no one would want to be without, and would be first in a field of one with all the success that entails.

100 +'s.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

...Its loyal user base is also aging

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
I also notice BIAB being mentioned in forums and almost every time it goes something like "what an amazing program but the interface is terribly outdated". My personal feeling is similar. The "tent crew of a circus" comment cracked me up but unfortunately rings true. And I agree with the comment about the musical bias being out of touch. Elderly jazz players is probably not gonna be a huge market going forward. (Absolutely no offense intended toward jazz players of any age!!)

As I have mentioned on another post, the tutorials appear to be last updated in 2006, about 12 versions ago. New videos, of the current or most recent version, included for free along with my $469 purchase would be a lot more appropriate.

But then again...I find myself asking why exactly we should care about all of this? Once you go through the BIAB learning curve you are able to create some pretty amazing music. The output is extraordinary even though the tool is not in tune with the latest software standards. I understand why PG should be concerned about all of this because not keeping up with the times is usually not a good thing for long-term survival. But why do we care as users? Wouldn't making BIAB easier to use make our lives harder as more and more people started using it to compete with us?

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,497
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195