Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

note:
the new vocal processors that are triggered by audio and not by MIDI provide a different challenge, which I will address in the next post

here's how I obtain a dedicated audio chord stream to trigger devices like the new vocal processors, or in my case, the Digitech HarmonyMan pedal.

1) I set any MIDI tracks to use soft synths
2) I set BIAB to send chords to the MIDI port on a channel that goes to my hardware MIDI module
3) I run one of the audio outputs from my MIDI module to the pedal that needs audio chords

works perfectly, and it gives me something to use the old MIDI module for now that soft synths are superior (to mine, anyway)

The main reason for using the hardware module is because it provides me with an audio out jack. If you have a sound card that lets you direct output to multiple audio outputs, you can do it that way even better.

But, you will get best results if you isolate a channel with only chords, first note being the root note. If you send the whole song to the device, it will get confused. Don't ask how I know this.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Yes indeed.

Focusing only on the MIDI input of the device when it can also take an Audio input to derive chords, one can simply invoke whatever software synth (DXi ro VSTi) and use an audio output for the input to the voice synth.

One could also still use MIDI by downloading and installing one of the freeware/shareware MIDI routers out there, which can be used in conjunction with BB to derive separated MIDI outputs by the channel.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

So if you want to be the MIDI program trigger man, and you're a guitar player - what's the best MIDI controller (I would guess it has to be a foot controller) that facilitates storing, saving, and visually viewing the many different patch changes you might want in each different song ?

I use a Behringer Vamp (rack unit), but it's definitely not the best, it's just what I could afford when I bought it.

If you have a MIDI guitar, the VG88 would probably be quite fun. Line6, Digitech, Boss etc all have MIDI controllable gear. You want something with a PC editor? That WOULD be cool, but I never looked into that. I just fat-finger stuff into Piano roll based on the controller page that is always in the back of the manual

What I'd LOVE to find is a tube amp that has a way to control the knobs using MIDI input. But, even if that animal exists, I'm pretty sure I can't afford it.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

So if you want to be the MIDI program trigger man, and you're a guitar player - what's the best MIDI controller (I would guess it has to be a foot controller) that facilitates storing, saving, and visually viewing the many different patch changes you might want in each different song ?

Behringer sells a programmable MIDI footcontroller that is, like most other Behringer offerings, very affordable.

Check to see that they still have it in their lineup, though. Dunno. My two are long in the tooth and still working very well, despite my attempts to kill 'em, portage inclusive.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

...as I recall the main limitation to using BIAB with vocal processors is the fact that BIAB only allows one MIDI port, which, until recently, was directed to a synth.

Good for you Pat, you remembered. It is the use of the VST/Dxi soft-synth which prohibits sending midi to the Vocal processor.

Quote:

...If your songs have all realtracks and no MIDI, you can direct this port to the vocal processor.

Yes Indeed.

Quote:

...I think its also possible to set the midi instruments to use a dedicated VSTi which then frees the port to be dedicated to whatever hardware device might find it useful.

This has not been possible in the past. Have you tried it as the VSTi still requires the selection of the default VST/DXi Synth in the Midi Output Driver Selection.

"...One could also still use MIDI by downloading and installing one of the freeware/shareware MIDI routers out there" Been there, done that, no joy - may just have been beyound my abilitiies.

Quote:

...I WILL say that it is a real hoot when you get BIAB and a voiceworks hooked up at the same time! It makes me fall in love with playing music all over again!.

On that point we are in complete agreement.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
?

I recall John Conley picked up a hardware vocal harmony synth awhile back, was using it with Band in a Box and posted how he accomplished same.

There are others as well, but I don't recall their usernames.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, with an external hardware Synth it is very doable. But once the SoftSynth is evoked the midi no longer gets directed to the vocal processor.

Now John (Silvertones) did propose a way of redirecting channels within the tracks (or something like that - similar to your suggestion above), but that was way beyound my ability to comprehend and even he recommended two other options -1) use the audio signal not the midi or preferablly what he does, use RB. I moved to Reaper.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Good for you Pat, you remembered

ONE IN A ROW! WOO-HOO! I'M ON A ROLL!
(I can't remember ever remembering anything before)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Yes, with an external hardware Synth it is very doable. But once the SoftSynth is evoked the midi no longer gets directed to the vocal processor.

Now John (Silvertones) did propose a way of redirecting channels within the tracks (or something like that - similar to your suggestion above), but that was way beyound my ability to comprehend and even he recommended two other options -1) use the audio signal not the midi or preferablly what he does, use RB. I moved to Reaper.

As I recall (TWO IN A ROW!) John is doing this in Realband, which alows multiple MIDI ports. VERY easy in RB, and that's the way I like to do it.

But, back to BIAB:

I want to test a few things, then I'll get back to this topic.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I did concock a way to use it in BIAB but I only did that to help those that what to use BIAB so I don't remember the workaround. Do a search if interested. Yes I use my Harmony G XT in RB and I use an AUDIO piano trck to feed the info. I made a style that uses only piano playing chords in root position. Works well.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
So John, do you think the conclusions of our efforts a year ago would be any different now with BIAB and its two revision changes?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
OK, just got back from testing. IT WORKS NOW! Here's how:

<<blah blah a bunch of wrong stuff blah blah>>

update: wrong. see next message

Last edited by Pat Marr; 01/06/13 02:18 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
update:
no it doesn't work. Bummer.

I got so intent on noticing that I had a band AND MIDI to the voiceworks that I failed to notice that the MIDI instruments in the band weren't playing.

No matter how I toggle it, either the voiceworks gets the MIDI or the band, but never both.

It is SUPPOSED to allow the THRU channel to send data to the hardware port if you are using MME audio drivers with the "ROUTE MIDI THRU TO MIDI DRIVER" box checked... but that ain't happening here.

Sorry. False alarm.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Ya, exactly as we left it a year ago.

Easy Options Include:

Move to RB
Move to Reaper (or other DAW)
Use BIAB but use hardware synth (no VST/Dxi)
Use BIAB with only RT's

Thanks for verifying.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There is another easy way to use BIAB with one caveat. Your softsynths need to be VSTi.
1. DL and install Midi Yoke-Free
2. DL and install Cantabile Lite-Free
Canatabile is a VST/VSTi host. I use it in my live keyboard rig with a controller.To use it with BIAB and a harmonizer you use Midi yoke as the output driver and midi yoke as the input driver to cantabile. Insert what ever VSTi & VST effects you want in cantabile. Setup Cantabile to pass the midi data to your particular midi out that goes to the harmonizer. In BIAB do the "output Chords" thing. Set the harmonizer to receive on the same channel as the "output Chords" is sending on.
This is only for the more tech minded here.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I was wondering if it was Midi-Yoke or Midi Ox that was mentioned before, Thanks for that Silvertones!

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,402
Posts732,580
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200